Calm Before the Storm

Reveal Yourself

Finally, Lu Han can enjoy the comfortable confines of his apartment once again. He had a long day today but he admits that he didn’t mind the craziness of it all. In fact, it seems like Lu Han is almost ready to accept his life like this. Playing weird games with Baekhyun and discovering more about his renewed friendship with Yixing.

 

Lu Han figures it would be hard to see Baekhyun go. All good things must come to an end and he thinks it’s only a matter of time before the playful patient gets discharged. Amidst the silence of his home, Lu Han’s long and heavy sigh sounded louder than usual. Just when I’m starting to enjoy my time with him, he said in his mind.

 

He hears the click of his door and his alertness shoots up. His mind panics as he tries to remember whether he forgot to close the door or not. Tiptoeing quietly in the dark (as Lu Han still has not opened any lights) towards the kitchen just beside the end of the fairly long hallway to the entrance, Lu Han calms himself and prepares for the worse. Call 911, knock the intruder unconscious, tie him up while waiting for them and then let them handle the rest… but Lu Han is looking at his smartphone which is glaringly visible from the hallway.

 

Damn.

 

Okay, Plan B. Scream?

 

He hears the footsteps getting closer as well as the rustling of what sounds like plastic. He waits no further and swiftly traps the intruder (which was surprisingly petite) in a headlock. “Who are you and what do you want?!” Lu Han yells without hesitation.

 

“L-lu… Lu-” The intruder fails to speak and his attempts at breaking free is so weak that Lu Han’s manly ego instantly skyrockets. He could hear the weakling cough and since he suddenly feels confident, he decides to drag the body to his room and look for anything to tie him up with.

 

By now, he could hear faint sobbing as he also noticed that the person is no longer resisting. He momentarily loosened the force of his headlock and a desperate and frightened scream immediately followed.

 

“Lu Han hyung it’s me!”

 

Lu Han quickly realized who it was and simultaneously let go of his captive. The coughing and crying intensified as he ran for the light switch in his bedroom.

 

He is beyond shocked at what he saw.

 

It was Baekhyun, hunched up on the floor as he half coughed and half breathed as much air as he could.

 

“Baekhyun, I’m so sorry!” Lu Han desperately told the innocent victim who was obviously on the verge of having an asthma attack. “Exhale as deep as you can. Relax. Come on, you can do it…”

 

Fortunately, Baekhyun finally calmed down after a few breathing sessions and then clutched his nurse’s sleeves. He was still panting quite a bit but with one big gulp of air, “Why the heck did you do that, hyung?! Were you trying to kill me?!”

 

“I didn’t know! I thought you were a thief or something!” Lu Han screamed right back.

 

“Do I look like a thief to you?! Do I seriously look like a thief to you?! Which part of me looks like a thief to you?!”

 

“The lights were off, ! How was I supposed to know?!”

 

“Then, maybe you should’ve locked the door stupid! I thought you knew I was here so you didn’t close it. ”

 

“I forgot okay!”

 

“I hate you! You almost killed me!”

 

The two men in the room are having a pouting stand-off but the first one to surrender is Lu Han because of the guilt that he felt especially since he is supposed to be a nurse; a nurse that vowed to help the lives of people not take them even though it was for self defense.

 

The nurse started again in a much calmer and softer voice. “I’m sorry.”

 

And with that, Baekhyun’s rage unexpectedly died down. He, too, felt sorry for yelling at Lu Han when it was probably his fault anyway. He might have really scared Lu Han back there and he was just trying to protect himself.

 

Baekhyun sighs. “I’m sorry too. I didn’t mean to scare you.”

 

This moment is yet another remarkable event for these two’s history book. In comparison to Lu Han and Baekhyun’s relationship back when they first met, there is a big improvement. Lu Han can’t believe that the two of them were able to reconcile in less than two minutes and Baekhyun is also surprised that he managed to blurt out an apology.

