AUCTION

SHOULD HAVE BEEN AND WHAT SHOULD HAVE BEEN

"Suzy, have you heard of this year's fund raising gimmick?"

Suzy did not react at all. She was listening to some Adele songs that had completely taken over her playlist.

"Sorry, I hadn't heard anything you said for the past five minutes..."

"You know Suzy sometimes your really mean...."

Suzy  took off the earphones and secured them inside her bag. She then leaned over and plafully pinched Michelle's cheeks until it was read. 

Suzy grinned. 

Since young, both of them were like that. Suzy being selfishly childish compared to Michelle. Both of them are best of friends but since Suzy moved abroad and returned back, nothing had really changed between the two of them.

"Suzy, when can I even stay mad at you.", Michelle pouted. 

"So you were saying?"

"About the annual fund raising.... this year, they said it's going to be a little different..."

"And so what about it? As if we have actually participated in one of those events...."

Suzy and Michelle were like the girls who always kept low profile of themselve and stayed out of trouble. 

"I heard that ... it would be in a form of an auction.."

"Auction?"

"Yeah, you know how eccentric the new student council president is."

"Yeah."

"So I've heard that she proposed that this year.... the council would be inviting BOYS from different schools....... and then.... it's like those who would be participating would be like only those who are seriously above the others..... you know what I mean.... and to for you to score a date with that guy.... you have to be the highest bidder...."

What Michelle meant was, popular guys from other schools would be invited to their school to be auctioned of for a date. 

"So why even bother telling me. But seriously, that is one brilliant idea considering there had not been a single soul of a man who had entered the gates of our since we know when........"

Suzy and Michelle were studying in an exclusive all-girls boarding school run by strict nuns.... 

"The best part of it is that I heard that the proposal had already been approved just this morning... The President surely has some control over those nuns........."

"Shhhhhhh. Keep it down. We don't want to be heard right?"

Suzy stood up to get something from the salad bar. When she got back  at the table, she just watched Michelle do her own business. She kept on texting and checking out her twitter. Suzy was just about to put her earphones back on when she herself got startled when Michelle started throwing out her ever-famous attention catching series of "Oh my God"'s and sarcasm.

"Here, Nina tweeted me the participants of the auction." Michelle handed her blackberry to Suzy. 

Suzy face grew pale. Something or someone might have caused her to grow pale and restless all of a sudden. She forced a smile on her face.

"The president is seriously good, she even managed to invite not only a few popular guys our age, but a dozen? That is seriously amazing of hers. Suzy?"

Suzy just stared blankly. For the next few days, Suzy had not been herself. She's always spacing out and out of focus. 

The day before the auction, everyone was excited. Suzy pretended that she was part of the hype but deep inside she was facing a terrible turmoil of emotions and it was obvious to Michelle. That day, there was an event in which, the boys who would be participating in the auction were gathered together and shown to the student body. Everybody was fussing about their bets and how much would they be spending on whom... the whole auditorium was filled with noise. 

Michelle and Suzy sat beside their classmates but Michelle was talking to one of them when she realized that Suzy wasn't seated next to her anymore. 

"Ouch, stop it. It's hurting me"

Suzy found herself being dragged into a dark secluded side of the auditorium. It was already dark and she wasn't really in her right mind at the time before someone took her arm and dragged her. All that she knew that whoever that was was too heavy and too strong to pull like a girl. 

"This is not funny, I'm going to report you to Mother Superior......

"Suzy it's me. Myungsoo."

Then all of a sudden,Suzy's whinning stops. She can feel her body being slowly paralazyed by an unkown cause. She tried to move but the space was too small for both of them. But the thing is that even in the dark, Suzy can see his face clearly. She was definately taken by surprise. She and Myungsoo looked at each other's eyes for a few seconds but it was her who first backed-out. Whatever happpened in the past between the two of them must have been to serious. 

"I need you to bid for me.", Myungsoo grabbed both of Suzy's hands. It felt like acid touching on her cold bare skin. She tried to back off but they were sandwiched between two walls. 

"Why would I do that?"

In a split second, Myungsoo leaned over and gently kissed Suzy. She closed her eyes, and when she opened them, his lips were pressed on her forehead. 

She pushed him away and ran. Myungsoo didn't try to stop her. 

Suzy returned to her seat. Michelle tried asking her where she went but Suzy just looked so shocked. Michelle knew that there was something awfully bothering Suzy so she just kept quiet. 

Everytime a guy would be introduced, girls would be on the edge of their seats, while the guy smiles or waves at them, the more the girls gone wild. But there she was, unable to move, unable to hear. The beating of her heart just kept on pounding on her chest cavity. 

And atlast, when Myungsoo was called into the stage. She didn't know exactly what to do, where to look. But as soon as he stepped on the stage, the crowd went wild, but he just kept on looking directly at her. Unlike the previous guys who would do anything to get everyones attention, with his mysterious and cold image of himself, it was enough charisma to get anybody's attention. In the middle of it all, Suzy knew that in the sea of disturbingly wild girls, she was sure that he was only looking at her. And it sent shivers down her spine. 

That night, Suzy wasn't able to get even an wink of sleep. Her restless heart made her exhausted and she just wanted to get everything over and done with by tomorrow. 

And little did she know that the grueling hours of anticipation for the auction had ended and a few guy had already been auctioned off. And everytime one does, the bidding gets steep.  Finally it was Myungsoo's turn. Both of their faced were etched with worry and fear of whatever would be their deisred outcome of this would not turn out how would they want it to be.

Girls would now be willing to spend thousands just for a silly date. But in the middle of the bidding process, Myungsoo took the microphone from the MC and spoke. 

"Someone really special to me goes to school here. And she doesn't want to talk to me, nor I can't find a way to talk to her, the only way that I know of is through this auction. I just want to talk, that's it. I am so ashamed that after all this time, it's me who would be asking you a favor. Bid for me as much as you can, I seriously want to be with you for atleast a day"

The crowd went wild. Everybody's thinking that it's just his strategy to have the highest bid. Everyones wild trying to bid. 

"Suzy. I know you're here. Please... I just want to talk. "

Then eveyrone was silent. All of them were looking at her. But she just looked ahead blankly without blinking. When everyone got off guard, someone placed her bid, but then, surprisingly, Suzy stood up. Without taking a breath and with all of her convinction she said. 

"I'll double her bid."

Myungsoo was able to breathe out a sigh of relief. But Suzy, tears just streamed down her face as she looked down on the floor. Her long beautiful hair covered her face. 

"Kim Myungsoo. Sold to Suzy Bae."

Myungsoo ran towards her and hugged her tightly, but she just kept her head down. 

"Thanks Suzy......."

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"I just wanted to talk. To say that I'm sorry. For walking in and out of your life whenever I wanted, just like now. I'm so sorry for letting you go."

"Do you think that just because of this everything would be back the way they used to?"