When Key's over.

Timing Is Key

Minho's POV

''Yah!! Choi Minho, what is the issue with you'' Jonghyun hyung said, clumsily putting the soccer ball down and sitting on the grass besides me. ''It’s about Taeminee isn't it'' He added with a small smirk.

''HYUNG, don’t call him that. And no, why must everything be about him, this has nothing to do with him alright'', I lied as I took my place besides him, snatching the soccer ball. I’ve already had to tell Key about my little crush, I do not want to tell hyung as well, he will either tell the entire team about it or tell Tae. The later being a lot worse. 

''Minho, you are forgetting Taemin is my brother, I can call him whatever name I want to, he isn't going to stop me. Would you just tell me what the issue is already. Oh, and btw, I hear Nana asking Tae out.'' he thinks for just about a second before adding

''OMG, its coz of that right, you like Nana!''

''What the hyung, where does Nana come into all of this, I don’t even know her.'' 

''But you defiantly know that she asked Taeminee out.. and''

''Can you please try and not call him that hyung, at least in front of me. And yeah I know she asked him out, and I also know that he turned her down this morning.. so.'' 

First of all, I get really irritated when anyone calls my Taemin (well not mine yet) using the petname only I am given the right to use and second, why in the world is hyung being so interrogative. I know she asked him and presuming from our conversation yesterday, I am confident he was going to say no. The only reason my mood is still so off is because.. the entire Nana thing doesn’t change anything. I still like him a lot and he has no idea, he obviously doesn’t like me back, or likes guys at all. What am i suppose to do, I think making a small pout and turning back to hyung.

''What, he is turning her down? Clearly my brother is no smart.' Was his slow but animated reaction, with a glimmer of happiness on his face and a lot of shock. So I was right about every guy wanting to be with her huh.

''Yes hyung, you can take your chance if you like her, Tae is not interested.'' I said slowly getting up and walking back to the locker rooms. ''

Are you coming or what, I don’t have time to waste, meeting up with Tae and Key in an hour''

I hear him mumble something about his cute little brother spending more time with me and Kibum and not with his hyung, I chuckle listening to his blabbering as we walked back. 

~*~

Key lets himself inside the living room, dumping his bag-pack on the couch and setting himself comfortably next to it without any hesitation, pretending it’s his home not mine. Not that I mind though. 

I’ve known Key for almost two years. That’s when he moved to Seoul and joined my class. We became fast friends and kept getting closer with time. He knows everything about me, and I like to believe that I know everything about him too. Key was quiet yet fun and an interesting person, I didn’t like making too many friends, but Key had such a strong personality and a kind heart that I honestly wanted to spend more time with him and to get to know him better. 

Our closeness is what gave my little secret about Taeminee away.

I met Tae much later, around 10 months ago.His brother, Lee Jonghyun is on the same soccer team as me. Between him cheering us with genuine enthusiasm, joining us for post match meals, and bumping into each other ever so often in school, Taemin and I got very close. He came into my life like an unstoppable force, sunshine smiles and glistering eyes, before I could even think of what all of our iterations were leading too, before I could comprehend it all and maybe put a stop to it, I had already fallen hard for the brunette.

''So where is Taemin?'' I heard key inquire as he was setting up the PS3.

''He sent me a text just a little while ago, he’s going to be a bit late.''

''Minh..'' 

''So what are we playing today?'' I didnot let him continue for I knew all too well what he was going to bring up. 

''Darling, you and I both know that by interrupting me you are not going to avoid telling me about it. Did you finally confess yesterday? And to answer your question, we are playing Assasins Creed.''

''Key.''

''You chicken-d out last minute din't you''

''I was going to tell him Key, I swear''

He just raises an eyebrow at that and looks back at the TV screen, I know he does not believe me.

''Look, at first I agree I was really nervous, but after that long talk we had about how he had to know how much I liked him and how just maybe he would return my feelings, I made up my mind about telling him.''

''Tae didn’t showup?''

''You must have heard that Nana asked someone out yesterday morning..''

''Minho, you know I am not one to keep up with petty gossip, why the hell would I care who Nana wants to be with? Stop chaning the topic.'' I should have known Key was unaware.

''Because she wants to be with Taemin.'' I replay sharply. 

''oh. OH. PLEASE TELL ME TAEMIN DIN'T SAY YES.'' he almost yelled, pausing the game and turning to me instantly. I copy his actions to reply. 

''Taemin told me all of that yesterday at the cafe when I was going to confess. He wasn't sure what to tell Nana and asked me for advice''

Key squinted his eyes processing what I had said. 

''And what valuable advice did you give him?''

''I managed to tell him not to say yes, what he tells her though, is finally up to him. I realllyyyy really hope he says no. I know he doesn’t like her, he’s just being my silly Taeminee and getting confused over his feelings for her,he belongs with meee!'' I say in a whining tone. 

Key turns back to the tv with a toothy smile. 

''What?''

''Nothing.'' Was his reply maintaining that smile.

''Keyyyy!! I am clearly annoyed here and you are smiling, forget helping me. ''

''I am sorry but it’s just so cute when you get all whiny when it comes to him, especially adorable when you call him 'your Taeminee'.'' 

''I-I am not cute!! stop with that!'' I try and focus all my attention back on the game and try really hard not to stammer while replying to him or turning red.

''Okay okay, I am sorry Min. Look, although I don’t spend as much time with Tae as you do, I know everything will work out between the two of you provided one of you makes the first move. I also know how freaking shy he is, naive not to mention, he is totally unaware of this feelings and so you need to make him realize that it’s you he is in love with, and it’s because of you that he was considering turning down Nana.''

My heart skipped a beat thinking of Taemin 'loving' me, even I dint know if I loved him yet,Key lets words like that just slip (he does it very often) and I knew the blush was returning to my face as I thought of Taemin realizing that he likes me and me kissing him and asking him out.

My daydreaming was cut short when I heard key laughing loudly, I am pretty sure at me.

''Minho stop thinking of your lover-boy for once and pay attention to the game.'' He said while taping my shoulder. 

''You look pretty darn hilarious spacing out like that, staring at the blank wall with a ridiculous grin by the way'', he managed to say in between his laughs. 

 

-Ding Dong-