 

After this miraculous and noteworthy  moment, Lu Han helped Baekhyun to settle in his living room while he cleans the little mess they did during the struggle. He naturally thought of cooking dinner for both of them since he hasn’t eaten yet and that it might as well be a way to make up to him. He starts to wonder what kind of food Baekhyun likes. He hasn’t asked for anything specific in the hospital if he remembers correctly and that he just eats what he gives him such as a tenderloin steak with mashed potato or the local Chinese cuisine in their menu.

 

Lu Han swiftly scans the available ingredients in his refrigerator and pantry.

 

Pasta? Seafood? Or what if something a little bit healthy?

 

Does Baekhyun like seafood?

 

Or maybe something more Korean like bulgogi?

 

Why don’t I just ask him?

 

Lu Han contemplates a little more in the kitchen.

 

Meanwhile, Baekhyun is sitting comfortably in Lu Han’s ultra soft sofa that it feels like it is slowly swallowing him. Nevertheless he decides to pass time by observing the older male’s apartment: Clean and organized. Not much stuff. Too much white. Except… that black stuff on the wall above that particular table. Like the residue from a mini explosion.

 

Hm.

 

OH.

 

Baekhyun remembers now. Oops.

 

“Baekhyun, I think I’m going crazy here. What do you want?” Lu Han finally gives in and asks.

 

The younger male did not get his question and stared wide-eyed at him instead. If the phrase ‘deer  caught in headlights’ had a visual representation, it would be Baekhyun right now together with his nail biting habit. It couldn’t appear more cute to Lu Han and he wanted to break into a smile but moving on, he thought, dinner isn’t going to cook itself.

 

“I mean, for dinner.”

 

About three seconds passed before Baekhyun processed what Lu Han said but in the end, he refused. “I’m good. You gave me dinner back at the hospital, remember?”

 

“Those were hospital crap. I’m sure you want some real food.”

 

Lu Han isn’t sure how to read Baekhyun’s facial expression but it feels warm and kind. Though it only lasted for a fleeting moment. “I’m not like some of those rich people who only eat ‘high grade authentic steak’ or ‘expensive truffles’ you know. I can eat normal people food, even hospital crap. And FYI, they’re kinda decent… The steaks are nice and the sauces are also--” He stated while doing a quotation gesture with his pointing and middle fingers.

 

“So if I put milk chocolate in a miso soup with wasabi and lobsters… you’d eat it?”

 

It’s a trick! Baekhyun squints his eyes and stares animatedly at Lu Han. “You’re testing me aren’t you? What if I say yes? Do you even have those ingredients? I bet you don’t.”

 

The playful half-smile half-smirk finally graced Lu Han’s lips as he enjoys the conversation between the two of them. “What if I said I did?”

 

“No ?”

 

Lu Han raises a whole piece of red lobster and some Cadburys in the air complete with a smug look and victory metaphorically written on his face. “It’s your call.”

 

It was amazing that Lu Han really had all those ingredients like some magical show or something where you pull a rabbit out of a hat. Baekhyun wanted more than anything to ask him where he got those and why he has them in the first place. But he just expressed what he feels for this whole situation and laughed his heart out.

 

It was random and it wasn’t even funny by definition but Baekhyun couldn’t stop laughing. Soon enough, Lu Han was joining him and all is well even when Baekhyun bravely accepts his nurse’s food challenge.

 

 

 

 

After he was able to convince Baekhyun to just sit calmly at the side since he just created more mess than actually help, the younger started to babble about the plastic bag he brought.

 

“Oh, and the reason I’m really here is because I wanted to give you the Polaroid pictures we took with Yixing hyung.”

 

Lu Han focused on the pot he’s stirring but he failed to hide the excitement in his voice despite wanting to sound indifferent. “Oh really? But I don’t want it though.”

 

“Oh come on, I know you want it.” Baekhyun sang the sentence.

 

“I’ll take mine and Yixing’s picture. You can just throw yours, I don’t want it.” Lu Han was obviously lying but there was no way he’s just going to ask Baekhyun to have it. It’s not cool and manly. Besides, his Baekhyun’s trickster nature will definitely pick up that he does want it.

 

His patient brought the picture closer to his face and started fanning him. It was the picture with the both of them. “Hmm. Are you sure? Well, suit yourself.”

