The Beginning of Lu Han's Misery

Reveal Yourself

 

“Hey Lu! Have you heard?” A co-worker had asked.

 

“About what?” He replied as he turned to face the owner of the voice.

 

“You’re being re-assigned to a new patient today!” The man was more excited than Lu Han.

 

“Oh.” Was his simple reply. “And I should be happy with that… why?”

 

“You lucky dude! He’s the son of a Korean billionaire!” He took Lu Han by the shoulder. “Do you know how much they’ll pay you just for taking care of the boy?”

 

Lu Han shrugged. In his mind, he couldn’t care less who he babysits as long as he gets paid. “My salary is already enough. If you want to exchange positions, just tell the chairman.” He smiled before turning around. He remembered that he still has a patient that needs to take his daily medication.

 

“Hmp. Way ahead of you! I already asked but it turns out the client specifically wants you.” The nurse half-shouted to him.

 

Everyone seems to, he thought to himself before entering the room on his right.

 

The moment he entered the room, he was surprised. Another nurse was already tucking his patient to bed and was preparing to leave the room. He found the sight to be so sudden that he didn’t notice the other figure in the room. “Chairman?!”

 

The old man gave Lu Han a soft smile. “I think you already know why I’m here.”

 

Lu Han nodded hesitantly.

 

And without anything else, the chairman went to the door and the pretty boy supposed that he needed to follow him. He couldn’t put his finger on it but he feels that something’s amiss.

 

Being assigned to new patients are pretty normal for a nurse yet there’s this feeling he can’t explain. Lu Han put his hand on his chest, believing he’s just nervous. He mentally slapped himself after he realized that he did have past experiences with all kinds of rich people. I’m sure this time wouldn’t be any different, he reassured.

 

They walked through the corridors consequently leading to the hospital’s annex. It was just recently finished and its particular function was to house those who are willing to pay for the extra privacy. The V.I.P.s to be exact.

 

When they reached inside the building, Lu Han couldn’t keep his mouth from gaping. Just by looking at the reception, it already had a different feel from the main building. It was entirely made from marble and there is decent amount of gold used as moldings. Various paintings hung on the wall as well as glass decorations. The ceiling was high and the enormous chandelier in the middle definitely stood out the most.

 

The chairman briefly chatted with the lady who Lu Han assumed is the head nurse. “How is Mr. Byun?”

 

“He’s in his room, sir. His father left a while ago through the helicopter. Also, everything has been arranged for Mr. Lu. His only job from now on is to care for the boy.” The head nurse bowed before gesturing to the two males to follow her.

 

Hmp. Rich bastards. I’m a nurse not a personal caregiver!

 

They then took the elevator to the 7th floor and headed to Room 701.

 

“Mr. Lu, here’s the information about the patient.”  The lady nurse handed out a clip board to him. The 22-year-old nurse took it and examined it.

 

“Byun Baekhyun. 20 years old.” Lu Han read out aloud.

 

He flipped a page. “Asthma?”

 

“Yes, Mr. Byun had childhood asthma but it was only until recently that it was triggered again.” The lady nurse turned to reply to him. “His father stated that he rarely gets sick and has also been taking up Hapkido so he’s asthma attack was totally a shock to him.”

 

Lu Han took note of what the older nurse said. His expression changed to a sad one, “It must have been; seeing his healthy son become that way must have been scary.”

 

“Oh! Lu Han, I almost forgot. Mr. Byun has zero knowledge of Mandarin so always remember to speak in Korean.” The chairman ordered and Lu Han made sure to keep it in mind.

 

They stop in front of the designated room but as they opened the door, they were surprised to see it empty. The bed being in disarray and a still-hot cup of coffee on the table suggests that someone has been there. Lu Han mentally sighed. Oh please no, please don’t let my new assignment be a pain in the , he begged inside his mind.

 

The head nurse stumbled out of the room to check if they were in the right one. “Room 701.”

 

The room was pretty big so Lu Han guessed he could be in the restroom. But after opening it, nothing’s there.

 

“Maybe he’s on the rooftop. Mr. Lu, could you please check?” The chairman spoke and Lu Han nodded.

 

“I’ll take care of this, sir.  I’ll him down.” He flashed his most dazzling smile. Even at the chairman’s age, he was still captivated by the younger male’s expression. “Then, I’ll leave it to you. I know our best nurse can handle this.” Lu Han was caught off-guard when the chairman cupped his face and he forced a laugh. Ew, this old geezer is still cheesy. Ugh.

 

Afterwards, he made his way to the rooftop and expected to find at least a living person but still no sign of it.

 

“Incoming!!!”

 

Lu Han quickly spun to the direction of the voice but only to be met with a large water balloon directly on his face. “And it’s a hit! Critical hit!” The voice sounded so annoying to his ears and he couldn’t stop himself from gritting his teeth.

