Chapter 6

Taking Chances



MONTH 1, DAY 14.

Sunggyu slowly woke up the birds chirping on a beautiful afternoon. He shuffled around under the covers, trying to tell himself to go back to sleep. "Woohyun," he groaned. "Woohyun."

There was no response heard from his best friend. "Woohyun?" He spoke a little louder. There was still no response. "Woohyun!" He yelled Woohyun's name this time. No response. Did everyone leave him alone in the dorm?

Sunggyu stood up by himself from Woohyun's bed slowly. He still had that excruciating pain in his back and in a few of his joints. "Agh," he groaned to himself as he finally stood up.

Before he could fix the bed sheets, he spotted something odd. There was a small piece of paper that was folded, and stuck on to the pillow that Woohyun laid in. Sunggyu curiously picked it up and unfolded it open.

Good morning, hyung~ ^^

You probably noticed that the dorm is empty… and that we're all not here…

Don't worry, we'll be back soon! We're just buying ice cream for you and the rest of us. Breakfast is in the kitchen! Made by me~

♥, Woohyunnie.


A small curve formed in Sunggyu's lips. He chuckled at his best friend's witty letter. He couldn't exactly put his finger on how to describe their relationship now. Were they still best friends? Or.. were they something more than that, like, boyfriends? He didn't have the answer to that.

The leader placed the letter inside his sweat pant's pockets. He headed his way to the fish tank where his little friend swam. It was still swimming happily around the plastic rocks and plants. Sunggyu tapped on the glass lightly and smiled. "Hello!" Sunggyu greeted at the fish. He poured in tiny flakes in which the fish engulfed.

It was a little quiet and really boring without everybody causing chaos in the dorm. It made Sunggyu feel lonesome. It felt like no one was there for him.

Sunggyu stepped out of his bedroom and to the kitchen for his breakfast/lunch. When he arrived, there was a big bowl by the counter waiting for him to eat. He snatched the bowl hungrily. Sunggyu examined the contents of the bowl before he placed it in his mouth. It didn't look normal to him, but since the guy he loved made it, he took a spoon full and dropped it in his mouth.

------------------------------------

"What should we get?" Dongwoo asked, as he looked at each tub with different flavors. He his lips excitedly. He wanted to buy each and every one and just eat it all to himself.

"Make sure you get chocolate, hyung~" Hoya reminded Dongwoo. He had his arm around Dongwoo's shoulder as they were choosing the ice cream flavors.

Woohyun was looking at the two, closely analyzing them. I have a feeling they both have feelings for each other.. Dongwoo always blushes like that when he's around someone he likes. Hoya's never this flirty unless he's with a cute girl, or something. He then suddenly remembered the thought of Sunggyu and how peaceful and cute he looked this morning when he was sound. He didn't have the will power to wake him up.

He continually played with his car keys in is hands. He was still looking at Dongwoo and Hoya who were ordering the ice cream for them. Woohyun sighed. He couldn't imagine how awkward it would be when the two confess their love for each other.

Then he turned to his left side to find Myungsoo, Sungyeol, and Sungjong all gathered up in a table. "Say Ah, Myungie!" Sungyeol whined, placing a plastic spoon in front of Myungsoo's mouth. Myungsoo shot an evil look an Sungyeol and shook his head. "Come on~" Sungyeol encouraged his best friend. "Look! Sungjongie can do it!" Woohyun and Myungsoo both watched as Sungyeol spoon-fed Sungjong the ice cream. Woohyun could easily tell that Myungsoo had felt a wave of jealousy run through him but he tried to keep it to himself. "Hyung! What flavor do you want?" Hoya asked.

Woohyun snapped out of his train of thought, and looked at the two. "Sunggyu and I will just share Vanilla. With gummy bears," he replied. "Make sure you tell them to put a lot of gummer bears, arasso?"

"Arasso," both Dongwoo and Hoya said together. They leaned on the counter, pointing out the different flavors and toppings that were requested by them and the other members.

