Lu Han's Side

Reveal Yourself

< LuHan's past. Yey finally! >

 

---

 

Lu Han and Yixing ends up going to the basement parking of the hospital since it was deserted. Moreover, Yixing knows a blindspot where the CCTV won’t be able to catch them. This conversation isn’t exactly top secret classified but it just hit the nurse that maybe this would be a little confronting for Lu Han.

 

Throughout their walk towards this destination, Lu Han had calmed down and started to collect his thoughts. How should I start? How much should I tell him? His mind is plagued by questions that he couldn’t even begin to open his mouth.

 

Yixing sensed his hesitation and decided to be the first one to start. “Lu Han,” he began. “I completely understand if you don’t want to tell me anything but I would just like to say that I’m sorry.”

 

Lu Han shifted his gaze straight into Yixing’s eyes. The latter then continued, “Thinking about it, I was a really pathetic friend. I’m sorry, I only fully realized when your patient asked me. I have so many things I regret doing and things I wish I’ve done…”

 

And surprisingly, at his friend’s words, Lu Han was struck with guilt. He made an awful assumption about everyone in his life just because of his experiences as a child: Society is good only to those who are good.

 

Memories from the past came to Lu Han’s mind and he could still remember everything clearly. When he was young, he was known as the neighbourhood’s favourite. Everyone loved him and all the kids were his friend but his honesty got the better of him.

 

During a friend’s kiddie party, the birthday girl’s parents asked if Lu Han could give their daughter a peck on the cheeks. They thought they were cute together so they even requested him to do so in front of the guests.

 

At a young age of 6, it shouldn’t have been a big problem. Little kids do it all the time--an unintentional small kiss or peck here and there. Unfortunately, he didn’t. In front of everyone, he said that he didn’t want to kiss anyone who is sick and that it is disgusting.

 

It was a shocking statement for someone regarded as innocent and perfect. They managed to laugh it off but some of the local aunties already made a mental note of his ‘supposed’ foul mouth. Lu Han didn’t mean what he said in a bad way; blame it on his irresponsible choice of words! His parents told him that health is one of the most important things in this world and at the time, he was only thinking of that. He knew his friend had a cold so he refused.

 

Just not in the nicest means possible. And not in a way he really intended it to be.

 

Lu Han still couldn’t understand how unlucky he had been during his childhood but things went downhill from there. Every time he makes a straightforward comment, or when he fails a test, or even when he achieves something, the other kids’ parents translate this to being rude, rebellious or cocky.

 

Of course, he didn’t have the courage to speak for himself so he ignored their assumptions and continued to do his best in life. Deep inside he knew he was doing nothing wrong so everything should turn out well.

 

When he entered 3rd grade, though, the events in his life didn’t get any better. He hit someone on the head with a trophy because he strongly believed he didn’t deserve it. It was for his friend who was also in the math competition but didn’t have the courage to expose the other’s cheating.

 

Lu Han felt it wasn’t right for the first placer to brag about his trophy through cheats (and not to mention the fact that this person is a big bully as well) when he knew his friend studied day and night for it. During this time, Lu Han had found his voice and was braver so he did what he did because he thought it was right.

 

He was put in detention and most of his friends turned their backs on him. He heard reasons like he suddenly became violent and different. What hurt Lu Han the most was his ‘friends’ didn’t even ask for the truth.

 

The incident spread like wildfire and his reputation continued to worsen. In a state of confusion and indifference, Lu Han didn’t know what came to him but he added even more oil to the fire. He dyed his hair outrageous colors and even changed his fashion. He also acted a bit different intentionally.

 

Obviously, the people around him couldn’t accept him and ultimately, he convinced his parents to move to a different neighbourhood and school in Beijing.

 

Lu Han wanted to express himself without being misunderstood and when he finally had the chance to start fresh, he could only think of one solution.

 

He made a new identity for himself; the one where people will accept you because you’re perfect and good. It proved really effective for the remainder of his high school and college life.

 

By the time he met Yixing and everybody else for that matter, Lu Han was attentive to everything. He always made sure to act nice, to be nice and perfect. He feared that if he didn’t, everyone will turn their backs on him once again. No matter how annoying they are or how much he wanted to get out of the situation, he endured.

 

And because of this, Lu Han failed to see who Yixing truly was. He was too busy keeping his emotions in check and focusing on the bad sides of people that Lu Han didn’t truly get to know his best friend.

 

Maybe it was time for this game of pretend to be over. Maybe if he just gave this another chance, maybe life would turn out to be finally a bit better.

 

And so he told Yixing everything.

