For real

Tugging at your Heartstrings

Hyein kept beaming, eyes jumping between the girls, probably waiting for a reaction that didn’t come right away.

“Oh!” Danielle finally stood up. “Oh my gosh! Hyein, hi! What… what are you doing here?” Danielle added something else in Korean.

“I am visiting my sister!” Hyein said, her English adorable.

Minji’s face was full on red. “I had no idea she was coming. I’m just as surprised as you guys.”

“You’re Hanni!” Hyein met her eyes and rushed to shake her hand. “Nice to meet you.”

Hanni’s cheeks matched Minji’s. Yeah… she guessed it made sense that Hyein knew about her. Minji probably talked with her about… yeah.

“Hi, Hyein, nice to meet you too! Minji talks a lot about you.” Hanni gave her best to keep her voice happy.

“Oh. She talks about you-“

“Hyein, we still need to practice.” Minji interrupted. “You can stay and watch if it’s okay for everyone, but keep it quiet, please.”

Hyein glanced at her with a contained laugh and said something in Korean before moving to greet Danielle and Haerin as well. Minji sat at the drums and sighed. What exactly was going through her mind?

They didn’t practice for much longer. Hyein kept silent, sitting in the corner, her eyes gleaming at them.

Leaving the practice room, Danielle went ahead, chatting with Hyein. Minji walked beside her in silence, and Hanni a couple of steps behind. Didn’t matter, though, she didn’t understand their conversation, anyway.

“Hyein is saying she traveled here with her brother, to be with Minji,” Haerin said quietly next to Hanni.

“Oh?” Hanni glanced at her. “Taehyung is here?”

“Apparently. They’re staying a few days.”

So, Taehyung was there too. Had Minji seen him? Hanni wanted to rush to Minji’s side and hold her hand so bad it physically hurt. She couldn’t possibly know what Minji was thinking, or feeling. Hyein was there, her brother too, and they still were on bad terms.

What a freaking timing.

“Thank you, Haerin. For the translation,” Hanni said.

“No problem. Hey, is everything alright?”

“Hm? Y-Yeah. Why do you ask?”

Haerin shrugged. “Minji seems weird. She’s been arriving late at night. I wonder if something happened?”

The pang in Hanni’s chest felt like a gunshot.

“You also seem a bit… off,” Haerin added.

Of course. Anyone could see it.

“I’m stressed about the concert,” Hanni said. “We don’t have much time left, and I’m worried we won’t be able to perfect ‘Bad’ until then.”

“We will.” Haerin smiled, the one that Danielle characterized as her froggy smile. “You’re doing great, Hanni. Don’t worry. Be more confident. And remember to have fun.”

Hanni almost cried there and then. “Thank you, Haerin. That… means a lot. Are you having fun?”

Haerin nodded. “A lot. I don’t know if you know, but it’s also the first time I have a band.”

“Hm? I thought you had one before?”

“Well… Having one band practice doesn’t count. No one wanted to form a band with me. Or be my friend. You know, people thought I was weird. I still don’t know if I am or not, but, you guys like me the way I am, so, I’m happy. And I’m enjoying playing with you a lot. I can’t wait to perform with you guys.”

Hanni frowned. “Of course we like you, Haerin. I have no idea why people thought that of you, but I’m really glad you’re having fun with us.”

“I’m glad that I met you all.”

Hanni couldn’t help but show Haerin a genuine smile.

Reaching the main entrance, they halted.

“Bye, Hanni, see you tomorrow!” Hyein bowed at her.

Hanni looked around, confused, but waved. “Bye.”

Minji waved too, and they walked away.

“Hyein is so nice!” Danielle squealed. “She asked us if we wanted to have dinner, but I told them to spend some time together first. It’s been a while since they’d seen each other. But maybe tomorrow or after, we’ll have dinner together. Man, she’s so cute!”

“She is.” Haerin nodded, and faced Danielle, cat eyes on her. “But you’re more.”

Hanni rolled her eyes with a grunt. “Bye guys, see you later.”

“Wait! Have dinner with us!” Danielle held her arm.

“I’m not very hungry.”

