The Night Fairy...Mio's New Friend

Dark Angels With Black Souls

   It has been a week since the dark angels made the deadly "Blood Tie" with Ashiya Mio.

   Mio tried to run one day, when they were all sleeping (or whatever they do) in their rooms at around one. However. Before she could place her hand on the door, she suddenly found her hand couldn't lift. She struggled to raise her arm, but it refused to touch the door.

   She tried to climb out of her window in her bedroom, but she couldn't even open it. She couldn't put a single finger on the stained glass.

   At first, she was forced to come downstairs and sit at the kitchen table with them. Key had smiled at her. "What do you want for breakfast, Mio?"

   "Nothing." Mio snapped, glaring at them.

   Key's smile faded, and his eyes grew hard. "Smile." He ordered.

   Mio felt a shock go through her body, and the corners of pulled up into an unwilling smile. Mio fought to push her cheek muscles back down, but it refused.

   Key's breathtaking smile came back on his handsome face. "There we go. Isn't it so much better to smile?"

   After that, Mio made sure to smile in their prescence, so they wouldn't order her again.

   When they fed on her, as well, they ordered her to kiss them back. Mio hated that most of all. She found as long as she couldn't hear their voice, they couldn't order her around. She hid in the basement, the attic, one of the hundreds of rooms in the dozens of hallways and corridors. Anywhere to get away from them.

   But they always found her.

   That morning, as she sat glumly in her stool forcing herself to smile and talk to Jonghyun and Minho, Taemin bounded into the room. "Good morning, Mio!" He sang.

   Mio stiffened, and turned around, her fake smile still frozen on her face. "Good morning, Taemin."

   Taemin held out his arms. "Don't I get a good morning hug, like I do every morning?" He asked teasingly. It was true. Before the "Blood Tie", Mio used to hug him every morning. He was just too adorable. Now, though, she thought of him as a deadly wolf, pretending to be a cute puppy dog.

   She stared at him. Taemin stopped smiling. "Hug me." He ordered.

   Mio tried to stop the wave of electricty going down her body, but her body jumped out of the stool, walked over, and wrapped her arms around Taemin. Taemin smiled again, like a little cupid, and hugged her tightly.

   As soon as Mio knew the "Blood Tie" was done with, she immediately pulled away and sat back down. Taemin, not affected in the slightest, cheerfully sat down next to her.

   "What's for breakfast, Key?" Taemin asked. Key tapped his head with a wooden spoon. "Get Onew to make your own food." He scoffed. "I make breakfast only for myself and Mio."

   "Fine." Taemin pouted. "Oneeeeeeew....."

   Mio tuned out the happy chatter, the silly banter. Before, she would have laughed along with Jonghyun, or if things got too rough, she would sit with Minho and watch. Now, it made her sick. How could they act so normal when they knew full well they were keeping a girl with them against her will?

   Suddenly, something that had never happened before happened.

   The doorbell rang.

   Mio jumped in fright. Minho, who was pulling Jonghyun and Onew apart (they were attacking each other with chopsticks), let them go. "It's her." He groaned.

   "Only SHE will ring the doorbell." Onew agreed, heading to the door. Mio hovered behind them all. "What's happening?" She whispered to Jonghyun.

   "A....friend....is here." He said. 

   The door opened, and Mio heard a girl's voice, warm and light and as soft and fluffy as a marshmallow, rang arond the house. "Are you going to let me in, or what? You know I can't come inside without a dark angel's permission."

   "Yeah, yeah." Minho's voice said wearily. "Come on in, Hea Won."

   The girl called Hea Won laughed and Mio heard soft footsteps pad into the entrance hall. She heard Taemin's joyful voice scream out, "HEA WON!!!" 

   Hea Won laughed again. "Hello, oppa. You're as ridiculously annoying as ever, I see."

   OPPA?

   "I-I thought demons don't have relatives." Mio stammered to Jonghyun. "And from what I hear, she isn't even a dark angel."

   "That's right."

   Mio spun around. Hea Won was standing in the doorway to the kitchen, smiling at her.

   The first thing Mio noticed was how BEAUTIFUL she was. She had a smooth, perfectly flawless face. Long eyelashes, and (Mio realized with a shock) her eyes were a deep, majestic purple. She was taller than Mio, but was still an inch shorter than the other dark angels. She wore a dress of a beautiful, soft midnight blue, that shimmered and caught the light even when she wasn't moving.

   Not only that, but poking out from underneath her long, wavy black hair, was a large pair of absolutely gorgeous wings, the kind of wings you see on fairies in make-believe stories. They were a dark purple-blue and black, and flecks of pink and a lighter sky blue flickered through the jeweled wings.

   Mio immediately felt self-conscious of her own appearance. It was the first time in, well, months, that she's seen another woman.

   Hea Won looked her up and down, then smiled wider and held up her arms.

   Mio took the invitation, her eyes filling up with tears, and ran into her arms.

   "How come she doesn't do that to us?" Key whispered jealously to Taemin.

   "I'm surprised to see a human, especially a beautiful one, in this house." Hea Won said, ruffling Mio's hair. "My name is Hea Won, and I'm a Demi. A Night Fairy, to be prescise. I've known these boys for a long time. They were my brothers, in a way."

   "You all look the s-same age." Mio stuttered.

   Hea Won smiled. "Technically, they have been alive a few hundred years more than me."

