Prologue

My Daddy

"Freeze! Freeze, I said!"

The man panting while ignoring the warning from the two police officers who were chasing behind him. Alas, he tripped and fell down on the ground. He tried to stand up but he had another plan. As the young officer approached him to check, he swiftly stood and strangled him with his strong arm. Surprised, the young officer tried to struggle, but something cold halt him. The man pushed a sharp knife right on his throat.  Smiling in victory, the man looked at the young officer's partner. "Stop or I'll slit his neck."

The officer froze as his gun still aimed at the man. His gaze switching from the man to his partner, and so on. "Did you not hear me?" the man raised his voice. "Put the gun down!"

"Don't do it!!"

"Shuddup! You wanna die?!" The man tightened his strangle, making the young officer suffocated.

"Calm down," the senior officer raised his hands and slowly put his gun down. Before the man could feel his victory, the sound of sirene could be heard, and police cars arrived at the end of the alley. Backup. The man was distracted by the red and blue light as he turned around. "!" he cursed under his breath. As trained as he is, the young officer pushed his elbow to the man's stomach hardly, and his senior quickly took over to lock his movement. But the bad guys wasn't stupid. He glanced at the young officer and aimed his gun.

"Seungho, look out!!"

BANG!

More cops came to help as they caught the man and quickly locked the man's hands with handcuff. The man smirked at the young officer. They knew, it was too late.

"...S-sir?"

A trembling hand approached the wounded body. His senior was lying there, blood was everywhere, some splattered to the youngster's face. As hard as he contain the pain, the older man smiled. Someone shouted to bring an ambulance here. Both of them didn't pay attention.

"Seungho... You've done... Well..."

"...No... No I didn't sir! It should've been me! Why did you--- WHY?"

"Seungho," the older man grabbed his hand, stopping him from losing his mind. He could feel his junior's hand was trembling in his. "This is... My job... Someday... This will happen..." He smiled, calming the younger male down. "This is... My choice..."

Seungho understood that very well. Being a police is a dangerous job. There were times when they almost get killed. There were times when the criminal held them captive. But not once did his senior totter.

"Seungho... Protect.... Her..."

Seungho hated how it sounded like his last will. He would shout if he could, begging for his senior to keep breathing but his lips were trembling too hard. The bullet pierced right through his chest. He lost too much blood. As the most logical person, Seungho knew his wish could not be granted. The only thing he could do was staring at the peaceful eyes as they started to close and his vision was blurry due to the tears he had been holding.

"Daddy?"

Seungho was surprised at the small voice. He lifted up his face, so did his fellow officers. A girl was standing there, blankly stared at the limp body.

"Lauren? Why are you here?" Seungho tried with all his might for his voice not to tremble as he wiped off his tears. Then he noticed, they were standing at the alley just beside Lauren's house. Of all places, why does it have to be here? Seungho cursed silently.

"Why is daddy sleeping there?" Lauren innocently looked at Seungho and pointing at the unconscious body. Preventing her from going any further, Seungho walked to her and hugged her tightly, blocking her sight from the terrible scene. "Why are you crying?"

"No, uncle is not crying," Seungho gave her the best smile among his tears. "I just have something in my eyes."

The ambulance's sirene could be heard. People in white suits came and brought the wounded body to the stretche, staining the white blanket with red color. Lauren peeked through Seungho's shoulder.

"Where are they taking daddy?"

How will he be able to explain to those cute eyes, Seungho wondered. How to tell her that her dad could not be with her anymore? She was only 4, too young to accept the reality. Yet her young brain could tell what had happen.

"Daddy's not dead, is he?"

Seungho didn't answer. He buried her face on his chest. "Don't look, Lauren."

"He's not dead is he?" Lauren's voice started to tremble and she raised her voice. "He'll come home, won't he?!"

"Lauren..."

"He'll come home, right? Right?" Lauren's tears started rolling down, Seungho wiped it, but he couldn't control his own. All the officers behind them hung their head down at the sight. The doctor at the ambulance gave a negative sign. Lauren sobbed too hard and eventually passed out. The doctor turned their attention and quickly brought her to the ambulance.

It's not true. It's not true. Daddy's not dead. Daddy's right here beside me. Right, daddy?

Lauren's brown eyes slowly opened up, seeing the white ceiling and the smell of medicine. The last thing she remembered was she came out to see what was the ruckus beside her house all about. What happened after that? A familiar face jerked at seeing her eyes open, and asked in a worried tone. There was only one person who worried for her all the time. The only one she had in the world.

"...Daddy?"

