13

A Love To Die For (Real Love)

 

 

Lee Ji-Eun's POV

 

It didn't really hit me until I woke up this morning under the blankets of my narrow bed in a makeshift room. Today is my last day here as a patient. For years, I have wondered and dreamt of this day, of leaving the hospital for good, but I always imagined it to be because I was finally healthy but to see that this opportunity only came to be because of a fire….it brought a cold chill down my spine as if a bad omen.

 

Breathing in deeply, I close my eyes in hopes to ignore this worrying and anxious feeling. "Ready?" Dr. Yoon smiles, taking one of my luggages in her hand. Nodding, I pull back the covers, already dressed in a light pink button down and blue jeans. " Kang Sang is at the front with the car." Strapping the guitar onto my back, I take the second luggage and follow her towards the noisy lobby. Looking around, even though I have been here all my life, it seemed different. Perhaps it was because for the first time, I was no longer a patient unable to pass through those automatic doors. 

 

Dr. Noh, leaning against the car door, sees sight of us and opens the trunk and takes the two large luggages and gently places my guitar in the backseat. Saying goodbye to Dr. Yoon, we promise to meet up often before Dr. Noh drives off with just her in the background, waving until she disappears into the trees. Biting my lip, I can't help but feel a bit overwhelmed. "Aren't you glad to be finally out of the hospital?" Dr. Noh laughs lightly. Nodding, I try to be bright and ecstatic but easily, he can see the tension in my expression, "You all right?" He asks, surprised to see me less then jumping up and down from joy. "Yeah… it's just hitting me now that after all these years of wondering what it would be like to leave the hospital for good, it's really happening." Chuckling, he smiles as he takes out a silver key from his pocket. "Until the hospital is rebuilt, my home is your home." Taking the key and holding it in my palms, I smile a bit. "Home." I repeat, liking the sound of the word. 

 

…………………………………………………………………..

 

JinYoung's point of view

 

Knocking on the landlord's door, I wait patiently as I clink the keys together. The sound of someone unbolting a lock echoes inside the empty hallway when the old landlord surprisingly smiles when he sees me. Raising an eyebrow as the change of his expression from yesterday, I reach my hand over to hand him the keys to the apartment. Looking at it with wide-eyes, it seems as if he completely forgot he is the one that threatened to kick us out if we don't leave. 

 

"Wait a minute, young man." The elderly man follows me to the elevator. "You know…maybe I was a bit harsh the other day. You and your friends possibly couldn't find a place to stay in such a short time's notice." Grinning, I see that he is trying to take back on his word. 

 

"That's alright. We already found somewhere else to stay." Surprised, he fidgets his old and nimble fingers together. "I see. That-that's great but the truth is…after last night, this morning I had over a hundred offers on apartments because they all found out that you lived here. If you leave then all those offers will be withdrawn. I already accepted down payments and paid the bills with that money. Please spare this old man and do me a favor." 

 

Scoffing in disbelief, I cross my arms. This man basically wants to make a profit off of us! Gritting my teeth, I get into the elevator when he holds the metal doors back. "Please! I'll lower your rent for an entire year!" Glaring at him, I press the ground floor button. "I'll never help a pathetic old geezer like you." Mouth wide open, he steps back, stunned at my insult. As the door closes, the only words I can read off his lips is "bastard." 

 

………………………………………………………..

 

Lee Ji Eun's POV

 

"Watch your step." Dr. Noh says as he opens the gate, leading me to a small flight of stairs. Taken aback, my mouth opens wide in amazement. Spinning around, I take in the amazing view of a lake with a small waterfall and a large colorful garden. At the top of the stairs is a house that looks as if it was a vacation inn with it's white walls and large glass windows. 

 

Taking off my shoes, I place it in the shoe rack and carefully step inside. Clean, simple and full of natural light, the house inside was beautiful and airy. Pale yellows, beige, and white make the house stretch on and on, sparking from the sunlight and also the many glass and mirror surfaces. As we slip on a pair of red checkered slippers, he leads me through the living room and then through the dining room to a long hall of doors. Stopping at the first door to the right, he opens it to a light green room with white furniture and large french doors leading to a brick patio with a small breakfast nook. 

 

"Before you unpack, let me show you around." Dr. Noh says, setting my luggage down by the dresser as I unlatch my guitar and place it on the soft white bed. Following him, he introduces me to the home carer, a small elderly women that smiles brightly and laughs loudly. "As the maid and ground's keeper of the property, she will be here every Wednesday from noon to three o'clock and whenever I am out of town for work." 

 

Half an hour later and the tour is over. There are six rooms, six bathrooms, a basement, an attic, a library, a living room, a dining room, and a huge kitchen. And if that isn't enough, the backyard can pass for a forest. From a small hospital room to a this luxurious house is amazing yet overwhelming. To think, I'll be living here with five other strangers…my stomach begins to knot just thinking about it. 

 

"Ji-Eun!" I say to myself, holding my face between my hands. "I'm sure it'll be fine. I mean it's Dr. Noh's nephew. Being his relative and all, if he is anything like him then he must be at least decent, right?" Sighing, I get up from my bed and my luggage. Staring into the enormous amount of clothes for the first time, my eyes widen to see such cute and stylish things that belong in a magazine. "She has over done it again." I gasp, going through piles of clothing, accessories, and even shoes. "How did she know all my sizes?" I wonder, surprised to see a pair of light pink heels  fit perfectly around my feet. 

 

Putting everything away, I sit back on the bed and reach for my guitar case. Unlocking the white case, I open it and pull out the guitar,strumming it to see if it survived the trip. Glad to hear that it was still tuned correctly, I strum a few chords and hum a bit when I hear the sound of a beeping truck. Curious, I put it down and head towards the window to see a large moving trunk entering the gate. "That must be them." I think to myself, eying the black minivan behind the steel truck. 

 

Walking into the walk-in closet, I place the guitar case on the top of a shelf and cover it with a black cloth to keep dust away from it. "I should probably help." Closing the doors, I head downstairs, hoping that these people are pleasant and kind.

 

………………………………………………….

 

Ji Young's POV

 

"Wow~ Jackpot!" Baro exclaims, leaning against the window to see a large fancy white house. As the car stops, the first ones to jump out are Gong Chan and Baro, who are like two primary children going to an amusement park for the first time. "Hyung!" Baro yells, clutching onto me. "It's huge!" While I am trying to shake him off, my uncle steps down the stairs, laughing happily. "Im glad you like it." He says pleasantly. 

 

Unloading our things onto the front pavement of the stairs, we grab our luggages and enter the house. " All your rooms have been set up and is ready for your choosing. They are upstairs and you have four rooms to chose from. Before Baro and Gong Chan race to claim their beds, they stop short with a puzzled face. "Four?" I say, remembering clearly that there were five rooms before. "About that…" Kang Sang says, smiling nervously. "There is another person here." 

 

Raising an eyebrow, I ask who when someone's footsteps echo down the stairs. "Dr. Noh, I finished unpackin-" Freezing, she stares into my eyes as I drop my luggage onto the hard wood floor. "You…" hangs open as my eyes grow wide. There she was in front of me...

 

Lee Ji-Eun.

 

* Comment and subcribe!