Two

Simple

            Tao quickly turned around, so as to not let Kris see his tears, but it was too late.

            “Why…why are you crying?” Kris asked in a gentle tone of voice he didn’t think he was capable of producing.

            “I’m not,” Tao sniffled.

            “You made Luhan cry,” Kris informed him, but Tao didn’t respond. Kris sat down on the chair next to Tao’s bed. “You know, you really shouldn’t be crying. It’s not as if you’re the victim here.”

            Tao looked up at him, his dark eyes red and swollen. Kris was surprised when his heart shook at that pitiful expression on Tao’s face.

            “Why are you crying?” Kris asked again in the same gentle voice.

            “I’m not,” Tao said again.

            “I can see the tears coming out of your eyes. It’s no use lying to me when the evidence is right there. What’s the problem?”

            “Nothing,” Tao said stubbornly.

            “Fine,” Kris replied, standing up. “If you want to eat, come now.” He went back into the dining room, where the others were quietly eating their rice. When Kris reappeared, they all jumped up to ask him what had happened.

            “Did he try to hurt you?”

            “What did he say?”

            “You’re still alive?”

            “Yes, I’m still alive, Chanyeol,” Kris said. “He didn’t say anything.”

            “Is he going to eat?” Sehun asked, his hand still protectively on Luhan’s shoulder.

            “Doubt it,” Kris replied, serving himself some rice and kimchi. The rest of them sat down slowly.

            “I hope he doesn’t,” Luhan squeaked, and Sehun patted his shoulder reassuringly.

            “Just eat,” Kris said, and the rest of them obeyed.

            “Come on, Kris,” Lay put in, “don’t you get all scary on us too.”

            “Ha, sorry,” Kris laughed hollowly.

            “Uh, so,” Kyungsoo cleared his throat awkwardly. “Uh, Lay beat Xiumin.”

            “Yeah but I’m going to beat him after dinner.”

            “School starts tomorrow, don’t you think we should sleep?” Suho asked.

            “It’s our last night of freedom!” Chen cried. “Why would we sleep when we could party?”

            “A party with twelve guys isn’t much of a party,” Lay laughed, and Chen looked sheepish.

            “This is really good, Luhan,” Sehun remarked, and Luhan smiled.

            “I’m glad you think so,” he replied with a grin, his tear-streaked face turning bright again.

            When they had finished dinner, Suho made everyone bring their things to the kitchen so that he, Kyungsoo and Chen could clean the dishes, earning him the nickname “umma.”

            Kris didn’t pay much attention to any of this. In fact, Tao was really the only thing on his mind. Tao’s tears were curious to him, and even though he knew he shouldn’t feel sorry for Tao, he couldn’t help it. There was something about the depressing expression on his face that made Kris want to change it.

            “I’m going to bring Tao some food,” Kris finally announced to the kitchen. The three boys there looked aghast.

            “What? Why?” Chen asked.

            “He’s probably hungry,” Kris shrugged.

            “He’s going to pick a fight,” Kyungsoo warned, but Kris shook his head.

            “He didn’t last time I went in there,” Kris explained.

            “Well, if anyone can take him on, it would be you. But be careful,” Suho warned. Kris waved nonchalantly as he left the kitchen with a bowl of fried rice and a pair of chopsticks.

            He opened Tao’s door carefully and was surprised to see a sword swish right past his face. Kris stepped back as Tao’s fierce expression suddenly turned shocked.

            “Sorry,” he mumbled as he looked down at his feet again.

            “I brought you some food,” Kris said. Tao looked up questioningly, as if he was surprised. In all fairness, it would make sense for him to be surprised, considering Kris had told him before that he’d have to come out of his room if he wanted to eat.

            “Thanks,” Tao said quietly, taking the offered bowl. He didn’t sit down to eat, however, and just looked at Kris, as if he was willing him to leave.

            Kris wasn’t going to leave.

            “Tao, you know the other guys are scared of you, right?” Kris asked. Tao’s eyes widened, and Kris was surprised to notice that he’d somehow become almost cute.

            “Scared?” he asked.

            “Yeah, they’re scared of you.”

            “But why?”

            “All you do is glare, Tao,” Kris said bluntly. “And you spoke really harshly to Luhan back there.”

            “I did?”

            “I mean…” Kris paused. Had Tao spoken harshly? Or was it just the way it sounded? “No, I guess you didn’t, really…” Tao looked at him, a questioning expression on his face. “Why don’t you start over with them?”

            “I don’t want to,” Tao said shyly, looking down at his feet again.

            “Why not?” Kris asked.

            “I’m…scared.”

            “Wait…you’re scared? Of what?” Kris asked. He would have scoffed, but Tao looked so sincerely frightened that Kris just couldn’t. Maybe Tao wasn’t the same guy everyone thought he was.

            “They all hate me,” Tao mumbled. Kris sat down on Tao’s bed, and Tao sat down on the other end, still looking at his feet. Kris couldn’t help but notice his interesting, cat-like eyes and his elegant lips that formed a natural pout. And it was almost worrisome to Kris how dark Tao’s eyes were, because upon looking closer, it seemed like he had circles under his beautiful eyes.

            Beautiful? Kris shook his head, trying to get the thought out. I mean interesting, he told himself.

            “I don’t think you have anything to be afraid of,” Kris explained, but Tao just shook his head. “Tao, you seem like a good kid, so I’m not going to give up on you,” Kris said determinedly.

            Tao looked up at Kris, his eyes full of wonder and hesitation, and the adjective “beautiful” found its way into Kris’s mind once again.

            “Just…let’s…come on,” Kris said, suddenly having trouble finding his words. “I’ll be there with you.” He stood up, looking at Tao expectantly.

            Tao stood up with uncertainty.

            “It’s okay, Tao, I’ll be there.”

            “They’re going to say things about me,” Tao said, his voice laced with worry.

            “I won’t let them say anything to hurt you. I promise,” Kris explained gingerly. He walked out of the room, looking back every few seconds to make sure that Tao was following him. He entered the living room with Tao behind him a few paces.

            “Hey, guys,” he said loudly, and all the boys looked up, even Lay and Xiumin, who’d been engrossed in Mortal Kombat.

            “Kris!” Suho cried, “what’d he—”

            Tao appeared shyly behind Kris.

            “Omo,” Luhan squeaked, scooting closer to Sehun. Kyungsoo made a small, strangled-sounding noise, and Chen and Kai glanced at each other quickly. Before long, all eyes were glued onto Kris and Tao.  

            “Guys, I don’t think you’ve been properly introduced to Tao,” Kris said smartly. All the boys had gone silent. “Tao, introduce yourself again.”

            “I…I’m Tao…” Tao said extremely quietly, looking at his feet as he always did. “I like w-wushu.”

            “Wushu,” Kris repeated. “You know, the Chinese martial art in which they use swords sometimes?” Tao nodded, confirming Kris’s words.

            “Oh,” Chanyeol said, glancing at Baekhyun, who was still unable to pull his eyes away from the two boys in the doorway.

            “Can I go now?” Tao said so quietly that only Kris could hear him. Kris looked back at him.

            “Why don’t we sit in the kitchen while you eat?” he suggested, and Tao timidly nodded. Kris looked meaningfully back at the group of still-silent boys and then turned around, leading Tao into the kitchen.

            Tao sat down quietly and Kris quickly went back to Tao’s room to get his rice, which was somehow still warm. He handed the bowl to Tao, who started to eat.

            “Hey,” Kris said, “I can’t help but think you seem a little…guarded around us. How come…how come you’re here? At this school, I mean.”

            “Guys like them,” Tao responded softly without looking up. “It’s…”

            “Go on, Tao, you can tell me,” Kris coaxed. “This is just you and me, okay?” Tao nodded slowly.

            “I…they always called me ‘violent gege’ at school because of my wushu and my mean look…” Tao explained. Kris nodded encouragingly. Tao took a breath and continued. “They…they would say mean things about me when they thought I couldn’t hear them…but I could. They i-ignored me and…and whenever I approached them they’d all leave as fast as possible. I was…I was so lonely.”

            Kris could have sworn his heart melted right then and there.

            “My parents thought that coming to a smaller school would help me make friends but…it was exactly the same.”

            “No, it wasn’t,” Kris cut in. Tao gave him the stare he was slowly becoming addicted to. “I’m going to make sure you won’t be lonely while you’re here.”

            “There’s nothing you can do about the others, though,” Tao said in defeat.

            “It doesn’t matter. They’ll come around eventually,” Kris said confidently, flashing Tao a smile. Tao looked back at him but didn’t return the grin.

            There came a knock on the kitchen door, and Luhan poked his head in.

            “Kris…Tao…” he said, and Kris could see Sehun standing outside the kitchen, waiting. “I was wrong, Tao,” Luhan continued. “I completely overreacted, and, well…what I mean to say is, I’m sorry for not giving you a chance.”

            Tao glanced at Kris for reassurance. Kris gave him a slight smile and Tao turned back to Luhan, nodding.

            “Me too,” he said softly. Luhan smiled and backed out of the kitchen.

            “He’s like a different person,” they heard Luhan telling Sehun. “Somehow I can’t see him as scary anymore. Kris was right about him.”

            Tao turned to Kris with wide eyes, and for the first time, they looked like they were shining.

            “See? They’re already warming up to you. And if Luhan likes you, you can be sure that the rest of them will in no time.”

            “Thank you,” Tao said suddenly, his lips turning up only very slightly.

            “You’re welcome,” Kris replied as he felt his heart skip a beat. 

 


A/N: Guys. Guys. I am beyond flattered. I started this on Monday and this already has more subscribers than a fic I've updated every day since Valentine's day. I am so thankful to you all already. My friend was like "ew Tao looks like a frog" and I was like "NO" so I decided to update this because of my love for that boy. ALSO Kyungsoo = D.O. if you didn't realize. Anyway this AN is going to be really long so I'll start replying to your 30 some comments now~

@kitty_kat: Tao + snuggles = cuteness overload.

@emiChi: Exactly what I was going for. All the fics I've read have him being that violent martial artist that nobody can tame, but like...he's so so cute.

@aznmusiklife: Thank you!

@Nakonoshi: Wah, thanks for the long comment :)

@pimpbean: I think he's too sensitive too...that's the only problem I had when writing this. But I'm happy you like it anyway!

@Renzei27: Thank you <3

@deerkey: Yes! Right away~

@SweetBerry: I would do almost anything to hug this boy.

@Claire: Awwwwww~ thanks :)

@chigire: THANK YOU <3 I'm glad you like it!

@2pmSuperJunior: Thank you!!

@UndergroundMemories: Yeahhhh~

@OneTimeSherlock: Yes! Thanks for reading my other fics too~

@Aimee_: They'll get together eventually, worry not!

@BoomBoomExplosion: Thanks~!

@CaterpillarWishes: Thank youuuuuu <3

@LingView: Wah I'm so happy!

@kawaiikimbap: OMO YOUR BIAS? Wahhhh you're Onew biased AND Tao biased just like me?!?!?!

@karinav915: Omo! Thanks for reading!

@DancerTae: Thank you!

@Reddawn: Ah I thought it was kind of short as chapters go, but I'm glad you're satisfied with the length (that's what she said).

@Tofu_holic: I LOVE SUHO hahahah

@BlueStarLover: Thank you thank you! Tao's aegyo is adorable.

@AlteaAuroraRia: Thank you for reading~

@mj_a_lover: Thank you!!

@Just_Me: Wah, trust me, it's felt like SO LONG since I last updated this.

@allison9087: Tadah!

@Futuristic: Aww'd out loud? Wahhhhh makes me happy!

@fyrefox233: Oh my gosh I need so much more Taoris. Tumblr cannot satisfy me.

@JangDaeByul: Thank you <3

♥ Exie

P.S. Seriously I love you guys.