   Mio had never asked their age, since she assumed they were immortal. Hea Won read her thoughts and shook her head. "No, no, we aren't immortal. It all depends on when we are "born". We live a long time depending on how healthy we are and what kind of demon we are. They are dark angels, and they can live from about five thousand to seven thousand years. I'm a Night Fairy, so I can live from about three thousand to six thousand years."

   Mio's ears rang from all the information that she didn't want to know.

   "You look ill, are you okay?" Hea Won asked in concern.

   Immediately, Mio was surrounded by the five dark angels. "Mio, you do look pale. You need to go back to bed." Onew said, alarmed.

   "I'm fine." Mio snapped.

   "Go back to bed." Minho demanded, accidentally ordering her.

   Mio felt the wave of electricity roll through her, and she stiffly walked upstairs.

   "Wait a minute!" Hea Won's voice said from behind her, sounding infintely angry. "Oppas.....what the hell is that? Did you "Blood Tie" with her?"

   "Um...er....well...." They stammered.

   Mio closed the door, just as she heard a ferocious scream. "WHAT DO YOU MEAN, IT'S FOR THE BEST?"

   A few seconds later, Hea Won appeared at her doorway. "May I come in?" She asked angrily.

   Mio, who was crouched up in her bed, said, "Uh...sure."

   Hea Won slammed her door closed and sat at the edge of her bed. "So, they kidnapped you and brought you here."

   "Yes."

   "Because you taste amazing from all those negative emotions."

   "I suppose so."

   "And you didn't want to be here, so you tried to leave."

   "Yes."

   "And they "Blood Tie"d with you so you can't run away."

   "Yes."

   Hea Won flopped down on the bed, her wings fluttering. "I can't believe my oppas!" She fumed. "How can they do this to you?"

   "They said it's because they loved me." Mio whispered. Hea Won turned around to look at her, her purple eyes unreadable.

   Mio took a deep, shaking breath. "They said they loved me, and although I didn't know how I felt, I tried to love them back. I couldn't." Her voice shook more and more. "They....they got really angry when they found out I was only trying. I got angry too, and wanted to walk straight out. They stopped me and...and did that....that...."

   She started sobbing, and Hea Won hugged her. Mio cried into her shoulder.

   "I hate it, Hea Won sshi." Mio sobbed. "I hate it, and I hate them. I'm so scared. I hate it when they order me around. I hate not having any control over my body. I hate being forced to kiss them, hug them, smile at them.....I hate it, and I'm scared. I don't know what to do."

   "Tell me about it." Hea Won said, patting Mio's back.

   "Well....well....I thought if I showed them I didn't love them back, if I only did those things because they ordered me to, I thought they would lose interest in me and eventually bring me back home. But they don't. If anything, they just get MORE obsessed." She sniffed. "I don't know why they are so obsessed over me. I don't know how they love me, either. But I know for sure, what they are doing is NOT love. Even me, who's never been in love in my entire life, knows what love really is, or should be."

   Hea Won nodded, her eyes filled with sadness. "I understand, Mio. Don't worry, Just go to sleep for now." She gently pushed Mio under the covers and walked out.

   "Oh, one more thing." Hea Won said, flashing Mio a brilliant smile. "Call me unnie."

   "Thank you for listening to me, unnie." Mio said, smiling for real this time, then letting exhaustion overwhelm her.

***********************************

   "We need to talk."

   "What?" Key asked her. "Is Mio okay?"

   Hea Won dragged them into the living room. She glared at them.

   "What are you thinking? Binding her like that? You KNOW she doesn't want to be here."

   Taemin looked both ashamed and defiant. "If we don't, though, she'll leave us!" He said defensively. "I NEED to see her. You've never been in love before, dongseng, you wouldn't understand."

   Hea Won shook her head at them. "I may not know what love is, but even I know it hurts to love somebody who doesn't love you back."

   "We thought if she stayed with us, she'll love us back." Minho whispered sadly. Hea Won glared at them again. "And keeping her here, against her will, ordering her to kiss and hug you, as if she actually loved you, will that REALLY make her love you back?"

   Minho cringed away.

   Hea Won sat down and faced them, her face twisted with sadness. "I love you oppas like I would love a real oppa." She said. "But I can't just sit here and let Mio suffer like this. Are you sure you love her?"

   "Yes, we do!" Jonghyun yelled angrily. "We love her! We love her so much we'll DIE for her!"

   "How do you know this is love?" Hea Won yelled back. "Do you love the person, or do you just love the taste?"

   "We...." Key started to say, but his face dissolved into confusion. "We....we....we...."

   "You don't even know." Hea Won said sadly. "What you have for her doesn't seem like love, it seems like an obsession. And if you really love her, and if you really want her to love you back, you better grow up and learn what love is."

   They stared at the wise Night Fairy in awe.

   "If you keep obsessing over her, you'll just end up hurting her -- and yourselves -- in the end." She told them seriously. "You scare her, you know that? She's scared to death of you guys. My advice -- instead of feeding off of her, feed on someone else for a while, and focus on spending more time with HER. Take her somewhere, talk to her, and get rid of the "Blood Tie"."

   "We can't...." Minho said in despair. "She'll leave us."

   Hea Won shrugged. "If you really love a person, you'd let her go if she didn't love you, and you would just be happy as long as she is happy. You would sincerely be happy for her when she does find someone she loves. Until you know the difference between "love" and "obsession", she will never love you."

   She stood up. "I have to go. But remember what I told you, oppas. This obsession of yours, you may say it's love, but love that is not real isn't love at all."

   She walked away, but stopped to say, "Tell Mio I say goodbye and good luck."

   Then she was gone, a flutter of wings in the night.