Danielle’s face dropped. “Hanni, is everything alright? For real, now.”

Nice, Hanni, be even more obvious. “Yeah, I’m just tired. Don’t worry.”

Hanni didn’t know if Danielle believed her or not, but at least they let her go. Hanni got herself a sandwich (another one, had she been eating anything else these past days?) and locked herself in her room, glad that Danielle went with Haerin.

She didn’t know for how much longer she could pretend. Her energy was sipping, and they had to practice more and more, and the concert was approaching, and now Hyein was suddenly there, and…

Hanni dropped to her bed, sighed, and cried again.

Those feelings were exhausting. And if she couldn’t get Minji to talk before, now with Hyein there, it would be impossible.

How would they even perform at the concert like that?

Next day, they were back in the practice room. Now, Hyein had been with them since the start. It was Wednesday, only two more days until the concert, and the song was still far from perfect. Hanni had to master the courage to point out the things she couldn’t, no matter how hard it could be. No matter if it would hurt Minji or not.

“Minji,” she called when they took five. The anxiety was such that she wanted to throw up when Minji met her with a stern face. “L-Like I said yesterday, you’re playing very aggressively. Even more.”

“Yeah, what’s with you?” Haerin frowned at her. “I can only hear the drums. And nice dark circles, by the way.”

“Couldn’t sleep,” Minji said.

“Liar. You were grinding on Pro Sekai.”

“Because I couldn’t sleep.”

“All I could hear was her furiously tapping on her phone,” Haerin chuckled, mimicking someone clicking with her thumbs. “Tac tac tac tac tac tac.”

Minji rolled her eyes. “Anything else?”

Hanni swallowed dry, lowering her head. “Just… that. We need to fix this before Dani and I start singing.”

“Yeah. You’re right. Let’s go, then, from the start. I’ll fix it right away.”

Minji did her best, Hanni could hear.

“Okay, I think we can sing now?” Danielle said. “We gotta start. And we want to hear your opinions on how we divided the parts and our own interpretation of the song. We did some tweaks and all.”

Taking in a deeper breath, Hanni nodded at Danielle. The music started and Hanni faced down. It was easier that way.

It didn’t go as bad as the first. But still not good. They did it again for good measure.

“What do you think?” Danielle asked.

“I love it.” Haerin smiled at her. “You have a beautiful voice. Hanni too. I think they blend well together.”

“Awn, thank you, Haerinie!” Danielle’s eyes sparkle. As if Haerin hadn’t told her that around a million times before… “What about you, Minji?”

“Same.”

Danielle turned to Hanni. “Wanna try the second version we practiced?” Twice more, but the question now was - “Which one you guys liked the most?”

“First,” Haerin said. “The second is too similar to the original. Not that it’s bad, but I really liked the personal touch you got there.”

“Me too!” Danielle beamed. “Minji? This or the first one?”

“Yes.”

Silence followed, confused looks around. Hyein chuckled in the corner.

“It was a this or that question.” Haerin deadpanned.

“Oh.” Minji cleared . “Uh, the first one, yeah. What Haerin said.”

“You normally have a lot more to say. Seriously now, what’s with you?”

“I didn’t have my coffee. Let’s go again, come on.” Minji held the drumsticks above her head, giving the count.

Hanni almost missed it because of how sudden it was. She didn’t want to sing. She didn’t want to play the keys, she didn’t want to be there. The air was so thick she couldn’t properly breathe, therefore, sing.

Minji was so off.

That was not their leader. That was not Kim Minji the drummer. There was no soul, no emotion in her face, something that Hanni always admired about her.

“Wasn’t it too fast this time?” Haerin said. “Minji, go get your coffee.”

“I’m fine.”

“Clearly. Seems like you’re gonna fall asleep anytime soon.”

Minji sighed and answered in Korean, gritting between her teeth. There was a twitch of her eyebrow, and Hanni had to look away.

“Yah, Minji, you said this was cool,” Hyein said, catching their attention “But I’m not feeling…” she motioned with her hands. “The vibes.”

Haerin snorted a laugh, but Minji stood up, the stool scratching the floor. “Gonna go get a coffee.”

