The Call

Tainted

"Yuri? Is that you?"

"Help me" was all she could muster as her tears spilled like a broken dam at the sound of the familiar voice.  

"Take a deep breath, Yuri. You gotta let me know where you are now."

Clinging on tightly to the receiver, Yuri desperately searched her mind for clues but it was difficult. Having been mainly transported in the back of a van, it was difficult to even catch a glimpse of where she was and the places they have passed.

"An ab-abandoned cabin.. Nothing but fields.." She stammered between hiccups as she tried to compose herself. "A petrol station.. 15- 20 minutes away?" She tried.

"Did you hear anything?"  He prompted, trying hard to suppress the anxiety in his own voice as he assured her, "Don't worry, I will find you."

 

~~~~~

"Something- something about tomorrow.. maybe leaving..  I don't know wh-" That was the last Siwon heard from the other end of the receiver before the line went dead.

He balled his hands into fists, unaware of the pain from his nails digging into his own skin, as he held back the urge to call after her.

"We found her," The bespectacled man on the computer, synced with all sorts of high technology devices alien to most, reported matter-of-factly almost in a split second to the man in suit towering over him. Turning towards Siwon, the man displayed a victorious smile as he approached to give him a pat on the back.

"I knew she would look for you. Well done!" The man spoke in a proud, booming voice that demanded attention.

If silence could suffocate, this would be it.

It was as if everyone in the room was holding their breath in fear and curiousity of how the exchange would go. It took a few seconds but nothing more before Siwon looked up and returned the generous compliment with a smile, to the relief of many, as he followed through with what he knows best; he concealed and pushed to the back of his mind what he thought just a moment ago - that he wished she never called.

 

~~~~~

First of all, sorry for the delayed update and short chapter. :/ Could not find a more appropriate place to stop the chapter.

Secondly, I am trying to update more regularly (on a weekly basis maybe?) and finish this story in a way that hopefully does it justice.

Lastly, still ever thankful towards the readers who stayed on and the new ones who came on board! (: