The Suitors

The Truth Behind Amber Josephine Liu

Minho growled as the ball bounced out of the basketball ring. He is a good player, but every time he is having a bad mood, he loses focus and none of his shoot will go in, just like today.

He had asked Amber for a quick basketball one-on-one with him, but she refused yet again. Ever since his visit the other day, she has been avoiding him. She did not go to the gym at her usual time, and she always passes any invites that will lead her to him. But the one thing he hates the most about all these is that whenever they met by chances, she always acts like they were fine.

He was hoping she can go out from this phase soon. Seeing her with someone else is torture, but not seeing her at all is hell.

Minho dribbled once more and jumped to make a shoot. And yet again, the ball bounces off after hitting the board. He groaned in frustration as the ball keeps bouncing on the court. Already tired with Amber, their relationship, and the ball, he let himself fall down and just lied there in the middle of the court.

As the sound of the bouncing ball gets weaker by the second, Minho’s eyes slowly died up on him and when the ball rolls off to who knows where, he finally closes his eyes completely.

Perhaps he is going to sleep right then and there, but the stepping sound coming near prevented him from doing so. Still, it does not prevent him to just lie down and relax. With his eyes close, his other senses become more sensitive, especially his hearing. He can hear the footsteps getting louder and louder, which only means that whoever the person coming near him is close. And then the footsteps suddenly stop. He can feel someone placed a water bottle near his head and then sits down next to him.

Slowly he opened his eyes and was taken completely by surprise with the big brown eyes that he knows too well.

“Taemin ah~, why are you here?” he asked while getting up.

“I figured you might want some company.” Taemin replied while handing him the water bottle.

“Thanks.” Minho said while opening the cap and drank half of the bottle.

“I guess you were waiting for Amber noona?” Taemin asked.

Minho sighed when he heard her name. “Yeah, but she declined my invitation. Again.”

“I really admire you, hyung.” Taemin suddenly said, to which earned a questioning look from Minho. “I mean, no offense, she rejected you over and over again, but you remained beside her. I don’t think I can do that if I was in your place.”

“I’m not as strong as you think, Taemin ah~.” Minho said. “I’m actually a coward. I keep holding on to her because I don’t think I can live seeing her with someone else and knowing that I did not fight harder for her.”

“But you did fight for her. You fought hard.”

“Yes, but at the end I lost. As a good sportsman I supposed to just admit defeat and let the winner enjoys his victory, but I didn’t.”

“But everything is fair in love and war. You did nothing wrong, hyung.”

“So are you going to do the same thing if Krystal says no?” Minho suddenly asked, while looking directly into his eyes.

Taemin did not reply. He was a bit shock and taken aback with the sudden question. What will he do if the time comes for her decision and she does not choose him? Will he keep holding on like Minho? Or will he just let go and let her have her happiness?

“I don’t know, hyung.” he finally answered.

Minho sighed. That is the exact answer he gave to Jonghyun when he was asked a similar question. Though at the time, Jonghyun seemed to have already predicted what Minho will do.

“Whatever the verdict is, please don’t cling on her too much.” Jonghyun said at that time. “Every girl deserves her own space you know.”

He was being the over protective dino sibling as usual. It was a miracle for Minho that Jonghyun did not give him the full lecture on why he should not do it and how he supposed to treat Amber. Well, they are close like siblings and they were dubbed as SM Town’s Dino siblings along with Donghae, but please, even her own sister, Jackie, did not act like that. Minho needs his own space too you know.

“Take it from the guy who already went through it, Taemin. When you are able to let go, it is better to let go.” Minho said.

“I hope I can do that. It’s going to be hard though, especially with her being in the same company and Kai being my best friend.”

“Are you that sure that you will still be best friend with him after all this?” Minho asked. “My relationship with Kris does not suffer any damage because we are not close to begin with, but you and Kai are best friends, some things are bound to change.”

“I have faith in my best friend. Before everything happened, we already made a pact that if we fall for the same girl, we will fight equally hard and let the girl decides. And remains good friend whoever she chooses. Hopefully I can keep my share of the promise and he can keep his.” Taemin said.

