Eighteen

Simple

 

            Kris awoke to a delicious smell wafting into his room on Thursday morning. He sat up groggily, looking around. Lay was nowhere to be found. Kris stood up and opened his door, looking outside, and he saw Luhan dart into the kitchen.

            Well. If Luhan was awake at that hour, then something had to be up. He went to check Tao’s room before investigating the amazing scent that was emanating from the kitchen.

            Tao was gone as well. It was a conspiracy.

            “Hey, guys,” Kris said in annoyance as he stomped into the kitchen, but he was interrupted.

            “Happy birthday, Kris!” they all cried, and Tao ran into his arms. He hugged Tao with all his might as he looked around the kitchen. They’d prepared his favorite breakfast from when he used to live in Canada: pancakes with maple syrup. Where they’d managed to procure the maple syrup, he had no clue, but he was beyond touched that they even knew he liked it.

            “Guys, this is awesome,” Kris grinned. “This is awesome. Thank you so much.”

            “You’re welcome,” Chanyeol said brightly, and Kris noticed that he was standing comfortably next to Baekhyun again.

            “Happy birthday,” Tao said cutely up at Kris. Kris grinned back at him.

            “Did you tell them about how I liked maple syrup?” he asked Tao.

            “Yeah,” Tao replied. “Are you happy?”

            “Of course I am! Everyone got up for me; this is great. I’m happy!” Kris affirmed, nodding vigorously.

            “Is everyone ready to eat?” Luhan asked. “Baekhyun and I are almost done cooking the pancakes.”

            “I’m not sure they’ll taste like they do in Canada, Kris, but I hope they’re good,” Baekhyun said.

            “I’m sure they’ll be great, Baekhyun,” Kris reassured him. “Let’s sit; I’m starving!” They all moved into the dining room and took their respective chairs. Even the dining room had been decorated for Kris’s birthday. It was all so nice of them.

            “Happy birthday!” Luhan, Baekhyun, and Chanyeol cried, bringing the food into the dining room. All the boys grabbed pancakes and smothered them in syrup, following Kris. He bit into the first one and smiled.

            “It’s perfect, guys!” Kris said, giving them a thumbs-up and taking another bite. They all looked relieved. “Thanks for giving them the idea, Tao,” Kris grinned at him.

            “I thought you’d like it,” Tao replied happily, and Kris nodded.

            “I do,” he replied.

            After breakfast, everyone left Tao and Kris alone in Kris’s room, probably on purpose, since it was Kris’s birthday, after all.

            And yeah, the thought of having Tao all to himself and doing whatever they pleased did cross Kris’s mind, but he didn’t seriously consider it, because it was Tao. Innocent, trusting Tao.

            Kris contented himself with cupping his hands around Tao’s smooth cheeks and leaning in to kiss him. Kris pressed his tongue lightly against Tao’s lips at first, as if asking permission, but when Tao’s mouth stayed shut, Kris pressed his tongue a little harder, and a little harder. Tao’s lips remained firmly pressed together.

            “Tao,” Kris said softly, “don’t you want to—”

            But Kris saw Tao’s eyes.

            No, he didn’t want to. He hadn’t wanted to all week and he still didn’t want to and he probably wouldn’t want to for a long time.

            Kris knew he shouldn’t complain. Just over a month ago, Tao still firmly believed that love between two men was unnatural. He’d stiffen up when touched. Just over three weeks ago, Tao was unsure about kissing Kris at all. It was amazing they’d gotten that far.

            But he couldn’t help it. He wanted Tao but couldn’t have him. It was only natural that Kris was becoming impatient.

            “I’m still not ready,” Tao answered. “I’m sorry.”

            “It’s fine,” Kris shrugged. “I don’t mind.”

            “Maybe one day!” Tao said earnestly, “but it still sort of…I mean, this has nothing to do with you, but it still sort of freaks me out. You know…to have someone else’s…tongue…” Tao trailed off, bright red.

            Kris kissed Tao quickly, not forcing his tongue into Tao’s obviously unwelcoming mouth.

            “It’s okay, I said,” Kris mumbled, kissing Tao’s cheek sweetly.

            “Oh! I almost forgot. Xiumin and Lay said they wanted to take everyone to the club tomorrow night to celebrate properly, since we can’t today.”

            “The club?” Kris asked, fiddling with Tao’s fingers.

            “Yeah. There’s one a few blocks down from the library you and I went to. Apparently it’s good.” Tao looked up at Kris.

            Kris gulped. Back at his old school, he hadn’t exactly been the subdued type. It was part of the reason he was sent to this “alternative” school in the first place. And alcohol had been his weakness.

            It had led to many more than just a few black outs, more than just a few times vomiting in the restroom, more than just a few one-night stands, and more than just a few headaches that lasted far longer than they should have.

            But he knew it would be okay. It had been almost a year, after all. He was a completely new person. He had Tao. He could only drink a few, and he’d be fine.

            “Okay,” he said.


 


 

 

            The blaring music reminded Kris of his old life. He thought he’d suppressed those memories after all the rehab sessions, but apparently not. The smell of alcohol was stronger than ever, and the music’s heavy beat was louder than ever.

            The boys went over to the bar.

            “Shot for the birthday boy!” Xiumin cried as the bartender handed them each a shot of vodka. Lay, Xiumin, and Chen downed theirs immediately, and Sehun and Kris followed. Even Suho drank his, but Tao left his untouched. Kris drank it for him.

            “Birthday boy, huh?” the bartender grinned. “How about a beer on the house? It’s our best.”

            Kris remembered enough of his old life that he should never refuse a free beer. That’s just how it was. Free alcohol was not to be refused.

            He graciously accepted.

            Bottle in hand, he could feel the alcohol’s buzz after a few minutes. He’d felt the buzz before. He wasn’t drunk, not yet, and he wasn’t planning on getting drunk.

            But after finishing the beer, he wasn’t so sure anymore.

            “Tao,” he said sloppily. “Let’s dance.” Tao eyed him carefully as Kris took his hand and led him to the dance floor. He thought vaguely that his alcohol tolerance had decreased since the last time he drank, but it didn’t really register.

            “Wah, Kris, you’re here!” he heard a familiar voice say. He turned around to see Saemi bouncing up and down to the music. She looked different. Prettier. More attractive, perhaps. Maybe it was the makeup she was wearing or the tight dress that accentuated her curves.

            “Hey,” he grinned, and she smiled back, her lipgloss glimmering in the strobe lights.

            He felt Tao tug on the hem of his shirt, and before turning back to his boyfriend, he winked at Saemi. If he hadn’t been drunk, he’d probably have realized just how disgusting that particular gesture was.

            “I think we should go,” Tao said.

            “What?” Kris asked loudly.

            “I think we should go!” Tao yelled. “I think you’re drunk!”

            “I’m not drunk,” Kris shouted back, “I know what being drunk’s like. I’m not.”

            Tao just looked at Kris in worry, but Kris grinned at him. He took Tao’s lithe waist in his hands, and before long, his fingers were roaming up and down Tao’s sides, finally the waistband of Tao’s pants.

            “Stop,” Tao said angrily.

            “Come on,” Kris laughed.

            “No, I don’t want this,” Tao said. “I don’t—”

            Kris cut him off, kissing him roughly and messily, pushing his tongue in Tao’s mouth with violence.

            Tao pushed him away forcefully.

            “I said no,” Tao cried, his eyes swimming with tears. Kris grabbed his hand as Tao turned to leave, but Tao shook off Kris’s grip as he stalked off.

            “,” Kris muttered.

            “Need a partner?” Saemi said flirtatiously, sidling up to Kris. She moved closer to him, her body flush against his as she swayed her hips to the beat of the music.

            And suddenly she kissed him. Her kiss was just as hungry as Kris had been for Tao’s, and her lip gloss stuck to his lips like honey.

            The thing about kissing Saemi was that he didn’t have to wait like he did with Tao.

            And waiting was something he really didn’t want to do. He kissed her back sloppily, the taste of alcohol thick on her tongue. Her kiss was different than Tao’s. In his drunken stupor, Kris couldn’t place why.

            Suddenly he heard a glass shatter. He broke apart from Saemi to see Lay, Xiumin, and Tao standing there. Lay looked disgusted, Xiumin’s mouth was agape and Tao’s expression horrified.

            Even though the music was deafening, he could suddenly hear Tao as if they were the only two people in a perfectly silent room.

            “I thought you were different,” Tao choked, “but you’re just like everyone else.”

 


A/N: Oh dear.

Selected comments only today because I'm tired.

@tarp_walls: HERE ANSWER. CAR RACING OKAY.

@Fandom22: It was one of the most fun chapters to write too. Who knew swimming lessons could be so interesting?

@mj_a_lover: Yes! The kiss wasn't perfect but it was good and happy and yay.

@13aholic: Chanbaek is coming soon, worry not!

@BalancedCuppycake: My sister is 14 and can't ride a bike either, and it doesn't look like she's going to learn any time soon kekekeke.

@BlueStarLover: Just like...every Taoris picture ever. I love it.

@angelsmiles: Lololololol I like that. THEY KISSSSSSSED.

@ichiu11: I ship Lay with Kris mostly, actually, so Lay won't have a romance in this fic. Sorry~

@Nakonoshi: Baekyeol is okay now :) I'll write them soon. Slow and steady wins the race, so they say :)

@Busker: Kyungsuho is acceptable. I read an AWESOME Kyungsuho fic the other day. 

@MsChocoChan: Make sure a lifeguard is around though!

@MeuluPN: Welcome~ Thanks for reading! Don't worry, more fluff will come back in the coming chapters. 

@lunaticcc: Ahhh I'm not replying to all the comments today I feel bad :( But thank you. I'm glad you like this so far!

@maktaemint: Ohhhh that must have been a lovely first kiss. I have yet to have mine, actually hahaha. And I'm already 18.5 years old! D:

@Shilohin: You don't know how much that means to me! Thank you so much <3 I hope you continue reading. 

@dark_heart: Yup, Exie's the name!

@AsianReputation: Au contraire, Baekyeol is just getting started!

@You_Love: Oooooh you follow my tumblr? Thank you! I'm glad you like it. 

♥ Exie