The Other Girl

The Truth Behind Amber Josephine Liu

Krystal sighed as she watched the clock keeps ticking. She was waiting for Sulli after her drama filming, the two girls had agreed to relax, catch up, and just shop their stress away. But of course, Sulli has to come late. It was quite understandable really, drama filming goes over time every day, and Krystal already had a similar experience with her sitcom, so she knows the feeling. But it is still annoying to just wait alone inside a deserted café, drinking a cup of already cold cappuccino.

“Mianhe!” Sulli said as she hurriedly walked in and sat in front of her. “Kwanghee oppa kept laughing during the last take and somehow the camera director forgot to change the rolls so we have to re-shoot some scenes.”

“It’s okay. So how’s filming?” Krystal asked.

“It went great, beside the whole NG things, but everything was so funny, so I guess it’s alright.” Sulli started.

But before she can continue, the ringing sound from her phone cut her off. She quickly fished out her phone from her purse. “Dammit!” she cursed after she read the text she just received.

“What happened?” Krystal asked.

“Jungshin oppa from CN BLUE just added 20 CDs into his bet, and the BOYFRIEND guys just add another 17. B1A4 just joined but they immediately put 45. Sehun added 30 more, so now EXO is on the lead.” Sulli said with her eyes still glued to her phone. “These boys are just unbelievable! Hold on for a sec, Krystal.”

Before Krystal can say anything, Sulli already tapped her phone and immediately placed it on her ears.

“Key oppa!” Sulli shouted to the phone as soon as he picked up. “Add 100 limited edition AUTHOGRAPHED CDs to my bet!”

“WHAT?!” Krystal’s eyes widen in shock. “Don’t you think it’s a bit over the top? How many CDs have you placed in the bet before this one?”

Sulli did not reply her and shushed her instead, listening carefully to Key’s reply.

“Okay, just wrote it. I must say Sulli a~, you are becoming even more bold in placing your bet.” Key said.

“Of course. I have a good feeling about this one.” Sulli replied.

“Okay, have to go now, I have another calls waiting. Bye!” And with that, Key ended the call.

As soon as Sulli placed her phone back in her purse, she immediately smiled. She was feeling victorious and satisfied with the bet and like she said she had a good feeling about it. However, her companion was not so thrilled. As soon as Sulli looked up, she was faced with a glaring Krystal.

“I think you spend too much time with Heechul oppa and Minho oppa. Heechul oppa hates losing dares and bets, while Minho just hates losing, period.”

“Oh come on, like the same thing doesn’t happen to you when you were dating him.” Sulli replied.

Krystal froze in spot. As soon as Sulli realized what she just said she immediately regrets it. Though Krystal looks tough on the outside, whenever someone mentioned that period in her life, she still needs to compose herself so that she does not have a mental break down.

“Krystal, I’m sorry. It’s just slipped out.” Sulli said.

“No, it’s alright.” Krystal replied, trying to sound okay. “It’s all in the past.”

But Sulli knows that Krystal is not alright. Though it was in the past, but until this day the scene where Minho dumped her was still very fresh in her mind. And it seems that it would take a long time before that scene becomes just another distant memory for her.

-------------------------

Truly, months into their relationship, Krystal had a hunch that Minho was keeping something from her. She tried to be the nice girlfriend and did not pester over it further to Minho, but of course, nothing can be kept hidden forever. Krystal already had a feeling that he was going to cheat on her, though she kept trying to deny it. She was kind of glad though that Minho came clean before her and broke up with her before all those drama started to unravel between them. At least this way they have a short of ‘clean’ break up.

“Is this because of someone else?” she asked when Minho told her that he wanted to break up with her.

“Yes.” Minho said firmly.

“Does she know that you have feelings for her?” she asked again.

“No.” he answered.

“Who is she?” Krystal asked.

Minho stayed quiet and did not answer. Krystal opened once more. It was the time to test whether her hunch is true.

“Is it Amber?” She asked again before biting her lower lip. Suddenly Minho had his head hung low, trying to avoid her stare.

“Answer me!” Krystal shouted. It is already bad enough that he has feelings for someone else while still in relationship with her, and now he cannot even look at her in the eye? “Is it Amber?”

“Yes!” Minho shouted back while looking directly into her eyes. “It’s her.”

