Betrayal Comes in Many Shapes and Forms

The Fight for the Throne

A/N: Here is the first chapter! I hope it's not confusing. Please PLEASE read this if you haven't already! It will help you better understand the fic!:) I hope you enjoy it!~

 


 

“Are you sure you’re alright with me moving in?”

That made the third time that Jael had asked me that question. Last week I announced to her that I would feel much more comfortable if we were living together. She happily obliged, but like usual she started to doubt the realness of the situation.

This was something she did often ever since I changed her into a vampire. At times she fully believed everything I told her. The fact that there were such things as faeries, trolls, vampires, and other things that went bump in the night. But sometimes she’d have trouble processing other things I told her. She’d either stand up and walk away from the conversation, or hang up on me, or even avoid me for days at a time. But those instances were becoming rare and rarer.

“If I remember correctly, wasn’t I the one who suggested that you live with me?”

She nodded slightly, hands folding and unfolding themselves atop my kitchen counter.

I walked over and took one hand in mine. Slowly, I brought it to my lips. Her eyes glanced up at me. “Relax, will you? I want you to be here. You’re basically here all of the time anyways. It’s just more official now.”

She grinned and s her arms around my waist. “I’ll try to relax. But you have to promise me that you’ll do the same.”

I sighed as I loosened myself from her grasp, and begin to busy myself with unpacking some of her things.

“Don’t ignore me, Zitao. Ever since that phone call from Kai, you’ve been on edge. We haven’t hunted together in a while,” she plopped herself right down on a box in front of me, forcing me to stop my ministrations, “I don’t like you bringing my meals to me.”

One thing that proved easy for Jael to become use to was drinking blood. She had no qualms about sinking her fangs into another’s neck. On the contrary, she happened to love it. But she never drained them completely. She was completely against it. I often had to go behind her back and finish them off just to make sure they wouldn’t run and tell the cops.

“But I can’t this time, love, I don’t have time to relax.”

She sighed, resting her head in her hands. She gave me a pointed look, as though she was finally putting the pieces together.

“Wait…..you don’t have time? Does this have anything to do with that phone call from Kai?” She bolted up from her relaxed position, “It does, doesn’t it!?”

I struggled with an appropriate response. If I lied, she would know. Ever since she became a vampire, the bond has become stronger. It’s to the point that we can feel each other’s emotions and tell when each other is lying.

Taking my lack of a response as a yes, Jael quickly made her way out of the kitchen, her hair leaving a trail of silver behind her. Somewhat like a shooting star….yeah, that was a good comparison.

This new emotion, I found myself loathing, crashed into me. Regret.

“Ja-Jael…wait…”

She stopped just before she made it to the hallway. “I’m going to take a shower. You can use that time to decide whether or not you want to trust me.”

With that, she left. The taste of anger, the emotion melting off of her, left a bitter taste in my mouth.

_

 

“About time you come and visit me.” Kai smirked as he sipped from his glass of vodka.

I knew he would find the humor in drinking with me in an abandoned warehouse. This was why he was my only friend. My best friend. I couldn’t stay mad at him for long. And trust me, I tried.

“You are aware of the fact, that you met me here, right? I still have yet to ‘visit’ you. I’m still mad at you.” No I wasn’t. But I wasn’t going to let him know that.

“I told you, Tao, I’m just the messenger. Don’t shoot the messenger.” He slowly raked his fingers through his black curls. It was something that he often did, and something that often annoyed me. I glared at his fingers as I took another sip from my glass. I was already on my second.

“I don’t require a gun, you know this.”

Kai scoffed, reaching for the bottle to pore himself his third glass. Kai liked to drink. A lot.

“Moving on. So how about that threat? You know the one where that extremely powerful vampire threatened to end your life and possibly your lover’s life also? Or are we going to talk about the ball game last night? Wow that Kobe never ceases to amaze me.”

I begin to take my leather jacket off and chose to ignore Kai’s ludicrous comments. Drinking alcohol was the only thing that could raise my body temperature. And . But of course in both of those acts, the heat wasn’t from my own blood.

“Any comment? I’m down for talking about basketball.”

I held my hand up, signaling from him to shut up, as I searched for the words to say. I’d like to think that I was a vampire of little words.

“Did you relay my message?” I silently watched Kai’s features. He was one that often stretched the truth if he found it necessary. I wanted to be sure it wasn’t one of those times.

“Well, not…directly, and maybe I paraphrased a bit. You can be a bit harsh, you know?”

“Not harsh, just brutal. The brutal truth is better than the softest lie.”

Kai mumbled under his breath as he kicked the debris on the ground back and forth between his feet. “Your mouth tends to get you in trouble, Tao. I was looking out for you.”

“Well I learned from the best,” I leaned forward a bit, to make sure he caught the next part, “Plus, If the trouble my mouth gets me into is as fun as it’s been lately, I have no problem opening it from time to time.” Thoughts of Jael’s plump lips entered my mind. I smiled at the memory.

His mouth twitched. A smirk threatened its way onto his face. He wouldn’t allow himself to be amused by my comments. “I’m glad to see you haven’t changed much. I see that love didn’t get rid of your little snide remarks, did it?”

I smiled. It was pleasing to be able to talk with my best friend without him constantly warning me of whatever impending danger might be coming my way.

I poured the last bit of alcohol into his glass, filling it to the brim. After more than five glasses and neither of us were the least bit drunk.

“Kai, let me worry about this threat crap. I can handle myself, I’m a big boy. If I need your help, I’ll let you know.”

This seemed to appease him, as he nodded and downed his drink.

“Now, onto more important things, how are you and the lovely Laeling?”

He blushed.

-

“I think he’s beginning to forgive and forget, well maybe not the forget part.”

Laeling sighed in relief. She was excited for Valentina, since she knew the girl missed her brother terribly. She couldn’t figure out why Tao was so upset with his sister. Yes, Valentina might have been fraternizing with the enemy’s flesh and blood, but that didn’t change the fact that Valentina loved Tao.

“Well about time. I told you he would get over it. He just needed time.”

Valentina smiled, reaching to hug Laeling’s neck, “You’re always right.”

“Not always, just more often than wrong.” Valenina giggled, and Laeling found herself joining in.

“Could you hand me that horse breath by the sink?” Valentina asked and she continued mixing the ingredients for the potion she was making.

It was in the middle of the night, and the full moon was high in the sky. The perfect time to brew the concoction she was presently preparing. Laeling had come over at Valentina’s request to help her. Laeling had yet to be told exactly what it was they were making and she wasn’t quite sure she wanted to know.

Needless to say, she quickly passed the horse breath to her faerie friend anyway.

“Ah,” Valentina smiled in delight, “perfection. We’re almost done now.”

Still a bit freaked out, Laeling decided to bring up another subject. “Do you think he’ll let you met Jael?”

Valentina was so engrossed in her potion that she almost didn’t catch the question. “Hm? Oh yes, he has already promised a meeting between the two of us. I was more than surprised he even called me yesterday, but I think I played off my excitement pretty well.”

Valentina had not at all. She had nearly dropped the phone when her brother called her the day before, and had almost lost her finger while chopping onions when he invited her over.

“That’s great, Val! You have to let me in on the details afterwards, ok?”

Mixing in the last ingredient, Valentina smirked. “Oh, I will. I’m sure I’ll have a lot to tell you.”

She poured a small bit of the mixture into a vial. The faerie chuckled to herself as she held her creation up to the moonlight, satisfied with its pretty fuchsia hue.

-

More than a bit confused. Luhan sat himself down in the overly elaborate chairs of their family dining room hall, and patiently waited for Kris to address him.

Said Kris was currently enjoying the blood of a rather pretty shapeshifter as she moaned and writhed under his vice grip.

Luhan, ever the patient boy, maintained his unfazed expression as his sipped from a wine glass filled with blood that a waiter brought out for him. The blood was a tad bitter but refreshing since he was on his third day without a meal.

After a short while, the shapeshifter was no longer moving or making any sounds as Kris was the last bit of life from her. Two servants suddenly appeared and caught the lifeless creature after Kris had flung it off of him. He took a napkin from his plate and silently cleaned his mouth and threw back a glass of water.

“You’re early, brother.”

Finishing his glass, Luhan rolled his eyes. “No, you’re just a slow eater.”

Kris chuckled at the statement and leaned forward in his chair. He could see that his brother was tired and guessed that Luhan was thankful for the drink he provided for him.

“You must be curious about why I’ve called you here. At our parent’s house, nonetheless.”
He looked down to see Kris was once again in just a robe, legs kicked up on the dining table. Much in the same state he saw him in a few weeks ago. Was Kris still visiting their parents? Odd. He never stayed this long.

“Not exactly curious, but you could call it that.”

Luhan was beginning to get anxious. Kris rarely ever talked to him, they weren’t exactly on good terms. He didn’t agree with his younger brother’s actions, and often found himself upset with the way Kris handled things.

“I’ll get straight to the point then.” Kris stood up from his seat at the end of the table and made his way over to Luhan’s seat. His steps were light and silent, the tread of a dangerous predator.

He sat down on the table in front of the seat next to Luhan, making sure he was looking down on the elder. Everything Kris did was to belittle his older brother, to make sure he didn’t forget that Kris was the heir and not him.

“I know we don’t always get along but I believe you’ll be willing to look past our differences. Blood is thicker than water, is not? Your little brother is in need of a favor.”

Luhan slightly slid back in his chair; the air in the room became significantly harder to breath. The ticking of the grandfather clock was loud and annoying in his ears. He swallowed the bile threatening to rise in his throat. Luhan hated to admit his younger brother intimidated him so much.

“I thought you said you were going to get straight to the point.”

“You remember things well, don’t you brother?” Kris smirked, as he picked up the empty glass in front of Luhan, “I need you to prove your loyalty to your family. And to your brother, more importantly.”

“Since you have such excellent memory, you must remember that piece of information you relayed to me a couple of weeks ago. You know? About my ‘supposed’ upcoming rival for the throne. Well I need to make sure he won’t be any actual competition,” Kris crushed the wine glass in his hand and dropped the shards one by one into Luhan’s lap, “I need an inside man, one who can let me know what my enemy is planning, someone who won’t get caught. I know of only one person who has a good enough cover up.”

Kris took the last shard and slowly drew it across the Luhan’s trembling jaw and watched as the cut healed almost instantaneously. “That’s you, dear brother.”

Though he was intimidated, he was not scared of Kris. Luhan was used to being the receiver of Kris’s constant antics ever since they were kids.

Luhan looked up into Kris’s glaring gold eyes as he thought of a response.

“Who says I need to prove my loyalty?”

Throwing the remaining shards off of the table, Kris laughed darkly. “Were you unaware that I knew of your relationship with that wench?! I knew from the start your new found love was the sister of my enemy. They may not be related but that doesn’t change the fact that you betrayed me!”

Luhan pushed himself out of his chair, quickly standing up. Anger was etched into his angelic features. “Who said I betrayed you!? I have every right to love who I please! She has nothing to do with Zitao. He’s abandoned her!”

Caught off guard with this bit of news, Kris allowed this to work for his benefit. “Well then, you have every bit of a reason to help me then. You won’t be betraying her. You’ll be doing me a justice. And you’ll be getting that son of a werewolf back for ditching that wench you love.”

Luhan started to bark at Kris to stop calling her that, but decided it wasn’t the time nor the place for it. Maybe this was the perfect way to protect Valentina. Zitao deserved every wrong that Kris would do to him and Valentina would eventually realize what a good deed he had done for her. She would love him even more.

“Fine, I’ll do it.”


A/N: It's done! It's not too long or confusing right??

I really hope you liked it and that my OCs are interesting!

That's alot to hope for!

Please Subscribe and comment and let me know what you think!

Thank you! and sorry I'm making Kris such a douchebag lol. I love him though!

-Che

I don't have a main image for this chapter yet but I'll be putting one up soon:) If you have any suggestions, that would be awesome >_<