Chapter 4: Closer To Heaven

What Happens In Heaven?

*JUNG MO POV

I woke up and I was feeling dizzy. I saw that it was already 6:00 am. I slept that long?! I looked or In Young but I only saw her school uniform hanging outside her closet. I got up and she went inside still in her pajamas. “Oh, hey, you’ve been asleep for I don’t know how long. Anyway, I made breakfast. Let’s eat.” She said and went out the room again. I saw her wearing the necklace. I followed her outside the room and sat in front of her on the dining table. “Sorry if it’s just ramen. I still hadn’t bought anything for a week now.” she said and began eating. I was feeling so hungry so I ate a lot too. “Oh, by the way, uhhmmm… Hee Chul appeared on my mirror yesterday when you fainted.” She told me. “Hee Chul hyung?! Jeongmal?! What did he told you?” I began to ask. “Well, he said that the reason why you fainted upon touching the necklace was because you can’t have your powers back unless you’re able to accomplish your mission for me. He said that God sent you to me because I’m your mission and you’ll only get your powers back if you’re able to fulfill your mission to me and I really don’t know what mission you have to do for me, really.” She said plainly. I was in shock. “Oh, and he also told me that you’re the Angel of Music.” She continued. “I… well… I am… but… I don’t know that mission about you.” I told her.

*IN YOUNG POV

I left Jung Mo at home and went to school by 8:00 am. I was also pondering on what Hee Chul told me last night until I heard a piano playing on a nearby music store. Could this be connected to my parents? I thought really hard.

*JUNG MO POV

I was bored at In Young’s place. I wanted to go out and figure out why I was sent to her. There’s got to be some reason why and music has something to do with it. Because it won’t even make sense if she’s not even connected to music but I’m being sent to her.

*NARRATOR POV

In Young’s father was a professional piano player and her mom was a cello player. But they taught In Young back in her childhood days to play the guitar. In Young knows how to play the guitar as well as the musical instruments her parents were famous with. But after her parents’ tragic death, she stopped playing and lost her touch. She even stopped in composing the song that she was about to play for her parents on their anniversary. She tried hard to focus on her studies and forget the music but whenever she hears a sound of a piano, a cello, or even a guitar, she remembers how miserable her life became when her parents died.

<< FLASH BACK.

“In Young, we’ll be going out for a while okay? Just stay here and watch TV. We’ll be home soon. We just need to pick up your mom’s newly repaired cello from Mr. Song.” Her father said as he ruffled her hair. “Arasseo, Appa. Take care. I love you.” She said and hugged her parents not knowing that it was her last time hugging them. “We love you too, In Young, so much. You’re our greatest gift of all.” Her mother said as she hugged her. She just smiled and bade them goodbye and after an hour, a call coming from Seoul Hospital crashed her life. “I’m sorry, In Young, we did all that we can…” the doctor said and looked down.

*IN YOUNG POV

Why do I cry whenever I hear a piano being played? Why do I need to be left alone? Why didn’t I die with my parents? Why do I need to suffer like this? The rain began pouring down on me. I felt like I didn’t want to come to school so I headed to where my parents were peacefully laying. It was cold but I can feel their warmth in this lonely cemetery. No one can see me cry here. No one can feel my pain and my longing for my parents to be with me again. But then I no longer felt the rain hitting my skin. But it was still raining. I looked up and it was Jung Mo holding an umbrella towering me. “You’ll get sick you know.” He said looking at me then on my parent’s grave. “How did you know I was here?” I asked him. “You have my powers. I can feel it if there’s something wrong with you or if you’re in danger and I can easily find you. This time, I felt that you’re sad.” He said still looking at my parent’s grave. “My power leads me to you. It lead me here and even answered my question of how are you related to music.” He said and smiled. “You’re the child of the prodigies.” He said and looked at me.

*JUNG MO POV

In Young was still quiet when we reached home. “Have you seen my parents in heaven?” she asked me as we were sitting side by side the sofa. “Well, I was with your parents when I came to heaven. If you look at my grave, your parents and I died on the same day. Plus, I was one of your mother’s students in guitar class.” I said trying to remember everything. “They were surprised when they saw me. I knew your parents because they were like my idols and I was one of their loyal students.” I continued. “They were really sad when they realized that they couldn’t come back to you anymore. All I remember was when your dad told me that we could’ve been good friends if ever I met you. My uncle was the one who repaired your mom’s cello.” I said and sighed. “I guess we’re connected even before, huh?” I said as I looked at her. She was smiling probably lost in her parents’ memories. “How does my mom look like?” she asked me and looked at me. “Well, she looks like you. A lot like you actually but… but…” then her phone rang. Why can’t I tell that she’s more beautiful than her mom? What’s happening to me?