 

***

 

Baekhyun ran as fast as he could back to his room but it also worsened his difficulty in breathing. He slammed the door open, a tad harder than usual. He needs to find his inhaler quickly before something happens.

 

Where?! Where did hyung put it?

 

He’s positive that the object is on top of his side table but it’s not there anymore. He dragged himself while panting heavily to the bathroom and searched the mirror cabinet. No luck.

 

Baekhyun clutched his chest as he shut his eyes tight. He leaned on the bathroom wall for support but it isn’t helpful in easing the pain. The inhaler has got to be somewhere in this room but being unable to breathe properly is hindering him from searching.

 

‘The intercom!’ A burst of hope came to Baekhyun when he thought of his last resort.

 

He took short and wobbly steps to the small device beside his bed but before he could press it, Baekhyun’s consciousness slipped away from him and he fell on the floor.

 

Baekhyun could only pray that he won’t die today.

 

***

 

“What?!” Yixing exclaimed. “I can’t believe you smacked someone in the head. I don’t wanna be friends with you anymore.” Despite the words, one could easily that it was a joke.

 

Lu Han frowned at the other nurse. “Hey, stop joking around…”

 

“I know, I know.” Yixing gave Lu Han a warm smile. “I should’ve asked you about this earlier in our friendship so then maybe you wouldn’t be so moody-moody.”

 

For more than one reason, Lu Han feels that a huge load has finally been lifted from his shoulders. Having told Yixing his past issues and being told of the other’s feelings, he thinks they’re closer to one another now.

 

“But really, I’m sorry for those times when we had our projects… It’s because you seemed really confident and looked like you didn’t needed help. I ended up making you do all those stuff. I’m really sorry, Lu Han!”

 

Yixing proceeded to give Lu Han a hug, which is then happily returned. The younger nurse then broke the hug to stare at Lu Han intently. “And whoever said I only befriended you just to hook up with girls is totally bull.”

 

Lu Han lightly laughed and gave him a nod. After exchanging their inner thoughts and feelings, they agreed that they’ll be more open with each other. And especially Lu Han, who needs to be more open to everyone from now on.

 

“I’ll try.”

 

They patted each other’s back and Lu Han suddenly realized something. “Baekhyun!”

 

He remembered that Baekhyun still hasn’t taken his medicine yet. “I gotta go. See you in a while, Yixing-ah!”

 

He ran back to the annex and up to the seventh floor. Lu Han is hoping that Baekhyun returned to his room because it’s going to be a big pain in the if he isn’t. Thanks to him, though, the burden in his past has somehow been lessened.

 

‘I really owe you this time…’

 

As he turned the corner, he saw the door of Room 701 open. He was sure he closed it after he and Yixing went out. ‘Does that mean he’s back?’

 

His eyes widened at what he saw when he peeked inside. “Baekhyun!”

 

Baekhyun is lying on the ground in a fetus-like position. Lu Han immediately ran to his side and checked the pulse from his wrist.

 

“Baekhyun! Hey! What are you doing? Get up!” His voice cracked from panicking. Lu Han mentally cursed and yelled at the unconscious boy. Being Baekhyun’s nurse for quite a while, it is easy to know that he likes pranks and jokes but this one, he can’t fake.

 

He hurriedly fixed Baekhyun’s position then placed a hand on the patient’s forehead and lifted his chin using two fingers. He put his ear near the younger’s nose while monitoring the rise and fall of his chest to check if he’s breathing.

 

Less than 10 seconds have passed and Lu Han reacted quickly to the situation.

 

He put his lips on Baekhyun’s soft ones and started giving him artificial respiration.

 

‘Baek, Wake up!’

 

<><><><><><><><><><><><>

 

Hey guys! Yay update! :D I have mixed emotions about this chapter because I think I didn't do a pretty good job but at the same time I'm happy with it 'cause LuHan's past is the thing I'm most worried about writing. And yeah, here it is~~! As you can tell (maybe), it was kinda rushed? Well, it's because I'm not really a fan of super long flashbacks so I was really torn with writing it the way I really intended it to be and making it a bit short. Gaaaaah, I don't knooow~ But hehe, no need to stress myself, I've got lots of time to explore that in future chappie anyway xD

 

Also, I really wanna say thank you to everyone who's been reading and commenting all this time. I haven't been replying to each one of you but I really really really appreciate it. THANK YOU~! And the answer to the questions you've been asking will be revealed soon~ :"> ( but I'm really sorry for the slow updates, gosh kill me now~ T^T)

 

THANK YOU THANK YOU! Hope you enjoyed the chapter xD and don't forget to share your thoughts below~! <3