8.1: Approaching the Boiling Point Part 1

Reveal Yourself

 

Lu Han woke up with a headache.

 

In his spacious room, scattered beams were coming through tiny gaps in the blinds. Lu Han thinks he had a nightmare but on the other hand, it felt like a lovely dream he was hesitant to wake up from.

 

He can’t remember what it was and there was really no point in wracking his brain like this early in the morning. As he moved to the edge of his king-sized bed—skin shuddering from the sudden contact with the chilly air and feet touching the cold floor—he was struck with the memory of kissing a certain pair of lips.

 

Lu Han felt ridiculous. He was supposed to be professional yet here he is getting frozen in his tracks just because of a simple kiss or rather, a stiff artificial respiration. He dragged himself out of bed while willing his nerves to calm down and getting ready for another day at the hospital. Lu Han noted that he has a terrible headache today, which is rare since there is no certain patient within a kilometre-radius from him right now.

 

After going through his dull but peaceful daily morning routine, Lu Han is ready to face another day of even more headaches. He could feel his feet become heavier than lead and has actually thought of turning back to just stay in the comforts of his nice apartment.

 

Lu Han yells mentally before opening the door to Room 701. There, Baekhyun sits at the end of his bed while folding a green paper airplane. His cheeks are puffed out, looking impossibly cute despite the crease between his brows. Now that his opinions about Baekhyun had changed, Lu Han questions why he’s suddenly noticing the other’s natural cuteness. The younger looks away from his plane and instantly lights up at the sight of his favourite nurse. “Hyung!” Baekhyun runs to give Lu Han a quick hug.

 

The old Lu Han would have yelled at the younger boy’s blatant invasion of personal space but he is quite surprised once again that he didn’t. Lu Han could only think that this obvious behaviour change from Baekhyun is because of yesterday’s events.

 

“Yo! I’ve been making paper planes since morning. There’s this ordinary one, then this tiny stealthy one, then the moth style, all kinds of style!” Baekhyun, who appears to have travelled back in time to his childhood years, babbled nonstop as he drags Lu Han to the table and then urging him to make his own out of the scattered papers everywhere.

 

 He shushes Baekhyun for a while, asking where he got the papers from. “You didn’t steal these from the nurses’ station, did you?”

 

“Who do you think I am?” the other proudly waves his shiny black card at Lu Han. Baekhyun grinned widely. “I have my ways.”

“Oh yeah, I forgot.” Lu Han has lost count on the number of days of Baekhyun’s incredibly long hospitalization for someone with a not-so-serious case of asthma. Has it been two weeks already? Three? A month maybe? It seemed so long ago. And it seemed that he also forgot who he is and what he is capable of.

 

“Wait, you used a black card just for a few scraps of paper?” Lu Han asks, obeying the younger’s insistence on folding paper planes.

 

Baekhyun gives a slightly loud and dramatic laugh. “Ha! Ha! Ha! Of course not! Again, who do you think I am?”

 

Baekhyun claps his hand three times. “Come in!”

 

The door reveals Yixing carrying two medium-sized cartons. “Baekhyun-ah! I brought the stuff you ordered.”

 

“Thank you Yixing!”

 

Lu Han stared incredulously at Yixing who he hadn’t expected to go along with his patient’s crazy antics. The two cartons that arrived were brought next to Baekhyun and he looked like a child who just received his first Christmas gift ever. Well, Lu Han wouldn’t hold it against the younger this time since he knows exactly what it feels like to receive something after some intense online shopping.

 

As long as it’s not something that can send us all flying to the moon then Lu Han is okay with this.

 

Baekhyun easily ripped the adhesive from the box. “You won’t believe what they have on sale this month!”

 

The two nurses peeked at the box—Lu Han’s mouth dropped. It contained five tubes of what he assumes are fireworks, a mini grill, an iPhone 5C and a stack of assorted papers with different colours, sizes and thickness.

 

Lu Han can only leave his mouth agape and wonder what the heck his patient is going to do with all this. He sees Yixing with the same expression but thinks that at least he won’t deal with the mess later on. Or maybe he’ll just drag him into this, he doesn’t know. Speaking of knowing, he doesn’t even want to know what’s on the second box.

 

“Heard Apple had a new iPhone in the market. I wanted to try it out first then I’ll buy one for both of you next time if I like it!” Baekhyun exclaimed as he continued removing stuff after another. “Also, we can light some fireworks later tonight—I have small ones, but I also bought those big ones…”

 

“I’m not really sure if were allowed to have a fireworks party… We might want to ask the Chairman first, ne, Baekhyun?” Yixing suggested.

 

He swatted his hand in the air confidently. “Nah, don’t worry about it. It’s not like we’re gonna blow the whole hospital to the moon. You guys are so paranoid, learn to live a little!” Baekhyun replied with a laugh that seems to speak from experience.

 

Both Yixing and Lu Han glanced at each other and somehow communicated their thoughts to the other.

 

Actually, I feel like he is gonna blow the hospital up.

 

Let’s think positively here, maybe he’s just gonna blow a part of the hospital?

 

And that’s supposed to be better how? Anyway, be prepared to clean up the mess, Yixing-ah. I know where this is going.

 

Should I call the fire department just in case?

 

“He he he… and then I also bought a mini grill, we can grill order some meat and eat at the rooftop. And then that other box also has lots of stuff, there’s so many things we can do today… and then and then…” Baekhyun just went on and on and one about the stuff he just got.

 

Oh boy, here it comes; just another day in the life of Lu Han.