 

No, Lu Han’s pride won’t let him so he just smirks to mask his desire for that picture.

 

He ignores Baekhyun for a while to tend to the side dish he was cooking at one side. He reckons that maybe 10 or 15 minutes more and they’ll be ready to eat this one heck of a meal he came up with.

 

When he turned around, he saw Baekhyun adding salt to his miso soup pot. “Yah Yah yah! Get away from my miso! Shoo!”

 

“But it tastes so bland!”

 

“Shush! Go away! I’ll call you when I’m done.”

 

Baekhyun puppy pouted and resorted to watching Chinese variety shows on Lu Han’s tv.

 

 

 

 

Moving on from the hype of their surprisingly not-vomit-inducing food challenge, the apartment calmed down and it was quiet once again.

 

The day just felt like it was never going to end especially since Lu Han has been enjoying himself with his highly energetic and unpredictable patient. It was half past eleven and he’s just finished washing all the dishes including all the bowls and pans Baekhyun decided to play with even though they weren’t even necessary for anything.

 

More and more, everyday has been increasingly memorable and exciting for Lu Han. He ponders for a while what he would be doing right now if Baekhyun hadn’t been his patient.

 

Words such as simple, peaceful, and normal came to his mind. He admits those are a really tempting set of circumstances for a person’s life to be in but he also wouldn’t want all his interesting days with Baekhyun to go either.

 

Lu Han is too prideful to say something so cheesy like “Baekhyun  changed my life” but at the very least he wants to acknowledge that he definitely made an impact.

 

Lu Han’s phone starts ringing and it startled him for a moment. The caller’s Yixing.

 

“Lu Han! Baekhyun’s missing! You saw him last didn’t you?!”

 

He peaks over his shoulders to sleeping figure on his sofa before responding. “Well, sure as hell I’m looking at him right now.”

 

“What? Baekhyunnie is at your apartment? Why is he--” Yixing abruptly stops and Lu Han bets he heard the other snicker on the other end.

 

“Tsk tsk. Lu Han that is so twisted. You’re in it so deep huh? Going as far as to kidnap my dear little cutie lamb Baekhyunnie. Hospital duty isn’t enough for you so you had to secretly bring him home? Is that it?”

 

“What the hell are you talking about? Did you just call Baekhyun YOUR dear little cutie lamb? Ew, you sound drunk, go home.” Lu Han was eager to end this phone call. “And for the record, he followed me home.”

 

“Really? So does that mean Baekhyunnie also has feelings for you? Oh man, I can’t believe--”

 

“La la la. Bye Yixing! It’s late so I’ll let him sleep here for the night. Don’t tell anyone or the chairman. I’ll strangle you if you do. Bye! Good night! Have nightmares! La la la.”

 

Lu Han tried to overpower Yixing’s ‘accusations’ and spoke as fast as he could before pressing the end button.

 

He turns to sit beside Baekhyun and launches a mental battle of whether he should just leave him as he is or whether he should let him sleep in his room. Would it be awkward if he joined him on the bed?

 

It’s king-sized anyway.

 

And the bed is softer than the sofa.

 

And he doesn’t want to sleep alone in the living room.

 

And he remembers that he hasn’t locked the door to his apartment.

 

And he thinks there’s nothing wrong with it.

 

No one will know. Except Yixing though.

 

It’s kind of cold tonight anyway.

 

Should he really?

 

But a patient in his nurse’s apartment.

 

It looks, sounds and feels wrong. Fine.

 

Lu Han sighs dejectedly. “Nevermind. It is kind of awkward and embarrassing. I’m a decent and honourable man. ”

 

He gently scoops Baekhyun princess style to transfer him to his room. It turns out that Baekhyun’s a light sleeper.

 

In an almost inaudible voice, he murmurs. “Joo…Joonmyunnie hyung?”

 

“What?”

 

The younger lazily rubs his eyes and instantly comes to a realization. “Oh. I mean Lu Han hyung. Where are we going?”

 

“I’ll let you sleep in my room tonight.” Lu Han dusts the little slip-up aside, not thinking much of it.