“And besides, Krystal and Amber noona ended up just fine after you came in between them.” he added.

As much as he loves Taemin as his younger brother, there are times when Minho really hates his guts. And this time is one of them. It is not that he loathed him completely. It is just the fact that Taemin easily slips out and makes the situation becomes awkward for everyone else, like he just did moments ago.

Truly, Minho never regretted leaving Krystal to pursue Amber, even though Amber did not accept him. But still, sometimes he still feels guilty to Krystal whenever someone brings out the subject. When he left, it really took a toll on her pride. He has heard countless times already that because of him, she was having a hard time moving on.

It is weird how Minho always hangs on to Amber, while in his relationship with Krystal it is always her that hung on to him.

He really does not want that. Mainly because he really hopes that she can find someone that deserve her love and care. And second, because he cares about Taemin and Kai and all the other guys who is lining up behind her. Because if she cannot move on, doesn’t it mean that she will never accept either of those guys? Well, that is something he cannot put up with. At least with she being able to move on Taemin has a chance to be with her instead of hanging on without a definite answer.

Minho sighed as the past clouded his mind. Maybe leaving Krystal like that was not the best decision he has ever made.

They were once a very loving couple. Everyone around them thought the two were just perfect to each other. It was like a perfect fairy tale where the princess able to meet and settle down with her prince. They loved each other; that’s for sure. They loved to play, laugh, and just have fun. Everyone envied them. They envied on how he able to make her smiled like she never did before. They envied how she could make him loosen up from his strict image. But everything was not so much of a happy ending behind closed doors.

The problem arises when Minho began to spend more time with Amber. It was perfectly fine at first, especially considering the fact that he already hung out with her more often even way before he dated Krystal. But then, he began to be over protective towards her and tried every single way to get her to spend time with him. Krystal did not really notice this because those two are like bros to her and of course, her busy schedule with her sitcom does not really help either.

Minho really expected her to be in fury and exploded right in front of him, but that did not happen. Instead, she was calm and accepted the break up wholeheartedly. He was surprised. That is not how Krystal usually acts, but he was grateful she acts that way. Perhaps over the course of their relationship, she has matured more.

And of course, it is not right to think about Krystal without thinking about Amber along the way. Besides, she has been in his mind every second since he became a free man anyway. He really thought he would win her.

Come on, everything was pointing at him. The way she talks to him, the way she was at ease around him, just plain everything. Of course, he has some doubts, especially since she is usually closer to people who is from North America. Don’t get her wrong, she is not discriminating anyone or being racist, it is just the way she is. She is just more comfortable talking with people that have the same language and background as she has. Well, who wouldn’t, right?

But the fact that she is also very close to him despite their differences, really made him believe that she was smitten with him. And it turned out that he was wrong, and most people were.

He will never forget the time he walked in on the two of them while they were practicing their rap for SM Town concert, that time without Key. He really thought they were practicing as usual that there is no decision made yet. When they finished, Kris gave her a high-five and told her a job well done. Minho thought nothing was wrong with that until Amber suddenly gave him a peck on the lips and told him that he did great.

He was more than shock. It was shock, surprise, anger, sadness, everything just came into one. Minho can still remember the proud look Kris has on his face and the apologetic Amber next to him. And that was when Amber finally told him that she is already off the market.

But that does not make him back away. He knows that he can make her happier and that is why he kept being close to her. He kept supporting from beside her instead of being miles away from her.

He even purposely went back to Korea a day early from Taiwan just so that he can support her comeback with f(x) on their new album ‘Electric Shock’. When was Kris when all this happened? Still in Taiwan or China. And he only bothered to send her a ‘good luck’ text or phone call. Truly, Minho thinks even a blind man can see who is the better guy for her.

Minho still does not get what goes on in that head of hers. Out of all the guys she has dated, Kris is the least compassionate about their relationship. He did not worship the ground she walks in, he did not really show her that he loves her; he acts like they are not dating but just mere buddies.

