Daddy's home!

My Daddy

All the 5 years old kids came out from one door, bursting to the street, running to their moms. Among all the women, stood a man. His eyes observing every child's faces as he gazed at the warm hugs their moms gave them. "Daddy!" A sudden call broke his action. He turned to the small girl and a smile graced his face. As the girl spread her arms, her daddy lift her up and held her to his embrace.

"Wahh, Lauren-ah... How was school today?"

"Ms. Seo told us to draw a picture for our family."

"Really? What did you make for daddy?"

Lauren handed him a paper. She drew Seungho who looked more like a scarecrow, holding hands with her who looked like a doll you saw on cartoons. She used so many colors to make it merry. "Good job! Is this for daddy?"

Lauren nodded. "Daddy what's an eomma?"

"Eomma? Oh, eomma means mommy," Seungho began to walk to catch the bus.

"Everyone has an eomma on their pictures," Lauren pout in confusion. "Why don't me?"

"Does Lauren want an eomma?" Lauren nodded repeatedly. Seungho chuckled. "Daddy has to find the right person first to be your eomma." Lauren frowned in confusion while looking at her dad. Seungho glanced at chuckled. He changed the topic. "What do you want for lunch?"

"Ms. Kim introduced us to fish, can we eat fish?"

"Of course we can. But there are no fish restaurants nearby. And daddy has to go back to office soon..." Lauren pouted. Seungho touched her nose briefly and smiled, "We'll eat fish by the weekend, okay?"

Lauren smiled and nodded. The stepped on the bus and made their way to their favorite restaurant. Lauren stained her face with sauce as always, and Seungho had to clean up the mess. After the lively lunch, Seungho took her back to their home. It was a modest apartment just a few minutes away by bus from kindergarten Lauren went to. As soon as Seungho opened the door, Lauren rushed in. She always liked their home. It wasn't too big, nor too small. Seungho bought her the toys she wanted and he would call her when he was about to leave for home. Lauren didn't need anything else. The only thing she always waited for was to see her daddy. 

Seungho bent down to Lauren's level. "Don't..."

"Open the door for strangers," Lauren continued Seungho's line.

"Only..."

"Answer the call from the secret phone."

"Never..."

"Let the windows open."

"Good girl," Seungho ruffled her hair. The secret phone is the cable phone in their room, which only Seungho and Lauren knew the number. It was a special handphone for Seungho to call Lauren to check up on her, for he would not let Lauren picked up the home's phone. Who knows who might be calling? Credit card agent, insurance agent, some random people, or Seungho's friends, what would they do if they know there was no one in the house except for a 5 years old girl? Being an over-protective daddy for 1 year already as he was, Seungho could not let Lauren pick up that phone. So he bought a simple handphone for Lauren to call Seungho if anything happened, or vice versa. Lauren would anticipate the ringtone and run to pick it up if her dad calls. Seungho always did call the handphone whenever he got free time or when he was about to go home.

Seungho checked twice that the windows are all locked as he waved Lauren goodbye. "I'll be back at 6. Behave until then, okay?" Lauren waved with her usual smile. "Bye bye, daddy." Seungho smiled. He made sure he locked the door and knock twice to beckon for Lauren to slot the key. As he heard the clicking sound from inside, he walked away, to the lift, and catch the bus to go back to his office just in time before lunch break ended.

"Hyung, the CEO wanted to see you," Cheolyong approached him as soon as he landed his feet on the office.

"Got it, Mireu," Seungho flshed a smile and call him by his nickname. Seungho went to his desk first, though. He needed to organized some stuff. Just then, he realized he was still keeping Lauren's drawing in his pocket. It was folded, but was okay. Seungho just noticed the text below the picture, written with an almost unreadable alphabets, and wasn't even straight in its pink color. 'I love Daddy,' it said. Seungho smiled to himself. He took some plesters and glued the picture to his desk's corner.  Seungho then head to the CEO's office. He pushed the heavy door open, and the director spread a wide smile on his face.

"Seungho-ya! You're back!" He gestured for Seungho to sit down.

"Annyeong haseyo, Jihoon hyung," Seungho walked to the chair and sit comfortably. Everyone called each other with either hyung, noona, eonni, or oppa here. No one called their higher ups by 'director-nim, manager-nim,' or anything else. That's what Seungho liked about the company. It felt like they were one big family. And for Seungho who grew up without parents, it meant big deal. Just look at this guy in front of him. He's the founder, CEO, and the big boss. But he treated everyone like his family. But of course, everyone kept aside personal feelings when it comes to job. Professionality is a must, after all. "You wanted me, hyung?"

"Yes," Jihoon pulled a drawer and searched for some documents. When he found what he wanted, he put it on the table for Seungho to see. "There are some new trainees to be transferred here."

"More?" Seungho narrowed his eyes. He took the sheets and observed it carefully. Name by name listed there, but what intrigued him was that their trainees were recruited somehwere else. "Wait a minute. Our trainees aren't supposed to be transferred anywhere."

"I know," Jihoon sighed. "Other companies recruited them and they of course, couldn't say no. Trainees, after all, are not bound to one company. Being a small company we are, we can't do anything."

"...They were ready for debut too..." Seungho shook his head. "Well, what about the new trainees?"

"They're newbies from other company. Long story short, our future idols are taken, and we have to start from zero again with the newbies."

Seungho faceplamed himself. Disaster. "Our company can't survive with only one idol. The demands nowadays are too many. We don't launch new idols soon, Joon will die of tiredness."

"Well actually there are some hopes. Sanghyun there is half-way through being an idol. He'll be ready in a year, I suppose. And his sister is already an idol."

"Oh, really?" Seungho finally felt some relief. "Okay, I'll put their datas into the computer," Seungho stood up.

"And continue discussing the problem about the variety with Joon and the managers."

"Yes, hyung."

"Soon after that contact the variety and give a confirmation."

"Yes, hyung."

"Also make sure Joon still has 5 hours to sleep."

"Yes, hyung, I know what to do," Seungho chuckled. After these past 10 months working here, he already knew his CEO's rules. 5 hours is the minimum time to sleep for trainees and idols, focus more on albums instead of variety, and prioritize the girls. Jihoon smiled in satisfaction. Seungho walked out from the room and soon after that, he called for Byunghee, his most dependable assistant. "Jio-ya." He called by his nickname. Everyone here has their nicks. Except Seungho. He's too serious for that, and for anyone who tried to make him one.

"Are Joon and the managers here yet?" He asked, soon after the guy came to him.

"Nope. They're still shooting for the CF," Jio checked the schedule on the papers he brought. "They'll be here at 4, though."

"Okay, tell them we got a meeting to do after they come back."

"Sure," Jio took his phone out and start texting.

"Ooh, hyung..." Mir smirked in front of Seungho's desk. "Is this your daughter's drawing?"

"Oh yes. She got talents, huh?" Seungho smiled as he went to his desk.

"And pretty," Mir smiled, remembering her face. He only met her once, when Seungho brought her here to meet the his coworkers. "If only she's 10 years older..."

"Don't even think about it," Seungho winced.

"But hyung, you're not married yet, right? How come you have a daughter?"

"Our Seungho turned out to be a baaaad boy," Jio smirked behind his desk. Seungho glared at him. Mir was about to say that too, but being younger, he didn't have the guts. Seungho's glare was deadly. But Jio, the same-age friend, could say that in a relaxed tone.

"It's a long story, but it's not like what you think," Seungho shook his head, not sure either to laugh of embarassment or mad. He picked up the phone to call another company for business. But before that, he had to check on the little girl.


Seungho unlocked the door. Surely, the small girl inside must've heard the clicking sound. But he knocked on the door anyways. "Lauren-ah, it's daddy." The sound of rushing footsteps could be heard, and with a clicking sound, the slot was unlocked, and the door opened. "Daddy!!" Lauren spread her arms wide. "Daddy's home!!"

"Daddy's home...!" Seungho repeated Lauren's line. "What were you doing?" Seungho lifted her, closed the door behind him and glanced at the TV. It was showing Pororo. Lauren's favorite.

"I was watching Pororo," Lauren answered in all the honesty. "Rupee was kidnapped!" Lauren pointed at the TV, looking worried. Seungho chuckled.

"Oh no!" Seungho made a worried face. "Did Pororo saved her?"

"The ugly witch slowed him down!!" Lauren raised her voice in anger.

"Okay... But we have to leave him because you will have dinner."

"No! Wait until the show ends!" Lauren struggled and release herself from Seungho's embrace. She ran to the sofa and glued her eyes to the TV.

"Stay 30 centimeters away, Lauren," Seungho reminded. Lauren pushed herself back on the sofa, obediently. Seungho smiled and head to the kitchen to make dinner. His cooking wasn't very delicious, but it's eadible, at least. Lauren peeked behind the sofa, leaving her favorite show. She can't miss her daddy wearing a pink apron she chose. He looks ridiculous, Lauren smiled secretly, looking at Seungho's cooking figure.

I love it when daddy's home. I always waited for it. All I need is for daddy to be home.