I Want No Mommies

My Daddy

It had been a year. Seunho wasn't even sure if he was the Head of Promotion and Human Resources Department, because everyone just shoved the work to him, and go to him if they had to ask anything. Even his boss. Jihoon would give him some additional works that he couldn't entrust to anyone else beside Seungho. And of course, he couldn't neglect his desk job, preparing for Sanghyun's debut. This has kept him busy for the whole day. But ever since he found out that Hyomyung actually lived not too faraway from his home, he could use her help.

Hyomyung would take Lauren and Ren home, and Lauren would stayed at Hyomyung's place until Seungho picked her up and they went home. They now had the daily routine of having dinner at Hyomyung's place and went to some nice restaurants and took the kids to play on weekend.

Today is the big day. It's Sanghyun's debut by the name Thunder. Jihoon wanted to make a Joon's showcase and Sanghyun was the opening act. Hyomyung and the kids got special permission from Jihoon to watch for free.

"Daddy!" Lauren swiftly ran to Seungho when she saw him at the backstage. Despite his business, Seungho smiled and lift her up.

"Lauren!" Seungho also looked at Hyomyung and Ren. "Hyomyung, Ren! You guys came!"

"Of course, we also want to see the new idol," Hyomyung chuckled. Ren didn't say anything while still holding Hyomyung's hand. At least the sad expression and the empty eyes are no longer there, Seungho thought. The kid had grow much better that when they first met him. Jihoon came over and broke the happy meet up.

"I'm sorry, I'll have to borrow him for awhile," Jihoon flashed a smile to Hyomyung.

"Oh yes, of course! I'm sorry. Ren, Lauren, come over here, daddy has to do some work," Hyomyung drag Ren to the sofa at the waiting room and called for Lauren. Ren obediently followed but Lauren didn't want to let go of her daddy's hand even after her dad put her down.

"No, I want daddy!" She yelled at the man she didn't know before. Jihoon only flashed an apologetic smile and gave her some understanding words.

"Daddy has to work for awhile, Lauren can meet him again after you guys come home, okay?"

"Lauren-ah, you want Rupee's doll, right? Daddy has to go work and earn the money to buy it," Seungho persuaded. At his words, Lauren pouted. Hesitantly, she let go of Seungho's hands and ran over to Hyomyung's side.

"Cute, but you spoiled her too much," Jihoon whispered.

Seungho chuckled. "What can I do? Can you resist to that pouting face?"

Jihoon shrugged. "Perhaps not." Seungho chuckled and he went to check on the cameramen. At approximately 7 PM, the show started. Hyomyung took the kids to the crew chairs beside the large stage. As the smoke was soared and the big monitor was split in two, a tall man stood, showing his strong arms with his sleeveless shirt. The fans who were unawared of this surprise were froze at first, but as Thunder did his awesome dance, people started cheering for him. At the end of the performance, Thunder introduced himself and received huge interests. Then Joon came to the stage, the fans went crazy, Lauren closed her ears. And they did a collaboration performance. For the next performance and so on, Joon did the showcase by himself splendidly.

After the show, everyone went to a restaurant and the men having a nice beer-time. Seungho took the kids to home, though. It's past their bed-time. Ren had to spent the night at Seungho's place because it's nearer to the restaurant.

"Where is daddy going?" Lauren asked.

"Daddy will have a little celebration for a job well-done today. Lauren and Ren go to sleep first, okay?"

"I want to come!"

"No, it's already late. Lauren has to sleep."

"But daddy said you will play with me after the work done!" Lauren raised her voice. Ren looked at her.

Seungho lost at words. Guilt piled up in his chest. These past few weeks Seungho was always away from home. Lauren must have missed him. "Mianhae. Tomorrow we'll go to anywhere you want, okay?" Seungho patted her head. Tomorrow is Sunday, after all. Lauren was still pouting and didn't want to look at Seungho, Ren looked at Seungho as if blaming him.

"Lauren, daddy will play with you again tomorrow, okay? Tonight, you have to sleep first," Hyomyung smiled and tried to persuade the girl. But her teacher's words just built up more rage within her tiny chest. Lately, she found her dad talked to Hyomyung more than he talks to her. And that scene angered her. Hyomyung took her daddy away, that was how she conclude tha fact. Lauren turned away and ran to her bedroom. Ren alternate his gaze to Seungho and Hyomyung, unable to comprehend what the adults were thinking. They could've just stay with Lauren until she slept and go. But instead, they chose to let her go to sleep by herself.

"Ren, lock the door and take care of Lauren, okay?" Seungho bitterly smiled as started to leave. Ren nodded before he closed the door. As the sound of the key clicking inside could be heard, Seungho and Hyomyung walked away to the lift. "Perhaps we should stay..." Hyomyung said, doubting their leave now.

Seungho sighed. "I wanted to be there for her, too, but this showcase meant soemthing big to us, too, on the otehr hand. A little party was worth it to relieve the stress."

"I suppose you're right..." Hyomyung tried to smile. "So you'll be going on a trip with Lauren tomorrow?"

"Actually, we will. You, me, Lauren, and Ren."

"Oh, us too? I appreciate it," Hyomyung chuckled as she pressed the lift button.

"Yeah, I got... Uhh... Special plan, for tomorrow, actually."

"A surprise for Lauren?"

Seungho couldn't help but smirked playfully. "No, for someone else." Hyomyung tilted her head in confusion.

