Chapter 4: Long Live Madam ChoHee

A Tale of A Backpacker


elloericaa.tumblr.com

follow me, know what's up, that's what's up.


 
 “You must be staying here?” he asked, “My name is Hoya, and welcome to 78 Clink.”
 
I stared at this stranger named "Hoya". Why? Because I didn't know how I should react. A stranger comes up to you on the street, randomly introducing themselves to you, how would you react? My father always told me to avoid and not speak to strangers. My mother thought the complete opposite. I was sixteen when my mother told me her opinion on strangers.

“Don’t listen to your father,” stated my mother, “Hana, how can you meet new people if you don’t talk to strangers?”

My parents and I were on another vacation and were walking around Venice’s Town Square. We were chatting about the tour we just went on and the sites we saw, when a stranger came up to me. He kneeled in front of me and handed me a flower, then he winked and walked away. He looked about seventeen years old, but I still wasn't comfortable. Out of fear, I moved behind my father, holding him by the waist. 

"Strangers are scary," I said

My father automatically agreed, "Yeah! Hana, you should be scared when a guy comes up to you and gives you a flower." He always was over-protective with me, especially when it came to guys.

"I am," I admitted. I was minor with no experience with dating. Yes, I've liked a few boys, here and there, but I've never had a man approach me like that. More than shock, I felt fear.

My mother just shook her head at me and chuckled. "There is no reason for you to be scared. How much do you want to bet that he thought you were cute?"

My mother just loved trying to set me up on dates. When I turned sixteen, my father agreed to let me go on a few dates, here and there. My mother, having a special case of selective hearing, only heard the 'agree to dates'. So, my mother took any chance to set me up with a cute son of a co-worker. Unfortunately, I wasn't really up for blind dates, especially ones set up by her. 

"Always trying to find your future son-in-law," muttered my father. 

"Hey! Not only that, but we have to teach Hana not to be scared of strangers," stated my mother, "Come on Hana, let's leave your father and go meet some new people."


Without being shy, I introduced myself to Hoya, "Hey, my name is Hana." 

"It's a pleasure to meet you. Can I show you inside?" Hoya asked. I nodded. "Do you need help with your bags?" He reached for my bag, but I pulled my bag closer to my chest, extending my arms to wrap behind my back. 

"No, it's fine. I can carry my own things," I said as I began to walk towards the building. I was not afraid of strangers, but I definitely wasn't going to let a stranger hold my belongings. I've learned through many vacations that not everyone in the world is who they seem. They may be the kindest soul in the valley, but temptation can change everything.

Hoya just chuckled behind me, and then ran to keep up. "So, what are you doing here in London?" 

I looked up at him and shrugged, "I'm not actually sure yet. I know I want to look around, meet new people, and eat great food, but I don't have any concrete plans," I told him, "Actually, this trip was really impromptu."

"Oh?" he said questioningly, "Well, I won't pry on your business."

"Um, thank you," I said. 

We finally reached the entrance to the hostel. He held the door open and let me walk in. Hoya was right; the inside was just as beautiful as the outside. Every detail of the lobby has either a historic touch, or a modern feel. The hostel really put the best of both worlds, modern and old, into this building. 

"Who do we have here, Hoya?" asked an elder woman behind an old, wooden desk in the center of the room. It must of have been the check-in, because it was the only desk in the lobby. The woman smiled at me as she brushed strands of her white hair from her face.

Hoya was trailing behind me, "This is Hana. She said she was staying here."

The older woman smiled at me. She looked me up and down, but her smile never left her face. Yes, it was a bit creepy, but she didn't seem like she had bad intentions. "My name is Madam ChoHee. By chance, are you Korean?" she asked. 

I nodded and in the most polite and formal, Korean I had, I said, "Yes, mam."

Madam ChoHee looked up at Hoya and grinned, "I like her already. Why don't you show her around London?"

Hoya, who had already left us and was talking to a man whom seemed to be an electrician, looked up at Madam ChoHee. He nodded his head at the electrician, who handed his several stacks of papers, then walked back towards Madam ChoHee and I. "Were you talking to me?" asked Hoya, "I was talking to SungJong about the new lights to be put in the--"

"Aish, this boy," cursed Madam ChoHee, "Always so busy with this old-place, never has time to meet new people. Son, you don't have a social life anymore. Stop worrying about this place and get a drink!"

My eyes widened. Who would've known that such a free spirit came from such an older soul? 

Hoya held the stack of papers closer to his chest with one arm. The other arm was awkwardly rubbing the backside of his neck. "Umma, who would take care of this place, besides me?" Hoya asked, "You know I would love to take Ms. Hana out, but look at all my paperwork and the bathroom on the 3rd floor is broken again, and--"

"Madam ChoHee, it's fine," I interrupted, trying to get out of the awkward situation, "I've traveled before. I'm pretty sure I can make my way around London without a problem."  I could already see one similarity she had to my mother, but I didn't want to point it out verbally. Her wanting to set up her son made me laugh.

Madam ChoHee sighed, "Alright, but the least Hoya could do is show you to your room." She threw a pair of keys at Hoya and pointed in the direction of the elevators. 

 

With a sigh from both Hoya and I, we walked to the elevators together. He pushed the up button and when the elevator came, we entered together. We didn't speak. Just the sounds of elevator music played as we went up floor by floor. Before we reached the 7th floor, I finally said something. 

"So you run this place?" I asked. Hoya nodded. And that was the end of our conversation. 

We got off the elevator and walked down the hall. "This should be your room," Hoya said while handing me the keys. I thanked him and was about to enter the room when he called me. 

"Hana," he said, "Um, if you don't have anyone to meet, I don't mind showing you around tomorrow afternoon. If you don't want to it's fine also. I just don't want my mother to guilt trip me later about not showing you around. I guess she felt bad since you were alone, and you're Korean, and--" 

"Hoya, I am perfectly capable of exploring this city by myself," I teased.

Hoya's eyes widened, "Oh, I didn't mean to come off that way. Well, this is awkward, I should just--"

"--But it would be nice having a tour guide tomorrow," I interrupted, "I'll see you tomorrow then?"

Hoya smiled, "Yeah, you will. 



 

well, I just hit an all time low in cliche. but oh well, it's more fun to write about cliche things. 

I just want to say that they aren't going to become a romantic couple just by this. I really hate that. It needs development first. lol. 

so, yeah, and I REALLY LIKE putting the word Madam in front of a name. it's fun. 

long live madam chohee, okay what am I writing now -.-

okay, subscribe, comment, enjoy! (: