Someone close to you

Tugging at your Heartstrings

K-pop blasted from inside the big house, and Hanni was still outside. There was even a queue to get in.

What did she get into?

Not that she didn’t like parties, but that one seemed way too crowded and filled with people she didn’t know.

“I am SO excited!” Danielle held onto her arm. At least she was there with her. “Can’t wait to get in and dance!”

“Give me a bit of your energy, please.”

Danielle hugged her from the side and squealed, and Hanni couldn’t contain a chuckle.

“Better?”

“Definitely.”

Giving their names and showing their student cards at the entrance, they were finally in. The party was bursting with energy. Hanni wondered if that was Bang Chan’s house, or how in the world he managed to throw a party there.

“There they are!” Danielle pointed towards what seemed like a wide kitchen area, pulling Hanni with her.

“Hanni Pham!” Yunjin let go of Kazuha and pulled her bestie for a hug. “I’m so happy you came!”

Hanni hid in her neck and stole a bit of her energy as well, squeezing her body between her arms.

“I did.” Hanni pulled away and shook her whole body as if releasing the tension in her muscles. “I’m ready to have fun.”

“Now we’re talking!” Danielle raised a glass in the air.

“Hey, gimme some of that! Where did you get it?”

An unknown hand shoved a full glass against her stomach. She turned and found Bang Chan beaming at her. “Here you go, girl. No one is going to be left out in this party. And welcome!”

Heat crept under Hanni’s cheeks. “Thanks. What is it?”

“Gin. Not too strong, I promise. I don’t wanna kill anyone at my party, do I?” He chuckled, and oh boy was he cute. “A toast! To us, music students!”

The group raised their glasses with cheers louder than the music blasting around the whole house. Looking around, Danielle was already busy talking with someone Hanni didn’t know. The living room was filled with people dancing. A couple rushed upstairs, hand in hand. Wasn’t it too early to escape to one of the bedrooms?

And wasn’t Minji coming to the party as well? Hanni scanned around again, but in the middle of that sea of people, it would be impossible to spot the girl, even though she was taller than the average.

“Wouldn’t you?!” Lily’s voice boomed behind her. Hanni turned and joined the group as they discussed something. “Like, imagine they did something really bad to a friend of yours. Or, imagine they hurt Kazuha! Wouldn’t you want to murder them?”

“Oh, , they would be dead meat.” Yunjin balled a fist.

“Then, you know I’m right. Murder can be excusable.”

“What the hell?” Hanni snorted a loud laugh. “What am I missing?”

“Hanni! I was telling them that, sometimes, murder is excusable if the victim . Like, personally, I would never do it.” Lily paused, all eyes on her. “I mean… if someone was continuously hurting someone that I loved, and the ONLY way out was for me to murder them… I might do it, you know.” Another pause, and she faced Hanni. “What do you think?”

“Did you just admit you would murder someone?” Felix, the blonde guy next to her, said.

“Guys, no, like, probably no, right? But, hypothetically! Wouldn’t you, Felix?”

“Only if the person was like a murderer, or a pedo, or something.”

“But if you kill a murderer, doesn’t that make you one too?” Yunjin asked.

Kazuha chuckled, shaking her head. “You guys.”

“I would kill for you, though.” Yunjin turned to her, hands on her waist and face dead serious. “Like, if someone kidnapped you and I would have to kill them to save you, I would. So what if I would become a murderer?”

“Now, this is a love confession, everyone.” Lily pointed at them and clapped. “This should be the standard. Oh, when will I get someone that would kill for me?”

Felix laid a hand on her shoulder. “I think you need someone as deranged as you.”

“You have such unique ways to cheer someone up, Felix.”

“Am I late?”

The sudden voice made Hanni turn.

“Haewon!” Lily’s voice went up an octave. “Come, I’ll prepare you a drink.”

Haewon only had time to wave hello to her friends as Lily dragged her away. Felix shook his head. “Like, it’s right in front of her? Is she blind or what? That was exactly what I was talking about. Anyway, I’m gonna go get a refill as well. Do you want something?”

Hanni waved her hands. “No, I’m fine, thank you.”

Felix nodded and his heels, joining Chan and some other guys.

That was an interesting interaction. In the end, Hanni didn’t answer Lily’s question. Maybe that was for the best.

“Hanni!” Yunjin called. “Come here, you look like an abandoned puppy there.”

“Not my fault everyone left!” Hanni rushed to their side, ending up third wheeling as usual.

“Aren’t your friends around?”

Hanni pouted. “Dani has way too many friends to socialize with, and, well, I have you guys.”

“What about that other girl you told us about? Kim Minji?”

“She said she was coming, but I don’t know where she is.”

“Wanna go look for her? Oh, , I love this song! Let’s dance instead!”

Spicy by Aespa had just started, and it seemed Yunjin wasn’t the only one who loved the song. Without any better options, Hanni followed them to the improvised dance floor and let herself relax and dance to the beat.

And Hanni found that it was much more fun than she expected.

“Girl!” Danielle popped in front of her. “Having fun?”

“Having a blast!” Hanni finished the liquid in her glass.

“I told you it was gonna be fun! Hey, by the way, where’s Minji and Haerin?” Danielle had to shout for Hanni to hear her.

“I don’t know! But I do know I want one more drink!”

Danielle smirked and grabbed her hand, leading the way out of the dance floor. It was way less crowded in the kitchen.

“Hey!” A hand rested on Hanni’s shoulder. “Enjoying the party?”

Hanni looked up at a sweaty Chan. “Yes I am! How did you even manage to organize this?”

He winked at her. “I have my connections. By the way, Dani has spoken wonders about you. Say, if I happened to need help with a song, would you help me?”

“Oh.” Hanni giggled, a hand to her chest. “What did she say?”

“That you are super skilled and you helped her with her song. I’m a composer and songwriter myself, but sometimes a little help is welcomed.”

“And I’m sure you’re great. I’m afraid that since I’m already helping Dani with her song, I don’t know if I’ll be able. But, who knows. If you need it, hit me up. I might open an exception.”

“My, my, I’m flattered.” He smiled. “I’m mostly into rap and hip hop, but I…”

His voice faded as Hanni heard someone behind her - “Man, did you see her?”

“Who?”

“Minji Kim! She’s so ing hot.”

Hanni snapped her head back, glaring at the two boys walking into the kitchen.

“Bro, forget it. She’s so out of your league. Plus, did you see the guy she was talking to? Like, I’m sorry, but you have no chance.”

The other boy rolled his eyes with a huff and Hanni looked around her.

And this time she found her. Minji stood in the corridor, talking to a tall, indeed handsome guy.

“Is everything alright?” Chan asked.

“Yes. I…” Hanni peeked over her shoulder again. Minji laughed at whatever he said, and something stirred inside Hanni. “Sorry, there’s a friend that I wanted to see. Can we continue our talk some other time?”

“Oh, absolutely, no worries! I’ll let you know if I end up needing your help.”

“Alright! See you later.”

Danielle was coming back with her full glass, but Hanni was already on her way straight to Minji. The tall guy noticed her first, and as Minji turned and met her eyes, throwing her the prettiest smile she remembered, Hanni’s heart hit her rib cage.

“Hanni Pham!” Minji called, resting an arm around her shoulders and pulling her closer. “Hi!”

Hanni widened her eyes at the sudden proximity. Minji had always been taller, but she seemed even bigger from that close. “I almost thought you weren’t coming.”

“Yeah, sorry, I got caught up practicing, I didn’t even notice the time. By the way, this is Yeonjun!” Minji punched his shoulder. “Yeonjun, this is-“

“Hanni Pham. You made sure to scream her name when you saw her.” Yeonjun waved a hand. “Hi, it’s nice to meet you after hearing your name from Minji a lot.”

“W-What?” Hanni let out a nervous giggle, side eyeing Minji, but she was so close she couldn’t. And she had to literally look up at her…

“Yah, Choi Yeonjun!” Minji frowned, making the dimple between her eyebrows show up, and said something in Korean to him, which made him laugh. “Anyway, he’s a fellow classmate and drummer.” Minji got even closer, her lips almost touching Hanni’s ear, and whispered - “But I’m better than him.”

Yeonjun clicked his tongue. “She’s saying she’s better than me, isn’t she? Can you come up with something else, MJ?”

Minji shrugged, taking her beer to her lips, and a large gulp. “I spit facts only.”

“It’s true, though. She is better than me.” Yeonjun leaned against the wall, arms crossed. “She’s amazing. Have you seen her playing the drums?”

“Yeah, I’ve seen her,” Hanni said, surprised that her voice didn’t falter. Minji was still holding her shoulder as if her life depended on it. “But I don’t think I’ve seen the real thing yet.”

“Probably not. You should see her in class. Leaves every single chin low.”

“And did you know she plays a lot of stuff?” Minji gripped her shoulder harder, rocking her. “You give her an instrument to her hands and she’ll play it!”

