The Helper

The Truth Behind Amber Josephine Liu

“TADA!!!” Sulli shouted as she releases her hands from covering Krystal’s eyes.

Krystal blinked a couple of times, trying to adjust to the light. And when she finally sees what is in front of her, her eyes widen in shock and confusion.

“This… is your perfect solution?!” Krystal shouted at Sulli while pointing at the giant wheel of fortune with numerous names and picture in the slots.

“Yes. Now relax and let me explain.” Sulli said to her before walking to the wheel. “Introducing the ‘Wheel of Amber’!!!” she said excitingly, complete with sparkly eyes and excessive hand gestures, something that is just a perfect rip off from a Doraemon comic book / cartoon episode.

“The ‘Wheel of Amber’? Really? Don’t you have a better title?” Krystal cut off.

“Shhhush! You see on top of this wheel there is Amber unnie’s picture with an arrow attached under it and below we have different slots with different pictures and names. There is Minho oppa, Kris oppa, L oppa, and the list goes on.”

“What is my picture doing there?” Krystal asked.

“This is just a prototype, so I just randomly put your picture there. Now, here comes the good part. All Amber unnie has to do is grab the wheel and spin.” She spins the wheel, mimicking her words. “And now, we just let fate decide.”

“Let fate decide?” Krystal repeated.

Sulli did not reply and watched intensively as the wheel began slowing and soon stopped. Krystal’s eyes went wide when she saw the picture that is under the arrow.

“Oh look, fate decides Amber to be with me. How are you going to explain that?” Krystal said.

“Like I said, it’s just a prototype. For what we know I can just put anyone’s picture there.” Sulli defended herself.

“I can’t take this anymore. Let me handle this.” Krystal said before fishing out her phone from her pocket.

“But---“

Before Sulli can even begin her long talk of how great the ‘Wheel of Amber’ is, Krystal immediately put her hand up, signaling Sulli to shut up.

“Hello?” Krystal said to her phone. “Yeah, we need your help. Pronto!”

-----------------------

“Just alone?”

Amber jumped a little from her seat hearing those words coming from behind. Looking back, she saw Suzy leaning to the bench where she sits.

Amber has been stuck in her room for who knows how long because of her relationship trouble and after hearing about the bet, she knows that it has gotten way more serious than she had imagined. She figured, since staying inside the dorm has done nothing good to her, perhaps going to the park in the middle of the night will not be such a bad idea. So, here she is now.

“Mine if I join?” Suzy asked again.

Amber did not say anything and scooted over so that the side of the bench was wider. She then patted the empty seat next to her, signaling Suzy to sit down. Suzy just smiled and went sit beside her. And then there was silence, but it was not an awkward silence, but rather peaceful one.

“So, how’s life, unnie?” Suzy asked after some time, while looking into the twinkling light across the street.

“It’s good.” Amber answered without looking at her.

Suzy did not answer; instead she gave her a disbelieving look.

“Well, at least I’m not locked up in my room anymore, right?” Amber said.

Suzy just sighed. “You know unnie, you spend too much time thinking about your relationship.” she commented.

Amber was about to reply, but Suzy cut her off just a second faster.

“I mean, really. We’re young. Relationship is supposed to be something fun for us. Sure drama is good, but too much drama is never pleasant. Really, watching your relationship evolves is like watching a freaking soap opera.”

Well, that is Suzy for you, bold and blunt as always. Perhaps Amber needs just that to correct her messy life right now. Usually it was Krystal on her side to do all that, but since Krystal is kind of involved in this whole drama, it is probably better to ask a third person’s opinion.

“Too much fun is not good either, Suzy a~”

“True, but like I said, we are young. Relationship is supposed to be fun. This is the time when we can date whoever we want; cheating, kissing, even sleeping around is okay.” Amber immediately raises her eyebrows. “Okay, perhaps the last one is not okay, but you get what I mean. You’re just a little over 20. Relationship dramas should not get you down. If it’s too complicated, just break up. If you can’t move on, find another guy. If you’re bored, again, find another guy. Simple.”

“Yeah, but then it’s not a relationship. I’m not like you who can easily break up with someone and quickly find a replacement.” Amber said before finally sighing. “Why can’t I be like you? Why is everything so serious and full of drama?” she said before leaning back to the bench, titled her head back, and closing her eyes.

“Then just be me, be free, be single. You know, like SuJu oppas. y, free, and single.” she sang. “No strings attached.”

“Yeah, like that will work for me.” Amber countered.

“Why not? You can’t say no if you never try.” Suzy said.

“I don’t know, Suzy. I don’t like being in a limbo, and no strings attached is exactly that.” Amber said.

“You’re stubborn, unnie. That is one of the qualities I hate and love about you.” Suzy said while snaking her arm around Amber’s waist and hugging her.

“Now, since I can’t persuade you into turning your relationship into ‘no strings attached’. The least you can do is provided me with some info.” Suzy said while taking Amber’s hands in hers. “Please, just for me. Unnie, you’ve been hiding from everyone, please don’t hide from me.” she continued while looking at Amber with those big puppy eyes.

