Flashback

The Fight for the Throne

A/N : So here is the second update! it took super long to write. and i was really tired when i wrote this and i havent read over so know there might be mistekes lolol. enjoy~

THIS HAS NOT BEEN EDITED lol i posted it in a rush


 


Flashback ~ Seven years ago

It all happened so fast. Her father had quickly pushed her into a hidden compartment in the wall, hastily hushing her to be quiet. He told her not to come out over and over again; whispering ‘everything will be fine’.

She repeated the words in her head like a mantra.

Everything will be fine. Everything will be fine. Everything will be fine.

But nothing was fine. Laeling had heard the screams of her parents as the hunters, vampire hunters, tore their bodies’ limb from limb. The screams pierced through her ears like knives, she was sure she could feel blood seeping out. Down across her neck, soaking into her new shirt. Down. Down. Down.

She could have been wrong but she was sure she could hear her dad, intertwined in his screeches of pain, still yelling everything will be fine.

Laeling didn’t know when she started crying but the tears were coming fast now. The hunters were long gone and she knew she was safe to leave the dark hole in the wall. But her limbs wouldn’t move. She felt as though they had been torn off, along with her parents’.

She eventually made her way out, not stopping to look at the remnants of her beloved mother and father, she ran. And ran. Until she couldn’t feel the limbs she shouldn’t have. She should be dead, with her parents, but here she was; completely fine and alive. In the undead way of course.

With nowhere to go, Laeling continued to run. She felt as though her parents’ killers were informed of her existence and were going to make sure they finished their job. Whatever that job was.

Of course, she felt as though she wanted to die. Why not let those hunters finish her off? But she didn’t stop running. She couldn’t shake the mantra out of her head. Everything will be fine.

She’d be fine. She’d make sure of it. For her father, not for herself.

-

“Whatcha doin out here, kid?”

The big man took a step towards the small girl. She was crouched under a bench; the rain was unmerciful and that was the only way she knew to stay dry.

“I’m not a kid.”

“Not a kid?” the big man chuckled, “should I call you a homeless young woman then? I was trying to give you the benefit of the doubt.”

Laeling felt anger sweeping into her veins. She quickly slipped from under the bench and flipped unto the top side so that she was now eye level with the burly man.

“Fiesty, aren’t we?’

“Why are you bothering me?”

“I see that you are in need. I came to offer a job. It’s simple and easy to do; you’ll even have a place to stay and food to eat. How does it sound?” The big man lifted an eyebrow waiting for Laeling’s answer.

Quietly, the young vampire thought about the man’s offer. Of course it sounded fishy. Every instinct Laeling had was telling her to say no. But she was tired of living on the streets and running from ruthless men.

Laeling jumped down from the bench, only coming to the man’s mid bicep. The burly man stepped back, surprised by her sudden movement.

“When can I start?”

-

“She’s a little short, but it’s kind of cute. People are into that these days, ya know? Those creepy es.”

“But it brings in the money, right Boss?”

Laeling watched as the big burly man conversed with the overly short man. He even called him boss. The vampire tried to bite back the need to laugh at the backwardness.

“How old is she?”

“Don’t know, sir. She’s a vampire.”

How did the big man know that? She had never told him.

The shorter man snorted and slowly walked over to Laeling. He, on the other hand, was only a few inches taller than her.

“You never know how old a bloodsucker is. It irks me but it thrills me at the same time. The customers will like the mystery. She could be 200 years old for all we know.”

Inwardly, Laeling was laughing. She was only 16. She wasn’t a ‘made’ vampire like they assumed.

The shorter man circled Laeling and walked even closer to her, breathing in her ear. “Welcome home, doll.”

The vampire shivered. The creepy boss man put an uneasy feeling in her. Everything in her mind screamed at her: ‘bad! Run! Bad!’.

But she stayed put.

“Your name?”

“L-Laeling.”

The boss man chuckled and shook his head. “No. Not your given name. You don’t use that here.”

