Two Steps Back

Reveal Yourself

 

As soon as Lu Han let go of those words, he regretted it. He could clearly see the disbelief on the younger boy’s face. Baekhyun turned his head and exhaled deeply.

 

“No.”

 

Just as he thought. This stubborn man won’t make it easy for him to suddenly narrate his seemingly dramatic life. Especially to a stranger who he hasn’t even known for a week.

 

“Why?”

 

Baekhyun eyed him like he was some sort of alien. “Why? Because you’re irrelevant and a naggy old woman.”

 

LuHan fumed internally at the comment but ignored it anyway. “Talking always makes things at least a little better, you know.”

 

“Yeah, I know.” He quickly replied. “But not with someone like you.”

 

This turn of events had Lu Han in shock. Even though he had only met the boy two days ago, the person in front of him right now is totally different. Stubborn, yes, but the way he talked suggested that he is more than just a prankster.

 

Baekhyun stood up and hesitantly went to the door. He looked like he was going to say something and went from being a moody teenage boy to a very cute lost puppy.

 

“What?”

 

“Don’t get the wrong idea, ok?” Baekhyun was fidgeting; he kept biting his lip and touching the back of his head. Lu Han is seeing another side of him again. “Just because I don’t want to tell you anything doesn’t mean I… I don’t… appreciate your, um… You’re really kind, ok? That or you’re just simply cursing me inside your mind. So--”

 

“What is it?!” Lu Han became impatient because of his dilly-dallying.

 

“Thank you, ok?!” And with that, Baekhyun bolted into the hospital. Lu Han let out a small laugh, ‘He’s a good kid.’

 

 

The next few days were a lot better, in Lu Han’s opinion. Baekhyun was staying in his room and he hasn’t done any pranks… yet, he thinks. After the phone incident, he was careful not to ask anything about it until Baekhyun decides to tell him himself.

 

Today was just like the other days; Lu Han making sure his patient is taking his medications as well as performing daily check-ups on his condition.

 

Something was bothering him for a while but he wasn’t sure if he should really ask. Baekhyun was scanning the channels from the TV and was complaining about it not having any channels he could understand. Even Dora the Explorer was dubbed in Chinese! “At least they kept the ‘Swiper no swiping’ part.”

 

Lu Han didn’t respond. He just observed the boy and his cute little tantrum. “I mean, what’s the point of dubbing it if they’re gonna put subtitles anyway? This country is weird…”

 

A short laugh broke out of Lu Han. He really couldn’t take it. “I’m sorry… Please, continue.”

 

The boy pouted and squinted his eyes at the laughing nurse. “You think I’m crazy, don’t you?” he asked using a squeaky voice which only made Lu Han laugh louder.

 

“Don’t you have more work to do?”

 

“Unfortunately, I don’t. You’re my only patient.” The older explained.

 

“And why are you my only nurse?” Baekhyun was still acting and it was cracking Lu Han up.

 

“Then why don’t you just ask your appa to add more nurses to attend to you?”  He replied in between laughs.

 

And it him like lightning. He just mentioned a taboo word. His laughter halted and he slowly looked at Baekhyun. But instead of anger, the boy’s expression was just unreadable. ‘Change topic, change topic!’ Lu Han racked his brain for a new subject they could talk about and the first thing that came to his mind was a question he had been meaning to ask for a while now. “Ah… I… Oh! About your asthma!” Lu Han exclaimed. “Right, I was wondering… You’re condition isn’t that bad so why did you get confined anyway?”

 

His question didn’t really help the situation at all. Baekhyun looked very troubled and ended up looking away from him and to the window. ‘What? What did I do?’

 

“Oh, that’s right. I just remembered that I need to… Um, I need to go…” Lu Han trailed off, failing to find an excuse. “I’ll be right back.” Because Lu Han was hurrying to get out of the room, he wasn’t able to catch the sad expression on the boy.

 

 

Lu Han decided to take a stroll back into the main building so he could forget about his little word slip.

 

“Lu, my man!” a familiar voice called when he arrived. “It’s been a while!”

 

He gave a slightly awkward smile to the person waving at him from the lobby. “Yixing, you’re overreacting. It’s been like what… a week?” His last few words came out as a whisper and Yixing couldn’t quiet catch it. “Huh, what did you say?”

 

“Oh, nothing.” He plastered a smile on his face as his friend came closer to him. Lu Han has known Yixing for over 5 years and to be honest, he had never considered him as his best friend. Though Yixing, of course, thinks otherwise. Since their college years, Lu Han noticed that Yixing got close to him only because of the benefits. He was the most intelligent in their batch and was pretty popular among the girls. It just so happened that Yixing needed someone to do his projects and someone to introduce him to girls.

 

The two of them even applied for the same hospital. Lu Han didn’t do anything about it and pretended to be the greatest friend ever to Yixing. ‘Save me from the drama…’ he always reminded himself.

 

It has been this way ever since.

 

Yixing playfully punched Lu Han’s left arm when he finally reached him. “So, we’re planning a dinner next week. Are you free?”

 

“I--”

 

“Oh good! Next week, 7pm. Don’t forget it!” Completely disregarding his friend’s response, Yixing patted Lu Han’s shoulder and merrily skipped back to his post.

 

“Yixing, wait!” ‘I didn’t even say anything!’

 

His ranting was disturbed when a pale-skinned red head man bumped into him. “Sorry.” Lu Han opted to reach for the stranger’s documents that were scattered on the floor but the man beat him to it as if saying, ‘hands off dude’. The man felt suspicious with his dark shades and trench coat but Lu Han couldn’t care less. If the man doesn’t want any help then so be it.