“Sorry, Hyeinie,” Danielle said after the door closed. “We’re indeed way more fun than this, but I guess we’re a bit stressed because the concert is in two days and we’re still a bit rough.”

Hyein faced the door and pursued her lips. “She is not okay. But I don’t know what it is.”

Danielle reached for Hanni’s arm. “Wanna go check on her?”

The air failed her. A weird sound escaped . “M-Maybe we should let her be?”

Danielle shared a look with Haerin.

“You guys fought,” Haerin stated.

The door barged open, and Hanni was glad Minji was back.

“Coffee acquired.” Minji raised the small cup in her hand. “Shall we proceed?”

“As thou leader desires.” Haerin bowed her head.

That ripped a chuckle around the room. Except for Minji. Which… was sad.

After practice, Hyein and Minji left to go have dinner with Taehyung. Hanni was glad. Glad as well that Danielle didn’t mention anything later in their room after they had dinner together.

She knew they noticed, though.

Hanni woke up and wished she didn’t. Thursday, one day left for the concert, and the concerns swarmed her mind almost instantly. Danielle wasn’t around. Probably went for her morning walk, or volunteered a bit more since they were on break.

As if she had heard her thoughts, Hanni’s phone lit up with a message from Danielle.

[modani]
Guys, should we practice in the morning as well?
The concert is tomorrow and I’m a bit worried we’re not well prepared
Just like an extra hour before lunch
Be there at noon sharp pls!

Oh, great. Even more time to spend in agony. She liked the last message, answered with an okay, locked her phone, and put it away. Rolling to the other side, Hanni decided to sleep until at least eleven.

Basically dragging herself, Hanni still went. What could she do, not show up? She couldn’t fail them.

Knocking on the door, she let herself in. Her stomach dropped when she found only Minji there.

“Hey.” Minji went back to staring at her phone.

“Hi.”

Hanni did the same. She sat, phone in hand. Noon sharp. They should be arriving any minute now. But, Hyein wasn’t there. Weird?

Five minutes went by in silence, and no one still.

“They’re late?” Hanni said into the air.

Minji only heaved a loud sigh. Hanni typed on their group chat asking where they were. Five more minutes, no answer. Not even a seen from either Danielle or Haerin.

What… was going on?

“What a ing waste of time.” Minji stood up and aimed for the door.

It finally clicked.

Hanni bolted from her seat and reached for Minji’s arm in time, grasping it like she never did. “Minji, wait.”

“What?”

“We… we need to talk.”

“We don’t.”

Hanni gripped even harder, her blood boiling. “You will listen to me, Kim Minji!”

“And what if I don’t want to?” Minji snapped back, her eyebrows drawn together so hard it made the dimple between them show. “I don’t wanna hear that. Not again.”

“Again? I didn’t get to give you an answer. You didn’t let me.”

Minji sighed again, her breathing heavier. “You didn’t say anything back then. You didn’t say anything since. I got the message loud and clear.”

“I was caught off guard! I didn’t know what to say to that, it was so sudden-“

“Sudden?” Minji scoffed. “I couldn’t have been more obvious, Hanni! I’ve been dropping hints all the ing time, and oh my god, what a surprise!”

Hanni wanted to slap her. Like, actually slap her face.

“Whatever, I already went through this before, I’m not about to-“

“What ?” Hanni cut her off. “You never told me any of that! When we talked about past experiences, I told you mine, and you said nothing!”

“I’m ing sorry if it’s embarrassing to admit that I fell for a girl I thought was into me as well, but turns out she was straight and never saw me that way. Oh, and not to mention she was from my band, and that this single handily ruined it for everyone.”

Minji’s eyes gleamed. Hanni couldn’t breathe. “M-Minji-“

“I was already rejected by a straight, confused girl once. I am not about to be again. We just formed this goddamn band and I have the extra duty of being the leader. We have a concert tomorrow and we need to practice, and I’m doing my best to keep my posture and being as professional as I can, putting my feelings aside. Just pretend I never told you anything, pretend you don’t know, because honestly, this is embarrassing as .” Minji paused and let out a dry chuckle. “I was such an idiot.”

