What it feels like

Tugging at your Heartstrings

Hanni stood in front of the mirror in the bathroom, grunting in frustration.

“You okay?” Danielle asked from the room.

“I can’t get my hair right!”

Danielle popped up a second later and looked at her in the mirror reflection. “Hm. What are you trying to do with it?”

“I don’t know.”

“Girl.” Danielle chuckled. “Look at me.”

Hanni faced her. Danielle observed first, then reached for Hanni’s forehead, parting her bangs in the middle and pushing them to the sides.

“You look so pretty!” Danielle beamed. “I love the bangs, but they’re getting too long. I think it looks great like that.”

Hanni faced the mirror again, trying to push the hair behind her ear. “Yeah, they’re very long. I need to get them cut.”

“Or, you can just let them grow and let your pretty forehead see the light of the day.”

“You think so?”

“I think you look beautiful either way.”

“Awn, thanks, Dani.” Hanni gave her a smile. “Okay, I’ll go like this today.”

“Wait! Let me try something.”

Danielle rushed to the room and came back a few seconds later, two hair clips in hand. One had a white flower, the other a pink one. Hanni scrunched her nose but let Danielle push the right side of the hair behind her ear, placing the clips to keep it there. Then pulled the bangs to the front, so she had that strand of hair alongside her cheek.

“Oh my gosh, you look stunning!” Danielle spun her by the shoulders, making Hanni look at the mirror.

“Oh.” Hanni’s eyebrow went high. “Okay… I think I like it.”

“Nice! I’m glad. Remember how you helped me with my hair on the first day of classes? And now it was my turn.”

Hanni giggled. “Yeah. You should do that hairstyle again.”

“You know what, you’re right! By the way, Haerin and Minji are meeting us here. They’ll be here in around ten minutes.”

“Ten? I’m still not done yet. I wanted to put on some makeup.”

Danielle shrugged. “Doesn’t mean we’re leaving in ten. Take your time!”

Hanni’s chill playlist played in the background as they finished getting ready, Danielle making her half ponytail and Hanni doing some light makeup. Since one of her hairpins was pink, she went for a light pink eyeshadow.

There was a knock on the door soon after, and Danielle skipped to open it. Hanni heard their voices from the bathroom, but kept applying the mascara.

“Pham Hanni!“

Hanni snapped her neck and Minji stood there, leaning against the door frame. Danielle and Haerin passed behind Minji into the room. Hanni couldn’t help but look her head to toe, and back up again. Vans, black jeans, and a simple white button-up shirt, half tucked inside. Black eyeliner adorned her eyes, and her hair was once again pulled in a high ponytail, but two pieces fell on each side of her face. Kinda like what Danielle had done with Hanni’s hair too.

Gulping, Hanni faced the mirror. “Hi.”

Minji approached, her reflection in the mirror, eyes on Hanni. “I like the bangs better.”

Hanni finished applying the mascara and put it away, choosing a lipstick from her makeup purse. Taking her time, she applied it, still feeling Minji’s eyes on her. When she was done, she spun on her heels and looked Minji in the eye.

“Didn’t ask.”

Her plan was to say that and leave. But she couldn’t just yet. She stayed under Minji’s trapping gaze, admiring her face. The two first buttons of her shirt were open, and the corner of her lips curled up in a smirk.

“Sassy, are we?” Minji whispered.

Clenching her fists, Hanni left. No, she did not want to punch Minji. She wanted to punch herself.

“You look pretty either way,” Minji said, following her. “But even prettier with the bangs.”

“T-Thanks.” Hanni didn’t face her, afraid her cheeks were turning red. “Hi, Haerin.”

“Hello. I like your hair.”

“Thank you!” Hanni took a second to look at her. She also wore black jeans, but with a denim jacket over a white turtle neck. And only then she noticed - “Oh, you also parted your bangs!”

“Minji’s idea.”

Hanni irked an eyebrow and glanced at Danielle, then at Minji.

“Coincidence.” Minji shrugged. “She was complaining the bangs were getting in her eyes.”

“Same! You look very pretty.” Hanni told Haerin.

“She does!” Danielle was the human version of the heart eyes emoji. “So, so pretty.”

“You’re prettier.” Haerin looked at Danielle with her big, sparkling cat eyes.

“No, you are.” Danielle pushed Haerin’s hair behind her ear, and Haerin smiled.

There they go. Hanni sighed and turned around. They were adorable, but good god, Hanni felt like she shouldn’t be there. And deep down, just a tinge of jealousy.

Minji, though, stared at them. Hanni had no idea what went through her mind. Her face was blank.

“Minji,” she called in a low tone, but enough to pull her gaze to hers. “You look pretty, too.”

Her face lit up in a split second, an ear to ear grin blinding Hanni. “You think so?”

