The Last Night

Something About You

 

Here it is, dear loyal readers. The Final Chapter (for Part 1 that is). I'd like to thank you to everyone who has been following patiently for the rest of the events in this story to unfold. I'm such a tease, aren't I? okay, less talk from me. Enjoy the goodness that is KaiYul.

 

PLEASE COMMENT.

 

 

          The night became exceptionally quiet. Byun Baek Hyun stared at his two brothers, trying so hard to maintain his composure despite having overheard their conversation. He was not one to eavesdrop but somehow he was glad that he did. Both Chanyeol and Kai stared back at him, looking rather frightened because of the intrusion. Baekhyun was never one to get mad so easily but sensing his expression now, even Baekhyun himself felt like this was completely new and he was not entirely sure how to handle this.

 

"Hyung..." Kai started, scratching the back of his head.

 

"No wait, wait. When you say that you gave up on Yuri sunbae to Kkamjong, what exactly do you mean?" Baekhyun diverted his eyes to Chanyeol who has been sitting so silently in his spot acting as if this never involved him. 

 

             Looking up, Chanyeol raised his eyebrows and he too, was at the loss of words. Slowly, Chanyeol turned his attention to Kai and their eyes met. They were thinking of the same thing as well. Chanyeol nodded slowly, agreeing with Kai and both of them turned towards their hyung.

 

"Hyung... why are you mad though?" Kai asked, raising his eyebrows and Chanyeol was already eyeing Baekhyun, trying to read his expression. Silently Chanyeol had hoped that Baekhyun was being humorous like he used to be whenever they bring up the topic girls into their conversations.

 

"What?" Baekhyun was caught off guard and he blinked about three times before adding, "Why?? You know you're not supposed to develop such feelings for our sunbaes! I know you're expecting me to be mad cause I'm one of SNSD's hopeless fanboys and you openly hanging out with one of them might aggravate my envy - although now that I've mentioned it, it's making me even more pissed but really, that's not the point right now." He explained fully, completely causing the other two members to remain silent.

 

"I'm sorry to have overheard this but what I could decipher from that exchange is that Chanyeol gave up Yuri sunbae for Kkamjong here, meaning to say that Kai has a better chance at scoring? or.. I'm assuming that you actually have scored. Am I right?" Baekhyun added and the other two members winced at how amazingly quick Baekhyun had analysed the complicated situation. They have actually forgotten how smart Baekhyun was. 

 

           There was a knock on the door and the three of them diverted their attention to the figure approaching. For some reasons, the three of them already in the room were not surprised to find Suho wanting to participate in the much heated conversation. The look on Suho's face was not of confusion or anger, the leader was exceptionally calm and only then Kai had confirmed his assumptions just how much the leader already knew regarding this matter. He walked into the room and the first one he fixated on was Kai, making Kai so uncomfortable causing him to look down on his lap. The leader continued to survey the familiar faces until his eyes fell upon Baekhyun's.

 

"Baekhyun-ssi. Can you leave the three of us alone?" Suho asked politely, searching Baekhyun's face for any sign of protest. Hesitating, Baekhyun slowly turned the opposite way and slowly began to walk.

 

"By the way, hyung." Baekhyun started while staring at Suho. "I won't say a word to the other two downstairs. I know what this was about though and hopefully, you'll help them figure their way out of this and oh for the record," Baekhyun stared at both Chanyeol and Kai, "I really was just being pissed cause both of you got to be involved with Yuri sunbae instead of me." Baekhyun winked while patting Suho's shoulder. With that, he giddily proceeded downstairs carrying his frame, looking as content as ever. 

 

              Both Chanyeol and Kai were quite confused at this point but knowing Baekhyun, they were somehow expecting that sort of prank from him although not necessarily regarding a sensitive issue such as this one. Sensing their confusion, Suho sighed heavily awakening them from their temporary trance. Suho took a seat beside Kai and brought his right arm around Kai's shoulder, a gesture to indicate his protectiveness. Chanyeol observed and he suddenly realised where he was and the purpose of him being there. Why did they let themselves get into such a messy situation anyway?

 

"You see." Suho began, "Baekhyun knew that you two had your minds somewhere else and we talked about it beforehand since he's the second oldest around. He was up here to try to talk both of you out of it and the intrusion just now? That was just him being dramatic and personally I think he really was mad at you two for being smitten with one of his favourite sunbaes. Yes, I'm permitting both of you to kick his after this but before that let's settle some things first, shall we?" He finished while smiling wide.