Woohyun sat by himself on a table. He suddenly felt a small vibration coming from his phone. He received a text from Sunggyu.

From: Sunggyu ^^♥
I have no idea what I just devoured, but it was daebak. Gomawo, Woohyunnie~^^


Woohyun laughed at the text, and quickly replied back.

To: Sunggyu ^^♥
YAH~ I'm glad you liked it, hyung! Just wait until we come back home. I bought us vanilla with gummy bears to share. ^o^


"Let's go, hyung!" Sungjong said, pulling Woohyun's arm. "We're finished and we got so much icecream~"

Woohyun nooded, and stood up from his chair. He helped carry the ice cream, and went out the exit along with the rest of the members.

----------------------------------------------------

Sunggyu was lying down on the main room's cold wooden floor on his back. He had his phone on his side, waiting for Woohyun's reply. Suddenly, there was a small ding! that came out from his phone. He picked it up excitedly, and read the text.

From: Woohyunnie^^
YAH~ I'm glad you liked it, hyung! Just wait until we come back home. I bought us vanilla with gummy bears to share. ^o^


He suddenly felt a rush of excitement. He hasn't had a bowl of ice cream in a long time. He could already taste the creamy goodness inside his mouth.

To: Woohyunnie^^
YAY~^^ I can't wait! I'll be waiting here.. on the floor.. =__=


Once Sunggyu pressed 'Send', he felt a wave of nausea sweep over. It was an unpleasant feeling, and he felt like he was going to vomit in any second. There was also sudden joint pains that shot mainly in his arms. The feeling was unbearable. It had felt like he was shot over one hundred times in different places. Sunggyu quickly ran to the nearest bathroom.

Sunggyu opened the light to expose the toilet. He bent over, and out came vomit from his trembling mouth. A few seconds later, the vomit turned into blood. He was throwing up blood. The red blood came pouring down from his nose and mouth. He all of the sudden felt weak. He was in pain, he was dizzy.. Sunggyu kept vomiting remains from his meal with a mixture of blood. He leaned himself on the toilet bowl.

Slowly, his eyes began to close.

-------------------------------------------------

"We're here, hyung~!" Everybody screamed, as they entered the dorm carrying the tubs of ice cream in plastic bags. There was no response. Was he still asleep?

"Hyung?" Woohyun asked, walking around the main room. He found Sunggyu's cell phone lying on the floor notifying that he had a text message. He handed the plastic bag he was holding filled with the tubs to Myungsoo. "Just eat your ice cream," he told Myungsoo. "I'll just go look for Sunggyu hyung."

Myungsoo nodded, and took the plastic bag from him. He began distributing each plastic container of ice cream to it's desired owner. Woohyun let the main room too look in the bedroom.

"Hyung?" Woohyun asked again, walking inside his own bedroom. He looked down on his bed, which was now neatly made because of his best friend. He began to look for Sunggyu, savaging through their pile of messy things. He was not there.

He did notice that the bathroom door was a little opened. It was closed when he left this morning. "Hyung?" he asked one more time, peering inside the door. Woohyun's eyes widened with fear. "HOLY , HOLY MOTHER ING .." Woohyun yelled. "HELP! HELP! DONGWOO-AH! HOYA! MYUNGSOO! SUNGYEOL! SUNGJONG! HELP!"

Inside the bathroom, lay Sunggyu who was still leaning on the toilet with his eyes closed. He was still unconscious. He still had blood pouring out of his nostrils. There was blood everywhere. On his shirt, on his hands, on his face, on the toilet, on the floor.. Seeing him in this condition made Woohyun sob loud. He quickly ran over to his best friend to hold him. "Hyung…." he sobbed weakly, rubbing his face into Sunggyu's. "Please be okay…"

Everybody came inside the bathroom. "," Myungsoo muttered, dropping his ice cream on the floor. Sungjong ran as quickly as he could, hugging both Sunggyu and Woohyun. "I told you this would happen!" he yelled, continuing to cry. "I hate my life.. Hyung.. I love you.. please… be okay…"

Dongwoo and Hoya began to cry into each other's arms. "It's okay, hyung.." Hoya gulped as tears fell down his red face. "He's going to be okay.."

Sungyeol and Myungsoo's foreheads can in contact with one another as they began crying. "Are you going to promise to never leave me?" Sungyeol whimpered as he cried even more. "I promise," Myungsoo whispered, giving Sungyeol a hug. All of them ran to the floor and gave each other one big, sad hug.

"We have to take him to the hospital," Woohyun croaked, his cheeks still in contact with Sunggyu's.

"I'll go start the car," Dongwoo said almost in a whisper. He wiped the tears off his face with his shirt, and runs quickly to the van.

"We have to go carry him," Woohyun pleaded. Everyone else nodded in agreement, placed their arms under Sunggyu, and carried him to the car.

----------------------------------------------

Dongwoo was driving on the driver's seat. Hoya was sitting on the passenger's seat next to him leaning against the window, sleeping. On the back, there was Sungjong, Woohyun and Sunggyu, and behind them was Myungsoo and Sungyeol sleeping, leaning on each other for support.

Woohyun grabbed the box of tissues that was placed under the driver's seat. He took out a tissue from the box and began to wipe the blood off of Sunggyu's face with it. He dabbed his pink skin carefully, making sure that he wasn't harmed.

The leader's eyes slowly opened. He was still in pain around his back area, and a little dizzy. The first thing he saw when he regained consciousness was Woohyun's face. It looked like he just finished crying. He also noticed that he was not back at the dorm, but in the van. He groaned. "W-where are we going?" he said softly.

"Shhhh," Woohyun cooed as he continued to dab the tissue in his bloody face. "We're taking you to the hospital. It's time for you to get checked up."

"Is he awake?" Dongwoo asked, looking through the mirror. "HYUNG!" He screamed happily. "I'm glad you're okay! For a second there, I thought you weren't."

Sunggyu tried to laugh, but it was too painful. He coughed a little. "It's good to see you too, Dongwoo-ah," he said weakly.

The van came to a stop a few moments later. "We're here," Dongwoo said, stepping out of the van. "You and Sunggyu hyung can go ahead. I'll wake up the others."

-----------------------------------------------

The hospital always had that strange aroma in the air. It was indescribable. It kind of smelled like a retirement home mixed in with rubbing alcohol. The hospital was surprisingly not busy or full today. There were a few nurses on the front table, and one or two patients in the waiting room.

"Annyeonghaseyo~" The nurse greeted as Woohyun went up the desk with a smile. "How may I help you today?"

"I'd like to see a doctor immediately," Woohyun replied. "My boyf-best friend just threw up blood because he has cancer, and I just need for him to be okay."

Dongwoo and the rest arrived from the elevator, and spotted Sunggyu sitting weakly on the waiting room chair. They all surrounded him, feeling his forehead and cheeks, asking him questions of questions.. especially Sungyeol. Sunggyu smiled at the overwhelming feeling. He was just glad they cared about them this much.

The nurse from behind grabbed her clip board. "Follow me!" she winked at Woohyun which caused him to twitch a little. "Lucky for you, there's a doctor open today."

Woohyun and the nurse walked over the Sunggyu and the other members. "I'm sorry, but we can only have one person go with him," the nurse said to the others as they helped Sunggyu up to his feet.

"BWOH?" Hoya protested. "But we're all his best friends! We need to be there for him!"

"I'm sorry," she replied.

"Woohyun, just go with hyung," Myungsoo said, looking down on the floor.

Woohyun nodded, he slung his best friend's arm around him, and helped him walk inside the doctor's office.
 



Author's Note: Okay, I have to admit that I was trying to restrain myself from sobbing when I wrote this chapter.. It's just imagining Sunggyu in that condition makes me sad.. ;__; Listening to depressing music doesn't make things better either..

Well, anyways, dun dun dun. What's going to happen in the doctor's office? Stay tuned~