 

As he turned to leave, the man swiftly went in front of him. “Do you know where the restrooms are?”

 

“Ha?” The question was so sudden that Lu Han didn’t know what to reply. The man spoke Chinese but it didn’t seem he was from around here. “Well,” he started. “Every floor has one general restroom and another one for the employees. Every room also has one… obviously, for the patient’s convenience.”

 

The man smiled. “Thank you very much.” Though still unsure of what just happened, Lu Han nodded his head and replied to his thanks.

 

“Oh I almost forgot!” The red-haired man stopped in his tracks and faced him again. “You’re Lu Han right?”

 

As if to check who he was, he bent his head and saw his ID. “Ah… yeah.”

 

“Please look after your patient, okay?”

 

“What…?” Lu Han didn’t understand the stranger’s words.

 

‘Ahhh! Whatever! I left that kid’s room so I could clear my mind but instead I had a Yixing problem and Mr. look-after-your-patient here!’ He ruffled his hair and went outside to the garden. Finally, a nice place for relaxation.

 

 

 

“You’re really like a Barbie doll, you know that.”

 

‘That voice!’ Lu Han scanned the garden for the owner of that voice when suddenly the figure was magically next to him. “What the-?!” He fell from the bench because of the shock. “How did you get there?!”

 

“Lying to your friend like that… Why don’t you just tell him that you don’t want to?” He extended his hand to Lu Han and helped him up.

 

“Yixing. You’re talking about Yixing?” He asked while dusting his clothes. “I think there’s no point in denying; You’ve seen through me. Are you some kind of mind-reader, Baekhyun?”

 

“No, it’s obvious just by looking at your face. It’s faint but to me it’s just so obvious.”

 

“Whatever.”

 

The two sat in silence and neither tried to looked at each other. Baekhyun’s words have gotten Lu Han thinking again. Was his façade really that see-through? This is definitely the first time that someone was able to look past his act. While wondering about Baekhyun’s strangeness, the little boy gave a long and loud sigh. The older man glanced at him.

 

“Aha! My nurse is a pretentious old man!” He exclaimed in a very uninterested voice. “I really hate people like that.”

 

“Sorry, you can’t do anything about that. I’ve been like this for—“

 

“It just makes me want to anger them sooooo much.” Baekhyun smirked at Lu Han and it sent chills down his spine.

 

 

He knew what was coming.

 

 

 

As Lu Han walked the lonely seventh floor of the annex—he didn’t even know that a hospital corridor could be this dreadful—he feared for the worst. He was 200 percent sure that Baekhyun has come up with new pranks. By this time, Lu Han was positive that his patient dislikes liars and especially people who deceives others. He walked slowly towards Room 701 very much unwillingly. ‘Is it gonna be water balloons or what? I don’t want to find out.’

When he reached the door, a sticky note was posted on to it.

 

I’m glad I gave you those flowers.

Do you know what they mean?

 

Lu Han was unsure of what the note was talking about until he remembered the flowers he received a few days ago. His eyes widened at the thought that struck his mind. ‘Oh hell no… Don’t tell me those flowers are some kind of explosives?’ He panicked and immediately opened the door to question the meaning of those flowers. But clearly, that would have to wait…

 

‘It’s raining poppers for pete’s sake!’

 

It always bewilders Lu Han on how this kid manages to set-up his tricks and where he gets it from. Because of the poppers that were still falling from who-knows-where, he kept jumping up and down to avoid the tiny crackers. Eventually, it came to an end and Baekhyun’s head appeared behind the door.

 

“Had enough?” he asked; knowing very well that it would tip his nurse off.

 

Lu Han scrunched up his face in response. “I have a very long patience if you haven’t noticed.”

 

“Oh really?” Baekhyun replied in a mocking tone that Lu Han really dislikes. “I’m sorry; I hadn’t noticed it at all.”

 

Soon afterwards, Baekhyun brought out a set of matchsticks and the older doesn’t want to wait to find out what’s it for.

 

 

“Hyung, do you like fireworks?”

<><><><><><><><><><><><> 

 

 

First of all! I am ashamed that I posted this after 2 months... I'm really sorry to everyone who waited long... >_<

But! Good thing is that I have already plotted it out until the ending... :D however! the problem now is my will to write. Whenever I read epic fanfics, I just... melt(?) and I don't wanna write anymore because they're so great. I'm really sorry again.

Ok, so that was chapter 3 and I know some of you, if not all, have questions regarding stuff because I have questions in my mind too ^^; But hopefully all the questions you have will be answered in future chapters. :D

Also, I just realized that my foreword is not a very exact summary or whatever of this story since that was only the tip of the iceberg. Many things will still happen and recalling the plot now... yes, the rest is gonna be crazy~ :">

As you may have noticed, I am not the best writer out there and I write really simply so I hope you could still enjoy the story. :D :D :D

 

Comments are love! <3 If you have the time please comment! May it be about BaekHan, the pacing of the story, suggestions, anything! They will be greatly appreciated! Thank you so much!

If you wanna say you hate me for updating so slow, you can. A slap from reality might be what I need ^^;

 

I also read about the BaekHan airport incident yesterday... T^T Just when we have an OTP moment, it just had to be about them falling :((

anyway, here's cute Baekhyun during the popper attack :">

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

and LASTLY! Thank you to everyone who subscribed: *big hugs* You make my day guys! XD

momoe97

sireanne

Apelsin

chilly

naruchannn

emzchan

ehehehe84

Noriko1

BerrieDust

MystMisuto

kpopgirl12

ParkJinAexmusic

Luhanniette

Nisha_gaem407

KooriKoFuyuki

emomarshmellow

elf232109

silveributterfly

Hana_Shouju