 

 

***

 

 

In the middle of the seemingly normal hospital lobby, staff members and visitors alike fill the place. There are a variety of people who are present—from kids to the elderly—all of them appear to be normal and should not be of interest to anyone. However, amongst the scenario stands a towering figure clad in a black suit, carefully observing every person and every detail while effortlessly blending in the environment.

 

A familiar red-head slowly approaches the said man. “They’ve started to move.”

 

The tall man squints his eyes. “I understand. What should we do now?”

 

“We can’t let them know that we’re aware of their plan.” The red-headed man passes a brochure and pulls out his phone in a continued attempt to look normal and avoid suspicion.

 

“You do know that we can’t afford to make a mistake or else… ” The man doesn’t dare to finish his sentence.

 

“Kris,” the other interrupts. “You also know full well that I won’t let anything happen to my brother, right?”

 

Kris doesn’t reply.

 

“Find a way to tell Yixing about this discreetly and…”

 

“He already knows, don’t worry. But how about the other one?” Kris informs.

 

“You mean Lu Han? It’s ok. I’m pretty sure he won’t let anything happen to Baek. Now, I expect you to make the necessary preparations Kris.”

 

Kris and the red-head shake hands naturally before going their separate ways and not leaving a single trace of their presence.

 

 

***

 

 

A little bit after lunch hours, Baekhyun, Lu Han and Yixing were still inside the cluttered Room 701 and still folding paper airplanes. Yixing, who was good at origami, even started making paper cranes, paper frogs and all sorts of paper animals.

 

“What’s the point of all this anyway?” Lu Han butts in as he finishes his 32nd airplane.

 

“Shhh. Just go along with me, I have a plan.” Baekhyun, who was already making his 70th airplane, told his nurse excitedly. “Oh, and Yixing hyung do you have some baskets? Or at least some containers where we can put all these?”

 

Yixing ponders for a moment. “We have a department who takes care of washing the bed sheets and those kinds of sorts. I’ll go ask them.”

 

“Thank you hyung!” Baekhyun’s eyes form a crescent shape as he thanked the older nurse.

 

The remaining people in the room are left in silence. Lu Han finds it strange that he doesn’t feel awkward or uncomfortable staying with Baekhyun even though outsiders would say otherwise. He somehow feels at peace. After contemplating for a while, he decides to take a peek at Baekhyun who turns out to be looking at him too.

 

“Ah, is there anything wrong Baek?”

 

In response, Baekhyun gives Lu Han a warm and genuine smile. “Nothing. I just remembered what Yixing hyung told me.”

 

“About what?”

 

“About your past and how you ended up being the way you were when we first met.”

 

Lu Han’s eyes widens in disbelief. “W-What?” He looks away, trying to hide his embarrassment from his patient.

 

“You’re the last person right now I’d want to tell my past to.”

 

Lu Han hears the younger’s soft laugh and he can’t explain why he suddenly feels ashamed in front of him. He tells himself that he didn’t care before so why now?

 

Am I becoming more conscious of him? Ugh, I don’t know…

 

“I’m glad I actually knew about it, you know? Now I know you’re not just some irritating two-faced person!”

 

Lu Han snaps from his thoughts and glares at the other. “I don’t where you’re going with this but if you’re insulting me, I—”

 

His sentence gets cut off. “I found out that hyung is really a person with a kind and caring heart. I’m glad I was able to know more about you… You were misunderstood in the past and I… I did too… I was wrong, I should have tried to understand you first. I’m sorry hyung.”

 

Lu Han didn’t know what to say since he got confused. At first, it began with something silly and then Baekhyun suddenly turns serious and all. He remains silent.

 

Despite being a loudmouth all if not most of the time, it surely took a lot from Baekhyun to say what he had said. He doesn’t know what to make out of Lu Han’s silence; Is he angry or what?

 

“There I said it, ok?!” Baekhyun buries his face in his palms. He acknowledges the fact that he and Lu Han are becoming closer due to recent events but hearing himself saying something like this out of the blue... It kinda feels weird. “Anyway, just forget about what I said… On the count of three, I’m gonna remove my hands from my face and let’s go back to folding papers, ok, hyung?”

 

1…

 

2…

 

“…”

 

From behind his hands, Baekhyun could feel Lu Han’s embrace. “Hyung? Why are you…”

 

“Just… just let me be for a while.”

 

And in this moment, a memory from yesterday flashes in his mind. Baekhyun’s lips…

 

Lu Han can’t explain why he’s so confused right now.

 

Knock knock.

 

“Baekhyun-ah, they lent me a basket! Um…”

 

For moments like this, the two people who are hugging usually separates in lightning speed but the opposite happens to Lu Han and he just froze in place.

 

“Ahaha. Hi Yixing hyung… This is um, just a friendly hug. Right, hyung? Ha ha.”

 

“Yeah, right. If you say so.” It was quite a sight to see the fair and innocent face of Yixing turn into a mischievous smirk; it feels as though a light bulb just flashed and he has some kind devious plan…

 

 

<><><><><><><><><><><><>

 

Yoo hoo I'm still alive! Though I'm sorry for not updating for the longest time TT___TT

 

This chapter really should've been longer but I didn't wanna keep this part locked up in my computer soooo........... here it is!! We are also finally nearing the end of the hospital arc and by end I mean, maybe 4 or 5 chapters more? Hehehe finally some change in the setting :)) Look forward to it~!

I really want to hear your thoughts and comments guys, it would be loved and appreciated. :D Thank you to all my subscribers and readers if you guys are still there

I'm not sure if this counts as a good news but I'm half way through chapter 9 but 8.2 is not....... ^^; I'll make it work guys and it's almost the holidays so I gotta think positively that I can at least finish the arc before 2014 kicks..... (I really really hope >_<)