NEEDED

SHOULD HAVE BEEN AND WHAT SHOULD HAVE BEEN

 

Don't you ever wonder, why sometimes you can not be satisfied with even with the simplest things? 
 
The less it becomes the more you want something from that little something.
 
It is as if you would make you always wanting for more. 
 
Sunday afternoon, your only day off from work. Woke up a little late than your usual 6 am routine. 
 
No time for breakfast. You hurried to finish your laundry and tidied your apartment a little. It has been a while since you had the intiative to clean your apartment. Endless due dates ahead of you, you just wanted to have a fresher environment the next time you start working again.
 
Working at the convenience of your own home is a bliss but sometimes it gets stuffy too. 
 
Laundry is now officially done and you, out of all men who work in the same company you work for gets an unexpected call from the big boss telling you,
 "hey, I'm sorry but you better start working your off even if it is your only day off from work."
 
If that is one of the perks of having an endeared position at the company at this early stage of your life, well you must be really lucky. 
 
Your unbelivable bad luck annoyed you, but ofcourse left you no choice. 
 
Stop being childish, you are still paying for newly bought Audi and would definately would not want to loose your job.  Specific instructions on what your boss wanted you to do was later on emailed to you by his secretary. You skimmed through it once, then twice but you still remained uninspired to start working. 
 
When situations like this happen, which it often does nowadays, your definte solution was to get out of your apartment. A cafe, an icecream parlor, at the carwash, as long as it has wifi connection and a place to sit as long as it is not at his own desk, at his own chair, it'll be fine. 
 
Hurrying out of your apartment, given that you must submitt what was being asked of you before your boss would have dinner with one of his clients. Demanding job it is, being in advertising arts was not so bad at first, it was something you are good at, a job in which you use your exceptional creativity. This, and perhaps being to unreasonably eager in life proppelled you up stream and later on, you just found yourself being back downstream. 
 
But even if you fell into the slump, surprisingly you still function productively and ends up doing your job well. 
 
The big boss, suddenly wanted you to revise and go over the production of a new add for an important client, every detail, ever data should be carefully analyzed so that planning stage would be finalized and production should start. Eversince your promotion, you found yourself doing every job there is in the company, from the duty of an intern to a staff of the production team, even the job of the budget manager, it is now your job to look over everything. This is not advertising arts anymore. This is not the job that uses your  creativity. This job is boring you out already. 
 
"I just wanted to know what did the client didn't like about our first proposal, our idea fits their vision perfectly, what now?", you were practically yelling inside your car, alone, driving, on your way to you don't even have any idea where to go, talking to your assistant on your phone. 
 
"I got it, it's not fair that they just wanted to cut a big chunk of their budget at this point in time. Tell them that if I don't finish this on time, they need to find another ad-firm willing to take their project with the kind of budget they have. This is so absurd."
 
Frustration just steams your whole body. You know all to well that what everybody is asking of you is hard to do but still, you are left no choice but to do it, it is now your job. 
 
You wanted to cool off first before doing what you need to do so you drive uptown a little more. Stopping for a red light, you looked around to see exactly where you were now. This was the district near to your college, a few years back. You know the area well and being near a university, there were alot of nice places where you can start working. 
 
You drive around in search of a parking space. A few minutes passed, lucky you a nice parking space. You walked around, letting yourself attain your usual equilibrium, you noticed that you can still blend with the crowd which consist mostly of college students. You feel good about yourself, it has not been that long since you've graduated, it's just that you started working earlier that your graduation date. Three years passed, it feels like so longs since you had felt freedom and experienced the carefree life of a college student. 
 
Finally, you stand infront of the sleeppy looking cafe he worked for during your freshman years. 
 
A rush of memories came rushing back. The sleepy looking cafe was at the brink of closing down when you started your job as a part-time waiter. You never really questioned why you were underpaid as long as you have something to do during the weekend, you didn't complain. You never realized the cafe's financial situation. While stacking what's left of the cafe's supplies at the pantry, you got bored at you took out your pen and started doodling on the pantry's wall. You were confindent with you skills and you drew on the cold surface of the wall. You got absorbed doodling on the wall that you didn't realize that your boss was watching you. Scared you might loose your job, you were surprised with your boss' reaction. Eureka! He just thought of a new marketing strategy for the restoration of his dwindling cafe. He took inspiration from you and started the concept of a  sleeppy cafe from the outside but a grafitti cafe in the inside. So students from the fine arts division of the university would frequent his cafe, restoring his business and later on becomes on of the prominent cafe's around the district, all thanks to you. 
 