 

Baekhyun whimpers slightly, trying to fit more comfortably in Lu Han’s arms. “Thank you. I thought you were going to make me walk back to the hospital alone.”

 

He slightly chuckles. “You’re too expensive to be left alone and I at least know that it’s dangerous for you to be outside at this hour. I’ll wake you up early though, I need to get you back before--”

 

“Oh almost forgot.” Baekhyun butted in and Lu Han pauses while gently laying the other down on his bed.

 

 

“My personal bodyguard will come pick me up tomorrow.”

 

 

Lu Han freezes. He doesn’t speak immediately because he doesn’t know what to say. He wonders why Baekhyun suddenly said this now and what might be an appropriate response to this unexpected news. He thinks about how long Baekhyun have known about this; is it why they went to do all sorts of crazy things? Is it the real reason why he followed him to his apartment?

 

Because he knew he was going away?

 

Lu Han felt pissed all of a sudden. But he didn’t know if it was because of Baekhyun himself or the fact that he won’t be able to see him anymore. Even though he doesn’t believe in destinies or fates, he feels that they’re playing with him right now.

 

He just admitted that he likes Baekhyun’s company and that he wouldn’t mind spending a little bit more time with him but then this happens? He has finally had some peace of mind with the reality that his life will never be back to normal because of Baekhyun and that’s okay with him.

 

He feels a mix of frustration and sadness with this revelation that he still doesn’t know what to say.  

 

Baekhyun, on the other hand, appears to be the same. Like this whole going away thing isn’t bothering him. That, or he’s just really sleepy… but still!

 

Baekhyun giggles sleepily. “Were you that shocked? I thought you’d be more ecstatic than this.”

 

If it was before, yes. But Lu Han screams in his head that things have changed and he doesn’t feel that way anymore. With all the improvements in their ‘relationship’, Lu Han figured that Baekhyun would have caught with that. ‘Is he an airhead?!’

 

“Good night hyung. Now go away. I’ll see you tomorrow.”

 

Baekhyun turned to his side, thinking that the older male will just go away in his own accord but he didn’t expect to be roughly moved to the center of the bed as Lu Han lays down together with him.

 

“I’ll show you how ecstatic I am.” And with this, Lu Han trapped Baekhyun in a very tight back hug.

 

Confusion clouded Baekhyun’s sleepy state. “Hyung, wha- I can’t breathe. Let go.”

 

Lu Han loosened his hold just slightly and buried his head near the crook of Baekhyun’s neck. After that, he resolves to ignoring anything the other says and just freakin’ go to sleep. If this is the last day he will see Baekhyun, he doesn’t care if what he’s doing right now will be something he’ll regret tomorrow.

 

Though he highly doubts it.

 

The back part of his neck is really ticklish and Baekhyun couldn’t stand being angry for long. He was giggling albeit still trying to pry Lu Han’s firm arms around him.

 

“Eek! Hyung, go away!” Still laughing.

 

Lu Han intentionally exhales in the other’s neck and proceeds to bask in Baekhyun’s cute giggles and angry fits.

 

All of Lu Han’s worries about awkwardness and whatnot plunge into the water as soon as he realizes that everything Baekhyun will soon be gone from his life and be back to Korea and probably never return.

 

As they say, all good things must come to an end but he will most definitely make the most of it.

 

 

 

“I’ll just give Baekhyun a piece of my mind tomorrow.”

 

 

<><><><><><><><><><><><>

 

Hey all! Still alive!

Been a while since the last update again and I'm so sorry about that. I still appreciate all the comments and my subscribers (silent readers, you too!) and it really really makes me happy. I realized I haven't been commenting as often as I used to and I'll try to change that! 'cause it's so much fun to read your comments and talk with you guys a lil' more :">

So tell me what you think of the chapter and any other feedback :D

P.S. 

No, this fic is not near the end even though Baek said he's going to be discharged. 

P.P.S

I have no idea what a lobster in miso soup with milk chocolate and wasabi would taste like lol

 

Love y'all! <3

P.P.P.S

And Overdose comeback guys! kyaaa! xD