Hanni nodded, unable to say it again. Why did she even say it in the first place? Well, she told Haerin she looked pretty. Nothing wrong in telling Minji she did, too. She looked the prettiest, but she wouldn’t let her know.

“Thank you, Hanni. You do too, for real. I just… I don’t know, I think you look cuter with the bangs. It suits you a lot. But you also look pretty like that. It doesn’t matter, really. You’re always pretty.”

For ’s sake, just stop?!

“Is everyone ready?” Danielle said.

Hanni almost thanked her for saving her . Because, how was Hanni supposed to answer that?

They left the room and headed towards the main building, where the big hall was.

“I listened to the songs you recommended,” Minji said, walking with Hanni. The other two walked a couple of steps ahead, talking in Korean, as always. “I loved them all. Like, for real. I even cried.”

“You cried? Oh, was it ‘Homesick’?”

“Yeah. Damn, that hit so hard.”

“Sorry, I didn’t… even think about it.”

“No, it’s okay! I loved it. I even called Hyein after that. She was laughing because she could hear I had been crying in my voice. Thank you for showing me those songs, Hanni.”

“I’m glad you liked them. Be sure to listen to the albums, too!”

“Oh, I will. What’s your fav song from them?”

“That’s a difficult question. But I think… it’s probably ‘Light’. Everything about it, I just… I love it so much. The lyrics are simple, but so pretty.”

Minji smiled. “You are my sea, you are my sunshine, the star, the moon.”

Hanni knew she was only reciting the lyrics. So why did everything spin around, and why did her chest tight like that?

“Hanni!”

She turned to the source of the voice, observing as Chan rushed towards her.

“Hey!” Hanni waved her hand.

“I’m glad you came! And hi, Minji.”

“‘Sup.”

Chan shifted his attention to Hanni again. “Damn, you look gorgeous!”

“Oh, thank you so much! You look very handsome yourself.” Indeed, he had shaved the sides of his hair and pushed the rest back.

“Oh my, thank you, Hanni. I’m flattered. Guess what!”

“You’re performing? You ended up not telling me, but I’m assuming by the outfit all and.”

“Correct! I’m second. Gonna perform with Felix, Lily, and Haewon. Be ready, we’re gonna kill it.”

“I don’t doubt. I’ll look forward to it.”

“I have to go backstage now, prepare and all. See you later! Make sure to enjoy, alright?”

“Break a leg!”

He smiled and winked, turned, and rushed away.

“He’s into you,” Minji said.

“What?” Hanni faced her. Goddamn, what was with the arms crossed and the killer eyes?

“It’s so damn obvious.” Minji tapped her foot on the floor.

“I don’t know. He’s probably just being friendly.”

“Oh, come on, Hanni.”

Hanni frowned. “Why are you being like this? It’s not the first time you act like this because of him.”

“I’m not being like anything.”

“You are. Do you know something about him that I don’t? Should I be concerned?”

“I don’t know anything, I just don’t want him to hurt you.”

“Why would he? He never did anything to even put me in an awkward situation. He’s very respectful, actually. And even if he was into me, I told you I don’t see him like that.”

Minji rolled her eyes. Why did Hanni feel the need to explain herself, though? For a second time!

“Kim Minji, for ’s sake. I know you get protective, but you’re exaggerating.”

“I told you, I just don’t want you to be hurt. You tell me if he ever does anything that makes you uncomfortable.”

“I can protect myself. Save that for Haerin.”

Hanni dashed past Minji.

“What? Where did that even come from?” Minji’s steps echoed behind her.

Indeed. Why did Hanni say that? Why did it feel like they were fighting over literally nothing?

“I don’t know. Sorry, I didn’t mean to say that Haerin…” Hanni sighed. “Just forget it.”

Minji caught up and stood in front of her, making Hanni almost bump into her. “I can be there for her and for you. I just want you to tell me if anything happens. Not just with him. I’m sorry for acting like I did just now, but… After what happened with Haerin, I don’t wanna see anyone getting hurt again. And if I can do anything at all to help, I will.”

More and more people arrived at the hall, occupying empty seats. But Hanni felt like it was only her and Minji.

“I’ll tell you. If anything happens, I’ll tell you.”

Minji showed her small smile. “Once again, I’m sorry. Now, let’s go? They’re probably waiting for us.”

A hand extended for Hanni. She stared first. It’s okay to take it. Hanni grabbed it and let Minji lead the way.

Danielle waved her hand from one of the front rows. Minji rushed, grasping her hand harder as she pulled Hanni with her. It was warm.

“Where were you guys?” Danielle frowned. “We lost you!”

“Sorry, we kinda lost you too,” Minji said.

“We saved you seats.” Haerin pointed at the two available chairs next to Danielle.

They took their seats and Hanni looked around, seeing some of her classmates around. Yunjin was probably backstage already, she would also perform sooner or later.