“I hate you. You know I can’t say no to those eyes.”

“I know. It’s my secret weapon.” Suzy smiled. “At least talking about it will make it better, hopefully.”

“Before I tell you anything, can you tell me how did you find me?” Amber asked while slowly letting Suzy go.

“Krystal called me. She said it was a state of emergency. She kind of said something about Sulli, and wheels, and guys, oh… and bets too. Yeah, I forget. She just ranted immediately after I pick up the phone and I just woke up that time so I couldn’t really remember clearly.”

Amber shook her head. Suzy’s answers had always managed to amaze her. Suzy and her 4D personality, perhaps that is just the perfect thing Amber needs right now.

“So, are you going to talk? Just say anything you want. I’m going to be the best listener you’ll ever have.” Suzy said with a smile.

“I don’t know where to begin.” Amber said. “Everything is just so messed up right now.”

“What happened, unnie? You two looked so happy before.” Suzy said.

“I don’t know. I guess long distance relationship really took a toll on us. We rarely see each other and our schedules make it even harder for us to even call or skype or have an actual conversation. All we do is just greeted and texted; and I don’t think it was enough.”

Amber sighed before continuing.

“Maybe from the start we were never a match.” she said.

“What do you mean?” Suzy asked.

“I’ve heard a lot of people saying I made a big mistake by choosing Kris over Minho, saying that Kris’s cold personality doesn’t click with mine—“

“Well, do you believe them?” Suzy cut her off.

“I…”

“Everything is only true when you believe it, unnie.” Suzy said.

“For few occasions, I believed in what they said. But I don’t know, Suzy. Everything is just so complicated. I love Kris, I really do, but it seems that everything is keeping us apart.”

“No one is keeping you apart from each other, unnie. You just have to make yourself believe it. Like Romeo and Juliet.”

“Yeah, but those two didn’t end up together.” Amber debated.

“Well, think of it this way. Would they rather be apart in this world or be together in heaven or perhaps hell? I mean, since they killed themselves; and suicide is an ultimate sin, right?” Suzy trailed off. “Okay, the point is those two loved each other so much even though their families are enemies and basically thorn them apart.”

Amber just looked at her with wide eyes, confused on where she is taking the conversation.

“What I’m trying to say is that first and foremost, you have to believe in yourself and him in order for this relationship to work.” Suzy said. “Oh my God, I sound like a marriage consultant!”

Amber just chuckled at Suzy’s reaction to her own words. That is Suzy for you.

“Perhaps you’re right.” Amber said, smiling to her.

“Of course.” Suzy replied. “Oh, and one more thing. Unnie, you have to make a decision.”

“Decision? What do you mean?” Amber asked.

“Everyone is waiting, and I mean everyone, those people are so feed up with their bets that I’m convinced they will spend half of their money buying those albums for the bet. Min unnie already placed 100 CDs, and I heard that we are still in the bottom. I can’t imagine how many CDs the other is betting.” Suzy trailed off, making Amber raises her eyebrow. “Sorry, but really you need to make a decision; and the sooner the better.”

Amber did not say anything and just looked at Suzy with questioning eyes.

“Unnie, everyone is waiting. Minho oppa is still holding on to you and I think it’s time to set the record straight. If not he’ll be trailing on you forever and it might damage your relationship. I know you’re very loyal, but I don’t think any guy likes seeing his girlfriend close with another guy, even if you only treat him as brother. And words from the INFINITE boys, apparently L is on crack train; he is hoping you would get him back after you broke up with Kris.”

“But I haven’t broken up with Kris!” Amber protested.

“That’s my point. If you don’t what to break up with Kris, or if you don’t want to get back with L, then you have to set the record straight. Apparently these boys are… dense.” Suzy explained. “Oh, and another thing. Rumor from the EXO-K boys says that the EXO-M boys have been watching Kris with close eye so that he didn’t do anything stupid. Apparently, he is just waiting for you to break up with him.”

“What? But I haven’t said anything.”

“That’s the point. You guys haven’t talk. And you haven’t been out from your dorm. I know I’m not a relationship genius, but I know that is not right. You cannot expect problems to solve themselves, right?”

Amber sighed. “I guess you’re right.”

“I know.” Suzy smiled victoriously.

“I just feel that both of us are so stupid.” Amber said, this time it was Suzy who was left with questioning eyes. “We had this typical love quarrel and we can’t even solve it. It’s just normal, love, jealousy, everything.”

“And it’s normal that people cannot solve it.” Suzy said.

“Yeah, but still… I just don’t get him sometimes.” Amber said.

“And why is that?”

“Do you know? When we were fighting and shouting at each other, he actually ‘accused’ me of spending more time with the girls. Isn’t it absurd? It’s normal for me to hang out with you, or Min, or Fei, or Jia, or HyunA, or SNSD unnies, or any girl for that matter. I just don’t get why he is so jealous of me spending time with---“

Amber’s eyes widen in shock as she was suddenly cut off. Suzy is kissing her!