It is so weird to see Amber with a kind of guy like Kris. Because almost every guy who has a history with her, always tried to be beside her. Take Myungsoo for instance. Even after being apart for so long, he came back to take her back if she ever breaks up with Kris. And Myunsoo is very sure about that. Minho has been seeing him around her so much lately that it starts to sicken him. Myungsoo towards Amber is just like bees with flowers.

And Minho is having a hard time getting close to her right now because other than the fact she continuously trying to avoid him, he is also busy with his new drama, and Myungsoo acts like a bodyguard around every other guy that is a potential treat.

The only good thing that comes out from all these is the fact that besides avoiding Minho, Amber also avoids all other guys that see her as the opposite . Well, either that, or she is just that clueless that Myungsoo is actually trying to get her back.

“Hyung.” Taemin called, snapping Minho back to reality.

“Yea?” Minho turned to him.

“Mianhe, hyung, but if Krystal did not pick either of us because she still hasn’t moved on from you, I’m really going to punch you in the face.”

And Minho’s eyes went wide in surprised. Slowly he gulped down the saliva in his mouth. Perhaps their maknae is not so nice after all.

------------------------------------

“Come on, hurry!” Youngwon shouted to Jisu who is trailing behind him with Daniel in his arm.

Daniel growled. He was just about to take a quick nap after their performance, but apparently his hyungs have something else in mind. So before he can even plant his on that couch inside their dressing room, Youngwon and Jisu had already dragged him away to who knows where.

“Where are you taking me?” Daniel asked.

“You’ll see.” Jisu said.

Daniel wanted to protest once more, but decided not to since he will be seeing it sooner or later anyway. So without further complaints, he just follows. And after passing a long corridor, few doors, and a lot of people, they finally arrived at Super Junior’s dressing room.

Daniel’s eyes went wide when he saw the name plastered on the door. Sure, Super Junior is a great sunbae and they always share greetings and all, but he is completely 100% sure that none of s are close enough with them to even hang out with any of them.

“What are we doing here?” Daniel asked as Youngwon knocked on the door and opened it.

Without further permission, the three boys immediately help themselves and walked into the crowded room. Sure ten men in one room are crowded enough, especially with all the coordis and managers, but this time it is really crowded, as if Super Junior has doubled in size.

Before Daniel can even say anything more, he was immediately cut off by one shouting guy. And the guy who was shouting shocked him even more.

“OKAY! Bets are now open people. Minimum bet is 20 CDs or 20 online purchased albums!” Key shouted.

“What?!” someone protested. It was Jinwoon. “Last time it was only 10!”

“Well, this time the bet got more interesting. And I’m the bet commissioner, what I say goes. So deal with it!” Key shouted back.

Daniel can see everyone began to shout at Key, placing their bets. You may think it is odd to bet with CDs and albums, but not in idol world. You see, to idols, money is not an option, they already had tons of them, but albums on the other hands are much more valuable. The bet goes like this, people will place their bets using number of CDs / albums, if they lose then they have to pay the winner the same amount of CDs they have bet on. So for example, say Daniel bets 25 CDs and he loses to Jinwoon, so he then has to buy 25 CDs of 2AM’s new album. If Daniel wins then all the other people will have to buy Dalmatian’s album based on their bets. The higher the number ones placed will be advantageous when they win because then the losers have to buy an addition of the CDs based on that number. So if Daniel placed 25 CDs as his bet and Jinwoon placed 20 CDs, and then Jinwoon lose, he then has to buy 45 of Dalmatian’s new album. And if somehow all the people who placed their bets lose, then everyone has to pay to the commissioner, meaning they have to buy SHINee’s album based on how much they bet.

“What am I doing here? Haven’t I told you that I’m not going to deal with all this betting stuff anymore?” Daniel asked.

“I know. I know. But just this once, okay? The last time we placed a bet, we ended up losing big time because we didn’t listen to you. So this time you have to be our good luck charm, okay?” Jisu said to him.

