Chapter 7: My Personal Psychiatrist.

A Tale of A Backpacker

 

elloericaa.tumblr.com

follow me, know what's up, that's what's up.


I sat in a restaurant close to the bay, with a spectacular view. From every viewpoint, the sights of water and sailing ships could be seen. In the distance, the setting sun graced the water's edge, creating flashes of orange to mix with the blues and appear across the water of the bay. The inside appeared just like the outside, colorful and vibrant. With cheerful sailing decorations, and a matching bar, the restaurant attracted all crowds of people: families and partiers. It was a wonderful restaurant, but it was the last place I thought I'd be eating with a stranger. More importantly, Hoya.

Hoya smiled at me from across the table, "It's amazing here isn't it?" he asked, almost reading my mind. 

"Yeah," I replied, "I've never really seen a restaurant like this. It's different and refreshing."

Hoya nodded and looked back down at his menu. His eyes shifted ever so often from left to right. You could tell that he was indecisive, even when it came to his food. He really was interesting man, confused maybe, but definitely interesting. Once Hoya was ready, he called over a waiter to take out orders. With two orders of fish and chips, three bottles of Budlights, and two bottles of water, the waiter walked away. 

"So, tell me about those memories," said Hoya as he played with the salt packets on the table. 

I shrugged, not making eye contact, but instead looking at the way his hands twirled the packets, "I just tend to think about the past, a lot. I regret so many things, that it hurts. Do you ever get that feeling?" 

From my peripheral I saw Hoya nod, "All the time. I lay awake at night wishing I could have done something better with my life. Like, I feel that I could have been someone, if it wasn't for all the I had to go through in high school." Just as he said that, our drinks came to the table. There were just so many drinks for just two people.

"I get what your saying," I replied, "You okay driving later?" I asked this as I began to open my first bottle of beer. He nodded, telling me that he'll only drink one. His alcohol tolerance was extremely high, he claimed. 

I chuckled and began to down my first beer, "I would just pause whatever I was doing, to think about my mother. I think about what we hadn't done and what she hadn't seen." I roughly place my beer on the table and look at Hoya, "I feel like after my mother died, I lost myself. The character that she had, made mine, and without her, I became hollow."

"I'm sorry Hana," he replied, "It looks like we're both just people we wished we weren't." 

I nodded in agreement. We became silent as we drifted through our own thoughts. How different could Hoya have been if he had pursued his dreams? How different could I have been if my mother didn't influence so much of me? As I went deeper into my thoughts, the waiter brought us our food. We ate in a comfortable silence. It was pleasant. 

As we finished, Hoya began to laugh. Questioningly, I asked him about his sudden outburst of laughter. "I realized that when I'm with you, I tend to just rant, vent, and release my emotions. It's almost as if I am speaking to a psychiatrist instead of a stranger from Korea," he said.

I nodded in agreement. I couldn't believe it either. Yes, I am a stranger, and so is he, but our interactions were warm and almost family like. It's as if we had been friends since childhood. "I know right. We are each other's psychiatrists. It's funny since we're both strangers," I said with a small smile.

Hoya nodded in agreement, "I feel like as each other's psychiatrists we should both recommend each other long vacations. So that I can get away."

"Just saying, I'm already on vacation! But, I should recommend-- THAT'S IT!" I yelled, "Go on vacation Hoya!"

Hoya chuckled, "Me? On vacation? I haven't gone on vacation since the second grade."

"Exactly! You need to step away from work! You don't even have to go anywhere! You can just let your mom handle things at the Hostel and tour Europe!" I suggested, "But again, it's all up to you. This is just advice from your psychiatrist. I just want to add that your mother says that you never go out." I crossed my arms and shook my head sadly.

"I do go out!" stated Hoya, "I'm just busy. I can't get up and tour Europe for two weeks!"

"You can try," I said as I finished my last bottle of bear, "Now, let's go home so you can think about it, and I can get some rest."


okay, well this is the route I wanted to go with my story. I hope this is okay? (:

I want everyone to see that this story is mainly developed on the character's internal conflicts. There won't really be so much of an external conflict, but more of the character's finding themselves and erasing the past, with the help of each other. 

I will also be introducing people that they meet along the way, INFINITE members!

This is a light hearted story, think about it like a movie. A movie about self-discovery. :D

That's totally what I'm going for. I hope you guys like it!