Closer

Tainted

Yuri felt something soft brush past her arm as she reached for the cold towel on her forehead. The towel was still damp. Someone must have changed it not long ago. Instinctively, she slowly opened her eyes, which hurt a little against the brief streams of morning sunlight seeping through the small openings between the slightly ajar window and badly nailed wooden wall.

It might have taken every ounce of strength in her feeble body then to not scream at what caught her sight.

Barely inches from her, was a sound asleep Kim Jaejoong.

He was sitting right by her bed, with his arms cushioning his head above the bedding. She realized for the first time that she was lying on the only bed in the room – the one that he usually occupies alone without any consideration of her existence. Could he have carried her here? Still confused by the situation, she unintentionally took note of how his hair gleamed under the morning sunlight, how peaceful he looked for once, and how defenseless he seemed.

This is probably the first time she had looked at him up close in a situation that would not potentially cost her her life.

Defenseless? Yuri snapped back to reality upon that thought.

This might well be her only chance at escape then.

It was just then that she noticed the half-opened wallet that must have fallen out of his back pocket. It was almost as if someone was creating this chance for her.

Taking a nervous gulp, she reached out for the wallet cautiously, creating as little movement as possible, in fear that it would wake Kim Jaejoong up.

Right when she was contemplating how to make her next move, the sound of a phone ringing broke the silence. Her heart nearly stopped. She did not know how she did it but she managed to hide the wallet under the blanket and pretended to be asleep just right before she felt him stir in his sleep.

“Hello?” He spoke into the phone. “Yes, tomorrow. What? That was not what we agreed..”

Slowly, the voice got softer and she waited for the sound of the door clicking. She is familiar with this. Whenever he gets a call, he would leave the hut for a while as if to avoid having her overhear the details.

This is her chance.

Slowly getting out of bed, she crept to the door and took a peep to make sure he is not too close by before starting to make her run for the only telephone booth she managed to catch a glimpse of on the way here. For the first time since her captivity, she finally feels that she is once again a step closer to Siwon.