Even if after you've quit your job, you always went there for some time alone, mostly to think. 
 
You enter the cafe, it looked different from last time. New art works were on the wall, they must have painted the walls annually, to serve as new canvas for artists who volunteer to paint the walls with their art.  You ordered, your usual regular vanilla iced coffee, less ice, chose the most comfortable spot at the cafe and started going over everything again. 
 
"Excuse me, are you waiting for someone, I just need to charge my Ipad and it so happens that the only place in this cafe where there's an electric socket is near your table.", you heard someone say. You look up  replied. 
 
"I'm sorry but I might be expecting someone later.", even if it's not. You just don't want to be bothered while working. "You can just leave your Ipad here, I would just look over it myself."
 
"Allright. I'll be back later to get it.", the guy plugs his Ipad and left. 
 
Right now, you just lost your concentration and momentum, you are in the verge of loosing your cool, not at the guy but at yourself. You've just made your life twice as stressfull as it was before. 
 
With the deadline nearing and your battle with yourself pushing your limits, you were left no choice but to close your laptop and wait for that spark you needed to start working again. 
 
You looked around. The place isn't bad at all, a little noisy compared to other cafe's but the ambiance is nice and the artworks featured in the cafe definately stimulates one's creativity. Still it wasn't enough for you, you kept on looking for something else. A thing, a person, anything that can send a jolt of electricity down your spine to stimulate you to work. 
 
After looking around, desperately wanting to draw inspiration from your surroundings, one person caught your attention. 
 
A girl, she had long dark hair, going beyong her shoulders, loosely curled at the end, as if the perming solution is starting to ware off. Her skin, immaculately fair and supple. She looked young, but the way she dressed was a little mature that most of the preppy college students around. She had straight bangs covering her forhead. This confused you, whether if she's just a girl of a woman the same age as you. You continued to watch her, temporarily getting you mind off from work and now trying to deduce a final conclusion on this interesting person seated across the cafe, on her own. She's half-way done with her caramel frappe and banofee pie. She had  two large, thick books infront of her aside from the one she's reading now. You now fixed your  attention on the books, it seemed to you that they were medical books. you knew what those were because your older brother used to have those books too. She adjusted her seat closer to the table as her face becomes more serious as she turned from one page to the next. You watch her do what she's doing, not minding anything else. 
 
You just looked at her, you noticed that she bites the end of her pen once or twice, the way she cocked her head from side to side, when her expression suddenly becomes confused. It's not just she's born with good skin, she also looked pale and tired, a hint of dark puffy circles around her eyes, probably covered by a hint of concealer. You then remembered how much of a caffeine junkie your  older brother was when he was in medschool. Again for the second time, she goes over the counter, this time she ordered an iced americano. Her emerald green cardigan was sliding off her right shoulder and she struggles to keep that in place as she waits for her coffee. 
 
"One iced americano for Dr. Suzy.", she goes over the other end of the counter and smiles at the barrista. When she smiled, her eyes smiled too. It was too natural, to heartwarming. You've been to alot of comercial and add shoots where in the endorser smiles infront of the camera, and yet it all felt too fake. How can a person look that happy even if she's too tired with just one cup of coffee. You marvel at that thought. 
 
Now what's clear is that, the interesting person across the caffe is a doctor, perhaps an intern preparing for her oral exams. You just know exactky what's it like to be in medschool even if you've not set one foot inside it, if both of your parents and you older brother are doctors, and you've been raised to be one but decided rebel against everyone, still you are quiet informed by how that world works. 
 
She returns to her readings, she leisurely sipped her coffee as she read the book page by page. She might have finished a chapter or two, maybe more eversince you started watching her. By now you've completely forgotten about your deadline. 
 
Just like that her iced americano is gone what's left in the cup are just a few melting ice cubes. Her lips were very red, maybe because of the cold drink she just had. One thing that stood out all the time you were watching her is when she bites her lowelip. Unconsciously she just bites her lower lip while she's to engrossed reading. Everytime she does that, you feel like there's something inside you, slowly building up. You just look at her, watch her, her gentle eyes, moving gracefully across the page, going through every word from one end of the book to the other, from top to bottom, and then just before she turns the page, she'll sigh and her eyes would widen a little. Then again, she bites her lower lip, even more engrossed to what she's reading. You can tell that she's almost done with one page because the pace of her reading would quicken, you knowing this because her eyes move quicker from end to end. Ocassionally she'd yawn and strecth out her arms.She repeats the process again, page after page after page. 
 