Lauren was holding back her tears on her bed. Ren was laying beside her and stared at ceiling. His stare turned to Lauren when he heard a small sob. Ren looked at Lauren. The little girl was wiping her tears in rush, hoping Ren wouldn't notice.

"He's not abandoning you," Ren said, as if he could read Lauren's mind. The girl looked at him. "He just had some business to take care of."

"More important than me?" Lauren frowned and pout.

Ren shook his head. "I don't understand either. But he said he will take you somewhere tomorrow."

"But daddy used to be with me all the time..."

Mom used to be, too. Ren flinched at the sudden flashback. "Things changed," he whispered.

"But..." Lauren yawned before she could finish her sentence.

Ren turned his body to face Lauren. "We'll see him tomorrow."

Lauren looked at him, trying to believe in his words. She slowly nodded and close her eyes. Ren stared at the sleeping figure. How could she believe him that easily? She should've been thankful for having such a caring daddy. But she wanted more. How spoiled, Ren thought to himself. But he didn't hate her. Instead, he adored the spoiled personality of her and enjoyed being with her. Ren lifted his hands and hover to Lauren's cheek, deciding whether to rub it or not. But he chose to hold back. What was it that holding him back, he didn't know.

***

Seungho was taking the 4 of them to an amusement park. He even rent a car and Hyomyung taught them a happy song along the way. Ren didn't sing along, but he enjoyed listening to the melody. Everything was going ever so smoothly. Lauren was over-excited and dragged Ren around the park, making him go to various child's ride. Seungho dragged Hyomyung to the thrilling ride which lift you up to the sky and spin you around on your seat. Seungho's scream while smiling, and Hyomyung made an epic face with her scared expression. Lauren and Ren enjoyed watching them in front of the ride.

To conclude their adventure today, by the afternoon, Lauren rode the merry-go-round with Ren. Seungho seated them in the same horse, as if a prince and the princess. The two adults then watched and wait for them patiently outside the fence. Lauren would waved everytime she passed them. And the adults would wave back, even more hyper than the kids. Seungho looked at Hyomyung's happy expression. He thought this is the right chance. And he knew he made the right decision.

"Hyomyung,"

"Yes?"

"I know this is sudden, and we don't know each other that well, but..." Seungho took a small box out from his pocket. He opened it and a small object blinked as the setting sun shone over it. Hyomyung cupped , didn't know what to say. "Will you be my fiancee?"

Hyomyung's tear almost trickled down, but she hold it back and smiled. Oh, how she had been waiting for this time to come. Spontaneously, she hugged Seungho and held him tight. Seungho was surprised but he knew that meant yes. He chuckled and lift Hyomyung, spinning her around. When he put her down, he took her right hands and slip the silver ring to her ring finger. Unknowing to the happy two, the merry-go-round keep spinning, and Lauren passed her dad. She was about to wave when she noticed her dad wasn't looking at her. He was putting something to Hyomyung's finger. But what could it be?

The ride ended and Lauren hid behind Ren. Somehow she didn't want to see her dad. Or Hyomyung. She just felt wrong. Her dad wasn't even asking her what's wrong and walk her to their car to go home as the day was getting dark. But Lauren stopped her step before they reached the parking lot.

"What is it, Lauren?" Seungho asked.

"...What is it on Ms. Seo's finger?" Lauren pointed. Ren glanced. He knew this wasn't going to be good.

Seungho chuckled as Hyomyung blushed. "It's a ring."

"What is it for?"

"It means commitment. Lauren, you want a mommy, right? Daddy has found the right person."

"A mommy?" Lauren's face was lit up. Perhaps this wasn't as much as she thought. "Ms. Seo is going to be my mommy?"

"Yes. And Ren will be your brother," Seungho knew his daughter would be happy.

"Brother?" Lauren frowned now. "Why?"

"Because when we're married, we will become a family."

"Married?" Lauren stepped back. "NO!"

"Lauren?" Seungho was surprised at the sudden reaction.

"NO! DADDY CAN'T MARRY ANYONE!" Lauren yelled, catching nearby passenger's attention.

"But you said you want mommy...?" Seungho tried to go closer, but Lauren snapped.

"IF BEING A MOMMY MEANS MARRYING DADDY, I DON'T WANT ANY MOMMIES!!" Lauren yelled.

"Lauren, why--" Hyomyung tried to talk to her, but Lauren didn't want to hear it.

"NO, SHUT UP, I HATE YOU, I HATE YOU!!!"

No one could marry daddy. Because Lauren will. Only her. No one else can. Daddy is Lauren's. Daddy's affection and attention were all only for Lauren and she didn't want to share with anyone. The thought filled her head, building more anger. Lauren ran away, she didn't want to see any of them again. She hates the thought of seeing them together. She didn't understand what feeling it was, but she hates it.

"Lauren!!" Seungho chsed after Lauren, but she was fast. Their movement was halt, however for a sudden earthquake. No, it wasn't an earthquake. The land was trembling not because of an earthquake. Seugho's eyes went to explore every spot in the amusement park, as the other visitors did too.

"Lauren?" Seungho said in a calm tone. "Come here, now."

Lauren forgot all the thought as feared caught her. She stepped back and grabbed her dad's hand. The sound was getting clearer.

STOMP. STOMP.

Every sound caused the land to tremble. Hyomyung carried Ren closer to Seungho. Something is coming. Something big.

"We have to go to the car," Seungho whispered. "Now."