Shortly after, their theory professor stepped on stage, thanking the students for showing up and for participating, and after leaving, the first group stepped in. Hanni enjoyed the classical trio, but she was way more excited to see her friends. The second they stepped on the stage, Hanni and Danielle cheered. They looked super cool with matching outfits. But none of them had a guitar or a bass with them. And none of them sat at the drums, or stood at the keys. Hanni did not ask what kind of song they would perform, and now she was even more curious.

They stood in line, mics in hand. A song started - heavy and upbeat. Clearly a hip-hop song, but one Hanni had never heard. Felix took the mic to his lips and Hanni was not prepared for how deep his voice was as he rapped. Nor for how skilled he was. Next was Chan, spitting more fast lyrics. But when the chorus arrived, it was a complete twist - sudden but subtle, it became more pop, with Lily and Haewon delivering amazing, powerful vocals.

Hanni and Danielle shared a look, chins dropped. When the song was over, everyone cheered super loud. The quartet bowed and thanked before making their leave.

“Holy !” Danielle still clapped. “They were amazing. I mean, I knew how great they were individually, but I did not expect this! Is this an original song of them?”

“I don’t know. But it was amazing. Chan did say they would kill it, and they did. Ate and left no crumbs.”

“I’m impressed,” Minji said. “It was very nice. Very unique.”

“Felt like I just watched a K-pop debut!” Danielle said.

“I’m sure they felt the same.”

The concert went on, with some more bands and classical groups, but so far, nothing beat their friends. Not being biased, or anything. They had been that good.

“Be right back, toilet,” Minji mumbled as they announced a small break.

Haerin did the same, following her.

“Hanniiiii,” Danielle whined, leaning against her shoulder. “What do I do?”

“Hm? About what?”

“Haerinie.”

“Gosh, I couldn’t even watch you two earlier.”

“Why?”

Hanni sighed. “Just… I was a bit jelly. I mean, look at you two.”

“But,” Danielle sat straight again. “Do you think… there’s something on her side as well?”

“You tell me! You’re the one spending alone time with her. What about yesterday? Was Haerin okay?”

It took a lot for Danielle to get angry. But it only took mentioning that for her face to change. “I better not see the guy who hurt her. I will throw hands.”

“Damn, Dani.”

“I’m serious! She looked so… better not even think about it or I’ll cry. I had never seen her like that. I’m glad Minji was there. And that I was there for her, too. I’m glad she asked me to come over.”

“See, she was the one calling for you. She wanted you to be there for her.”

“It doesn’t mean there’s something else there. Friends are there for that. But I don’t know… maybe it’s in my head, but I do feel like she’s different with me.”

“Why don’t you tell her?”

“Honestly, I want to. But not so soon. I don’t wanna ruin anything before I even know if I have a chance or not. I’ll let things happen. I’m enjoying our little moments.” Danielle squealed. “What about you? Was it fun with Minji as well?”

Hanni glared at her. “What are you trying to do?”

“Me? Nothing! I just told her that you were in our room. She clearly wanted to leave, and honestly, I’m glad she left us alone. Nothing against her, of course!”

“Wow. I would never expect you to say that.”

“I’m not saying Minji is no fun! But I wanted to be with Haerin… and come on, Hanni, admit it was fun.”

Glaring a bit more, Hanni ended up smiling. “Yeah, okay, it was. I always have fun when I’m with Minji.”

Danielle bit back a grin.

“A-Anyway, where are they? It’s probably starting soon.”

“They’ll be right back for sure.”

But they didn’t. A new group was starting their performance and they hadn’t come back. Did something happen?

“Should I call Minji?” Hanni asked, already with phone in hand.

“Don’t bother.”

“What? I mean, isn’t it weird that they just disappeared? I would guess you would be worried for Haerin if she wasn’t back in three minutes or-“

“Just look ahead, you dummy!” Danielle slapped her leg.

Hanni did so.

And everything unfocused around her.

Minji stepped on the stage, drumsticks in hand. Folded sleeves, a black tie that wasn’t there before, and a chain dangling from her belt. She faced the audience, waved a hand, and found Hanni with ease, shooting her a smile before sitting behind the drum kit.

“What… the …?” Hanni muttered.

“I am so sorry for keeping this from you!”

Hanni’s neck snapped so fast something cracked. “You knew?!”

“Haerin spoiled it yesterday!”

Hanni faced the stage again. Haerin was there. She had been so fixated on Minji that she didn’t notice Haerin and another guy with them. Was it Beomgyu? One of Yeonjun’s friends.

“She looks so good!” Danielle grabbed Hanni’s hand. “So pretty, so cool! Oh, I’m gonna pass out. Hanni, if I do, please call an ambulance.”

How would Hanni call an ambulance for Danielle, when she suspected she would faint first?

Minji hit the drumsticks and shouted ‘five, six, seven, eight!’, and in the next beat, Hanni’s heart beat with Minji’s drums.