 

               Kai had a smirk on his face while Chanyeol produced a throaty chuckle at the leader's explanation of Baekhyun's weird behaviour. Silently, both of them wanted to thank Baekhyun for always lifting the mood up whenever they were down. Kai nodded and Chanyeol followed, agreeing with the leader's proposal.

 

"First of all, I'm really sorry to have let you get involved in this, Yeol-ah. I did it not because I wanted the two of you to fight over a girl but for the two of you to realise on your own where you two are standing right now and the responsibilities you have. I did not ask either of you to actually stop having such feelings but what I did instead was, aggravated the sticky situation to see just how much both of you regard each other. We've been through a lot together and I won't let anything to destroy this brotherhood. We are new to this business and already we are expected to do so much. I'm sure you know exactly what I'm talking about. For now, I'd appreciate it if you two would sort out your priorities because as you two know, you're putting something on the line here. You're not that little anymore, especially you Chanyeol, so please help yourselves to help us as a whole." Suho finished his little speech with a sigh.

 

               Even though the speech was quite short but the points were all hit causing both Chanyeol and Kai to remain silent for a good five minutes. Kai had finally found the value that he had put at stake and Chanyeol had realised that as well. Kai sighed heavily, slowly turning his head to face his oldest hyung. 

 

"Mianhae, hyung." Kai apologised sincerely. "and thank you for always taking care of us." he added.

 

"Me too. I'm really sorry and we thank you sincerely, hyung." Chanyeol added, his eyes getting watery as well as Kai's, suddenly so touched by the leader's confession.

 

"Ah it's okay." Suho stood up and ruffled both Chanyeol and Kai's hair causing all of them to laugh, lifting the tension in the air. "It's my job and I love doing it." Suho smiled at the sudden change of scene. The leader proceeded slowly in the direction of the door, pushing both his hands into his pockets before completely disappearing completely to head downstairs as well.

 

           Kai, having witnessed the resolving of the tension between his hyungs in front of his eyes felt somehow relieved but at the same time he knew he had one thing left to do. He felt a familiar tugging feeling in his chest and he knew he would have to do it soon. Kai, who had been looking down on his lap all this time, deep in his thoughts, let out a big sigh and Chanyeol patted his little brother's head, completely understanding his leftover dilemma. Slowly he looked up, meeting Chanyeol's eyes as if to say:

 

How do I tell Yuri this?

 

--------------------------------------------------------------

 

                       Kwon Yuri lied down on her back facing the ceiling, completely comfortable in her queen-sized bed. She grabbed one of her square-shaped pillows and buried her face onto the cold surface of the two. Lately she could not explain her emotional turmoil and she felt so helpless, especially being in a state where she could not talk to anybody about it, not even Sooyoung who - amongst the girls - listens so well. She felt like it was her own burden and anyone else should not be dragged into it, she was so sure of that before but now she could not help but feel ... lost. Kai stopped texting about a week ago and this did not help at all. They had even stopped meeting up since both of them were busy for certain events and most of the time, their events do not clash. She sensed that something was wrong, that something was bothering Kai. A part of her wanted to end whatever they were having because she had not been able to concentrate on anything and oftentimes, either Taeyeon or Tiffany would flip out on her and she hated having those arguments. What she actually hated, most of all, was to have her miserable state captioned by her sisters like that. Just when Yuri was getting too frustrated with the state she was in, her iPhone beeped indicating a text message was received. Fumbling for it with her eyes closed, Yuri managed to grab onto it almost immediately. Yuri finally read who the text was from and she frowned.

 

From: Jong In

 

Kona Beans Café, 8pm tonight. Please.

 

             Yuri stared at the text for about five minutes before glancing at the clock on the wall, showing her she had only fifteen minutes to get ready. A part of her was relieved that he had texted but somehow the text brought about another vibe entirely. She was not sure but she told her heart to not expect so much of him tonight. She rose from her bed quite gracefully and checked herself out on her body-length mirror and agreed that her leggings were fine. She left her loose locks to fall on her back, grabbed a peach-coloured blazer to match her simple white shirt and an orange satchel to give her outfit a pop of colour. Since it would be real dark soon she did not need any hoodie to cover her face completely, for that part alone she was relieved. Quickly she grabbed her phone and dashed out of the apartment, leaving her sisters puzzled as always. Under her breath, she prayed that she would be strong enough to try to end things with Kai tonight. But I have a feeling that he will be the one letting me go tonight, she thought.

