Away, But So Close

Hands

I stared at my phone, willing it to ring.

“What is he doing?” I heard a whisper, but I ignored it.

A sigh reached my ears and then a clap on my shoulder. “Just call him.”

I tore my eyes away from the phone and looked up to see Kris standing over me, a worried look on his face.

“I…why isn’t he calling?” I murmured, looking back down at the silent phone. It’s been two days since we landed in China. I know, two days doesn’t sound that long. But any time away from my baby was too long. Why isn’t Se Hun calling?

“They’re busy, you know that. They’re probably on a show or something.” Lay offered from across the room.

I sighed. “Yeah, you’re probably right.”

“Hyung, call him. He’s probably waiting for you to call.” Chen spoke up.

I stood up. When I looked into my members’ faces, I could see their concern for me written all over. I smiled at them. “Okay, I’ll call him.”

................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

I locked myself in my temporary bedroom, falling on the soft bed on my back. Lifting the phone up to my face, I looked at the time. 8:34 PM. Perfect. Recalling my own time in Korea, I knew that by now, the boys were probably back in the dorm, just relaxing after a hard day.

I flipped on my stomach, my finger hovering uncertainly over the call button. I stared at the number, the digits already burned into my mind a long time ago. I shifted my attention to the profile picture next to his name. It was taken during our trainee days, where we had been so carefree. I had my arm around his shoulder, and his face was lighted in a grin, not looking directly into the camera.

I smiled, recalling all the memories we had together. In a rush of nostalgia, I pressed the call button, immediately cursing after I did so. As the sound of ringing filled my ear, I could feel my pounding heart beating in my chest. What if he didn’t want to talk to me? What if hadn’t called me on purpose? Was I being bothersome to him? Countless questions filled my mind, further increasing my heart rate.

After five rings and numerous thumps of my heart, I was just about to hang up when a soft voice filled my ear.

“Hello?” The sweet but tired voice mumbled, immediately bringing a smile to my face.

“Se Hun…” I whispered, the questions still swirling in my head.

“Lu Han hyung?” He asked, this time sounding fully awake.

“Yeah…” I answered, waiting for his response. When it didn’t come and complete silence greeted me, I hurriedly tried to fill in the blanks. “I…how are you? Hard practices? China’s great. It feels really good being home. But I miss Korea. It’s not the same, you know? I mean, sure, the view’s nice and the food’s great too, but—“

“Lu Han.”

“—it’s different. I’m still getting used to it. Which is weird, since this is where I’m from right? But I guess—“

“Hyung.”

“—I need to give it some time. I don’t know. Maybe it’ll get better after—“

“WHY DIDN’T YOU CALL BEFORE?” Se Hun shouted into the phone, causing me to flinch in surprise. I had been blabbering, trying to fill the silence.

“I…what?” I ask, not sure of his question.

“It’s been 53 hours since you left…53 hours since I heard your voice…why didn’t you call earlier? I thought…I thought something happened. Or...” He trailed off.

All the previous questions vanished from my mind. That’s why he hadn’t called me. He was waiting for me to call him.

“Hunnie…I’m sorry. I’m so sorry. I hadn’t realized…I was waiting for you to call me.” I answered truthfully.

Silence. Then a small giggle. More laughter. Soon, Se Hun was cracking up and I had joined him.

“Hunnie…why….are…we…laughing?” I asked in between breaths.

“We were…both waiting for…the other…to call.” He gasped back.

With this statement, a new round of laughter overtook us and it took another minute for us to stop. The conversation after this fit of laughter was much more relaxed, which I was glad of.

“Hannie?” He asked suddenly.

“Mmhmm.” I answered, smiling.

“Can you feel this?” He whispered.

“What?”

“Close your eyes.” He ordered.

I complied.

“Imagine…I’m right next to you. We’re in the dorm after an eight hour dance practice. We’re in our room, sitting together. I’m holding your hand in mine. Can you…can you picture that?”

I shivered, the scene he described feeling so familiar, yet so far away. “Yeah.”

“Now…tell me what I’m doing.”

I lay still, the picture so real. I smile, knowing exactly what he was thinking.

“You’re smiling at me. Your hand is in mine. You’re making shapes…you’re drawing hearts on my palm.” I whisper.

I could feel him smile.

For the next few minutes, we stayed silent. I could feel his steady breathing, not heavy or labored. And as I lay there with my eyes closed, I could almost feel it. I could almost feel Se Hun’s hand, drawing countless hearts on my palm, showing his endless love for me.

And in that moment, we never felt so close, so connected to each other.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hey guys! Hope you're enjoying this story...cuz it's coming to an end D: next chapter will be the last one! Btw, I added this chapter since so many of you seemed to like the part where Se Hun drew hearts on Lu Han's hand :3 so I decided to incorporate it into this chapter hehe. Hope you liked it!