Laeling tilted her head in confusion. What did he mean by that?

“Why don’t we name her, boss?” the burly man butted in, obviously he was excited to be a part of this.

“What do you have in mind?”

“What about Kestrel? It’s dark and tempting. Kinda like her hair.”

Laeling subconsciously touched her long black hair. Dark and tempting? Kestrel? What were these men blabbering about? Laeling just wanted to work so she could get her money.

“Hm. I like it.” The short man turned back to her and smiled, “Well Kestrel, My name is Kim Jonghyun. But you’ll call me Boss. Shindong here will you a room so you begin your duties. Ok?”

“You want her to start already, sir?” asked Shindong, the burly man.

“Well we have to test her skills. We have an easy customer. He doesn’t mind who he gets.”

Laeling was confused. Customer? What would she have to do? They weren’t going to train her? The vampire kept her thoughts to herself; too afraid to voice her concerns.

Shindong bowed to the Jonghyun man and grabbed Laeling by arm.She winced in pain at the sudden grip.

Before long they arrived at room darkly lit. It was only furnished with a bed. A camera was set up infront of it.

Only then did it begin to make sense to Laeling. The job she took was ion. And she was about to satisfy her first customer.

-

Laeling winced in pain as she felt a wet cloth touch her in between her legs. That area was extremely sore and it hurt to even move her legs in the slightest bit.

She pried open her eyes to see a slim hand attached to the wet cloth slowly cleaning her up. Her eyes traveled up to the owner of the arm to see a small petite girl with the most gorgeous head of hair she’s ever seen. It was long, wavy and bright silver. Like the moon.

The girl’s hand hit a tender spot and Laeling winced in pain. “P-please stop, it h-hurts.”

The girl looked up and the vampire noticed the artificial purple contacts in her eyes. “Oh you’re awake.”

But instead of stopping like Laeling asked, she continued her cleaning.

“I’m sorry but I can’t stop. I can’t leave you looking all bad down there. The first time is always rough.” The pretty girl’s eyes hardened at her own words.

“I just can’t believe that did that to a …” she mumbled it, but Laeling’s ears could still hear it.

“Wh-why did they do this to me?”

She slowly looked up and the pity was evident in her eyes. “I’m not sure, sweetie. Did you say yes to them?”

Laeling nodded slowly, “I didn’t know I was saying yes to this.”

“You never know, sweet. You never know.”

The silence was there again as the silver haired girl continued to clean Laeling. But soon, she was done. She pulled a soft dress over Laeling’s head and tucked the vampire into bed.

She slowly stood up from the bed, taking her supplies with her.

“Wait. Please….don’t leave me.”

The pretty girl smiled softly and nodded. She slipped under the covers pulling Laeling’s body close to hers. That’s when she noticed they were almost the same size.

“Sleep Laeling.”

“You know my name?”

She nodded. “But tomorrow you’ll be Kestrel.”

Laeling swallowed the pocket of air in . The thought of being here suddenly terrified her.

“What’s your name?”

“Luna.”

Somehow Laeling just knew that tomorrow she’d still be Luna too.

-

A few months had passed since Laeling had become Kestrel and though she hated her job, Luna made it worthwhile.

The silver-haired girl was quite popular among the rest of the girls and the men working there. She was even the boss’s favorite. They say he named her Luna because her hair shimmered like the moon. And it did, whenever she walked through the halls her hair trailed behind her, sparkling and shimmering like a comet.

Luna was especially fond of Kestrel and often got her out of the trouble she got into.

Except one day, Luna’s help wasn’t enough. The boss had woken her up earlier than usual; telling her some important customers had come and it was extremely vital that they left the establishment in a very pleased mood.

“Here she is gentlemen,” Jonghyun pushed her into the room while she was still in nothing but her night shirt, “fresh, young, innocent. This meets the criteria, right?”

