By Our Blood

The Fight for the Throne

A/N: Sorry it's late! Enjoy!~


 

 

The rain was pouring harder than ever as Luhan opted for his boots over his sneakers. He quickly slipped on his jacket, pulling up the hood to keep his somewhat-of-a-hairstyle intact.

He made his way out of his homey apartment into the relentless downpour outside. Luhan hated leaving the comfort of his home. The small apartment was nowhere near roomy, but he wouldn’t want anything bigger. He definitely had the funds to live somewhere more spacey, but he preferred the tiny place he had. He was the total opposite of his brother who lived in a mansion and also owned two vacation homes.

Grateful for the garage under his apartment complex, Luhan quickly dived into the warm interior of his car. Unlike his insignificant place, the vampire’s car was the newest model of Camaro’s. Its bright red paint job was what drove Luhan to buy it. And that it was fast. Very fast.

He arrived at Valentina’s in no time. He missed his girlfriend of two years, terribly. He hadn’t seen her in a week, due to the fact that Kris and his parents both found it necessary to require the young vampire’s services.

Contrary to Luhan’s sweet angelic features, he was a very skilled hunter. He was actually the most skilled hunter in the kingdom. It was probably the only thing the Queen thought he was good for. Considering the fact that the only reason he was ever called to have an audience with his parents was to carry out a duty. That duty was almost always hunting. Whether it be a criminal or food, his parents rather him do the dirty work. Luhan’s skill level was just a bonus.

Trying his best to avoid the unmerciful rain, the vampire hurried to Valentina’s front door. He reached for the second key under the mat, letting himself in.

Valentina lightly bounced off of her sofa. Obviously, she had been waiting for him.

“Luhan.” She breathed, in a hushed whisper. Extending her arms up around his neck, she shivered from the cold impact of his skin on hers.

Luhan just as eagerly hugged her back, arms clenching around her small waist. They stood there for a while until the vampire pulled back to capture the red-headed faerie’s lips. The kiss was soft and chaste but it was enough to warm every inch of Luhan’s body.

“I’ve missed you.” Valentina muffled into her lover’s chest, not wanting to break the physical contact just yet.

Luhan still had not spoken. He missed the faerie too much to try and put it in words. And Valentina understood this. She was the more vocal out of the two; it was something they both knew.

Breaking free from the faerie’s grasp, Luhan shuffled out of his shoes and made himself comfortable on her sofa. Following his steps, Valentina crawled into his lap, still desperately trying to warm him up.

“Your visit. How was it?” Luhan whispered the question into her hair. He loved the tropical scent that always radiated from her bright red locks. He mentally made a plan to take her to the islands with him one day. He could picture it perfectly; the aroma from the wild flowers mingling with the scent of her flowing red curls. He could imagine that it would smell almost as good as she tasted.

Playing with the zipper on his jacket, Valentina basked in the melody that was the vampire’s voice. She was too shy to admit it, but it was Luhan’s angelic voice that she missed the most about him. He wasn’t one to call often, so this past week was synonymous to hell without having the chance to just talk with him.

“Fine, it went well. Really well, actually, Jael was super sweet.”

“And Tao?” Luhan subtly pushed the conversation into a direction he knew he had to go in. He was aware that it wouldn’t be long until Kris would be demanding some information.

“Hmmm,” the faerie smiled in contentment, “We talked for a bit. It was nice to see him settled down. He’s always been a nomad of the sorts, you know? Never satisfied, always looking for something new to catch his eye. But I think he’s found what he’s been looking for.”

This wasn’t exactly the route Luhan was trying to take. He needed to know if Tao was planning to take action anytime soon, and maybe what type of action he was planning to take.

“Seeing him with Jael, made me miss you even more,” Valentina snuggled even deeper into his chest, “They were in a bit of brawl at the moment though. But I think I might have fixed it.”

Confused by the smirk on his lover’s face, Luhan chose to ignore it.

“I hope whatever issues they have are resolved…..but….Tao wasn’t bothered with anything else, was he?”

The vampire couldn’t stop the feeling of guilt from bubbling up in his chest. He kept reminding himself that he was doing this for Valentina, that this would be beneficial in the long run.

“Hhmm….not really. He seemed a little upset with himself, but I’m sure it was just because of Jael.”

Luhan sighed, he knew that he wasn’t going to be able to get anything else from Valentina. The faerie wasn’t one to bring up the topic of war, and the vampire knew that Tao wasn’t the type to let others in on things of that matter.

He would have to give it time. Hopefully, if Tao and Valentina continued to become close again, Tao would divulge some important things to her. But Luhan could only hope.

Pulling Valentina closer, he sighed when their lips made contact. He swiftly pulled her into his arms, carrying her to her bedroom. He needed this closeness, anything to get his mind off of the impending doom he was setting himself up for.

Kris was not going to be happy when Luhan showed up empty handed.

-

Kai hated the rain. No, he loathed it. Every time he saw clouds gathering in the distance, he prayed that the heavens wouldn’t let loose. It made him too melancholic. He hated being sad more than he hated rain.