Daniel just sighed. The last bet he was talking about happened few months ago. It was during the time Amber got herself into her little love triangle with Minho and Kris. Everyone was betting for Amber to be with Minho, but he had told the Dalmatian members that his had a feeling that Kris would win. They were very much devastated when they lost, but everything is already done. And since, no one really listens to him; Daniel had made it clear that it is better to just stay away.

The other members sometimes invite him to join, but he declines every time. Other than because of that one time, the bets are sometimes a bit childish for his taste. There was the bet on how long Kris and Amber will last, on who will be Krystal’s next boyfriend / rebound guy, on what hair color GD is going to change by the next month, on how many times GD will change hair color in a month, how many books Seohyun has, who will win Euro 2012 (okay, this one he actually placed his bet, but come on, it’s Euro 2012, you just have to place one!), will Yoo In Na accept Jin Hyun Woo, will Taemin be a member of Kyu-line, will T-Ara add another member, and the list goes on.

Usually the bet commissioner changes depending on what bet it is, but Key is the only one that is the most active, mainly because he was willing to go to all that trouble in organizing the bet. But it is not that surprising actually. He is Almighty Key of SHINee anyway. Besides, he is able to recruit all 91 liners, so organizing a bet is just a piece of cake for him.

“What is it this time, Key?” Daniel asked.

“Who will Amber end up with? Minho, Kris, others? Place a name and place your bet!” Key shouted.

“And why are you having this in Super Junior’s dressing room? I think Donghae hyung is not going to be okay with one of his ‘sister’ best friend organizing a bet about her.” Daniel said.

“Oh relax. I already asked permission from him and Jonghyun hyung. And do you thing SHINee’s dressing room can occupy this many people?” Key replied.

Key is right, the room is basically packed. At least one member from every group is there. The whole KARA is there, well Nicole is probably there because of Key, but the others are definitely for themselves. SHINee’s Taemin and Onew are also present, along with f(x)’s Luna and Sulli. T-Ara’s Eunjung and Jiyeon, Beast, 2PM’s Chansung and Woohyun, 2AM’s Jinwoon, SuJu’s Ryeowook, Eunhyuk, Sungmin, and Yesung, all INFINITE’s members except L, SNSD’s Seohyun, YoonA, Yuri, Hyoyeon, and Sunny, HyunA of 4minutes, Miss A’s Min, Jia, and Fei, MBLAQ’s G.O. and Lee Joon, UKISS’ Dongho, Eli, Kiseop, TeenTop, After School’s Nana, Lizzy, Bekah, Raina, and still many more who cannot be mentioned one by one. Basically almost every group is present. Even EXO’s members can be spotted among the crowds. There are Suho, Kai, Chen, Luhan, Baekhyun, Lay, and Tao.

“Come on, Daniel, quick! Tell us a name!” Youngwon urged.

“No! I’m not going to do this anymore!” Daniel shouted as he tried to storm of the room.

“Don’t be a party pooper.” Nicole suddenly said. “This is all just for fun and games, and I bet Amber and the others already knew about this bet. Besides, it is not like this bet going to change whatever decision she has.”

Daniel just sighed. True on what Nicole said, but he still feel guilty on placing a bet about Amber, one of his best friend. He has heard a lot of rumors that Amber’s relationship is on the rock, Minho is still going strong with his campaign, and L is beginning to get close to Amber once more. But up till now, he still cannot figure out what that girl is up to. And that is odd, especially considering that he usually can easily read her like an open book.

You see, over the course of being Amber’s friend, Daniel has watched how she evolved from a tomboy girl that is one of the guys, into a stunning young woman that has guys lining up behind her. And he would be lying if he denied the fact that he was once one of those guys. But that was the past, he had already passed that. Right now, what important for him is to be beside her as her best friend.

Other than that, being one of her earlier friends, he had watched how her love story went, from back in California, followed with little romance during trainee days, and up till now when she is an idol. Of course, it is not always fun for him. There are times where he wished he can be on the other side, being her other half, instead of just being the best friend. But he already passed that stage, thankfully. Because it seems that Amber will never see him more than just a friend. There are also times when he is happy because he can see her smiles like she has never before because of that one guy. Of course, love is not always perfect and there are countless times when he has to lend her his shoulder as a place to cry on.