“Hey, Kim Minji-“

“I thought, you know, maybe you felt the same. But-“

“But I do!”

Minji froze. Huge eyes moved to meet Hanni’s.

“Can I finally explain mysefl?! Will you let me speak without storming away or interrupting me?” Hanni kept gripping onto Minji’s arm, balling her other fist.

Minji gulped, giving her a weak nod.

“I’m sorry, Minji. I’m sorry I haven’t said anything that day. And since that day. I’m sorry that happened to you before. I had no idea, you didn’t tell me anything about it. But… I’m not like that girl. I’m not confused. Not anymore at least.” Hanni let all the words loose, feeling as if tons and tons lifted from her chest. “I was lost. No, I mean… honestly, I never was. But I had to take this time to sort my feelings out. To accept them. I’m sorry I made it seem like I was just playing around. But, Minji… you were not the only one falling in love.”

Minji’s lower lip trembled. Hanni couldn’t stand the sight. With a strong push, Hanni’s body found Minji’s, her arms circling her torso. Closing her eyes, Hanni snuggled against Minji’s neck, breathing in the scent of her perfume.

Oh, how she missed that feeling.

How she had missed Minji’s arms around her shoulders, her hand buried in her hair, her fingertips scratching her head. How she had missed her embrace, so tight she could barely breathe.

“Hanni,” Minji whispered near her ear, her voice hoarse. “For real? Are you for real?”

Hanni pulled away without letting go of her. Just enough to look at her teary eyes, and then at her lips.

Oh, how much she had thought of it. Wished for it.

Tip-toeing, Hanni s her hands to the back of Minji’s neck. It didn’t have to be a wish anymore.

Hanni closed her eyes and let her lips touch Minji’s. Barely, as if scared (well, she was), as if asking for permission. And when it was granted, when Minji moved her lips against Hanni’s, everything spun around. Her ears buzzed, her heart thundered. Familiar, yet stronger.

Pulling away, fearing her knees would buckle, Hanni’s chest heaved. She looked up at Minji, at her red cheeks, her parted lips.

“Real now?”

“Can I kiss you again?” Minji urged, leaning in already.

“You were the one asking me if I was for real-“

Hanni’s babbling was cut short. Minji’s hands pressed against Hanni’s lower back, pulling her as close as possible, and the way she kissed her now got Hanni breathless. Impatient, rushed, a good kind of messy, but above everything else, passionately raw. As if Minji feared she would open her eyes and Hanni wouldn’t be there.

Hanni would, but she didn’t mind being kissed like that.

Minji pulled back, panting as if she had finished a marathon, tongue swiping across her lips. “Oh my god, Hanni.”

“What is it, Minji?” Hanni had to stop herself from laughing. She had never seen that Minji before. And she was obsessed with it already.

Minji tucked a piece of messy hair behind Hanni’s ear, her eyes roaming her face as if she looked at Hanni for the first time, her fingertips ghosting over her skin.

“I… I love you so much, Pham Hanni.”

And then, just like that, Minji switched. How did she do that?

“I love you, Kim Minji. I really do. For real.”

Minji smiled, and the sun shone again. She leaned her forehead against Hanni’s, grinning now. “My Pham Pham.”

“Pham Pham?” Hanni giggled.

“I’ve been wanting to call this for the longest ing time.”

“Awn, baby. You could have. It’s cute.”

Minji tensed up. Hanni gulped.

“I-I mean-“

“Say it again.” Minji leaned back a bit, eyes trapping Hanni’s.

“You say it.”

“Pham Pham.”

Hanni melted, her smile the one that scrunched her nose.

“Baby.”

Minji’s nostrils flared, and she looked elsewhere. Hanni squealed.

“That’s why you didn’t want me to call you a sulky baby!” Hanni laughed louder.

“Shut up.”

“Awn, Minji.” Hanni held her cheeks, making Minji face her. “How can you be so, so cute?”

“I’m gonna cry.”

“Wha- why?”

“Because I’m so happy.” Her lips trembled again.

“See, you are a baby! A pouty baby.”

Minji stopped holding it back and tears rolled down her eyes.

