Five

Simple

            Their first week had been a busy one. All of their teachers except for Jungsu and Mr. Shin saw fit to assign them massive amounts of homework. On top of that, Kai’s accident had caused the nurse to convince Kyungsoo to become the health room assistant, so his cleaning responsibility was transferred to Tao.

            Instead of being annoyed that he had to clean the house, he was happy.

            “They asked me,” Tao told Kris. “I think maybe they’re starting to like me.”

            “They definitely are,” Kris replied with a smile.

            “Tao,” Suho said, peeking his head into the living room, where Tao and Kris were kind of watching TV. “Can you go collect everyone’s laundry for Sehun and Xiumin to do?”

            “Okay,” Tao said shyly, giving Kris a tiny smile as he followed Suho out of the room. Kris sighed a breath of satisfaction. He honestly was happy that Tao was happy. He really didn’t want to see Tao cry again.

            Kai walked into the room and sat down with an exhale.

            “How’s your leg?” Kris asked.

            “Fine,” Kai said. “It’s almost healed and it doesn’t hurt at all anymore.”

            “That’s good,” Kris said. “You’ve been limping all week.”

            “Yeah, I can walk perfectly well now,” Kai replied with a smile.

            “That’ll make Tao feel better.”

            “Yeah. Anyway,” Kai said, “have you noticed anything with Sehun and Luhan? They’re like…they’re really close.”

            “Yeah. I noticed on the first day.”

            “You think they’re…” Kai began, prompting Kris to finish his sentence.

            “More than just roommates?”

            “More than just friends,” Kai clarified. “Yeah.”

            “Kind of,” Kris replied.

            “Do you…do you think that’s okay?” Kai asked. “I mean, they’re both guys…”

            “There’s no problem with it. I mean, if they like each other—theoretically, I mean, since we’re not sure if they even do—it’s totally fine.”

            “So two guys is okay?”

            “Yeah,” Kris said. “Why, do you not think so?”

            “No, I think it’s okay,” Kai replied thoughtfully. “Two guys is okay.”

            “You sound unsure.”

            “No! I’m sure,” Kai said. “I’m sure. But…if they’re like, a thing already, how did it happen? You don’t believe in love at first sight, do you?”

            “I do, in a way. But I think that with these two, it seems to me that they’ve known each other before.”

            “Kris?” Kai asked suddenly.

            “What?”

            “You don’t swing that way, do you?”

            “Are you still unsure that two guys is okay?”

            “No, I’m sure it’s okay. Just…do you?”

            “No,” Kris said. “Do you?”

            “I don’t…know. I don’t know,” Kai said, burying his face in his hands.

            “What do you mean?”

            “I don’t know,” Kai repeated.

            “That’s okay, you know,” Kris said. “You’ll figure it out eventually.”

            “I barely know you; why am I telling you this?” Kai said, his voice still muffled by his hands. Kris could see him blushing. “I don’t have anyone I can really tell.”

            “You can tell me, but you could tell Kyungsoo too. He seems to like you. He should be back soon, right?”

            “Uh, yeah, I—” Kai started as Baekhyun and Chanyeol barreled into the room.

            “Kai, Kai,” Chanyeol laughed, “Luhan wants to start cooking so you and Lay need to go get food.” Baekhyun cracked up.

            “What’s so funny?” Kris asked.

            “Nothing,” Chanyeol said, giving them a very unconvincing act of innocence.

            “Okay,” Kris said as Tao came back into the room.

            “I found the floor outside of Sehun’s room covered in marbles, so I cleaned them up,” Tao explained. “That’s why I took so lo—”

            “Awww,” Baekhyun groaned, and Chanyeol pouted too. “We were trying to make Luhan and Sehun trip when they come out.”

            “They’re in there together?” Kai asked, looking at Kris.

            “Well, yeah, they’re roommates,” Baekhyun said. Lay walked into the room, drying off his hair.

            “Come on, Kai, let’s go. And we should get something for breakfast. We already ran out of cereal this morning,” Lay said. Kai got up and walked towards the door. Kyungsoo opened it as he trudged in. Kai and Lay greeted him and Lay went out the door, Kai limping after him.

            “Omo, Kai, is your leg still not feeling better?” Kyungsoo asked.

            “No, it still hurts,” Kai said.