 

“Finally! I’ve been waiting for almost an hour for someone to come.” The culprit went out of its hiding place at last. He was behind the water tank, holding more water balloons. “Mister! Come play with me!”

 

A vein popped on Lu Han’s forehead. Stay calm, stay calm. He reminded himself. “You must be Baekhyun.” He said with a smile.

 

“Think fast!” The smaller boy threw another one at Lu Han but his reflexes failed him and it landed on his chest. “Yes, I am!”

 

“Okay. By the way, I’m Lu- Wait! Put that down.” Lu Han pleaded as the younger boy reached for another balloon. His expression rapidly became dejected.

 

“I’ll be your nurse starting today. My name is Lu Han. Come on, let’s go back to your roo-- what are you doing?!” Baekhyun lay on the floor and was starting to doze off. This guy is being stubborn and Lu Han was considering the option of dragging him back. He knelt beside Baekhyun and nudged him slightly. “You’re gonna get sick if you continue sleeping there.”

 

Baekhyun didn’t reply. The only sound was his breathing. Lu Han became anxious and shook him harder. “I’m already sick…”

 

The tone of Baekhyun’s voice surprised Lu Han. It sounded so serious that it felt like it came from someone who just received news about a deadly disease. “But…”

 

“But…” Lu Han repeated.

 

Baekhyun rose from his position and stared deep into the older boy’s eyes. “Nobody can stop me from doing this.”

 

What?

 

Apparently, Lu Han’s reflexes failed him yet again as he was unable to prevent Baekhyun from putting a small rat inside his uniform. “Ack! What the--”

 

Baekhyun was laughing so much to the point of tears. He held his stomach as he rolled back and forth watching his nurse flail around.

 

That boy! That son of a—ugh! Can’t I push him off the building now?

 

“I’m going ahead of you, nurse Lu… what was it again?” Baekhyun pondered, slowly heading towards the door. “Lu… Ah! It’s Lu San! I didn’t know you were Japanese.” He gave off a laugh and went down the stairs.

 

“What?!” Lu Han exclaimed as the rat finally got out of his shirt. “Since when did I become Japanese? The dude’s crazy!”

 

Before going to Baekhyun’s room, Lu Han stopped by his locker for some spare uniform. It irritated him that he had to go back to the main building while drenched with water. Concerned co-workers wanted to attend to him but he simply refused and said that he can take care of it. Honestly speaking though, he didn’t think there would actually come a time where he would use his spare uniform. After changing in the empty room, he whispered to himself. “I have to be careful from now on. One wrong move and I might accidentally snap. My image is in jeopardy!”

 

With the thought lingering in his mind, he went back to the billionaire’s son’s room. As he approached his destination, he could hear the sound coming from the television along with Baekhyun’s laugh. He opened the door to find out that he was watching Spongebob Squarepants… in Chinese. He’s definitely got a screw loose. Lu Han concluded.

 

Baekhyun noticed the other’s presence and turned to face him. “Hey! I thought you’d never come back!” He quickly sat up from his bed. “You know what? I’ve thought about it a while ago and I think you’re not Japanese.”

 

Lu Han mentally rolled his eyes.

 

“And I’m sorry I got your name wrong.”

 

“It’s oka--”

 

“Right, Lu Tan?” Baekhyun proudly called out as he reached out for a handshake.

 

The older sighed. “You got it wro--”

 

“Correct! Yes, thank you.”

 

It’s Lu Han! How hard is it to pronounce Lu HAN?!, He screamed inside his head.

 

“I see you already changed your clothes. Aren’t you angry about it?” Baekhyun asked.

 

“Hm? About my clothes? No, not really.” Oh, you bet I’m angry! I’m furious!

 

“Really? Wow, you’re the first one to ever say that.” Baekhyun crossed his arms. “People always tend to get angry around me.”

 

He stood from the bed to grab a drink from the refrigerator at the corner of the room. “When I was a kid, everyone I knew always smiled in front of me. They would always obey me and try to get in my favor.”

 

“I realized soon enough that they were all just a bunch of pretenders.”

 

Lu Han grabbed a chair near the bed and sat on it. “And?”

 

Baekhyun smirked. “You’re also like them.”

 

Deep inside, Lu Han was taken aback that this kid was able to notice his façade but he tried his best not to show.

 

 

 

“I’ll reveal who you really are soon.”

 

<><><><><><><><><><><><>

 

It's been a while since I last wrote a fanfiction so I'm not sure how this one turned out.

This idea sprouted one night with a question, "What if Lu Han isn't the innocent and perfect boy we all thought?" And since Bacon is one of my bias, I ran some experiments in my mind and I think BaekHan had good chemistry. Heck, everyone in EXO does. So I really wanted to try this out!

So what do you think of this guys? :D

The fandom needs more BaekHan! XD I'm still a HunHan shipper btw!