11

A Love To Die For (Real Love)

Ji-Eun’s point of view

Flickering flames circle around me in a dangerously bright cage as I clutch to myself, wincing at the burning sparks on my skin. Covering my mouth, sweat drips down my neck as my breath becomes shallow and weak. Surrounded by glowing fire and darkness, tears seep through my eyes as I am engulfed in hot waves of simmering heat….

Entrapped by my dream, I gasp when I feel a tug on my arm awaken me from the nightmare.  Opening my eyes, I stare at a panic stricken nurse with disheveled hair.  “Miss! Please get up! The building is on fire!” Numb from grogginess, my feet feel like heavy logs as I notice the building smoking around us. “Fire?” I repeat dumbly, unable to take in what was happening. “Quickly, we must get you outside!” She demands, painfully gripping my arm.

Clumsily following behind, she opens the door to a hallway that looks just like my dream. Along the walls is long flickering tongues of flames that make me freeze in my tracks. Staring in horror, the heat caresses my face with stinging arrows of sparks. Tugging my shirt, we slide against a safe wall, coughing painfully. When we are half-way towards the stairway, I gasp and pull back. “What is it?” The nurse asks when I yank my shirt out of her hands. “I-I need to go back!” Before she can move, I dash back towards my room.

The metal handle was hot as I use my shirt to open the door. Back in the room, I cough uncontrollably from the dark black smoke as I squint my eyes in the almost impossible to see smog. Ignoring the distant calling of my name, I feel with my hands for the closet. Finding it, I swing it open, seeing the untouched guitar against a corner. Grabbing it, I cover my mouth with a towel and try to maneuver myself back to the stairs. Unable to see, I take every step carefully as I feel my breath becomes weak. My heart fighting against the thick smoke, it burned inside my chest. Suddenly, a sharp painful stabbing sensation makes me groan as I drop the towel and clutch onto my chest. “Oh…”I moan, sweat trickling down my face. “just a little bit more…” The green and black stairway doors stand just a couple yards away but my body was already beginning to numb.

My mind turns into mush as my skin begins to feel unusually cold and clammy, my mouth dry and coarse.  Panting to breathe, I collapse to the ground, the walls spinning in orange and black swirls. “This is it.” I mumble, amazed that the end was here. Who knew that I’d die from a fire while my entire life, I thought I’d die of a heart attack? The shock makes me laugh bitterly. “I’m going to di-“Suddenly, a voice booms as someone scoops me into his arms. “Who’s going to die?” Recognizing Mr. Noh’s deep voice, he tightly grabs around me as I feel my thoughts beginning to disappear. Unable to keep my head up, it slumps back as my eyes close. Then everything disappears.

………………………………………………………………………………………………….

Ji-Young’s point of view

“What are we going to do?” Gong-Chan bits his lips in worry as we all sit in the living room. Everyone is silent with furrowed brows, thinking of a plan. Suddenly, Dong Woo snaps his fingers. “What?” I ask, hoping he had answer. Pointing at me, he smiles. “Your dad.” His words chill my blood. “No way.” I say automatically. “Common, Jin-Young. He’s the only solution!” Shaking my head, I cross my arms. “ I rather be homeless then step into that house again.” Then do you know anyone else that had a place large enough for all 5 of us?” Dong Woo said, meaning to be rhetorical. Suddenly  my head snaps up in realization. “There is…” Everyone stares at me in anticipation. “My uncle.”

…………………………………………………………………………………………………………..

Jin-Eun’s point of view

Opening my eyes, they slowly take in the harsh light as things began to become clear. Looking around, noisy sounds of voices and movement echoes in my sore and tired head as I recognize that I am in the ER. Looking at my hands, they are scrubbed clean of the black soot. My dirty gown was replaced with a new one and my hair that was once a tangled mess was brushed back and turned back silky smooth.

The left curtain suddenly swings open to a panic stricken Dr. Noh. Before I could say anything, he screams an ear splitting yell. “What the hell were you thinking?” He demands, his face red with anger. Wincing, I shut my eyes, definitely not ready to hear a lecture. “I’m so-,“ Interrupting my apology, he yells again. “Do you have any idea what could have happened?” Panting, he takes a step closer. “You could have died! After all we had been doing to keep you alive, are you that stupid?”

Shaking, my fingers felt cold as tears began to drop down from my bowed head. “Well? What do you have to say for yourself?” He asked in a hushed tone. Gulping, I bit my lip. “I’m sorry….I’m sorry for making you worried.” Staring into his wild eyes, I clench the bed sheets. “I had to go back… I had to get the guitar. It’s the only thing I have left of my father.” The anger begin to disappear and instead, his dark brown eyes reflects exhaustion and sympathy. Seeing that the guitar wasn’t there, my voice quivers with panic. “Where is it?” I ask in a rushed tone. “Where is my guitar?” Taking a breath, he leaves the curtained room for a moment and returns shortly with my guitar in his hands. Relieved, I extend my hands, yearning to touch the beautiful wooden surface again.

Handing it to me, I laugh joyfully as tears stain my face with gratitude. “ Oh thank you…thank you.” Clutching onto it, I feel a satisfaction in chest as if I was able to protect my most precious memory. “Is it really that important you?” He asks in fascination. “Even to risk your own life?” Nodding, I smile.

“Yes.”