One Step Closer

Reveal Yourself

 

“I’ll reveal who you really are soon.”

 

 

Those words kept on repeating in Lu Han’s head. Despite the fact that he almost exploded yesterday, he is still full of confidence that his other side will not be easily exposed. A petty threat from a little brat isn’t enough to break him apart. Besides what’s worse than water balloons and a small rat getting inside your clothes? Lu Han decided that all he had to was make sure that Baekhyun never leaves his room.

 

At the start of the day, Lu Han forgets that he is no longer working in the main building. He walked inside only to be reminded by a co-worker of his new assignment. He took this opportunity to empty his locker and transfer it to the new building.

 

“Lu! Don’t forget to stop by every now and then, okay?”

 

“I wouldn’t even dream of it!” Lu Han waved him goodbye and flashed his dazzling smile.

 

Getting used to the luxurious set-up of the hospital would take a while for Lu Han. Even back when he was newly-employed, it took him almost a month before getting accustomed to the main building. The annex was somehow on a different level; the place is like a five-star hotel to Lu Han.

 

He entered the facility but was called by the counterperson. He was given a cluster of white Rhododendrons. It is common occurrence to him to receive flowers but it’s his first time to see that kind.

 

“Who was it from?” Lu Han asked as he took the bundle.

 

“It was from the delivery man. He also left a letter.” The female replied, bringing out a small, white card.

 

 

Flowers for you. 

-Anonymous

 

 

 

“I really envy you, you know. You’re a guy yet you receive flowers like this.” The counterperson commented.

 

“I’m not really sure how to react.” Lu Han touched the back of his head as a form of embarrassment. That person surprisingly has this side of him, huh?  This must be his way of saying sorry. I’ll have to treat him better later.

 

The counterperson informed him that he can take any locker he likes at the end of the hall on the first floor. And after organizing his belongings, he asked the lady in the counter to tend to the flower since he doesn’t have a vase. He thanked her and said that he’ll pick it up later after his shift.

 

Lu Han rode the elevator and merrily skipped to his patient’s room. He felt something sticky on the handle of the door so he immediately tried to yank his hand but to no avail. F-ck! False alarm! This kid is worth pushing down the cliff! Ugh!

 

“Lu Wan hyung!” Baekhyun was laughing as he emerged from another room. “Come here! I have something you MIGHT need!” Then, the boy waved a sort of tube back and forth which Lu Han assumed as something that can free his hand from the handle of the door. He decided to deal with this situation step by step.

 

“If it isn’t obvious by now, I’m kind of stuck. Can you come here instead?” he said while pointing to his glued left hand. Baekhyun grinned and Lu Han thought that whatever it is on that brat’s mind is certainly not good. Slowly, his patient took a step and paused every now and then. There was also a point where Baekhyun was skipping casually as if playing hopscotch. By the time he was almost within reach, he suddenly stopped and put the tube on the ground.

 

“Go ahead.”

 

Lu Han could feel his veins popping. Right now, he’s not really in the mood for childish games like this. Since he felt that begging the boy wouldn’t help him in any way, he resorted to attempting to reach for tube on his own. He bent down and extended his right leg only to be teased further by the mastermind of this prank. Every time the nurse’s foot got near the tube, the latter would deliberately pull it gradually away from him. The worst part was that Baekhyun kept laughing in a very mocking way.

 

This irritated Lu Han more. He wanted to rip the boy’s head so badly if not for his slight disadvantage as of the moment. And since there’s barely anyone on the floor right now, this urge of his only grew stronger. He exhaled a rather forbearing breath, Just you wait until I get that tube.

 

 

 

Without anyone noticing, the sun continued to lower from the horizon and it was an amazing fact that two persons are still going on about each other. After Lu Han painstakingly obtained the key to his freedom, it gave him a headache to know that Baekhyun still had a lot more tricks in his sleeves. He had been tolerating his immature pranks for almost the whole day which included getting showered with powder, falling from broken chairs, being startled with a poorly drawn paper ghost in the closet, Baekhyun’s favorite; the water balloons and who-knows-how-many-more-there-were.

 

Through the course of the afternoon, Lu Han had managed to get revenge on the boy once by pinching his cheeks. The reason for it was because he admitted that no matter how agitated he was, he just couldn’t bring himself to choke the asthmatic boy. He might accidentally kill him.

 

They were now inside the room—Baekhyun fiddling with his smart phone and Lu Han cleaning up the prankster’s mess. This is so supposed to be the janitor’s job so why am I doing this again? Anymore of this and I’ll surely ask for re-assignment! Lu Han asked himself after collecting all the trash and went straight to bathroom for freshening up his appearance.