 

----------------------------------------------------------

 

                 The familiar strong smell of coffee hit her nostrils immediately as she entered Kona Beans Café at exactly 8 o'clock that evening. She was never one to be late for anything. She was greeted by the barista and she replied with equal politeness although she diverted her face immediately for fear of being recognised. She pushed her shades up the bridge of her nose and scanned the café for a familiar figure. She found him almost immediately, sitting with his head down and his hoodie up. Kai sported a black hoodie, revealing a light blue shirt underneath it. He paired them up with a pair of comfortable-looking blue denim jeans. He looked almost at ease and it managed to confuse Yuri even more. After placing her order, she walked gracefully in her heels approaching Kai's table, feeling slightly nervous.

 

"Jongin-ssi?" she asked half-whispering. Kai looked up and their eyes met for almost a minute. 

 

                The connection was electric and Yuri could not help but felt slightly hurt. She had not realised that she had missed those pair of hazel eyes so much until then. Kai was staring at her as well, taking her in as much as he could because he knew this would be the last time he would ever be this up close to her. Yuri took a seat in front of him and they sat in silence for almost five minutes. The silent was deafening and Yuri hated it.

 

"Jongin-ah..." she started, trying to start a conversation.

 

"How have you been doing?" Kai cut her short, trying to ease the tension between them. Caught off guard, Yuri replied reluctantly.

 

"I've been.. coping. You?" she asked him in return. She found herself wanting to know for real how he had been doing. Kai curved a tiny smile at the corner of his mouth, that tiny smile Yuri had developed to like.

 

 "I've been coping as well." another wall of silence fell, numbing their nerves. Kai sighed heavily and he leaned forward, linking his fingers together before continuing.

 

"Yul-ah. First of all, I apologise for everything. I guess if I hadn't asked you for.. that dance in the first place, we wouldn't be having.. whatever this is." he started, looking directly at her.

 

"It wasn't entirely your fault, Jongin-ah. If I hadn't accepted, we won't be having.. whatever this is as well." she countered. Kai's expression softened at her reply.

 

"For the record though, why did you accept it?" he asked, completely unaware of his question but he found himself wanting the answer anyway.

 

Yuri smiled genuinely. "I'm not sure Jongin-ssi, but there was just something about you that triggered me to accept it. You can't expect me to explain what it was because truthfully I don't know myself. Something about you managed to capture me that Tuesday afternoon." she explained fully causing Kai to raise his eyebrows.

 

"Before anything, can you answer me truthfully, sunbae?" Kai asked. His sudden formality caught Yuri off guard and she already knew where this was going.

 

"Go on." she urged.

 

"Do you want us to continue whatever we're having right now?" he asked her without diverting his eyes away.

 

          Yuri found herself prepared for that question but she herself could not reasoned why. Her fingers wrapped around the warm mug in her hands, silently wanting herself to feel that familiar warmth all over again. She stared at his face for quite awhile, taking him in as much as he can. His gorgeous squared jaw outlining that handsome face, whose smile could make her heart skip a beat any day. His eyes never failed to capture hers in a sense that once the two pairs meet, nothing but electric would be produced. Knowing her answer fairly well, she knew she would miss that connection. She sighed heavily before answering truthfully.

 

"As much as... I would like us to. I don't think we should, Jongin-ssi." she finally let it out. Kai's eyebrows were immediately furrowed, understanding her sentiment.

 

"Are you sure?" he asked her, realising how hard she was thinking and suddenly he felt a pang of guilt.

 

"Please don't think I'm doing this because you have been avoiding me or anything. I've thought about it and should we continue this, I don't think we'd be able to concentrate on anything else. My group is currently just venturing the international market and your group is really new to this business as a whole and .. being in such different levels, I don't see how it would work out. I'm afraid that because of us being so intimate, it could ruin things for the other members. Don't you think so?" she reasoned.

 

                Kai fixated his eyes on her, completely unaware of her question. How her face seemed so beautiful under the dim lighting of the café. The way she speaks so gracefully which Kai believed was developed after having been interviewed so many times already over the years. The way she pushed her back backward with a swift movement of her hand or the way she hooked her loose locks behind both her ears whenever they got to her face, blocking her view. I would really miss having her this close, he thought. 

 

"Jongin-ssi?" she brought him back down to Earth.

 

Sighing, Kai replied. "Yes it has been made clear to me and I actually found out myself as well that there are things that I need to concentrate on more than this. Don't get me wrong, sunbae. I would love for us to be more.. than friends but being a professional, I think you'd understand this much better than I will ever do in a long run." he explained and Yuri simply nodded. Sensing the heavy tension slowly creeping up on them, Kai suddenly suggested.