*IN YOUNG POV

One of my teachers called me asking why I was not in school today. I said I was sick and did a lot of excuses. I really don’t want to attend class today. I just want to hear Jung Mo tell me stories of heaven. “Is it okay if you tell me more stories? I don’t want to go to school today.” I told him and sat beside him again. “Well what do you want to know?” he asked me smiling. “Anything. Wait. Hee Chul is the Angel of Vanity? But… vanity is a sin right?” I asked him. “Well, not actually vanity. He’s just the angel of those people who love themselves and care for themselves so much.” He said and chuckled. “In Young, why did you stop music in your life?” he asked me. I hugged my knees and looked at the coffee table. “Because every time I hear a piano or any musical instrument play, I remember my parents and it hurts me so much.” I said. “You should not stop it since it’s the only thing that keeps your parents alive in you. Can’t you feel them when you play?” he asked again. “That’s why I stopped. I don’t want to remember how miserable I was after they died.” I said starting to cry again. Jung Mo looked at me and began wiping my tears. “Now I know why was I sent to you.” He said and smiled. I leaned onto him and we stayed like that for a long time.

It was almost lunch when we decided to go out and shop for food. It was still raining and I also thought of buying Jung Mo clothes since he’ll be living with me. “Buy me… clothes?” he asked. “Well what’re we going to do? It’s not like you could wear that every day. Besides, you need to find a job or something because I don’t have that much money, you see.” I told him, he just nodded. It’s been a while since I hadn’t stayed outside our house this long. Jung Mo was all the more enjoying his time being alive again. We were about to go home when he saw a sign outside a music store. I hesitated to go inside because I was still suffering from that trauma but he held my hand tight and went in with me.

*JUNG MO POV

We were about to ride the bus home when I saw a sign outside a music store which says, WANTED: GUITAR TEACHER. I asked In Young to come in the store with me but she was trembling like someone’s going to kill her if she went inside the store. And so I held her hand tight and gave her a nod of encouragement before we went inside the music store. “Annyeonghasaeyo!” the lady by the counter greeted us. “Hi! I was wondering if that post for guitar teacher is still available, I’d like to apply.” I told the lady. “Oh! You want to apply as a guitar teacher? Wait, let me call my boss.” She said and smile before making her way to the back of the store. I noticed that In Young was no longer holding my hand and was just staring at the grand piano beside the window of the store. She was admiring the piano like it was her father. She then sat and closed her eyes and began to play.

[A/N: This is one of the musical pieces I used on our drama and it reminds me much of how sad In Young is. Please click the link below and listen to it to let it make you feel her emotions for her parents. ^^]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LbkxP_UCBQ

It was a heart breaking melody. I can feel how much she wanted her parents to be with her again but then looking at her, she still hasn’t lost her touch. I know that I can get it back.

*IN YOUNG POV

Eomma… Appa… can you hear me play? Do you know how much I’m missing you? Do you know how hard it is to wake up every day and not seeing or even hearing your voices? I miss you so much… I love you so much… I want to be with you so bad… I want to see you so bad… please let me feel that you’re still here with me. I love you, Eomma… Appa…

*NARRATOR POV

In Young continued to play not minding anyone else at all. Everything that she wanted to feel was all put to a sad melody; A melody that her heart screams for everyone to hear and know; A melody that her parents won’t even hear. A sad melody which made Jung Mo feels that he needed to be her. It was the sad piano melody of In Young’s heart.

*JUNG MO POV

The shop owner and the lady were surprised to hear In Young play. After she played the piano, they were all in awe of her and they even clapped their hands to acknowledge her.

“I’m sorry!” she said quickly and bowed before leaving the store without me. Aish. “Sir, are you with her?” the boss asked me. “Err… Yes. She’s my friend. I’m Kim Jung Mo by the way.” I said and offered my hand. The boss shook it and looked at it. “Oh yes, I can see here that your forte is really playing the guitar but I have a better idea.” The boss told me smiling.

*IN YOUNG POV

I’m such a klutz! How could I let myself play the piano?! Aish! In Young! You’re one total jerk! And even in front of Jung Mo and those people! Aiiissshhh!!! >.<I mentally slapped myself and waited for Jung Mo at the bus stop. But as I looked back at the incident, I realized how Jung Mo was looking at me. It was as if he wanted to hold me and tell me that everything would be alright. AISH! MOON IN YOUNG! STOP THINKING OF IMPOSSIBILITIES! And a mental slap from me again. “Are you okay?” it was Jung Mo. He was looking happy. “Wait. Before anything else, please don’t mention anything about how horrible I play.” I said and pouted. “What? No! I got accepted but there’s a problem.” He told me. “Huh? What?” I asked him. “Well, they only agreed about me being a guitar teacher if I can make you agree to be a piano teacher too.” He said scratching his head. Then the bus arrived.