            “Maybe you shouldn’t go out,” Kyungsoo said.

            “I need someone else to come with me,” Lay said, “and anyway, Kai, your leg was fine earlier.”

            “No, it wasn’t,” Kai said quickly.

            “Kyungsoo, why don’t you go with them? Make sure Kai’s alright,” Kris suggested. Kai looked at Kris, who smiled at him.

            “Good idea,” Kyungsoo said. He followed Kai and Lay out the door.

            “What was that all about?” Baekhyun asked.

            “Yeah, I thought for sure Kai’s leg was already better,” Chanyeol agreed.

            “I thought so too,” Tao said worriedly.

            “It’s fine,” Kris laughed. “He’s just confused, that’s all.”

            “Confused about whether or not his leg hurts?” Chanyeol asked. “Because I’m pretty sure I’d know whether or not my leg hurt.”

            “Nah, not that.”

            “What then?”

            “He’s just confused.”

            “Okay, whatever,” Baekhyun said, shaking his head. “You guys want to watch a movie while we wait for dinner to be ready?”

            “Yes! I have a great one. Yo! Guys!” Chanyeol called. “We’re gonna watch a movie!” The rest of the boys scrambled into the room, and as soon as Sehun and Luhan sat down next to each other, Xiumin grabbed Sehun.

            “Oh no, you’ve been avoiding doing the laundry with me all day. It’s time to do it now. You’re not getting out of it this time,” Xiumin said, and Sehun looked put off.

            “Fine,” he said, glancing at Luhan before trudging out of the room after Xiumin.

            “What are we watching?” Chen asked.

            “I hope it’s good,” Suho said.

            “It is: Bongcheon-dong Ghost,” Chanyeol said.

            “Ghost?” Tao gulped.

            “Is it scary?” Chen asked

            “Of course it is!” Chanyeol cried. “It’s awesome though.” He started the DVD and before the actual movie, they watched the trailer while they waited for Sehun and Xiumin. They finally came back just as the movie began.

            By the time it started, Luhan was already latched to Sehun’s arm. The movie’s aura was dark and scary and gave the feeling that any moment, something was going to jump out at you.

            As soon as the ghost appeared, Kris knew it was time to stop the movie. Tears were spilling out of Tao’s eyes and his entire body had stiffened up.

            “Chanyeol, turn it off,” Kris said.

            “But it’s getting to—oh,” he said, seeing Tao’s terrified expression. “Yeah, okay.” The screen went black, but Tao was still crying and sitting perfectly rigid.

            “Tao? Tao, it’s okay, it’s just a story,” Kris said. “Tao, listen to me, it’s okay.” He gripped Tao’s shoulders, and Tao finally relaxed. He closed his eyes, letting several final tears fall.

            “I’m sorry,” he said in humiliation, casting his eyes down. “I don’t like ghosts.”

            “It’s okay,” Kris reassured him. “Look, Luhan’s scared too.” He pointed to Luhan, whose face was still buried in Sehun’s shoulder.

            “Tao, don’t worry, okay?” Suho said, Chen nodding beside him. “Here, let’s go wash off your face so that it doesn’t get puffy from the tears.” Suho led Tao out of the living room.

            “That was so cute,” Baekhyun said. “Tao is scared of ghosts and he likes shopping. Who would have guessed?”

            “Well, I’m glad you’ve gotten to know him now,” Kris said, and Baekhyun smiled.

            “I thought with that look of his, he was going to be completely manly and tough but…shopping,” Baekhyun laughed good-naturedly. “That’s adorable.”

           Cute. Adorable, Kris thought. It was reassuring to him that he wasn’t the only one who thought Tao was cute.



            Kris had always hated the fact that he got thirsty at night. But that night he’d never been more thankful for his spontaneous thirst.

            It was about three in the morning. He was on his way to get a glass of water from the kitchen when he noticed that the light in Tao’s room was on. He peeked into Tao’s room, where he saw Tao wrapped up in blankets, sitting on his bed. His eyes were bloodshot from lack of sleep.

            “Tao,” Kris said as he crept into Tao’s room. “Are you okay?”

            “I can’t sleep,” Tao said quietly.

            “Is it the movie?” Kris asked, sitting down next to Tao. Tao nodded.

            “I’m scared to be by myself,” he said.

