BUTTON

SHOULD HAVE BEEN AND WHAT SHOULD HAVE BEEN

 

*BUTTON
               One fine Tuesday afternoon, Suzy finds herself lost in desperation to book tickets for the earliest flight to Seoul. Never did in her dreams occured nor had she wished for to return too soon. She had been living abroad, moved alot too many because of her parents. Now, a succesful blogger and fashion intern at a magazine. The reason for her abrupt distress was that she had booked a job as a fashoin consultant for a magazine in Seoul. It was too good for an offer to put into waste. Her blog too was already www. (World Wide Web)-famous, especially known for her entries about love, the heart, and anything that is concerned with it. She has to come as soon as she can as to not to activate the self-destruct mode of her career. 
 
 
              It happened four moths ago when Suzy has to go to Seoul for a family occasion. Suzy apparently comes from an extremely established family in Seoul with a good standing in the business community. She had been recquired by her parents to come, not because of sincere intentions of being complete for the occasion but because of underlying business reasons. The power struggle between her family against the interest of outsiders had been going on for years and that was the reason why Suzy hadn't come home for years and instead lived away from her real life. She was a legitimate heir of a business empire. 
   
               During a completely random visit at a shopping center in Seoul, she happened to come across one of the renowned magazine editors in the fashion industry in Seoul. Suzy had impressed her with her knowledge and certain aproach to fashion. When the editor had a hard time choosing what satchel bag to buy to come along with her newly purchased dress, Suzy aproached her and told her the pro's and con's of the bags. Impressed by her, she gave her her card and told Suzy to give her a call when she's free. That was what kicked-start her career. She told herself that she wouldn't let her identity be exposed so that she can establish her career free from critiques. 
             '
  Her grandfather, her father's father decided that it was Suzy's father to take on the business in the future and decided to throw a party to establish her father's stand on the company despite the objections some has made and to show that they are a solid family, Suzy has to come to the party. 
     
           And on the same night of the party, it was already too late when she realized  that she was about to have her mothly period. She wlked out of the hotel and made her way to a convenience store. The way she was dressed and how she carries herself will surely leave a lasting impression on anyone. But there she is on her way to  a convenience store in her four inch heels and dazzling expressive outfit to buy feminine napkins. 
 
On her way back, she had left  her luck inside the store and made a wrong turn once or twice and ended up being harrased by two scary thugs demading money and her jewelry. Her Korean wasn't good anymore and it made thigs harder for her. 
But then she saw a guy in a black suit. He looked way to decent to be one of the thugs, still she didn't trust him. At first he just stood there with an expressionless look. Then the next thing she knows is that he got into a fight, threw a few punches and took one or two for himself but in the end he had truimphantly warded off the street thugs. 
 
As corny and cliche Suzy might find it be when she hears this story happen to somone else, it was too real and terrifying the momennt she finds out that it had happened to her. 
 
Suzy thanked the expressionless guy who had been her savior. The momment she snapped back into reality, she can clearly see her saviors face. She asked him if he was ok and assured him that she was fine. She looked around to see if she had lost something else besides her cuff bracelet, she saw a round black button that came from his suit. 
 
The guy suggested that they file a police repor t after knowing that she'd been robbed of a cuff bracelet. Suzy can let go of the bracelet but the guy insisted that they go to the station. For a while, Suzy looked uncomfortable and it hinted the guy that she wasn't still trusting him. 
 
"Ok, I have helped you and I know you at some point. And yet you don't trust me. Fine, I saw you at the party and it happened that I was only way home when I saw you and those foul players following you around."
For Suzy who had been exposed to various kinds of people found her savior , based on the physical aspect, he was  above the average standard guy. 
 
He walked with his hands tucked inside his side pockets slightly leaning backwards, Suzy thought that he was well-dressed and high-srandardly groomed. Like a common well-known celebrity in the industry. 
 
The guy carries himself well as if he had not gone into a fight. He twice or thrice took out a hand and fixed his hair. People would stare at them giving this kind of "Are they shooting a drama in the middle of the night?" look.
She had to admit it herself, but not once in her life had she imaginied beeing a damsel in distress and being saved by a good-looking prince in the middle of the night. 
 
When they reached the police station, they were immediatley attendted to by the staff. The office was well lit and his bruises started to become more visible. The officer was kind enough to lend them a first-aid kit.  There were fresh bruises on his knuckels and he also had a cut on his lip. All turned out very red because his skin was fair and Suzy saw the severity of the punches he took for her. When Suzy tried to apply ointment on his lip, he backed away. 
 
"Come on, I know what I'm doing. I took four different first-aid classes, can't you not trust me the way I trusted you? I'm Suzy by the way. "
 
"You sure don't look like the type of person that knows this kind of things. Myungsoo."
 
While waiting for their papers to be proscessed, Suzy remembered the button he lost. She took out spool of black thread and needle from her purse. Myungsoo was surprised and had an inquisitive look. 
 
"Why, aren't you a girl-scout?", he said. 
 
"I'm a stylist's intern. I always have three colors with me. Wanna see?"
 
He nodded. Suzy slided herself closer to Myungsoo and asked him to stretch his arms for her. When Suzy saw where the button should go, she carefully stitched in on the cuff of his coat. 
 
"There good as new."
 
And she smiled. 
 
And for some reason, Myungsoo felt very happy deep inside. 
____________________________________________________________
 
Suzy ran to get her caffeine fix before her flight. The line was longer than what she expected. She doesn't want to compromise her cravings before a long and stressfull flight. 
 
She went over the line. Standing before her in a line was a tall guy who stood with his hands on his pocket and sligthly leaned back. 
 
Suzy continously looked at her watch. If only she can cut the line or she'd had to miss her flight. It was the only option she can think off. 
 
Maybe the guy infront of her would be kind enough to lend a few of mintues to her. But she was very hesitant. 
 
He also looked like he too is also in a hurry, he kept fidgeting but kept looking on the floor. Unexpectedly, as if the guy had heard someone call his name from behind, he turned around to search whether if it was really someone or his imagination. 
 
And when he did turn, he smiled.
 
She smiled back.