Though Krystal had suspected it, hearing the exact words coming out from his mouth was definitely a shock to her. She can hear her hearts slowly falling apart because of his words. It was just that cruel. She can feel her whole body was trembling slightly. Her vision begins to blur and before she realized why, tears have managed escape her eyes.

“Soojung, I’m sorry.” Minho said while walking towards her with opened arms, trying to pull her into his hug, hoping to comfort her.

“Don’t.” Krystal said as she brushed away his hands before he can even touch her.

But Minho was determined and kept walking forward. Looking at Minho like that somehow petrifies her. And before she can escape, Minho had already embraced her with his hug.

“I said don’t touch me!” Krystal shouted.

“I’m sorry, Soojung a~” Minho whispered to her.

Krystal struggled to free herself from the embrace. And after much wiggling, Minho finally let her go, hoping she could come down for a bit. But instead, he received a slap on the face. As he slowly touches his left cheek that is still stinging from the slap, he can see Krystal’s eyes were red and filled with tears.

“I hate you!” she shouted before running off, leaving Minho stunned in place.

He had never seen Krystal that angry before, or that sad. But he knows that he cannot do anything. His decision will be the best for the both of them, even though she cannot see it right there and then.

As Krystal cried and ran as fast as she could and as far as she could away from him, that little voice in her heart kept on wishing for her to turn her head back, hoping that Minho was trailing behind her, catching up to her. When she finally gave in and looked back, all she can see was Minho turning his back on her. And that was when she realized that Minho’s heart was no longer hers to keep.

------------------------

“Anyway, I still think the amount you placed is a bit too much.” Krystal said, trying to divert the topic from her past relationship. “What will Vic umma or Luna unnie said when they hear about this?”

“Oh relax, okay? It will be good when I win. Besides if it doesn’t turn out the way I wanted, let’s just keep it in the down low so that Vic umma doesn’t find out. I will personally buy those CDs, okay? So just relax.” Sulli explained.

“Doesn’t Luna unnie have some say about this? I mean she is usually the responsible one.”

“Well, apparently not. She just accompanied me to the meeting in SuJu oppas’ dressing room. The bet and all that stuff were all my game.” Sulli said proudly.

“Really? What did she do then? Making out with Onew oppa?” Krystal said sarcastically.

“Yes, exactly that.” Sulli answered.

“Really? Wow! And I thought those two always want their relationship under wrap.” Krystal said.

“Give them a break. They haven’t seen each other in months. Even when we and SHINee oppas have a collaboration they still cannot spend a little bit time together, so just let them be. It is better that way rather than being overly cool about it and ends up with their relationship on the rocks like what happened to Amber unnie. I don’t think our group can handle two broken hearts at the same time, especially with Luna unnie as one of them. You are lucky since you don’t live in the dorm with us, she will cry and rant all her sorrows all week long I tell you!! ALL. WEEK. LONG!

“Okay, okay, I get it.” Krystal said, trying to calm Sulli down from her high. “So, SHINee oppa didn’t place a bet? That’s kind of odd. Usually when Key oppa is the bet commissioner they placed a huge amount.” Krystal said.

“They did, well Taemin oppa did. He placed a huge amount the last time. I was quite surprise, usually the one that like to play bold is Onew oppa. But then again, Taemin oppa has changed quite a bit too. Did you know? He was neck and neck with Kai the whole time. I think they’ve gotten their rivalry a bit too serious now.” Sulli explained.

“And why are you telling me this?” Krystal asked.

Sulli did not answer; instead she just looked at Krystal with an ‘are-you-kidding-me’ look. Krystal immediately bowed her head down. Ever since the last SM Town concert, Taemin and Kai have been having continuous small battles and rivalry with each other. She really does not know how it started, but she knows that she is in the middle of it as the main prize. She just hopes that their rivalry won’t end up badly. Taemin and Kai are best friends for a long time and ruining that friendship because of a girl is not good. And the fact that the girl is Krystal herself makes it even worse.

“You know what; I think I come up with the perfect solution for this mess.” Sulli suddenly said after a long pause.

“This mess, as in…?”

“Amber unnie’s mess, of course. Your mess with Taemin oppa and Kai is still not in a difficult level yet. When a bet commissioner finally opens a bet on which person you will choose between Taemin oppa, Kai, and other people, then we’ll talk.”

“So, what do you have in mind?” Krystal asked.

Sulli lets out a smirk before finally saying “You’ll see.”