One

Compared to Yesterday

 

A clock alarmed six am, on the dot. A typical day for other people, but not for Tiffany Hwang, who was so hyped up in going to school. She took a step out of her bed, put her comfortable slippers in and started walking to the door across her bed, which was her bathroom. She took her bath, dressed in her school uniform and fixed herself. She then grabbed her pink backpack on her study table’s chair and went downstairs for breakfast. After the energizing meal, she gave a peck on her mom and dad’s chin, put on her comfortable doll shoes and made her way out of their house with a big smile on her face. For every girl, a new school year means new hope. “This is it. I’m already a Junior.”

 

Upon arriving at the school hallway, Tiffany saw her old friends and classmates along the way. The Classroom Directory sure is a big hit every first day. It is a list of people in a class, more like of a master list pinned on the entrance door of every classroom. She started her way on the first classroom, no Tiffany Hwang on the list. Her name wasn’t on the second either. She found her name on the third classroom, apparently the section next to genius kids on 3-A, Section 3-B.

 

“What a great way to start the school year!” Tiffany smiled to herself as she enters the classroom. The students inside were diverse. She saw Yoona sitting like a kid with no friend, staring blankly at the window. She took the seat beside her, yet Yoona was still unconscious of her best friend arriving. Tiffany then cleared , good enough for her to notice. Yoona posed that alligator face laugh when the teacher arrived and saw her, causing to cover in complete embarrassment. The teacher seemed strict, so the students didn’t mind in speaking a word.

 

“Good morning class. Welcome back to school, as we always say. I am Mrs. Kim, Chemistry teacher and I will be your adviser for this school year. First things first, let’s start the attendance checking. Raise your hands as I call your name.”

 

“Bae Suji, Jung Sooyeon, Dong Young-bae, Kang Daesung, Kim Hyoyeon, Kim Taeyeon, Kwon Jiyong, Kwon Yuri, Seo Juhyun, Lee Seunghyun, Lee Soonkyu, Im Yoona, Hwang Miyoung, Choi Seunghyun..”

 

“Damn.” Tiffany said to herself.