Laeling turned and faced the three men. One was short but buff, and his voice was rough and gritty; not very pleasing to the ears. The other was slightly taller, with an equally deep voice but more feminine face. The last one was the most attractive to one to her. He wasn’t short but not tall, and his voice was soft and strong. She imagined he would be a good singer.

“I like her.” Said the buff man, “but what do you think, Himchan, this was your idea in the first place.”

Himchan, the feminine one, chuckled, “this was planned for you, boss. It’s whatever you want.”

The cute one stayed quiet. He was obviously of no importance. The other two paid him no attention. It seemed to Laeling like they brought him for lack of better choice.

The buff one interrupted her thoughts of the cute man. “We’ll take her.”

Wait. She was going to service all of them? Not at the same time, right?

“Are you sure she can handle it?” It was the first time the cute one had spoken about her.

Jonghyun nodded worriedly. “Yes, yes. She’s rightly experienced. Aren’t you? Go with the men, Kestrel.”

This bastard of a man expected her to just comply with getting banged by three men? He must have lost his nonexistent brain.

“No.”

Her boss’s head whipped back faster than she’s ever seen.

“What did you say?”

She cleared and looked him straight in the eyes. There was only so much she would do. Only so many lines she would cross.

“Hell. No.”

A loud smack was heard in the room as Jonghyun’s hand connected with her face.

“Don’t you ever refuse me again. Now go.” Jonghyun forcibly pushed her forward. She felt someone catch her as she looked up to see the cute man.

“Are you ok?”

Laeling shook her head no and jumped away from him. He might have been cute but he was here to use her.

“Daehyun, stop. Don’t use that on her.” Laeling could barely hear the buff one telling the cute man to stop. She was suddenly very tired as her eyes begin to drift shut. The last thing she remembered was Daehyun’s arms around her.

-

“What you used on me? Was it a sleeping spell?”

Laeling had only been awake for only a few hours but Daehyun had given her clothes and they were now on their way somewhere important.

“Somewhat. You were unconscious.”

“So you must be a warlock?”

Daehyun smirked. “Correct. And you must not be a human?”

Laeling nodded and extended her fangs, running her tongue along them. “Vampire.”

“Is your boss a warlock?”

“Kinda. He’s half werewolf, half warlock. He’s name is Bang Yonguk. But only call him Bang.”

Laeling nodded in understanding. “Why did you take me from there?”

Daehyun scoffed and looked at her through his rearview mirror. She was laying down in the backseat, she felt a little nauseous but Daehyun had said it was a side effect of the spell.

“It didn’t feel right leaving you there. You’re too young to be a e. You can’t be older than 18.”

“I’m 16.”

“Exactly. I couldn’t leave you there with that bastard, Jonghyun. I don’t know why my boss even does business with him.”

Laeling was beginning to think this business wasn’t exactly the type of business any of them should be in. Was this a mafia for creatures? But Luna was a human. Maybe they just include humans without them being aware. Plus, warlocks were known for their infatuation with the human race.

“Where are we going?”

“To go convince Bang to let you stay with us. You’ll have to work of course.”

“What…kind…of work?” The vampire tensed. They wouldn’t make her do things like she had to do before, would they?

“I won’t let them use you that way, Kestrel. More like simple stuff, like a secretary.”

Laeling nodded, she was pleased to hear she wouldn’t be in the line of work again. But her heart hurt at the thought of never seeing Luna again. Then and there she promised she would go back for her. When she was stronger of course.

“Oh, my real name is Laeling, by the way. Please don’t call me Kestrel.”

The vampire could see that Daehyun understood. Too many strangers had called her by that name.

“Well nice to meet you, Laeling. Do you have any skills you think could come in handy?”

Laeling shrugged. “I dreamwalk. Like into others dream. That’s how I feed actually. I the blood of a person in their dream. My mom was part succubus. I’m not sure if that’s useful though.”

“No, it’s perfect. I’m sure the boss will have plenty uses for that.” Daehyun said while throwing a smile back to her.

Laeling sighed in relief. Hopefully, she would finally have a place in the world. And it was all thanks to a warlock.

