Lies

Tainted

“Happy17th Birthday, Siwon!” The girl in her dainty, white summer dress and carrying a handmade birthday cake said with a smile before pouting her lips into a kiss. Laughter could be heard in the background and the camera shook slightly. It was the person behind the camera who was laughing.

“What are you doing?” A voice spoke and a hand extended from behind the camera in an attempt to ruffle the hair of the girl. She managed to dodge it swiftly.

Yuri laughed. “And Happy Anniversary too! Do you remember your scheming plan to make me agree to be your girlfriend two years ago on this day?” She asked and pouted.

The person behind the camera continued laughing and this time, Yuri laughed along

“So what do you want for your birthday this year?” She asked with a look of curiousity.

“Well…” The voice started hesitantly.

“Ahh… let me guess,” Putting the cake down on the table, Yuri started and gave a gracious spin and curtsy before adding cheekily, “With such a gorgeous princess to spend your day with, what more can Prince Siwon ask for right?”

At the moment, the couple’s laughter could have tinted the air a pretty blossom pink.

“I love you, Siwon” She uttered seriously with her hands tugging shyly at the ends of her dress.

“I love you too,” The voice spoke gently as a hand extended to take Yuri’s.

The projector screen turned pitch black as the video recording from a year ago comes to an end. The only person seated before the screen caught a glimpse of the black pistol lifelessly laying on the table next to him in the room faintly lit by the light from the projector. With a swift routine motion, he pressed the button on the remote control and the projector switched off, instantly leaving the room in pure complete darkness. Hanging his head backwards, he gradually closed his eyes, craving every bit of comfort he could get from the sheer silence of the room.  

~~~~~

Yuri’s POV

“You are pathetic,” Those were the first words that I uttered in reply. I thought I caught just a glimpse of shock in his eyes before he quickly reverted to his cold and arrogant self. “Was that the best lie you could come up with, Kim Jaejoong?”

“Ahh… so that’s the kind of trust you have in your boyfriend? Cute… real cute,” Jaejoong uttered in a patronizing manner as he caressed my face. Instinctively, I shook it off me and was about to retaliate when he continued calmly, “Let’s see, why were you late in returning home yesterday?”

The truth is I was at Yoona’s house because I needed to borrow her oven to bake Siwon’s birthday cake. It was something I do every year on his birthday. However, when I reached her house that day, I realized I left the bags of chocolate chips at home so I decided to hurry home to get them. That was when I witnessed the fatal incident. However unwilling I am to let Jaejoong know that I have been led on by his words, he probably realized it because I could feel tears welling up in my eyes just at the recollection of the repetitive gunshots.

“I’m guessing it has something to do with Siwon that you went home a little later than usual,” He added emotionlessly.

“But that doesn’t-“

“He did not expect you to return home that early though. You were supposed to take longer, weren’t you?” I froze upon hearing those words.

“You weren’t supposed to see it happening,” He looked into my eyes and for a brief moment, I thought his look softened but it was probably just my imagination.

“You’re lying!” It took a while but I finally managed to retaliate though even I could not miss the slight uncertainty in my voice.

I really do believe in Siwon and that he would do nothing to hurt me. Yet this guy in front of me was somehow making me doubt the coincidences. It is not Siwon who killed them. That, I am sure! However, I felt myself weakening at Jaejoong’s words. I hate how this is going. There were things he said that I have no grounds for retaliation for. There were answers for those coincidences that even I needed.

“Do you know how disgusting your naivety is?” For some reason, his voice is now filled with anger and disdain as he grabbed my chin and raised it up so that I am forced to look into his eyes.

“You’ve always hated him,” I uttered softly as the tears finally overflowed. “You are just trying to hurt us, aren’t you?”

He looked at me with such intensity in his eyes I could not describe and did not speak for a while.

“They all deserve to die,” He uttered with such rage I have never witnessed even from someone like him. My heart skipped in involuntary fear. Instinctively, my eyes shut closed as his clenched fist flew straight towards me. However, all I heard was a loud thud and later hurried footsteps. For some reason, he had punched the wall at a distance dangerously close to my face instead. My eyes jerked open at the sound of the slamming of the door.

He was gone.

 

-----

As usual, I forgot to add this part: please comment/subscribe! (:
Sorry for the late update. School has been crazy hectic (and still is).