Everything I could ever ask for

Tugging at your Heartstrings

It was raining again the next day. In normal circumstances, Danielle would still go out. Even if for a quick walk, or the gym, or the practice room. But she refused to leave the room. Not even for volunteering in the morning. Not for her meals, claiming she was not hungry. Hanni made her more tea and at least that she accepted.

Hanni’s phone lit up with a message.

[thekimminji]
Meet me at the entrance in half an hour

It was just a bit past lunch time. Hanni answered and put on some clothes.

She waved her hand to get Danielle’s attention since she had her headphones on. “I’ll go out for a bit. Text me if you need anything, okay?”

Danielle nodded and put on the headphones again. Hanni sighed and left. She had never seen Danielle like that and didn’t know what to do.

Minji stood near the main entrance, phone in hand. Hanni approached and her steps caught her attention.

“Hey.” Minji smiled. “How’s Dani?”

“Not well. And Haerin?”

Minji pursued her lips. “I don’t know. She doesn’t know. It’s complicated. But she’s worried for Dani the most. She asked me to ask you if she ate, and to tell you to please get her carrots and cherry tomatoes. That it will cheer her up. But don’t tell her it was Haerin telling you to do it.”

Hanni chuckled, shaking her head. “Those two… I don’t mind at all, but why doesn’t Haerin do it herself? Wouldn’t that be much better?”

“She’s still wrapping her head around what happened and is assuming Dani is too, and doesn’t want to talk about it this soon. Meanwhile, they’re both in deep , correct. But we can’t force them to talk if they’re not ready.”

“You have no idea how much it pains me to see Dani like that.”

“No, I do have an idea, because I see how it’s affecting Haerin.”

“Of course.” Hanni sighed. “But… is she gonna reject Dani? Or… is she confused?”

“She’s not confused. It’s just… some insecurities she has.” Minji walked to the door and opened her umbrella, peeking behind. “Let’s go? I’m also gonna get Haerin something to eat. She won’t leave the room.”

Hanni held her arm and they headed outside. “Please just tell me Haerin likes her back.”

“Of course she does.”

Hanni exhaled as if a ton had been lifted from her chest, but at the same time, another weighted down. Why did it sound like Minji hated to say that? Shouldn’t she sound happy?

Was Minji… jealous? Hurt, that she was not the one Haerin liked?

And why did that make Hanni’s chest so, so tight?

“Don’t tell Dani, though,” Minji added.

“But she’s-“

“Haerin is suffering too, but let them take care of this. I don’t think we should get involved. Unless this drags for an unreasonable long time.”

“Tomorrow’s Dani’s birthday.”

“I know. Haerin knows, too. Still, things like this need time. Rushing might be worse.”

Hanni remained silent. Deep down, she agreed, even if it hurt.

“At least it’s reciprocated,” Hanni said. “And they just need to talk things out. Right?”

Minji hummed. “Right.”

And again.

“Hope they tell each other how they feel soon. They deserve to be happy, and to be with each other.”

“They for sure do.”

Reaching the convenience store, Hanni got herself a sandwich and Haerin’s order for Danielle. Some additional snacks, and they went back to the dorm.

“Thank you for the company.” Minji walked Hanni to her room as usual. “Sorry for not being in a better mood.”

“Don’t worry, I get it.” Did she?

Minji opened her arms, waiting. Hanni attended to her request. It was her own as well. Minji’s arms came around her, and Hanni closed her eyes. Should she even be enjoying it?

“This helps, though,” Minji’s deep voice whispered near her ear. “Thank you, Hanni.”

Why, just why was Minji so confusing?

“Keep me updated if anything happens,” Hanni said, pulling away.

“Same. Well, bye then.”

Minji fixed a bit of Hanni’s bangs (Yes, she got them again. No, it was not because Minji said she looked cuter with them.) with a real smile this time before leaving, and Hanni rushed inside.

Danielle had her guitar on her lap, and didn’t stop singing even when Hanni opened and closed the door. Hanni knew that song - Paris in the Rain. Hanni didn’t say anything as she kicked her shoes out and moved to the kitchen area to prepare the carrots for her. (“If you can, cut them in sticks, that’s how Dani likes them best,” Minji had explained. Haerin’s instructions also.)

Maybe Danielle assumed Hanni was cooking for herself. She kept singing and playing that same song on repeat. Well, it matched the weather. And her feelings, for sure.

Hanni waited for her third time in a row to end before turning from the kitchenette with a plate full of carrot sticks (not too regular, but she did her best) and cherry tomatoes. Danielle gasped the second her eyes saw it.

“Still haven’t eaten, have you?” Hanni sat next to her.

Danielle put the guitar away and held the plate as if made of gold. “No. Hanni… I’m gonna cry.”

“What, no!”

Too late. A tear was already rolling down as Danielle took a carrot stick to and munched on it as if she hadn’t eaten in a month. “Thank you so much, Hanni.”

Hanni had to physically force herself not to tell the truth. Wasn’t it so unfair? Their feelings were mutual, for ’s sake! All it took was for them to say it. They didn’t have to be in that miserable state.

“Your voice really suits that song,” Hanni said.

“I think so too. I love singing that song. Always have. And now… it just hits different.”

“Why… why don’t you talk with her?”

Danielle ate cherry tomato after cherry tomato. “Not yet. I don’t feel capable. And I don’t wanna make her feel like I demand an answer or anything at all so soon.”

Hanni also couldn’t argue against that. She only had to be there for Danielle, hoping they could fix it soon.

Hanni checked her phone. Only five minutes left before midnight. But when she looked away from her book and to the other side of the room, Danielle was already lying under the blanket.

“Dani?” Hanni whispered.

No answer. Was she really sleeping? It would be her birthday…

Danielle was so excited about it. Hanni bet that if nothing had happened, they would even be out celebrating the second the day turned. Having a few drinks and singing happy birthday.

Hanni feared that wouldn’t be a happy one.

Turning the light off, she did the same, hugging Jerry against her chest.

Yep, always smelled like Minji.

“I don’t feel like celebrating.”

Just like Hanni had feared.

“But… you were so excited.”

“Yeah, I know.” Danielle gave her a small, sad smile. “Maybe I’ll feel better later and we can have dinner or something.”

Hanni pouted. “Okay. But we can still do something! Wanna watch another movie? Or sing? I can play the guitar for you. Even sing with you if you’d have me.”

Danielle’s next smile was a bit more real. “You’re the cutest, Hanni. I’m so glad I have you. Let’s watch a movie, sure. Can it be La La Land?”

“Of course, I love it!”

They were around the middle when there was a knock on the door. They shared a look.

“Could it be Minji?” Danielle asked.

“No idea?”

Danielle got up from the bed and tip-toed to the door, looking through the peephole. She gasped and froze.

“Dani?” Hanni paused the movie and stood up as well.

Hanni heard a voice from the outside, speaking in Korean.

Could… could it be?

Danielle opened the door, and taking a step back, Haerin came into view. Hanni widened her eyes.

“Sorry for showing up without warning,” Haerin said. Polite as ever.

“No, no, it’s okay! Perfectly okay!” Hanni babbled. She quickly put on the first pair of shoes she could find and grabbed her phone. “Uh, I’ll… take a walk. S-See you later!”

Skipping past them, Haerin still said - “Minji’s in our room.”

Hanni ran, her heart on a rampage. Getting to their room in a minute, she banged on the door.

“Jesus, Pham Ha-“ Minji was cut short by the way Hanni threw herself at her. “Hanni?”

“Haerin’s there! She went there! She’s gonna tell Dani, isn’t she?”

Minji chuckled, a hand to pat her head. “Yeah. Just in time for her birthday, right?”

“Ah, I’m so relieved.” Hanni exhaled as if telling her body to relax. Things would be fine. “I couldn’t see Dani like that anymore.”

“Same here. Haerin did a lot of thinking, and suddenly she said, ‘I’m gonna talk to Dani.’, and left. I don’t know where she got the courage from, but I’m glad. I hope they talk things out and be honest and all of that. The next time I lay my eyes on her, they better be official.”

Why did Minji sound so different from the day before? Like she meant it. Like she wasn’t hurt anymore. Was she even to start with? Or did Hanni’s mind make it all up to back up her own narrative?

Ah, whatever.

“You know what.” Hanni pulled away, but not entirely. Her hands were still around Minji’s waist. “Let’s prepare her a surprise. I assume they’ll take a bit, we have time to go out and buy things for a picnic.”

“A picnic?” Minji laughed. “All of a sudden?”

“Dani said she wanted to do one if it didn’t rain! And look, it’s a sunny day.” Hanni looked towards the window, the sun shining through. “Even the weather wants to celebrate Dani’s birthday! So let’s buy more cherry tomatoes, prepare carrots, and get snacks and a cake! So when they’re done, we can go. And there’s a direct bus to the nearest beach!”

“Wow, the beach? We’re going to the beach?”

“Yes, because Dani said so and her wish shall be true.” Hanni flashed a content, proud smile.

Minji stared down. And Hanni stared up. They still held onto each other.

She could hear Danielle .

“S-So!” Hanni cleared and pulled away, her face hot all of a sudden. “Let’s go?”

“Sure. And you’re right, it’s a beautiful sunny day, we should enjoy it.”

Minji reached for a white cap that hung behind the front door before leaving, and Hanni gulped. She looked so, so cool with it. Extra pretty, if that was even possible.

They took their time to walk to the same convenience store as the day before, but this time they got even more things. Drinks, more snacks, fruits, and the most important - the cake.

“I should have baked her a cake, but with this whole situation I didn’t even think about that.” Hanni held a simple, small vanilla cake. “I’ll bake a carrot cake just for her next time.”

“If I ask you to make me cream bread, would you do it?” Minji asked, scanning the iced coffees.

Hanni shook her head in disbelief. “What am I to you, Kim Minji? I give you private concerts, tutoring lessons, and now you want me to bake for you?”

Minji put a cold latte on the basket and faced Hanni, the short distance between them making her tower over her. That silly straight smile appeared on her lips as Minji patted her head again.

“You’re the only one who gives me love.”

.

“Lyrics from ‘Bad’, again?” Hanni scoffed, but oh my god her knees wanted to collapse. She could never tell if she was joking, or being serious, or using those lyrics because she loved the song. “So unoriginal, Minji.”

“You’re right, I should come up with my own.” Minji pretended to fix the cap on her head. “I’ll try, and then I’ll quote those instead of the ones from ‘Bad’. Does that sound good?”

She was joking, right? “I’ll be waiting. If they’re good enough, we can turn them into another original.”

“Oh, that’s a nice idea! I’ll work hard.” Minji looked down at the basket in her hands. “Do we have everything?”

“I think so.”

Minji led the way to pay, stopping at the pastries aisle first and grabbing two of their favorite cream bread. “Well, since you won’t bake them for me, I’ll just have to buy these.”

Hanni rolled her eyes. “Dramatic . I will try and make those, but I can’t promise they’ll turn out just as good.”

“Practice makes perfect.”

“Just admit you want me to make them regularly.”

“Bingo. And don’t worry, they’ll turn out a million times better. Why? Because you made them. You even managed to make me enjoy carrot cake, an impossible feat until I tasted yours.”

Someday Hanni feared she would straight up tell Minji to shut the up. Don’t get her wrong, though. She loved hearing those things. More than she would ever admit. She just had no idea how to deal with what she felt.

That still untitled feeling.

“I’ll take that as a compliment.” Hanni walked ahead to scan the items, a successful attempt to hide her face.

Walking back, Hanni enjoyed every second of the sun. The idea of going to the beach sounded better each moment.

“Do you think they’re done?” Hanni asked as they stepped inside the dorm building. “When exactly should we go there? Or should I text her?”

“I don’t think going there is a good idea, we don’t want to interrupt. Text her, tell her to meet us in my room when they’re done. Until then, let’s just chill there.”

Chill. More like, Minji lying on her bed against her pillows and playing some game on her phone while Hanni existed in there.

“What are you playing?” Hanni scooted closer.

“Project Sekai.”

“What’s that?”

“Rhythm game.”

Hanni observed as she picked a song. Not that it was any surprise that Minji would be good at it, she was a drummer after all, but jesus christ, the notes appeared so fast and there were so many that Hanni couldn’t even see them all. How was Minji hitting every single one of them?

“What the…” Hanni mumbled when the song was over.

“It’s super fun. Wanna try?”

“I’ll fail in the first three seconds.”

“I play in the highest difficulty, you can play in medium. You can do it, really.”

Minji shoved her phone in Hanni’s hands. Hanni scrolled through the dozens of songs. “Why is Hatsune Miku here?”

“That’s a Hatsune Miku game, and the songs are in Japanese. You can make fun of me.”

“Why would I? I just didn’t know you would like this kind of music.”

“I actually do. It’s fun and completely different. There are five different groups, and each has its own characters, and they’re all interconnected in the story. That’s basically a rhythm game and a visual novel at the same time. There’s a character that reminds me of you.”

“Of me? Why?”

“It’s this guy,” Minji, instead of just grabbing the phone again, held around Hanni’s hand as she clicked here and there, until the screen showed a cute guy. “Toya. He comes from a family of classical musicians, and his parents want him to follow in the same footsteps, but he doesn’t want to. He wants to play different genres and try out. Then he meets this other guy, Akito, and they learn a lot with each other, and they’re there for the other and all. And they’re like, so ing cute together.”

“T-That’s cute, yes.” Hanni babbled, but her mind was working a different way. Did Minji just compare the character to her, and then… was that a comparison to… themselves?

“Here, try this song, it’s really nice! It’s from my fav group.” Minji picked the song, changed the difficulty, and finally let go of Hanni’s hand.

The notes appeared on the screen, and Hanni did her best to press at the correct time. She knew it wasn’t that difficult, but her mind was still elsewhere. Just as she finished, Hanni’s phone chimed. She reached for it and opened the message from Danielle.

“We’ll be there in five,” Hanni read and faced Minji. “Should we prepare the cake now? Or leave it for later?”

“Are we eating dinner somewhere?”

“She said she wanted to as well. Maybe we’ll save the cake for dinner, then. But we can prepare the basket before they get here!”

The knock on the door echoed just as Hanni finished packing the fruits. Minji rushed to open the door, and Hanni’s chest burst with warmth as a grinning Danielle burst inside, hand in hand with Haerin.

“Happy birthday!” Minji opened her arms, receiving her in a tight hug.

“Thank you!” Danielle’s hyped voice was back. “For sure it is a happy birthday!”

“Got the best present possible?” Hanni smirked.

Haerin stood next to Danielle, a constant small, shy smile. Danielle raised their locked hands and squealed. “Everything I could ever ask for.”

“And a bit more.” Hanni held the basket in front of her. “You also asked for a picnic at the beach, remember?”

Danielle gasped, her free hand to her dropped chin. “Hanni! Wait, for real?”

“We went shopping while you sorted things out,” Minji said. “Hanni’s demand. She really wanted you to have the best birthday possible.”

Danielle’s eyes shone.

“Are you gonna cry again?” Hanni approached.

Nodding, Danielle let go of Haerin’s hand and pulled Hanni for a hug as well. “Happy tears! I’m so, so happy. Thank you so much, guys. I love you all so much.”

Hanni rubbed her back, eyes on Minji and Haerin. Minji elbowed her with a smirk, and Haerin just couldn’t stop smiling.

“I’m so happy for you, guys,” Minji said. “It’s official, right?”

Haerin nodded. “I asked her.”

“Wow, you did? Damn, Kang Haerin. I’m impressed.”

Danielle pulled away, cleaned her tears, and beamed again. “Yes, she asked me! And of course, I said yes. So, here’s Kang Haerin, my girlfriend.”

Hanni squealed, slapping Danielle’s arm. “Bro, you’re so adorable! Now I’m the one that’s going to cry.”

“No more crying! It’s time to celebrate! Wait, we’re going to the beach. I need to change! I wanna wear my swimsuit!”

“We’re going into the water?” Minji frowned.

“You bet I will! I miss swimming so much! You guys get yours too. Let’s meet at the entrance in half an hour. Let’s go, Hanni! Oh, and don’t forget the sunscreen!”

“The bus is there!” Danielle said. “Hurry up!”

The four of them set in a run, but only fits of chuckles echoed in the air. Danielle waved her hand, and it did the trick. Panting, they hopped on the bus and walked to the back. Haerin sat by the window, Danielle next to her. In front, Minji and Hanni.

“Feels like we’re on a school trip!” Danielle chirped.

The contrast from just a couple of hours before was abysmal. But Hanni couldn’t be happier.

“I still haven’t been to the beach here,” Minji said.

“Me neither! Only in my hometown. I don’t think you guys realize how happy and excited I am!”

“We know, Dani. We know.” Hanni smiled back at her.

Haerin stared at Danielle, her cat eyes not even blinking. So much adoration there, it got Hanni all mushy. Looking to her side, Minji faced out the window. She wore the same white cap, but with a baggy t-shirt now, and some blue swim shorts.

Wait. They were going to the beach. Was she about to see Minji…

Hanni gulped, shaking her head. Her cheeks were getting hot.

Danielle and Haerin chatted in Korean behind them, but Hanni and Minji were silent. A few minutes later, Minji leaned her head on Hanni’s shoulder.

“Tired?” Hanni asked.

Minji hummed. “Didn’t get much sleep.”

“You can… sleep there, if you’re comfortable enough.”

“Couldn’t be any more comfy.”

Hanni stiffened, her next breath all shaky. No more words were exchanged. But Minji’s hand moved to meet Hanni’s in her lap. And Hanni didn’t do anything to stop her.

Why would she? When she enjoyed it so damn much?

Leaning her head over Minji’s, Hanni closed her eyes.

“Guys, we’re here!”

A hand shook Hanni’s shoulder. She opened her eyes, and the first thing they marveled at was the wide ocean just ahead of them. She wowed and woke Minji up. She had the exact same reaction.

Danielle dashed to the sand, pulling Haerin with her and screaming in glee.

“I missed this so much!”

Without wasting another second, Danielle flung her t-shirt over her head. Hanni almost snorted noticing Haerin’s eyes going huge in her face. They picked a place and dropped their bags, towels, and the picnic basket. Hanni took in the sea breeze and the warm sun, looking around. The beach was beautiful, the sand extending miles away. Other people had the same idea as them - some played in the water, some played volleyball, others basked in the sun.

Facing her friends, Hanni almost choked on herself. Minji’s t-shirt was gone. She stood a bit ahead, her hands on her waist, and Hanni couldn’t help but look her head to toe. Toned legs, full back on display, save for the Adidas swim bra. Broad shoulders, muscular arms that Hanni had seen countless times, but still marveled at every single one.

Minji spun on her heels, facing Hanni, probably feeling her eyes eati- staring. And Hanni had to suppress a yelp. Because what the flying , what the hell, what the every single curse in this world and what in the name of every god, alive or dead, existent or fictional, was Kim Minji?

“Aren’t you gonna undress?” Minji asked. “Uh, that sounded weird, didn’t it?”

Hanni laughed. Such a weird, nervous, creepy chuckle that left her lips. She looked away, because it had been too long since she was staring at her bare stomach, and flung her one piece dress in a swift motion. And now she was the one feeling observed. She looked back and met Minji’s eyes for barely a second, because Minji looked elsewhere.

She was staring, wasn’t she?

Hanni got shy. She looked down at herself, at her flower pattern bikini, and it was like it only dawned on her at that moment - Minji was looking at her.

But, Danielle was also running around in a bikini. And Hanni didn’t feel shy standing in front of her like that.

“Wanna go try the water? They seem to be having fun,” Minji said.

Danielle and Haerin ran around in the shallow water, splashing each other. Their laughs and yelps were so loud Hanni could hear them from there.

“Try and keep up with me, loser,” Hanni said, taking off in a run towards the water.

“What?” Minji screamed after her. “What did you just say, Pham Hanni?!”

Hanni glanced back, and Minji was catching up. She yelled as she reached the water, louder even when her feet touched it.

“Say that again!”

Hanni turned and screamed again as Minji threw so much water at her that she didn’t have to dive.

“Kim Minji!” Hanni splashed her back, or tried, she couldn’t even properly open her eyes at the amount of water coming her way.

So, instead, Hanni dashed towards her as if about to tackle a rugby player and threw her down into the water, falling as well.

“You’re insane!” Minji said in a fit of chuckles.

“You are! I had to deal with it somehow!”

“I forgot you’re strong, even though tiny.”

Hanni decided to ignore that, throwing her a glare instead.

“The water is amazing,” Minji said, still submerged. “So warm.”

Hanni didn’t answer. Her eyes had found Danielle and Haerin a bit further away. Haerin’s hands were on her lower back, and Danielle said something that made Haerin giggle before pulling her for a kiss, as if they were alone.

“Stop staring, you creep,” Minji said, as her arms pulled Hanni up from the water, one on her knees, another on her back.

Hanni yelped, feeling her skin in contact with Minji’s. Just how strong was she, by the way? “P-Put me down, Kim Minji!”

Minji shrugged. “Okay.”

And she deadass dropped Hanni back in the water. Hanni struggled to stand up again, but when she did as she glared at Minji, she was ready for a fight. Minji laughed and ran away.

“Oh, you’re ed.” Hanni dashed after her.

But Minji was faster. Even in a giggle fit slowing her down, Hanni couldn’t reach her.

“Guys!” Danielle called. “Quit that and let’s eat!”

Hanni was running out of breath, so that was probably for the best. Dropping to her towel, Hanni laid down and closed her eyes. The sun prickled on her skin, and the feeling made her smile.

“Where do you guys wanna have dinner?” Danielle asked, sitting on her towel munching on her carrot sticks. “I’m gonna call Lily and the others to join us!”

“Anywhere is fine,” Minji said, setting her towel next to Hanni. “Just pick what you want to eat, and we’ll be there.”

“I miss Korean food,” Haerin said.

“Me too, actually!” Danielle slapped her leg, leaving her hand there. “Should we look for a Korean restaurant near college?”

“That sounds amazing. I miss it too,” Minji said.

Hanni gave them a thumbs up without opening her eyes, still busy getting that amazing sun bath.

“Loser,” Minji’s whisper scratched her ear.

Now her eyes shot open, just to find Minji lying next to her with a smug smirk plastered on her face. “I’ll get you next time.”

“I’ll be waiting.”

---

A/N - oh, this chapter!!!!!!! WE HAVE DAERIN!!!

For some reason I feel like Minji could actually play Project Sekai, like, she likes rhythm games, she loves jpop........ CAN SOMEONE ASK HER ON PHONING IF SHE PLAYS THE GAME :sob: 

Hope you enjoyed this chapter, I had so much fun writing this one!!!

Twitter - @itzloonatic
CuriousCat - curiouscat.me/itzloonatic