“Thank you, Daehyun. I really owe you own.”

-

Seven years later, a few months before the present

“Good job tonight, Luna. We have a fresh batch of girls for you to train.” Shindong gestured to the door behind him.

Luna couldn’t stop the sigh that escaped from . She wasn’t afraid of the guard’s reaction though. Everyone loved her here. This was her home. She had no family to call her own so she settled for the gangsters and the es she worked with.

“The boss wants to see you.”

“Of course he does.”

Opening the door, Luna silently stepped in and took in the sight before. There were five girls in tightly clad clothing. They were all shaking nervously so much like her first day here. It reminded her of Kestrel. She missed the missing girl so much. No one ever knew what happened to her. She promised herself years back, that she would find her. She was still unsuccessful.

“You called?”

Jonghyun nodded and patted his lap. Luna softly sat down, allowing his arms to encircle her soft frame.

“This is your teacher, girls. Meet Luna.”

All of the girls bowed. And Luna could tell she has unconsciously intimidated them. It wasn’t her fault that she was that way.

“I’m sorry, boss. But I’m a little tired. I’m sure you know why. Do you mind if I head on home?”

She observed the way Jonghyun tensed at her question but she also saw how he visibly relaxed when she caressed his cheek.

“Sure, Lulu. Go on home.”

She quickly jumped down from her bosses lap and made her way to the door. She didn’t even give the girls a second. She could care less about them, unless one of their names were Kestrel. The dark haired girl had made a major impact on Luna’s life.

Once she was in her dressing room, she quickly changed into something more appropriate; a revealing yet modest dress. She combed her fingers through her silver hair and made her way out of the building. I

It was long way home, so she shed her pumps and opted for the cold concrete. Cold feet were better than blistering feet.

The winter air was biting and harsh but she was used to it. Life was the same way.

She wasn’t even a block away from her work when she felt a pair of eyes watching her. A block later she knew that the same pair of eyes was definitely following her.

A step was suddenly heard a few feet away from her. Luna tensed; feeling the presence of another being.

She was scared. But years of being afraid, toughened a girl up. She whirled around facing the stalker.

“Why are you following me?”

The perpetrator’s eyes widened as if he was surprised to know she knew he was there.

The first thing Luna noticed was his eyes. They were dark and piercing and his irises were slightly tinged red. He was very tall and his lanky legs were clad in black. The boots he had on were huge and clunky but any guy with that face could wear whatever the hell he wanted to.

He was absolutely gorgeous. His slightly crimped black hair framed his strong features. It definitely went with the whole gothic thing he had going on.

The guy still hadn’t said anything.

“Are you deaf?” Luna was sure to make her question sound threatening. But she kept her voice quiet. The whole neighbor didn’t have to hear.

The boy began to circle her, his eyes ravishing every part of her body.

“I am not. Well I wasn’t the last time I checked.”

Luna rolled her eyes. Was that response supposed to be cute? It only made him sound more like the crazy person Luna thought he was.

“I pity you if that was supposed to be a pick up line.”

Suddenly, his whole demeanor changed. Luna could tell that this was how he usually was. Cocky.

She started walking off. She wasn’t going to waste her time.

"If I wanted to pick you up, I would have done so by now."

She looked behind her to see him trying to catch up so she slowed down a bit. Luna couldn’t help but chuckle.

"At least tell me you're not here to me. I've already had as much as I can put up with tonight."

She was telling the truth. She had 3 customers earlier and she was exhausted. Plus, she had to walk all the way home.

She briefly noticed the smirk on the stranger’s face but ignored it and decided to change her destination. She figured she wouldn’t be going home anytime soon anyways.

Luna could barely hear the boy behind her. But she caught his words.

"I'll try my best to not burden you."


 

A/N: How did you like it? did it help answer some more questions? I was going to add more but I'm so sleepy!

I'll probably come back and edit this!

-Che

main image NOT MINE! (credits to owner)