 

"This place is kind of boring. Do you mind if I bring you out and about? I wanna spend this one night with you." he invited causing Yuri to raise her eyebrows and she laughed at the sudden change of tone.

 

"I believe we just broke up, Jongin-ssi. We're not supposed to be doing this." she answered while smiling, the glint in her eyes saying otherwise.

 

"Please sunbae, give me tonight. We'll talk about absolutely anything and by tomorrow.. I promise you this never happened." he pleaded, looking so sincere. Yuri could hear her heart breaking into tiny little pieces at the promise made but she gathered herself up and slowly nodded, surrendering to this young man once again.

 

              They spent the night together that evening, from a walk at the park to a late show at the movies. Both of them had not been able to feel so free in each others' company but already they had to part very soon. Despite the earlier confrontation, they spent their night like a newborn couple. They were constantly laughing and whenever their eyes met, they would smile lovingly towards each other. She would slap his arm playfully and he would gently poked her in return whenever he . The night went on like that, with them ignoring other people and their views on what should be done and otherwise. They drifted together into a world where everything else never mattered. They were one.

 

            Nearing the Girls' Generation apartment, both of them stopped dead in their tracks, they turned facing each other and once again their eyes met. They knew this was the stopping point and although they would meet again for work, this would be the last time they would ever feel this way together. At least, that was what it seemed to be. She sighed heavily, her warm breath visible due to the coldness of the night. Slowly Kai brought both his hands up, cupping her face with both his large palms. He caressed her cheeks and Yuri simply stared at him, numb by the pain she had been wanting to ignore all night long.

 

"Yul-ah. Do you believe this is the end of us?" he asked, being informal once again and looking deep in her eyes. For the first time ever, Yuri could see that he was sad. He was finally opening himself to her in that sense, finally letting himself to really feel. Yuri brought her hands up to hold his.

 

"Standing here now, out in the open. Do you feel like this is right?" she asked softly.

 

"More than anything, yes."

 

"Then no, I don't believe this is the end of us." she answered fully, staring back at him. His handsome face looking down at her, completely enthralled.

 

              He pulled her in for an embrace and they stayed like that for what seemed like hours. Yuri had never felt such warmth and she fell completely in his arms. Slowly he bent his head down and he planted a real kiss on her forehead and he stayed that way until her forehead became warm. How could something that felt so right be so wrong at the same time? he asked himself while drowning himself in her eyes.

 

              After almost twenty minutes, Kai finally let go of the embrace slowly as if Yuri was too fragile to be let go so quickly. He looked down at his feet and he felt as if his heart was squeezed out of his system. Sensing his devastation, Yuri leaned forward and hold his cheeks in return. She looked up at him with such soft expression that it almost killed Kai for having to let her go. Yuri leaned forward immediately, capturing Kai's lips with hers and they sealed the kiss for as long as they could. The kiss was soft and full but most of all, the kiss felt so right. They stayed connected like that for another five minutes before she pulled away slowly. He was leaning his forehead against hers and they promised each other right there and then.

 

"This is not the end of us, Yuri. This is not the end of us." he echoed her answer and with that promise, they parted ways.

 

               Kim Jong In walked towards the opposite direction with a heavy heart. He pushed his hands into his pockets, burying them there along with his sorrows. He dragged his feet along the pavement, reluctantly leaving the area and by extension, leaving her. Although whatever he had with Yuri ended, he could not help but feel slightly at ease. Not because it had not mean anything to him but because it did happen. He was happy that it happened and that they had promised together that it would not be the end of them. Something about you will always keep me going, Yuri, he thought to himself. Slowly he curved his lips into a genuine smile, walked in a faster pace approaching a corner and then slowly disappeared into the night.

 

-------------------------------------------------------

 

There it is people, the Final Chapter! Ahhhhhhhhhhh scream! haha you guys might be feeling so frustrated right now! I'm really sorry to have made a sad ending here but I just had to since there will be Something About You Part 2. Who's excited?? I know I am.

 

Thank you so much for the crazy support and the ridiculous spams I've been getting, making my life THAT much more meaningful. I promise to write a sequel to this which will be posted on .... ;-) 

 

Stay tuned for other fictions featuring other pairings as well while you all are waiting. Kamsahamnida.

 

I love you all to bits and pieces and specks!

 

PLEASE COMMENT!

 

x, Chan Ra.