No one sang. Haerin’s loud bass resonated inside her body, and Beomgyu’s electric guitar sent chills down her spine.

But all Hanni could see was Minji. The Kim Minji that Hanni still hadn’t seen. Not even the one in the practice room. The real drummer Minji, giving her heart and soul, blood and sweat to the performance. Rocking her head to the rhythm, her limbs dancing around with such ease it made it look like child’s play. But no one could do it like her.

There was nothing else there for Hanni’s eyes to look at. To marvel, to admire.

Five minutes that felt like ten seconds. Cheers erupted, Danielle jumped on her feet to clap and scream. Hanni was still there. Danielle had to shake her up, tell her to at least applaud. They were thanking the crowd. They were leaving.

Hanni suddenly got up. “Kim Minji!” The scream was so loud it even got herself taken aback, but it did reach Minji. She halted and looked her way, eyes big. “You’re the best! The! Best!

The surprise in Minji’s face melted into her smile - the most genuine and pure Hanni remembered ever seeing in her face. Giving her a finger heart, Minji rushed off stage after the others.

Hanni let herself fall to the chair with a thud and a grunt.

“You okay?” Danielle asked.

“Are you?”

“Nope. Not one bit.”

“Figured. I’m not either.”

Danielle didn’t say anything. Weird, Hanni expected teasing.

A new band performed, but Hanni wasn’t listening. Her soul only returned when Minji suddenly sat next to her, spawning out of nowhere.

“Kim Minji,” Hanni mumbled.

“Did you like it?”

“Why didn’t you tell me?”

“I wanted to surprise you. Did I?”

Hanni held her gaze. Not knowing why, Hanni wanted to hug her. So she did.

“You were amazing. So, so amazing.”

Minji’s arms s around Hanni. Her big hands scorched her back. Bear hug.

“Thank you. And thank you for cheering for me. I…” Minji’s voice cracked all of a sudden, and she squeezed Hanni between her strong arms, taking her breath away. “It made me really happy.”

Had anyone ever cheered for her name?

“I’ll always cheer for you, Minji. You always have me, and you’re always shining.” Hanni chose to quote those two lines from the lyrics of ‘Light’.

Minji giggled near her ear and pulled away, smiling. Hanni matched it. She was so incredibly proud she didn’t have the words for it.

The last act of the concert was announced. Huh Yunjin, alone in a white dress and boots, fake tattoos adorning her skin, and her electric guitar, filled the whole venue with her immeasurable presence. An original song she had been working since Hanni could remember, and that now she could listen to the whole thing.

I don't know what I'd be doing without you
You love who I am
'Cause I don't care as long as I'm with you
I'll reach for your hand
In this ugly world where the color is fading
You're beautiful in every color and shade I, I

Hanni didn’t bother holding back the tears. People screamed, cheered, whistled when she finished. Hanni stood up to clap, and she hadn’t noticed Kazuha before, but she was right there in the first row, jumping and shouting for her girlfriend. Just like Minji, Yunjin beamed wide, genuine with evident pride and joy.

Hanni missed that. She didn’t remember the last time she had real fun on stage. There was always drama, jealous eyes on her, judgment. She couldn’t even give her all, fearing it could get worse. The nervousness would get the best of her almost every time, and it would only prove people right - that she wasn’t that good at anything.

But she was tired of that. She was far away from that kind of people now. She had Minji, Danielle, and Haerin. She wanted to play with them again, be brave and speak up, just like Minji had told her to.

“I wanna perform next time,” Hanni blurted when Yunjin left the stage and people started slowing leaving the hall. She turned to Minji, whose eyes were already on her. “I wanna… I wanna play with you guys.” Then faced Danielle. “Let’s perfect your song, and let’s perform it. Let’s learn a cover or two, or create a whole new song, the four of us, together from scratch. I wanna feel what you guys just did on stage, with you. I’ve never performed like that. I wanna know what it feels like.”

Haerin nodded with a smile, giving her a thumbs up. “It’s really cool. You’re gonna love it.”

“You for real?” Danielle asked. “Perform… my song? I mean… our song. We all did it. It’s not my song anymore.”

“For real.”

“You heard Hanni.” Minji stood in front of them. “Let’s be up there for the next concert.”

Danielle beamed so hard she almost cried. “Yes! Yes, I really want to!”

“Tomorrow at five, practice room.” Minji pointed at them.

“Yes, leader,” Haerin said.

Minji threw her a glare. “Now, let’s get Yunjin and the others, and let’s go for dinner. We gotta celebrate our amazing performances. And I want a big burger, and three scoops of ice cream.”

---

A/N - I love you rockstar Huh Yunjin............... just listen to Raise Your Glass pls PLSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Twitter - @itzloonatic
CuriousCat - curiouscat.me/itzloonatic