Her weak voice behind the oxygen mask froze Seungho. She looked at him pleadingly. Begging for an answer.

"Is that you, daddy?"

The doctor's words echoed through Seungho's mind once again. The 4 years old girl was too young to accept the fact that her dad is gone. Moreover, she grew up without a mom. Her dad is all she had in the world. Who knows what will happen when she found out that her only treasure was now gone? She needed someone. She needed a father.

"Daddy?"

"Yes, daddy's here, Lauren."


It was a cold morning in Ottawa when the priest read the bible in front of the grave. At the silent cemetery, a small hand refuse to loosen its grab. Lauren looked at Seungho in confusion. Everyone seemed depressed and gloomy.  They all wore black suits.The aunties shed their tears. What is happening? Why is everyone look so sad? Lauren questioned herself. Seungho stared at the coffin as it slowly buried down with the brown dirt. The man inside the coffin was his senior, his mentor, his best friend. The best cop he ever met. Seungho assured himself to be strong. He can't cry now. Not in front of Lauren.

'It was my fault. My fault,' Seungho thought to himself as the coffin was hardly seen, covered by the dirt, layer by layer. If only hehad been stronger to take down that man by himself. He clenched his fist, blaming himself. Why did all of this has to happened? 

The funeral ended. Seungho lifted Lauren to his embrace. "Who died, daddy?"

At her question, the guests jerked. They glanced secretly at Seungho, keeping their ears open to hear what he answer will be. Seungho smiled gently while rubbing her back. With an almost whispering voice, he said in his sad tone, "A friend of dad's. A good one."


"Tell me you reasons, Mr. Yang," an old woman with curly wig stared at Seungho behind her glasses. The court has no audience except for the Chief of Police and Lauren's doctor.

"Lauren is the daughter of my very best friend, Your Honor. And he had no relatives to take care of his daughter. As his closest friend, this is the least I can do for him."

The judge nodded. "And I heard she thinkst of you as her biological father?"

"If I may, Your Honor," the doctor stood up. The judge gave the permission. "Lauren is too young to witness such tragedy. I told Mr. Seungho that there was a probability of memory loss. And when that happened, I suggest we don't tell her the truth or else, I'm afraid she will suffer a mental break-down."

The judge nod again. "So you told her you're her father, then?" The judge looked at Seungho who gave a positive response. "You do know that you can't hide it forever?"

"I am aware of that," Seungho answered. Behind his convincing voice, worries shrouded his heart. How would he do that? How to tell Lauren that all of this has been a lie? That her real father has diseased? Seungho gulped.

"...Alright," The judge let out a sigh. Being a mother herself, she could understand the young man's feeling. "Child custody granted," the sound of the hammer echoed throughout the silent room. 3 times.


"You sure, Seungho?"

"Yes, sir. I believe it's best for her to leave this country for awhile," Seungho nodded in assurance. The man with moustache in front of him sighed.

"I guess there's no other way. She will find out teh truth very soon if she stays here," the man looked at lauren who was playing with the other kids around her age at the park. "You'll become a police there, too?"

"...I don't think so..." Seungho bowed his head.

The man, the Chief of the Police, looked at him. He knew Seungho loved his job. And he did well on that too. "Don't let mistakes falter you, Seungho."

Seungho smiled bitterly. "I don't want to see anyone died because of me again, Chief," he shook his head. "I can't bear it."

The chief was silenced for awhile. Staring at the young man, he gave him a light push on the back. "You were a great officer."

"Thank you," Seungho smiled.


Seungho gave his comrades one last salute, before he turned his back. He was officially not a cop anymore. He walked to the taxi, where Lauren was waiting, when someone called. It was his close friend. "You're welcome here anytime," he said shortly. Seungho gave him a smile. He waved to them after observing the whole police department one last time. "I'll miss this place. And you guys." Nothing more to say, he stepped in to the taxi.

"Where are we going, daddy?"

"We're going to move to daddy's hometown in South Korea."

"Is South Korea cold like Ottawa?"

"Hmm, not really. You'll like it," Seungho pat her head.

"I want to go somewhere warm," Lauren said in spoiled tone, while she leaned on Seungho's shoulder. Seungho kissed her forehead in all the affection he had. A slight sadness was reflected in his eyes, yet they sparkled as Seungho smiled to Lauren.

"It's summer now. It's warm."

"Can we go to the beach?"

"Of course! Daddy will buy you ice cream!"

"Yay ice cream! I love you daddy!" Lauren cuddled in her father's embrace.

"...I love you too, Lauren."