“You always wanted to see the moonlight,” Hanni muttered, wiping the tears away. “And I just wanted to see your smile.”

That did rip one from Minji. “You are my sea. You are my sunshine.”

“The star, the moon.”

“I’m still working on my lyrics, so… you’ll have to wait so I can tell you something original. Until then, I’ll keep asking you, how could my day be bad when I’m with you?”

“The fact that that song is the one that makes me think of you the most, and we had to practice it endlessly these past few days…”

Minji groaned. “Don’t mention it. What a nightmare. But not anymore.”

“Not anymore. But, at least… I might have finished some lyrics during this time.”

Minji irked an eyebrow. “Oh? And are they, maybe, about a certain drummer that I know?”

“They certainly are. But they’re not done yet. I mean, they technically are, but I want to perfect them. I’ll show you after.”

“I won’t forget that.”

In the following silence, Minji leaned down once more. A different kiss this time, slow and deep and toe curling. Hanni tasted something… strawberry? Some sort of wild berry. But Minji didn’t have any lipstick?

Oh! “Hey, Kim Minji!” Hanni pushed her and pointed a finger, making Minji widen her eyes. “Do… Do you smoke?”

Minji’s eyes twitched, contracting. “U-Uh… if you count vaping…”

Hanni dropped her shoulders. “Since when? I saw you the other day at the playground.”

“Honestly, since… I was sixteen? I just stopped when I moved here. But I was so stressed out that… I went to buy one. When I’m done with it, I won’t buy another one, I promise. I don’t need it anymore.”

Now it was Hanni that felt like crying. “I’m sorry. It’s my fault. I… I didn’t mean to make you feel that way. I know I hurt you.”

Minji shook her head, caressing her hair again. “You’re not responsible for the way I act on my emotions. I didn’t want to tell Haerin, so I kept it all to myself, but I didn’t know how else to cope.”

“What exactly were you going through, baby?” Hanni pouted.

Minji gave her a small smile. “A lot of , honestly. And then Hyein suddenly showed up, with Taehyung? Yesterday, when Haerin said I was out of it, she was right. I don’t remember the last time I felt so angry.”

“Why, exactly?”

“I was already down. Then they were here without telling me. Sure, I was happy to see them, but… the fact that I wasn’t able to fully enjoy my time with Hyein, despite how much I missed her, was making it worse. And because I was already in a mood, seeing my brother also made even worse. Like… I don’t know, I snowballed hard. Harder than I remember.”

Hanni’s heart clenched. “Minji… I’m so sorry. When I realized your brother was here, I so wanted to be there for you, because I knew it would be bittersweet. I’m sorry you had to deal with that all by yourself.”

“I don’t have to anymore. You’re here, we can practice without all that tension from before, and we’re gonna kill it tomorrow. Also, it’s Hyein’s birthday.”

“Tomorrow?”

“Yeah, she came here so she could be with me for her birthday. She’s so, so excited to see us play. I also need to apologize to her… and make the most out of the time she’s here. She’ll leave on Saturday. So, let’s do our best and show her a great concert, yes?”

Hanni nodded. “Yes. I’ll do my absolute best.”

“Me too. Oh, and we need to thank Dani. This was a hundred percent her idea, I just know it.”

“For real… They totally noticed yesterday.”

“It was getting harder and harder to mask. But there’s nothing else to mask now. And you bet I will proudly show you off. I mean… I guess I can say I have a girlfriend now?”

“I don’t know, why don’t you ask her?”

Minji’s chin dropped. “Wow, Pham Pham. I’m impressed. Okay, so,” she cleared . “Be my girlfriend?”

Kissing her lips, Hanni held her hands. “I’m officially Kim Minji’s girlfriend.”

---

A/N - AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA SDIGUANG9IAWNGIOUDNHIUPDHNTUINW39 IT'S OFFICIALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

I really, REALLY hope y'all liked the whole scene! Of course, just a bit more of a traumatic past because, well, it's a story by ME, but! All shall be well :))) 

Thank you all for the reactions on the last chapter, oh I was WHEEZING! 

Twitter - @itzloonatic
CuriousCat - curiouscat.me/itzloonatic