Where is Mommy?

My Daddy

"I love it when my eomma combs my hair. I hate it when eomma scolded me with scary face," a girl shyly mumbling the words in front of the class. Hyomyung smiled gently.

"Wah, our Dasom has done well! Let's give her a round of applause!" Hyomyung clapped, followed by the rest of class. The little girl sat back on her seat. The boy next to her stood up without an order, knowing that it was now his turn. Next to him was Lauren, her heart was uneasy as her turn aprroaching.

"I love it when mom reads bedtime story for me, and I hate it when she takes me to the supermarket!" The boy said passionately. He agilely went back to his seat. Hyomyung told the class to give him applauses too. Lauren sat still. She didn't want to go. She didn't have anything to tell about her eomma. She didn't have one in the first place.

"Lauren?"

Her teacher's call snapped her from her thoughts. She looked at her, pretending she didn't know what was the call for. Hyomyung smiled and raised her eyebrow, beckoning for Lauren to step up. "It's your turn now," Hyomyung softly spoke. Lauren reluctantly stood up and walked in front of the class. She never been taught to lie. She couldn't lie. Daddy said it was bad to lie.

"....I love it when daddy comes home, and I hate it when he wasn't home."

The whole class was silenced, and then the children laughed. "Ya, you were supposed to tell us about your eomma, not appa!" One of the boys yelled after finishing his laugh.

"Shht!" Hyomyung hover her index finger in front of her lips. The kids' laughs turned into gigglings. "Lauren-ah, you have to tell us about your eomma, not appa," she gently explained to Lauren. The little girl pouted, hiding her red face between her curly long hair. She mumbled something, Hyomyung moved her ear closer to Lauren to hear it more clearly.

"....I don't have an eomma," Lauren mumbled. Hyomyung turned to face her and pat her head.

"Oh, I'm sorry..." Hyomyung pat her head gently. "It's okay, Lauren. Because Lauren doesn't have a story about her eomma, we'll hear about her appa instead! Hurray!" Hyomyung told the class. "Lauren-ah, what does your appa do?"

"He's taking care of stuff at an agency," Lauren shyly said.

"Wah, Lauren's appa is a great person, isn't he, class?" Hyomyung smiled. The class automatically said yes in unison, in a rather sluggish tone. "Okay, Lauren, you can go back to your seat. Next?" Hyomyung gestured for the next girl to step up. Lauren sat back, she thought the problem was end, but then the boy in front of her turned around and mehrong, "Eomma-less! Looosseer!"

Lauren looked at him, pouted, not sure what to answer. Just before she burst into tears, the bell rang. Hyomyung wrapped up the lesson and dismiss the class. Lauren sat still, and when the other kids had gone she cried out loud. Hyomyung, of course, surprised by the sudden burst. She quickly bent down to face Lauren and calm her down.

"Lauren-ah, what's wrong?" She worriedly asked and rubbed Lauren's hair up and down, hoping it would calm her down.

"I don't have an eomma," Lauren said between her sobbing.

"Oh, it's okay, don't cry over it..."

"But, but..." Lauren sobbed. "Minki said I'm a loser..."

"Oh no, you're not!" Hyomyung thought about scolding the boy tomorrow. "Lauren doesn't have an eomma doesn't mean you're a loser... Lauren is a nice girl!"

Lauren looked at Hyomyung, starting to believe her words. She wiped her tears, trying to stop them from flowing down. Hyomyung smiled and gave her a hug. "Don't cry anymore, okay? Now, let's go home!" Hyomyung took her bag and gave it to her. Lauren wore it while still sobbing. Hyomyung guided her outside the class and kept her company until she met her father. Her father, on the other hand, starting to felt anxious. Seungho looked at his watch for the fifth time. Lauren should be out from the school by now. What took her so long? Seungho looked at the entrance, thinking if he should just come in and search for her. He had just move one step, when Lauren came outm finally, a young woman was holding her hands.

"Daddy!" Lauren's face brightened when she saw her favorite person in the world. She ran to him and Seungho, as bright as her face, smiled in relief and lift her up.

"Heeyy! What took you so long today?"

Before he got his answer, he noticed the young woman also aprroaching them. Not forgetting his manner, Seungho put Lauren down and bowed. "Annyeong haseyo..."