“Oh, it’s not like that.” Hanni shook her head. “I don’t play any instrument as well as you play the drums.”

“Well, but you play several. I can only play the drums. Lame.”

“It’s not lame!” Hanni faced her, but now didn’t look away. “I can see how passionate you are about the drums. I can play several things because I just can’t… choose anything.”

“And?” Minji met her eyes. “Who said you need to choose?”

All her life, she heard the opposite. And yet, with one single sentence, Minji dethroned everyone else who convinced Hanni that there was no way she could just play whatever she wanted.

Yeonjun cleared his throat, making both look ahead at him. “So, I guess I’ll leave you girls to your lively conversation. I’m gonna try and find Soobin, see if he’s not fighting Beomgyu for… the last chip, or something. See ya around.”

With a last smile, Yeonjun left.

“Uh, did we upset him?” Hanni asked.

“Not at all. What he said might be true. His friends are kinda crazy.” There was a short pause, and Minji still hadn’t let go. “Wanna go outside? It’s really hot in here.”

Because of you.

“S-Sure.”

At last, Minji let go of her, but not entirely. She grabbed her hand instead and led the way through the sea of people on the way. Leaving the party, Hanni spotted Danielle sitting with Haerin near the entrance. She also came, after all.

The fresh air felt stupidly good after being inside for so long. Hanni didn’t ask where they were going when Minji dragged her forward, crossing the road. Then she spotted a small park a few more steps ahead. The swings were occupied, but a certain bench on the other side wasn’t. Minji dropped there, letting go of her hand, and Hanni sat next to her.

Minji chuckled. “Didn’t even notice I still had the beer in my hand. Well.”

She chugged the remaining liquid and set the can next to her. Hanni observed her, as Minji looked ahead. The light from the lamppost outlined her side profile. And it might as well be the prettiest Hanni had ever laid her eyes on.

“I used to spend so much time on the swings,” Minji said. “Like, all of my breaks. Good memories. But then I would be late for class and get scolded. Guess those are not so good memories.”

Hanni noticed Minji had a gummy smile when it was big and wide. Her eyes became crescents, and when she laughed, her pointy fangs poked out.

Something buzzed in Hanni’s ears.

“So, Yeonjun, uh?” Hanni found herself asking, almost making a face. Why would she mention that?

“Hm? What about him?”

“I don’t know, you tell me. He’s cute and all. And he called you MJ?”

Minji faced her and burst out laughing. Hanni frowned.

“Just a nickname he came up with. Said it sounds cool, like me. And I mean, yes, he is cute, and funny and cool, but he’s just a friend, if that’s what you’re asking. And he has a boyfriend.”

“Oh.”

“Yeah. Soobin, the one he mentioned he would look for. He’s around the party. They’re super cute together.”

“I-I bet.”

“What about you?”

“What… about me?”

“I don’t know, you tell me,” Minji smirked. “Got your sights on someone?”

“Oh, uh.” Hanni gulped. “No, not really.”

Minji irked an eyebrow. “That did so not sound convincing, though. But okay, I will not bug you about it.”

It was true. Hanni did not have anyone she liked.

Then why did it feel like she just blatantly lied?

“What about you, then?” Hanni pushed the thought away. “Do you have your sights on someone?”

Minji didn’t answer right away. She smiled and met Hanni’s eyes. “No.”

Hanni nodded and faced ahead, her turn to stare at the boys on the swings.

Why was her chest so tight?

“It still feels so weird that it’s like, summer? In March? It’s still super cold in Korea,” Minji broke the silence.

“To me, it’s weird that it’s the other way around, too. How are you enjoying Australia so far? Except for the inverted weather.”

“I’m enjoying it. I feel like I’m learning a lot already.”

“Me too. And it’s the first time I’m away from home, and have a roommate and all. Are you getting along well with Haerin? Still think she’s odd?”

“Yeah, but a good kind of odd. She’s really cute and precious and... She reminds me of my sister, somehow. And it makes me want to take care of her and protect her.”

Hanni smiled. “That’s so cute. I have a sister as well. Younger than me.”

“Mine’s younger as well. She’s fifteen.” Minji sighed. “My forever baby Hyein. I hope she’s doing well. She just started high school, and I’m not there for her.”

“I’m sure she’s doing great.”

“I miss her.” Minji scoffed, shaking her head and clasping her hands together in her lap. “It’s been what, two weeks? Since I’m here? And I already miss her like crazy. My parents too, of course. Even my brother.”