And out of all the guys she has dated, there is one story that still stings his heart and most definitely hers too whenever they remembered this. This story is something that happened way back, before Kris or Minho even knew her.

Back when she was still an SM trainee, Amber was already best friend with Daniel and Henry. Daniel had known her even when she was still in California and their friendship grew stronger after she moved to Korea. Because he was not in the same company as her, it is hard for them to meet up that often. That is when Henry came into the picture. Being also North American like she is, they both immediately clicked in language, culture, musical preference, and background.

There is also another guy that she is close to, his name is Julian. He was also a trainee and he along with Amber and Henry were close. They were the three musketeers they said. Amber really had high hopes that the three of them could share the same stage one day. But that dream can never come true because a year before f(x)’s Pinocchio album was released, Julian died. She was devastated by the loss and still misses him even up till now. And though she never explicitly says that she loves him more than just a friend, both Daniel and Henry knows that Amber loves him.

Truly, Daniel really tried to replace Julian’s place in her heart, but he soon realized that no one can replace Julian’s place in her heart. He will always be there no matter whom she ends up with. Perhaps that is why Henry finally let go. Daniel always knew that Henry already had feelings for her even from trainee days, but perhaps SJM’s debut and the problems with ELF, along with Julian’s death, made it hard for him to confess.

Daniel was even convinced that Henry had withdrew from the fight when he found out that Amber and L were dating, but it turned out that Henry was just waiting for the right moment. After L and Amber broke up, Henry came to her aid and became her next boyfriend. Of course, not immediately, but still, Daniel thinks that Henry can be classified as the rebound guy. And after Henry left to Thailand, she somehow got herself into a messy love triangle, or love rectangle if you also include Krystal into the equation.

Yup, Amber’s love life is a bit complicated, but Daniel is glad that only a handful of people knew about it. The media will have a field day when they get a hold of this story. Sometimes he wonders what it will be like to be his boyfriend. He actually already confessed to her, well perhaps confessed was not the right word. The tattoo on his back, the ‘One Love’ in Arabic, yeah, that was for Amber and he had showed it to her and said to her what the meaning of it. But apparently she was a bit dense at that time and did not what he meant, and he kind of chickened out at the last minute. Still, he is happy right now being her friend, at least he can still call her ‘turtle’ and she still calls him ‘drama’ even with the fact that she is already someone else’s girlfriend.

“Daniel! Come on! What do you think?” Jisu nudged him, bringing back from his thoughts.

“I don’t know.” Daniel answered.

“What do you mean you don’t know?” Youngwon protested. “You’re always good with this kind of stuff. Your Amber senses are amazing. How can you say ‘I don’t know’ this time? Come on, hurry up, Daniel! If you get this right we can win over a hundred albums! We need those sales numbers to increase or we can just say good bye to our bonus!”

“I don’t really know the problem between them, hyung. So I can’t really say anything. Amber has been very secretive about her relationship lately. She didn’t even tell me a single bit.” Daniel replied.

“Just pick something. Hopefully your gut instinct is right.” Jisu urged.

“I still can’t say hyung.” Daniel said as he thinks once more. “But I think there is one thing for sure.”

“What is it?” Jisu and Youngwon asked at the same time.

“I think the outcome of this bet will be very surprising.”

---------------------------------------

Author's note: Julian is a real person. If you read Amber's 'Thanks To' note from Pinocchio, you will know who it is. I read in a blog who provided the translation that Julian is an SM Trainee who died the year before Pinocchio was released. Apparently he, Henry, and Amber were pretty close. The part about Amber having a crush on him is obviously fiction since there is no prove of that and I made it up... Hehehehe... I think Kris, Lay, Chanyeol, Suho, D.O., Kai, and Xiumin were also mentioned there but under different name (probably their real name, of course).

Oh, and since I actually put a real person who already passed away I just want to say, may He Rest in Peace. Amen.

Don't forget to comment and subscribe.... Happy Reading!!! ^_^