He shut all of the blinds in his home, making sure he couldn’t see the rain pouring outside. Sadly, this only sated Kai a little bit. He could still hear the angry sounds of the rain sloshing against the pavement. He wracked his brain for an idea to soothe his ears.

Music.

He swiftly and silently set up his sound system to his iHome, making sure he got the booming base he was yearning for; anything loud enough so he didn’t hear the storm raging outside.

Before long, the young vampire had the music going. He relaxed as the sound of the weather outside became distant. The base rocked through him and slowly he let it all go as he got up and danced. Kai loved dancing. Way more than he hated rain.

The sound of the music pulsed through his veins, revitalizing him from the emotional trench the weather had put him in. He stepped and slid across the floor, matching the steady beat.

So lost in his trance, he failed to notice the soft knocks on his door. He continued to oblivious until he heard pounding, a sound that did not match the tempo of the music or of the storm raging outside. He unwillingly turned off his iHome, wondering why in the world someone was knocking at his door this time of night.

He opened the door,half expecting to see Tao. Perhaps his friend had lost his mind and dared to visit him in the middle of a storm late at night. The sight that greeted him instead, sobered him up from his anger quite fast.

 “La-Laeling! What – ?”

The drenched vampire flung her arms around his neck, body wracking with her harsh sobs. Kai instantly wrapped his arms around her, kicking the door shut and moving them to the sofa.

Barely moving his arms, Kai tried to loosen himself from the older vampires grip. He desperately need to find something to warm her up. She was soaked, and her body was icy to the touch. Her skin was too cold, even for a vampire.

“No! Don’t….don’t le-leave me!” Laeling choked out, tightening her hold on the younger vampire.

“Sshhh….ssshhhhh….I’m here, Lae. I’m not leaving.” Kai’s heart ached at the sight of her, “I promise.”

Softly, the warmer of the two, laid them down. Grateful that he had though to put a blanket on his sofa, Kai wrapped it around their bodies, making sure Laeling was completely covered.

After a while, her cries became less strangled and turned into muffled sobs and soft snifles. Kai could feel the vampire’s body began to relax and noticed that she was crying in her sleep. He softly kissed her forehead as held back his own need to cry.

He had no idea what happened, or whatever caused her to be in such a state. But if there was someone to blame, he wouldn’t stop until he punished them. Their pain would never heighten to the pain he was feeling for Laeling now and not even close to the pain he was watching her go though.

He would fix this. Whatever this was.

-

Slowly opening her eyes, Laeling started to panic, not sure exactly where she was. She suddenly became aware of the tight grip around her body and of the hard but fleshy wall her head was lying against.

She desperately tried to loosen herself from the strange hold to get a better look at her surroundings. The first thing she realized was that she was at her friend’s place. This confused her even more. What was she doing at Kai’s house?

The second discovery was the fact she was trapped on a sofa. She started to panic, afraid that she wouldn’t be able to get loose. She instantly held in her need to thrash once she realized the third detail.

The one who was holding her was Kai. And they were spooning.

Though her mind was doing flips her body gradually begins to relax, fitting into the mold that was Kai’s body.

She smiled, even though her heart was aching for more than one reason. What mattered was that Kai was there for her. Physically and emotionally.

 

 

Laeling watched as Kai set a teacup on the coffee table in front of her. Lazily, spreading out on the sofa, he picked up the vampire’s feet and put them in his lap. He caringly began massaging them earning a soft sigh from Laeling.

She smelled every bit like Kai, since he only had one type of body wash and she desperately had to shower. She didn’t have a chance to the night before. Though she was clean now, no amount of water could truly dispel the feeling of dirt all over her body.

“Lae, you want to tell me what happened last night? Or do I have to guess?”

Throwing her head back, Laeling grunted in annoyance. “Waiting isn’t an option?”

It was a rhetorical question, of course. She knew that Kai wouldn’t let her get away without an explanation. Little did he know how big of an impact last night was for Laeling,or how far Daehyun had gone this time. He never knew that the warlock was ever abusive to his best friend. But Kai had always had a bad feeling about Daehyun. The vampire just didn’t how right he was.

“I don’t want to have to guess. I’m afraid…..I don’t know how to go about to fix this…” Kai struggled with the right words. He couldn’t verbally express to Laeling the extreme need to right whatever wrong that had been done to her.

“Kai,” the older vampire scooted up towards the younger, resting her head against his shoulder, “you can’t always fix everything.”

“But this, this I have to fix…”

Laeling fought with herself. She knew for a fact she wasn’t ready to tell Kai that Daehyun had taken advantage of her. But she needed to tell her best friend something. He deserved to know.

“I...I broke it off with Daehyun last night…”

Kai tensed. Pursing his lips, he played with Laeling’s fingers. “Was it….mutual?”

She hated it. Not telling Kai the whole truth was tearing her up inside. Laeling always told the other vampire everything. They held no secrets. But she couldn’t bear to see the look of shame on Kai’s face once he knew what Daehyun had done to her.

“It wasn’t exactly…..mutual.”

