Separation

Hands

It was our first separation.

The news came less than a day before, informing the six EXO-M members that our first Chinese interview would be less than two days later and that we needed to leave the next morning. It was a shock to all twelve of us, as we had thought (or more precisely, hoped), that we would have weeks or even months more together. But there was the call…and there we had to go. There was no changing it, just like the fact that we, whether we liked it or not, were going to be promoting separately.

The day of the departure was a blur with everyone running everywhere. I could hear shouts ("JONGIN, WHERE'D YOU PUT MY HAIR DRYER?") and sniffles ("You'll be back Minseok...it'll be fine"). We didn’t know how long we’d stay in China, or what to bring. So, we filled our suitcases with everything we could fit, even the useless things. Who knew when we were coming back?

“Come on! Get your lazy butts in the car!” The manager shouted at us, swatting Tao’s behind as the maknae of our group climbed into the backseat.

“CHILD ABUUUUUUSE!” Tao shouted at the top of his lungs.

The manager face palmed. “Really, Zi Tao?”

Tao pulled a ninja move from out of nowhere and answered, “Hyung, I know wu shu. Don’t mess with me.”

The manager just sighed.

I smiled faintly, watching everything from the side.

“Lu Han hyung?”

I turned around and found Se Hun near the van, extending a hand to me. “Are you coming?”

I looked at his hand for a second, then, as if it were the most natural thing in the world, took it without a second thought.

He smiled at me as he pulled me through the open door and then pushed me down into a seat next to him. Although everyone else was talking and laughing around us, we stayed silent, staring into each others’ eyes. It wasn’t until D.O. reached over to tap me on the shoulder to inform me that we had arrived did I realize that throughout the cruelly short drive, Se Hun’s hand never left mine.

As we entered the crowded airport, camera flashes were the first things I noticed. All of us stood in the entrance, slightly surprised and confused. I blinked in the light and my first thought was to drop Se Hun’s hand.

As I moved to do so though, I felt Se Hun tightening his grip on me. I looked over at him and could see him cowering from the reporters and fans. He looked at me and I could see the nervousness in his eyes.

Seeing him so anxious reminded me that I was his hyung and that in these kinds of cases, I should protect him. I gripped his hand tightly and pulled him along through the crowd. As I glanced back, I could see him giving fleeting smiles to the fans. I smiled, thinking that our shy maknae was growing up.

“It’s time guys…say goodbye.” EXO-M’s manager told us softly, moving away to give us some space.

All around me I could hear and see the other members saying their last goodbyes, hugging and laughing. I turned to Se Hun, whose stone face reminded me just how serious this situation was.

I sighed and pulled him in for a hug. Immediately, I felt his arms wrapping around my body and his hands moving up my back to my hair.

“I’m not saying it. I’m not saying goodbye.” Se Hun whispered, his voice tight.

I shut my eyes, thinking that even though he’s matured a lot in these few months, he’s still the stubborn eighteen year old maknae. “You don’t have to. Because…because this isn’t goodbye. We’ll see each other soon.”

I felt him nod with force. “Y…yeah. Just…come back quickly okay?”

I smiled and smoothed down his ever wild hair. “Of course.”

“And…I’ll miss you hyung.” He whispered, his voice cracking.

I tightened our hug, burying my face in his shoulder. “Me too Hunnie…I’ll miss you too.”

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Aaahh...turning so angsty D: can't stand the thought of my Hunhan being separated! Oh btw, finally reached 200 subscribers! I love ALL of you <3 thank you SO much for sticking with me!