"Annyeong haseyo," Hyomyung bowed in reply. "So... You're Lauren's father?"

"Yes. Are you her teacher?"

"Yes, my name's Seo Hyomyung," the woman smiled politely.

"I'm Yang Seungho. Thank you very much for taking care of her in school," Seungho smiled in reply.

"Don't worry about it," Hyomyung giggled. Her eyes twitched at the sudden notice though. Lauren's father has a korean name so where did the name Lauren Lunde came from? "Seungho-ssi, can I have a moment?" Hyomyung whispered.

"Oh, of course. Lauren, go play at the playground for awhile, okay? Daddy has a seeerious talk with Ms. Seo."

Lauren looked at Seungho, then her teacher. She didn't know why, but she didn't like it. Her dad put her aside for another woman. Lauren was angry at that thought. Without saying anything, Lauren ran to the playground.

"She looked angry..." Hyomyung looked at her, worried.

"I don't understand?" Seungho raised an eyebrow. "Anyway, what is it that you want to talk about?"

"Ah, it's about her mom..." Hyomyung smiled, somewhat woeful. "We talked about moms in class, but Lauren said she doesn't have one. And one of the students mock her for that, she ended up crying, and I calmed her down."

That explains why Lauren came out late, Seungho thought. "She cried?" Seungho twitched. Who the heck made her cry, he's so gonna meet that kid's mom.

"Yes... So I wanted to tell you to talk about mom to her, because she doesn't seem to comprehend about moms..." Hyomyung gave a sympathetic look.

"Oh... Of course. I knew the time would come to talka bout it..." Seungho scratch the neck of his back in guilt. He has been avoidingthat question for all this time.

"Uhm, excuse me, but... What happened to your wife?"

"Oh, I'm..." Seungho was unsure on how to explain it. "I... actually haven't marry yet."

"Really? Then, Lauren... Was adopted?" Hyomyung lower her voice.

"Uhh, yeah, sort of," Seungho began to act awkward. He never wanted anyone to ask that question, but he knew it was unavoidable.

"Does she know?" Hyomyung whispered, afraid anyone might heard.

"She... Well..." Seungho sighed. "It's a long story..."

"Oh... Well it's okay if you don't want to talk about it," Hyomyung smiled.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to be rude or something..."

"No, no it's totally okay! I think she likes you a lot, and that's all that matters."

Seungho was surprised by those words. He was expected the woman to dig more deeper. But she actually left it at that and cared about Lauren. "Thank you, Ms. Seo," Seungho smiled. Thankful that he can actually not talk about it, and for the attention Hyomyung gave to Lauren. "You really like children, huh?"

"I do," Hyomyung giggled. "I wish I could have one of my own soon."

"Oh, you're not married?"

Hyomyung shook her head. "No, haven't find the right person yet," she winked. Both of them chuckled. "Well, good day, Seungho-ssi. Until we meet again," Hyomyung waved goodbye as she turned around.

Seungho nodded in courtesy. "Until we meet again, Ms. Seo."

"Oh, just Hyomyung," she giggled. She then called to Lauren to come to her appa. They waved goodbye. Hyomyung looked at Lauren, running to her dad's embrace. She flashed one last smile as Seungho also looked at her and smiled in reply.

"Daddy, what were you talking about?" Lauren asked as they walked to the bus stop.

"We talked about mommies," Seungho smiled. Lauren frowned. "Lauren, do you know who mommies are?" Lauren shook her head. "Mommies are the one who gave birth to children."

"So I came from mommies?" Seungho nodded. "Who is my mommy?"

"Lauren's mommy... Is not here, sadly..." Seungho pouted, Lauren also pouted. "Lauren's mommy has gone to meet God sooner."

"Why?"

"Because God called for her."

"Why doesn't God call for us?"

"Because... He wants us to spend a little more time on Earth," Seungho smiled bitterly. That was a simple explanation, but still, it hurt him to tell Lauren that. "By the way, mommy usually cook at home, and wash the dishes, and clean up the house. And she would pick a pretty clothes for Lauren, and comb your hair."

"Daddy also does that," Lauren was still frowning.