 

However, there is one thing that Lu Han couldn’t understand from everything that happened; why Baekhyun would ask if he was angry over and over again and even going as far as saying that Lu Han can expose all his doings to the Chairman. What exactly did it mean? Yesterday, Baekhyun claimed that he would reveal Lu Han’s ‘real self’, so what does being angry contribute to that goal?

 

Lu Han was on his way back to Room 701 just in time to hear his patient talking to someone. He tiptoed near the opening of the door to peek—more specifically to eavesdrop at what’s happening.

 

“Dad… is in Hong Kong?” As he looked, Baekhyun was standing near the window with his back facing Lu Han. He could obviously tell the disappointment in the younger male’s voice along with the apparent slouching of his back. “Huh?! Me? I don’t even care where he goes! That old fogy can do anything with his life! W-whatever!” The last word sounded forced and if Lu Han wasn’t mistaken, the boy was fighting back tears.

 

Old fogy? His father? What is this about?

 

“B-but hyung… Did Dad… really say that?” Lu Han saw him gulp and caught a glimpse of the boy’s water-filled eyes. There was no response after his inquiry. Baekhyun ended the call and threw his phone at an unknown place.

 

The unexpected turn of the figure in the room made Lu Han stumble back from his peeking position as he headed for the door. However, it was as if everything was invisible when Baekhyun didn’t even acknowledge the older man’s presence. He was confused for a while by the quick progression of the situation but very soon after tailed behind the boy. His pursuit led him to the rooftop as he searched for a pale and petite male patient. A not-so-suppressed sobbing and sniffing was all that Lu Han needed to track his target.

 

Baekhyun was sitting behind the water tank, hands covering his eyes and futilely attempting to hold back his cries.

 

He pitied him. Sincerely, this time.

 

And he really hoped that this isn’t one of his tricks yet again.

 

He sat behind Baekhyun and gently placed his hands on the crying boy’s wrists. He tried to pull it from his face so they could talk directly but he stubbornly fought back.

 

“What?! Leave me alone!”

 

Lu Han let go of Baekhyun’s wrist and just when he thought that the nurse immediately gave up on him, he felt something warm wrapped around him.

 

“Did you know, hugs are known as the universal medicine?” Lu Han said in a comforting tone but he quickly noticed Baekhyun’s rejection of the touch. “So unless you explain what the hell happened down there, I’m gonna keep giving you this type of medicine!”

 

As if disgusted by the idea, the small boy instantly pushed the nurse away resulting in him showing his swollen eyes continuously producing tears. He looked so vulnerable and very much unlike the first impression of him.

 

“I’ll admit, okay, from the bottom of my heart, that I despise you and your terribly lame pranks but just so you know,” Lu Han placed his right hand on Baekhyun’s head. “Mine isn’t made of stone.”

 

 

“I’ll hear you out.”

 

The expression on Baekhyun’s face says he’s not really convinced and was about to say something when Lu Han shut it with his fingers. “LA LA LA! I can’t hear you over the sound of your fail! You’ll tell me all about your little drama and you can’t do anything about it!”

 

Baekhyun pouted and glared at the nagging person in front of him.

 

“Stop that. Glaring won’t work on me, ‘cause I got the most scary glares.”

 

There was awkward silence.

 

And Baekhyun’s slight chuckle broke that silence.

 

 

“But you can’t even avoid my terribly lame pranks? How lame.” Baekhyun continuously chuckled. Lu Han was relieved, he was smiling now.

 

“That’s a different matter.” He went on and pinched his crimson nose. And for the first time, the two of them laughed together.

 

The both of them have opened up a little and they were finally having a conversation without any funny tricks or deception. One step closer, as one would put it.

 

 

 

“Now, spill the beans. What was it about your father?”

 

<><><><><><><><><><><><>

 

First and foremost! Thank you once again to my subscribers! Hey guys~ :">

Lullycream

Mikazsz

SaphiaSky

ilovechuu

evilpuffs

YoonJaeYooSuMin

hokuspokus

sensationoflove

Inspirit0204

... and to other readers as well! 

 

I really did try my best with this chapter but I guess my best only goes so far. ^^; My update took quite a while and I hope this isn't too disappointing.

I will be starting to introduce more characters on the next chapter and since uri BaekHan is getting a little bit closer, hopefully more moments from now on~~! (haha still unsure how chapter 3 will go)

Anyways, hope you like it!