Thirteen

Simple

            “Kris. Kris. Wake up,” Lay said, poking him in the shoulder. “Wake up.”

            “Whaaaaat,” Kris groaned. “What time is it even?”

            “It’s eight-thirty. Get up,” Lay persisted.

            “Why?” Kris muttered into his pillow.

            “Tao’s waiting for you,” Lay said in annoyance. Kris bolted up and smacked his head against Lay’s.

            “Owww,” Lay whimpered, clutching his forehead.

            “Ah, sorry,” Kris apologized, rubbing the place where the impact had occurred. But the pain wasn’t really on his mind. He jumped out of bed, suddenly wide awake, and threw open the door to his bedroom, only to find Tao standing outside.

            “Oh, hi,” Tao said, obviously surprised that Kris had suddenly appeared.

            “Hi,” Kris replied with a smile, “did you sleep well?”

            “Yes,” Tao said. “Did you?”

            “Yeah.”

            “That’s good.”

            Their relationship was awkward. Kris couldn’t deny it even though he wanted to.

            Lay trudged out of the room, still holding his hand to his forehead.

            “Kris, put a shirt on. Tao looks uncomfortable,” he said flatly and continued to walk to the kitchen.

            “No, no!” Tao said, blushing furiously, “it’s not…I mean, I’m not…”

            “Ah,” Kris said, his face turning pink as well. He had been in such a hurry to see Tao that he’d completely forgotten that he was wearing just pants. He rushed back into the room and threw on the first shirt he could find, then quickly returned, where Tao was still standing there, looking at the ground in embarrassment.

            “Sorry,” Kris mumbled.

            “No, it’s fine. I do the same thing,” Tao replied in a very unconvincing offhand tone. Kris cleared his throat awkwardly.

            “So…so…what do you want to do today?”

            “I don’t know, whatever you want to do,” Tao replied. Suddenly, Sehun and Luhan came trudging out of their room, completely not noticing Tao and Kris. Luhan’s arm was wrapped around Sehun’s waist and Sehun’s hand was delicately placed on Luhan’s shoulder. Both of their eyes were still partly closed, evidently due to them having just awakened. Luhan stopped Sehun a few feet outside the kitchen door and swung his other arm around Sehun’s waist as well, both of them still completely unaware of Tao and Kris’s presence.

            “Sehunnie, I love you,” Luhan said sleepily, looking up at Sehun’s face.

            “I love you too, Lu,” Sehun replied. Kris was surprised to hear such an emphatic statement coming from Sehun; it was the first time he’d heard Sehun speak in anything but a monotone.

            And then something happened that neither Tao nor Kris expected or could have prepared themselves for.

            Luhan reached up and kissed Sehun straight on the lips, and Sehun responded by hugging Luhan around the neck and pulling him closer, deepening their kiss.

            It would have been a lovely moment, perhaps if it had been in a movie. But it was extremely awkward for Kris and Tao to be standing there watching it happen, almost as if in slow motion. Tao was looking nervously to the side, still bright red.

            By the time Sehun and Luhan finally broke apart, both Kris and Tao were silently watching their own feet.

            “Good morning,” Luhan smiled breathlessly. Sehun gave him the biggest grin Kris had ever seen as the two walked into the kitchen, remaining unaware that they had just caused immense awkwardness between Kris and Tao.

            “Uh…” Kris said uncomfortably, shuffling nervously.

            “They…they must really love each other…” Tao said in a hollow voice.

            “Yeah,” Kris nodded. “Listen, we should do something easy today. Something simple.”

            Tao looked up at him, still slightly pink, but he smiled.

            “Okay,” he replied. “Ah…I think I have an idea…”

            “Go! Go ahead!” Kris said eagerly. “What is it?”

            “Well, I know it’s not really…a thing that…you’d think of when…” Tao began, struggling with his words. “We’re going on a…an outing, and this isn’t a typical…one of those kinds of outings…”

            Kris understood his meaning, even if Tao didn’t want to say the word “date.” Kris didn’t mind. He could wait until Tao was ready.

            “Don’t worry, I get it,” Kris said kindly. “What did you have in mind?”

            “There’s this book I’ve wanted to read at the library…we could go there. They have a café too.”

“You wanted to read a book?” Kris asked. Reading was, in Kris’s mind, a solitary activity.

            “We could read it together!” Tao clarified quickly. “You know, I sit next to you and we read it out loud or something.”

            Kris grinned. He could already imagine it. It sounded adorable. He and Tao, sitting next to each other, reading a book about who knows what…he liked the sound of that.

            “I like that idea. I’ll just take a quick shower and then we can go, okay? Have you eaten yet?”

            “I didn’t eat anything yet,” Tao responded.

            “Then we can go together,” Kris smiled. “I’ll be like fifteen minutes, okay?”

            “Okay,” Tao said, turning up his lips ever so slightly, just how Kris was used to. It was beautiful.

           Kris stepped into the shower, cleaning himself as quickly as possible. He could have sworn it was record time.

            He got dressed, combed his hair, and ran out to meet Tao.

            “Let’s go!” he said. He opened the front door for Tao and Tao stepped outside.

            “Go where?” Lay asked, peeking out of the kitchen door.

            “Library date,” Kris said quietly and triumphantly. Lay grinned at him and gave him a thumbs-up. Kris followed Tao out the door with a smile on his face.

            “It’s not too far,” Tao explained. “It’s a little bit down the road in the opposite direction from school. Near a convenience store.”

            “How did you find it?” Kris asked, and Tao gave him a skeptical glance.

            “There is such thing as the internet, you know,” Tao said with a small chuckle. “I just looked it up.”

            “Oh, right,” Kris laughed. “I didn’t think of that.” He watched as Tao stepped onto the curb and walked on the very edge, putting one foot in front of the other. It was cute, the way he walked. Every now and then he’d stumble, but his balance was incredible for the most part. Kris figured it must be Tao’s wushu training.

            Kris smelled something familiar.

            “Are you wearing the cologne I got you?” Kris asked suddenly. Tao fell off the curb and looked at Kris, wide-eyed.

            “Uh…yes,” he replied shyly. “Thank you for getting it for me.”

            “It suits you really well,” Kris said. Tao smiled.

            “Thank you.”

            “Is that the library there?” Kris asked, pointing to a modern looking, yet welcoming building.

            “Yes!” Tao said. “Let’s go in! We can have breakfast and we can read!” Kris chuckled. It was probably the cutest idea of a date he’d ever heard of. It was so not date-like that he couldn’t help but think that this was Tao’s first time going out with someone.

            The library was lovely on the inside. There was hardly anyone there, it being so early, but it was warm looking and the café was painted in pastel colors. It had cushy-looking chairs and loveseats and even couches. The food in the display was all French-style, and the smells emanating from behind the counter were heavenly.

            “Let’s get the book and then we can eat while we read,” Tao said, already looking excited.

            “Which book is it?” Kris asked.

            “It’s called ‘Windows of Winter’ and I’ve heard it’s really good,” Tao explained, leading Kris to the fantasy section of the library. “Ah, here it is!” He pulled out a thick blue book. “Let’s take turns reading a chapter. We should get through at least the first three.”

            “But first let’s get something to eat. I’m starving,” Kris suggested, and Tao nodded. They walked over to the café, the smells enticing them even more.

            “I guess I’ll take an Americano…and a croissant. Tao, what do you want?”

            “Hot chocolate! And…that thing!”

            “It’s a brioche,” Kris explained.

            “It looks good,” Tao said happily. Kris paid for their food and Tao started eating his bread before they even got to the table.

            They sat down in a loveseat, and Kris was more than excited. Tao opened the book as Kris took a sip of his coffee.

            “Chapter one,” Tao began.

            The story was interesting, Kris had to admit. It was about a force of humans fighting off tons of evil mythical creatures and the people behind the habitual attacks, all set in a cold, mountainous region. There was lots of sword fighting, and Kris could see why Tao liked the story.

            By the time Tao had finished reading chapter one out loud, they had both finished all their food and drinks. Tao was excited about the story and made Kris start reading immediately.

            Kris was about a third of the way into chapter two when suddenly Tao’s head dropped onto Kris’s shoulder. He turned, and sure enough, Tao was fast asleep. He had the absolute cutest expression on his face as he slept, his lips parted slightly and his eyes closed serenely.

            Kris leaned his head on Tao’s. Tao’s hair was soft and it smelled like kiwi, which just happened to be one of Kris’s favorite smells.

            Or maybe it was one of his favorite smells because that’s what Tao’s hair smelled like.

            He closed his eyes, just breathing in the scent of Tao’s shampoo and enjoying the blissful moment.

            It wasn’t long until he fell asleep either, Tao’s head still resting on his shoulder and their fingers just barely touching. 



 

A/N: Hunhan moment~ Y'all have been asking for it and Disneyland was SO good to that couple...unlike a certain one I know of. Credit for the idea of a library date goes to the lovely tarp_walls ♥ I love youuuu~

Anyway, I apologize a lot, but I'm not going to reply to comments today either...because of the fact that THE FREE KPOP CONCERT'S LIVESTREAM STARTS IN 5 MINUTES AND I AM GOING TO WATCH IT. YOU SHOULD TOO :D

I love you guys~

♥ Exie