You question yourself, why does everything she does leaves you breathless. Those little things, makes you feel like you wanted more. The feeling's all new and it's starting to fill you up. 
 
You found yourself cought in her magical trance. Your phone suddenly vibrates and then you snapped out of it. It was for your own good. The big boss was checking with your progress. Sad to say you've not made any progress with your revision at all. It was such a let down for you boss, still you have time before the deadline. You just have to re-sort everything from the beginning to the end. I'd take usually a day for you to finsih this kind of job but out of nowhere as if someonelses's pulling your strings you started to work again. 
 
If that is what they call working with inspiration it sure did made your life a whole lot easier. Minutes before your phone vibrates, you've already sent your revision to your boss. Not everything worked out but his revision might be what's really best for both parties. You are confident that you did a good job.  
 
You looked around, thankfully she was still there, seated at the same spot, still going over her readings. You just can't help but look at her. Now her hair is tied up in a single loose bun, her emerald cardigan was too big for her, she suddenly drops her pen, you edged from your seat to help her but it's just that you are seated to far away from her. She picked it up and when she looked up, you and her eyes met for the first time that day. For a moment, both of you clueless of what to do, especially you. She smiled at you, you just froze that instant. Actually, she didn't smile, she grinned at you and went back to read immediately. 
 
Confused, whether was it if you hungry or there's something else inside you, you went at the counter to order a sandwich and much to your surprise, she's standing there beside you at the counter. She's almost as tall as you are, she had long legs, she was just wearing her blue-grey converse. 
 
"Garden Tuna Sandwich, please.", both of you said at the same time. 
 
"I'm sorry but there's only one garden tuna sandwich available.",the doe-eyed cashier just looked at both of you with no change in her reaction. 
 
"You take it, you're the first one who got here.", she tells you. 
 
"I insist you have it. I'll just have chicken or whatever's available, I guess.", you replied. 
 
"Well then, I'll take it. Thanks. I'll enjoy the sandwich well.", she said and smiled at you and at the cashier. 
 
"I'll have the garlic chicken one...thank you..", you handed the cashier your payment and waited for your order. 
 
She's there waiting too. 
 
"Hey, you're here since this morning right?Well, I'm seated across from where you were seated, you looked like you were really busy? Exams?", she suddenly spoke. You weren't even sure if she's talking to you. 
 
"Exams, I'm long done with my exams, it's just that I have to meet a deadline. You know work and stuff..", you replied. 
 
"I thought you're an undergrad! You already have a job! That's so nice."
 
"Do I? Well, you to were too busy, your oral exams are coming up right? My older brother also went to medschool, he's a doctor now and works at a clinic in the US. It's as if I've also been into medschool. I've witnessed how tough it was even for my brother. 
 
"Yeah, today I just had my last minute brushing up, exams are this Wednesday."
 
"You call that brushing up for an exam, you sat there all day doing nothing but reading. You;ve almost finished three huge books."
 
She just laughed, you looked at her cluelessly. 
 
"That's life. By the way I'm Suji Bae. Soon to be Dr. Bae.", she smiled. 
 
When she smiles, her eyes disappears but her expression is still really refreshing. 
 
"Kim Myungsoo, I'm an exec at an advertising firm. We do comercials and ads, no big deal."
 
"Hey, nice to meet you. I think were the same age. I'm 23 this year."
 
"Me too."
 
"One garden tuna sandwich , to go, for Dr. Suzy.", the barrista interrupts their conversation. 
 
"You're going?", you ask her. 
 
"Yeah, I still have to do a few things on my way home. See you around Director Kim.", she waved him goodbye, took her things and went out of the cafe. 
 
She's gone, but must have not gone far. It's not going to end like this, you know you wanted more, you know it's just starting. So you quicken your steps and you followed her outside. You spotted her immediately, 
 
"Suzy, are you free after your exams on Wednesday?", you said while you were following her. 
 
She heard you and looked back and said. Both of you stopped in the middle of a busy street.
 
"Yes and the whole week after that, why Myungsoo?"
 
"I know you'd want to sleep after the exams, but would you rather have coffee, or do something else with me on Wednesday? I'll wait for you, same place, I'll be waiting for you."
 
She smiled back. 
 
"Then, wish me luck on my exams Myungsoo. Wednesday ok?"
 
 
 
For the first time in a long time, you'd finally felt like you need someone so badly and yet you're still so happy about that.