Chapter Five

Right Beside You

 

 

After studying for more than 4 hours, Jonghyun, Jessica and Taeyeon decided to go home.

 

"Do you like Taeyeon?" Sunny suddenly asked Onew when everyone has left the house, while drinking her glass of water.

 

Onew paused for a while at Sunny's sudden question.

 

"Yeah." Onew nodded.

 

"Have you asked her out yet?" She continued to ask him.

 

Onew just shook his head.

 

"What?! You should've asked her out already." Sunny advised him.

 

"But don't you think it's too fast, I don't want to make her think that I'm weird." Onew said replied with a worried expression.

 

"Onew, there is a lot male students that wanted to ask her and if you take too long, you might lose her to someone else." Sunny said while rubbing her temples concerning about Onew.

 

Onew thought about what Sunny just said for a while and he decided to find Taeyeon, hoping that she hadn't gone home yet. Onew ran out of house to look for Taeyeon.

 

Sunny just sat on her seat and watched Onew running out of the house with a sad expression. She took a big gulp of water from her glass and whispered to herself, "Why does my chest hurt so much today?"

 

***

 

Onew ran out to stop Taeyeon when she was about to board the bus, "Taeyeon! Wait up!"

 

"Yes, Onew?" Taeyeon turned around and saw Onew running toward her.

 

"I just want to..." Onew tried to finish his question but he was too nervous and exhausted from the running. Then he suddenly remembered Jonghyun's bet with Jessica, "... Make a bet with you."

 

"Huh? A bet?" Taeyeon was little bit confuse.

 

"Just like the bet between Jonghyun and Jessica and if I beat you in the Maths test, would like to go out with me" Onew said confidently.

 

There was an awkward silence between the two.

 

"Okay, but let's change the bet a bit," Taeyeon smiled, which made Onew blushed and confused at the same time, "I'll go out with you if we get the same result for the Maths test."

 

Taeyeon raised her hand up and waited for Onew to shake her hand. Onew looked at her hand and he agreed to the bet.

 

"Okay." Onew made a huge smile, which caused Taeyeon to giggle and blush.

 

Taeyeon boarded the bus and saw Onew waving goodbye to her. She smiled at him and waved back at the childish boy and the bus drove off. Onew continued to wave at the bus until it was out of his sight and he decided to walk home.

 

***

 

Onew finally arrived back and every part of his body was aching. "I really need to exercise more." Onew sighed and massaged his arms. He walked into the house and saw Sunny sitting on couch watching a rerun of Rooftop Prince's previous episode.

 

"Onew, you're home. Can you fill up my glass with water?" Sunny raised up her hand holding the empty glass, while munching on a cookie.

 

"Thanks for the advice before." Onew smiled and grabbed the glass from Sunny's hand. He went to kitchen to fill it up and went back to the couch handing the glass of water to her.

 

After a long day, Onew decided to go to bed early but then Sunny asked, "Come sit down and watch with me. It's boring watching alone."

 

"You know that I don't like watching drama." Onew refused to watch and continued walking to his room.

 

Sunny turned around and pouted, "Didn't I help you before."

 

Onew remembered what Sunny did for him before and decided to watch the drama with her. Onew walked toward the couch and sat next to her.

 

"What did she say after you asked her out?" Sunny suddenly asked.

 

Onew paused a moment before he answered, "I didn't asked her out properly because I was too nervous at that moment. Instead, I made a bet with her."

 

"A bet? What kind of bet." Sunny asked again curious at the bet between him and Taeyeon.

 

"You know, the bet, like the one between Jessica and Jonghyun. But only if we both receive the same results on the Maths test" Onew explained to his sister.

 

"The same results?! You know how hard it to get the same results?" Sunny slapped Onew's shoulder, "You should've asked her out straight away."

 

"Don't worry Sunny, I'm confident that we'll get the same results." Onew smiled confidently while Sunny looked at Onew in disgust.

 

The two siblings ended the conversation and returned watching the drama.

 

"So what is this drama about?" Onew asked after not understanding what he watched for last 30 minutes.

 

Onew waited for an answer but there was no reply from Sunny. Then he suddenly felt something heavy landed on his shoulder. Onew turned around and saw Sunny had fallen asleep on his shoulder. Onew thought about carrying her to her room but decided not to, remembering how heavy she was when he was carrying her on their first day back to school.

 

'She is quite cute when she’s asleep.' Onew thought while looking at Sunny sleeping.

 

Onew shook his head viciously after realising what he just thought. "What are you thinking Onew. She is your sister." He whispered to himself.

 

He took another look Sunny and yawned, "I might as well take a nap too." Onew laid his head onto Sunny's head and he relaxed himself, in a few minutes, Onew fell to sleep too.