Seungho chuckled. "But mommy can do it with more cares. And they got mad more easily than daddies."

"How to have a mommy?"

Seungho froze at the question. How should he explain it in 5 years old girl language? "Um, first, daddy has to find the right person who loves Lauren and will take good care of Lauren."

Lauren nodded, comprehending. That sounds about right.

"Secondly, daddy has to marry that person and we'll take care of Lauren together until the end."

"Marry?" Lauren flinched. She didn't like the idea. "Is marriage the one where daddy and mommy kiss and promise to love each other?"

"Well.. Pretty much, yes."

"Can I be a mommy then?"

Seungho chuckled. "Lauren is too young," he pinched her cheeks.

"Then I don't want to have a mommy," Lauren suddenly said, which gave Seungho a frown. He thought Lauren likes the idea of a mommy.

"Why not? She can take care of you while daddy is at work."

Lauren shook her head, causing her curly hair to slap Seungho's face right and left. Seungho chuckled. He didn't understand what was going on inside that little brain of hers, but he loved her response. "Okay okay... What do you want to eat today, Lauren?"

"Ramen," Lauren smiled.


Lauren stared at the TV. Pororo show has ended. Her dad should be at home. He always here before the show ended. He didn't call either. Just then, their secret phone rang. Lauren smiled and jumped to pick it up. "Hello?"

"Lauren?" Seungho gently answered at his office. "Daddy might come home late, are you hungry? Everything's okay?"

"Eung..." Lauren pouted and mumbled as the answer.

"Can you bear it for just a little while longer?"

"No..." Lauren shook her head even though her dad obviously couldn't see it.

Seungho bit his lip. What to do? He can't leave his work, but he can't let Lauren starving there. I could just call delivery, but... What if the courier do something...

"Just call delivery, she can handle it, just tell her where the money is," Jio suggested behind Seungho. The attentive daddy turned around and glared.

"Haven't you seen the news?"

Jio rolled his eyes and smirk. How over-protective. But it wasn't like he has any other choice. So Jio left him be. Seungho thought about better ideas but he couldn't think of any, especially when Lauren called him, noticing the silence. "Daddy?"

"Yes, Lauren... Uhh... Okay, daddy will... Call a delivery. The money is in the drawer. You'll see a white envelope..." Jio chuckled, Seungho glared at his assistant went back to work. "Found it?"

"Yeah," Lauren answered as she tiptoed to see the inside drawer.

"Take out 3 sheets of them," Seungho knew all of it was 1,000 won. A pizza costed around 20,000 won for small size, so the courier can just keep the change.

"Okay,"

"Now daddy will order you a pizza. When Mr. Red came, open the door, take the pizza, give him the money and say 'keep the change,' and quickly lock the door again. Okay?" Mr. Red was the courier guy. They always wear red uniform and hat. So Lauren called them Mr. Red.

"Okay," Lauren obediently answered.

"Don't take it too long. Quickly finish it and lock the door."

"Okay."

Seungho was still unsure. But he kept telling himself it was okay. Lauren was big enough to merely buy a pizza. "Okay, what flavour do you want?"

"Cheese and pepperoni."

"Okay, daddy will order it and then you wait, okay? After you've done everything daddy said, call daddy. Understand?"

"Yeah..." Lauren pouted and hung up. Seungho sighed. He too, wanted to spend more time with Lauren, but he has to earn the money for living. Just when he was about to call for pizza, Mir came in and reported.

"Hyung, you have to come. Cheondoong hyung was about to get scolded by Jihoon hyung again."

Seungho rolled his eyes. "Just a minute," he had to call for pizza first. "You guys sure that guy is almost ready for debut?" Seungho shook his head, Mir shrugged. Cheondoong was the reason they stucked in the office. He failed his rap, he couldn't catch up with Joon's dance, and he had to debut in 5 days. Else, their company is done for. Joon has debuted for a pretty long time, his popularity was starting to get replaced by rookies. They had to debut a new artist soon. 5 days was the deadline. But that guy, Cheondoong, if he kept it like this... Well, the whole company could only facepalm theirselves.

"Hello, pizza delivery?" Seungho lazily said on the phone.


This chapter is quite boring... huh?