Six

Compared to Yesterday

 

The first four months of school has been filled with pressure. Endless sentences such as “look for the value of x,” “solve for value of the inscribed angle,” “Differentiate poem from prose” and not so good questions for example: “Who killed Julius Ceasar?” and “Give the empirical formula of monosaccharide sugar” means nothing to the students. They may be able to follow the lessons during the discussion, and forget it the next day. If they were to choose between seatwork and group work, they would certainly pick the group work. Two heads are better than one, they say. Case in point, Jiyong and Yoona would always be grouped together for the entire first quarter. Most groupings are based on countings, starting at some point and would continue in a pattern, depending on the teacher. Since Yoona was sitting at the first chair in the front row, she used to always classified herself as a part of group one. Jiyong always calculated the distance gap between her and him. If he was to mention his group name at his OWN chair, it would definitely be group two. Just to be with Yoona, he would threaten his seatmate, Seungri, to exchange seats with him. That way, he and Yoona would always be grouped together.

 

Jiyong and Yoona had been mutually committed to each other for almost two months now. Yes, they are committed to each other, but they are just dating. Jiyong confessed to Yoona a month after the school has started. Yoona, for some reason, likes him too. Hello, she has been crushing on him way before he laid his eyes on her. On the other hand, Yoona was a very pure and innocent girl. She’s also smart when it comes to things--- not to mention, rational. She have faith in guys who would wait for the girl they love, even if it takes forever. She doesn’t like guys who are rushing the girl with things and is very hardhearted in terms of waiting. Patience is always a virtue.

 

The moment Yoona found her iPhone under the Geometry book, she took it in a very blissful way as she tapped Jiyong’s birthdate “0818” on her phone harshly to unlock it.  The moment it was unlocked, she dialed Jiyong’s number and pressed the “call” button.

 

“Yeoboseyo?”

“Jiyong-ah!”

“Yah, Im Yoona! Is there any problem?”

“My parents wanted to meet you today. They want you to come over for dinner.”

“REALLY?” He asked in astonishment.

“Yes. Why? Do you have a schedule today. I mean it’s okay if you don’t want to c...”

“No, I’m going.”

“Really? Well then, I’ll see you tonight.”

“Okay Im. I love you.”

“I know. I’m hanging up.”

 

Jiyong arrived at Yoona’s house around 6:45 pm. Just in time for the seven pm dinner. He was wearing a black tuxedo coat. It wasn’t too much formal, but looks very presentable. Underneath the tux was light-scaled gray shirt, which complemented his charming black hair and full bangs. To top the look, the always fashionable Jiyong matched his outfit with black pants and gray low cut Keds© sneakers. He didn’t want to make bad impressions on meeting his future “parents.”

 

Yoona opened the door for him, she was not shocked with the guy’s fashion sense. She knows he’s really meticulous in terms of dressing up. She on the other hand, was kind of like him, but less. In a scale of a hundred percent, she knows her ’fashionista’ attitude would be less than Jiyong. Yoona was wearing a simple long-sleeved burgundy chiffon dress, with matching bathroom cushion slippers. She flashed him a smile and complimented him. “You look lovely.”

 

Jiyong and Yoona’s parents got along really well. The fact that his ‘future parents’ call him and treat him as if they are his own son made Jiyong a reassurance of their relationship. He didn’t have a specific attitude or portrayal of what he wanted to show to her parents. Nonetheless, he did it in a cute manner because he acted the way he just is. He doesn’t like pretending. When the parents ask him, he answers right away. Truthfully speaking, he was the ideal guy Yoona’s parents always wanted for her.

 

“It makes me happy everytime I remember the day I met your parents.” Jiyong said while staring at the restaurant’s ceiling and almost squealing due to happiness. In fact, he was hitting the guy beside him.

“You’re so happy, you don’t mind even if your friend HERE gets hurt.” Seunghyun said sarcastically.

“Yoona, why don’t you defend your future boyfriend?” Jiyong begged.

“You’re being too possessive! She’s not yet your girlfriend, Ji.”

“Soon to be, hyung.” He confidently replied while sipping on his cola.

“He’s being too controlling over you, Isn’t he Yoong? When did he meet your parents?” The eldest asked her.

“I don't remember the date. There wasn't any month either. Damned if I know what it was.” Yoona said in a bitter way while taking a bite on the burger.

“Diary of a Madman chapter 7.” He then took a sip on his cola and smiled. “It was one of the narrator’s diary headings.”

“Wow Kwon Jiyong! I had never imagined you know these kind of things.”

“He would even betray me just to read literature stories and poems, Yoona.” Seunghyun remarked.

“Duh. It’s Nikolay Gogol’s book. He’s a Russian novelist and playwright. He’s one of my favorites.”

“I could never fool you, Jiyong.”

“I hope that’s a literal meaning… In fact I just saw you with a muscular man awhile ago. He’s been bugging you for like too long already.”

“Yah! Don’t tell me you’re jealous over Siwon oppa again?”

“Why would you even talk with that guy like you’re having so much fun.” He responded bitterly as he looked at the window.

Yoona once again did her famous alligator laugh.

“Why are you laughing? It’s not even funny.” The guy was pouting at her cutely.

“Because…. Kwon Jiyong is jealous over Siwon oppa who was asking me tips on how, to get close to Tiffany. He wanted to court her.”

“WHAT? Give me some time to absorb what you just said Yoong.” Jiyong replied in bother. “What was it again?”

“Siwon oppa wants Tiffany to be her girlfriend, and he’s planning to court her soon.”

 

Seunghyun’s eyes widened as his mouth couldn’t even speak a word.