-

“It feels like its been ages since I’ve seen you, man! Whaddup!?”

What did I get myself into? I was sure that after a century or two, Chanyeol couldn’t possibly still be the annoyingly nosey kid he was before. I was wrong, it was kind of worse now.

“Just the usual; fighting for the crown, fighting with my girlfriend, the practical stuff.”

Chanyeol’s wavy hair bounced as his body shook with laughter. “I’m glad you’re still sarcastic. I was hoping you still had that characteristic.”

I rolled my eyes, “Good thing I didn’t disappoint.”

The werewolf laughed again, one eye completely disappearing while the other struggled to stay open. The expression was a little creepy.

“Well what brings you to this side of town? You’re not one to mingle with other creatures.”

I watched as Chanyeol stood from his chair and grabbed a big hammer with spikes at the end. The moment I walked into his shop he hadn’t stop cleaning his weapons. The irony of a werewolf owning a weapon shop made its way into my mind. I couldn’t stop the chuckle that came from my throat. Atleast he knows he has lots of options if a man tries to rob him. Or he could just turn into a wolf.

His kind weren’t necessarily the best creatures to leave weapons around with; they had evident anger management issues.

“I guess you can say I need your help.”

“My help?” the werewolf stopped sharpening his weapon and was now wiping the oil from his hands, “since when have you ever needed anyone’s help, Tao?”

“That doesn’t matter. I know about the many connections you have with other creatures. I need help finding someone.”

Chanyeol smirked. Leaning on a table of hand knives, he looked me dead in the eyes. I could feel his questioning gaze; he didn’t believe me or he didn’t fully believe me.

“Is this a specific person? Or is it really a certain skill you're looking for?”

He must think I’m searching for a hitman. Honestly? If I needed someone dead, I’d kill them myself. Plus, I’m a little more tactful than that.

“A specific person. I’m searching for information, not skill. The man I’m looking for would know everything there is to know about the Midnight Rose Clan. I wasn’t born yesterday, that Kris, his whole family, is hiding something. Whatever that something is, it’s pretty big.”

“You must think that this information will benefit you?” Chanyeol cocked his head to the side, eyes becoming even more impossibly wide, “It will help you on your quest for the throne?”

I smirked, positive that Chanyeol would not fail me. “More than likely.”

 

 

“Tao, this is Sehun. Sehun, this is Tao. Do I need to explain who Tao is to you?”

Sehun’s blank expression stayed intact. “No.”

I knew from the first glance, that this was the guy I was looking for. I couldn’t believe Chanyeol was able to find him without a name. I was even more surprised that the rumors about Sehun were true.

“It’s a pleasure to meet you. I’m sorry about your loss, by the way.”

It was hard being so polite. Sarcasm naturally came out of my mouth. But I needed to be nice to this one. His whole life was a gateway to, possibly, a better life for me.

“No need to be sorry. My mother is in a better place now. She’ll be treated with the respect she deserves, since she didn’t get it here.”

Sehun wasn’t exactly how I pictured him to be. He was quiet and his mood was melancholic. Of course his mother recently died, but his sadness wasn’t new. Pain was not a stranger to this boy. He had obviously been through a lot, and I could tell he was forced to live without a childhood.

“That’s what I’ve came to talk about with you. Do you mind?”

The boy turned his blank expression towards me, gesturing for me to sit.

“We can talk about anything you want, but first you must promise me two things.” He turned and pointed at Chanyeol, “first, the werewolf must not hear what we speak of.”

Chanyeol gaped, unsure of what Sehun was talking about. I nodded my head towards the door.

“Oh, ok, I’ll leave then.” He stepped out of the shabby house with heavy steps, closing the door behind him.

“and second?”

For the first time that night, Sehun showed a bit of emotion on his solemn face. “You must promise me that whatever I tell you will be used to put King T.O.P in his place and to stop his son, Kris, from getting a hold of the throne. I don’t care who becomes king, but they must not be from the Midnight Rose Clan. Can you promise me this?”

I nodded, bringing my hand up to my mouth and sinking my fangs intIo my palm. I looked up to see Sehun doing the same thing.

“I promise,” I gripped his hand, feeling a pooling sensation from my own hand. The mixing of our blood tingled, and I could feel the pact being made from my finger tips to the inside of my palm, “by my blood.”

Sehun smiled, “by our blood.”

 


A/N:  I'm sorry for being sooooo late!! Somethings came up this weekend and really but me behind. I'll try my best to be late next time!

So things are definitely starting to move in this fic! I introduced a minor character at the end that you will definitely be surprised for what he'll bring to the table! But i'm not going to lay it out for you! mystery~~

I hated doing that to Laeling, but something needed to bring the two together. Don't forget about Daehyun, he's not totally out of the story just yet!

i know douchebag!kris wasn't in this chapter, but he will most likely have a key part in the next one! we'll find out a little more about him:)

I hope you enjoyed this chapter!! Let me know what you think in the comments! and please subscribe! ^_^

-Che

(you should follow me on tumblr~ hehe )

Main image is NOT MINE (credits to owner)