            “It’s just a movie, it’s not going to happen to you,” Kris explained, but Tao shook his head.

            “I know. I can’t help it,” Tao mumbled. Kris bit his lip. Suddenly, he had an idea.

            “Hey, let’s get a futon from the linen closet and you can sleep with me and Lay tonight,” Kris suggested.

            Tao gave him the most grateful expression and nodded vigorously. He followed Kris out of the room (still adorably wrapped up in his blankets) and helped him set out the futon in the middle of Kris and Lay’s room. He got comfortable as Kris climbed into his own bed and turned off the lights (which hadn’t woken up Lay), and it wasn’t long before he heard Tao’s slow, steady breathing, telling Kris that he’d fallen asleep. 



 

A/N: So yay, update. If you haven't read Bongcheon-dong Ghost...well, let's just say I never got all the way through it because I'm really bad with scary things (kind of like Tao!). I'm not going to link it just in case I accidentally click it one day, but if you're stronghearted, just Google it up. Don't read it at night or by yourself. 

Anyway how'd you like my Kaisoo? I love them already~

@Galdy42: YAY I'm happy I can make you smile!

@BalancedCuppycake: I really want to make sure that everyone knows that I read and appreciate every comment that I get :)

@vanndee13: It's like they're meant to be...

@chigire: There will definitely be shopping at some point. Definitely.

@EXOluv95: I'm happy you're addicted :) I haven't quite figured out the pairings with Suho/Lay/Chen/Xiumin yet...I don't even know if I'll pair them up at all.

@WowF4ntasticBaby: Aw I'm so happy!

@AlwaysMe-: I'm thinking that sentence might have been a little harsh, but I'm glad nobody's called me out on it ^^;; I love Creepyeol.

@BlueStarLover: SHOPPING WITH KEY AND MIMI OMOOOOO YOU'RE MY HERO. I want to work that in so badly...oh, I hope I can fit it in...

@karinav915: I'm glad you think so :)

@ShaZam: You're right about that...I think that Kai isn't the only one who's confused.

@aznmusiklife: Oooh Laychen. I could work with that possibly.

@MariaNara: I'm so happy you like it!

@angelsmiles: I don't like Chen/Xiumin for the same reason I don't like Zhou Mi/Henry. I feel like a lot of the time they're paired because they're the Koreans in the Chinese group or the Chinese in the Korean group, you know? But yeah I kinda like Lay/Suho so I'm a little torn...

@SadisticRainbows: He just can kekekeke :)

@KyuMinLover123: I just...I can't like Chen/Xiumin right now. I just can't. Maybe I'm being stubborn.

@twinkletoe: Yay I love new readers <3 Thanks for liking this story :)

@kitty_kat: Omoooo everyone has different ideas for pairing up the last 4 boys. I can't choose!

@Claire: ME TOO :D

@fyrefox233: Yaysies you make me happy!

@xxjenjaexx: I'm happy you're reading and I'm happy you like Taoris!

@s7herry: Kekekekeke Suho is like Onew: I pair him with everyone.

@Nakonoshi: I'm happy you like the couples~! Yay.

@Renzei27: Thanks for reading!

@aegyoXin: He is so cute...golden bun <3

@kawaiikimbap: I'm actually thinking of just not pairing up the last 4 boys. I mean, how likely is it that in one room every single guy is gay and they all fall for each other? Not likely. I'm thinking of just leaving it as is...4 pairings is enough to handle. Also that gif. BROMANCE. I love how everyone cares for the maknae...brings tears to my eyes ;~;

@rosebutterfly: I'm happy you like the pairings too!

@Lee_HyunJae: Love~

@joanne200969: I think I'll save diva Tao for another story. Not making any promises that he won't appear in this one though~

@dylansayshi: I'm glad you like the characterizations <3 But I don't think I'll include Chenmin, just because of my weird reasons :/

@JinnyJ: YAY new readers <3 I'm glad you like it so far!

@silverphoenix: Kekekekeke <3

@mj_a_lover: YinYueTai? I've heard that one's like the besttttt I still need to watch it though~ I'm so behind!

@cute_lulu: Thanks~ Is your username a reference to Luhan's adorableness? I like :)

@MsChocoChan: You're so right :)

@pripri: Yayyyyy I'm happy you like this~

♥ Exie