Panic took control of Hanni’s body, making her reach for Minji’s clasped hands. She slid hers in between Minji’s and intertwined their fingers, making Minji meet her gaze.

“It doesn’t matter if you’re here for only two weeks. It’s normal to miss your family. It means you love them. And don’t you dare feel ashamed of that.”

Minji paused, showing a small smile. “Thank you, Hanni. Do you miss your family as well?”

“I do. I call and videochat them almost every day. You should too.”

“It might be silly, but I try not to do it that often because I think I’ll miss them even more.” Minji sighed again, leaning her head against Hanni’s shoulder, and there she stayed. “And I can’t bear to hear Hyein say she misses me.”

Hanni had to look up at the night sky not to let a tear fall at the way Minji’s voice wavered at the end.

“But it’s normal that she does. And I’m sure she needs you more than ever. I know you can’t be there for her in person, but sometimes just a text is enough to make someone’s day.”

“A text doesn’t protect her against stupid people. I never understood why, but she was always picked on at school. Made fun of. And I can’t stand that. But now I’m… I’m not there to protect her.”

Minji sniffed and Hanni lost it. She turned and hugged Minji, caressing her hair. Minji’s arms s around her torso, and Hanni could feel her warm breath against her neck.

“I’m sorry,” Hanni whispered. “I don’t know what to say to that.”

“How do you cope? What should I do?”

“Be there for her as much as you can. Text, call, tell her you’re thinking of her. Ask her how was her day, and to tell you about her worries. And you do, too. Don’t hide how you feel. Don’t stop yourself from saying you miss her.”

“Is that what you do?”

Hanni nodded on her shoulder. “Yeah.”

“I was never good at speaking my feelings out. But I’ll try.”

“You did it pretty well just now.”

“That’s because I had alcohol.” Minji pulled away, wiping her tears and chuckling at herself. “I’m sorry, this was so random and uncalled for. Guess I shouldn’t drink so much next time.”

Hanni shook her head. “Don’t worry. Friends are for this.”

Minji met her eyes, trapping her in her gaze. “Thank you, Hanni. Honestly, I’ve been keeping this to myself, all this time. I don’t even have friends here to talk about this.”

“What, of course you do!” Hanni frowned. “You have Haerin, Dani, Yeonjun. You have me, too.”

“Yeah, but… I normally don’t do deep talking, especially with people I don’t consider close.”

Hanni swallowed dry. “Then… am I someone close to you?”

“I guess you are, Hanni Pham.”

Her heart did a thing. Blocked her ears, sent her mind spinning for a second.

“G-Good, because I didn’t want this to be one-sided!”

Minji stared down at her lap. “Seriously, though… Thank you. I’ll try what you said.”

“I’m sure you’ll feel better. Hyein too.”

“I really worry for her. It’s a new school, new classmates… what if she gets bullied?”

“I’m sure she’ll find close friends to be there for her. And I’m also sure she’s strong. With an older sister like you to set the example, there’s no way she’s not.”

“I hope you’re right. But I’ll make sure to check on her more often.”

Hanni nodded and silence fell over. Not an awkward one. Rather comfortable.

“By the way, do you wanna participate in Dani’s song?” Hanni asked, breaking the silence. “She did the guitar, I came up with the keys, but now she also wants the drums. She said she wasn’t sure if she could ask you, so I’m asking for her.”

“Dani, shy to ask me something?” Minji irked an eyebrow. “That’s not very Dani of her, is it? Isn’t she like, super outgoing and all?”

“Maybe you intimidate her.”

“Me? Why would I? She was the one to introduce herself to me! And she’s always super friendly. Do you think I’m intimidating?”

Hanni side eyed her and chuckled. “You just cried on my shoulder. Oh my gosh, I am so intimidated, Kim Minji!”

“Yah!” Minji hit her leg, pinching over Hanni’s jeans. “Maybe I shouldn’t have trusted you, after all.”

Hanni pouted.

“Wow, now you’re sulking?” Minji laughed. “You’re cute, though. I forgive you.”

“Forgive me?” Hanni scoffed. “You’re the one telling me that you shouldn’t have trusted me, and you’re the one forgiving me? For what, even?! You should be the one apologizing! You hurt my feelings!”

Minji’s lips became a thin line. “I’m sorry. I was joking, I didn’t want to hurt you. I tend to be comfortable with people and joking around.”

“Oh, no, don’t worry. I was joking too. I’m kinda like that as well.”

Minji nodded. “You didn’t answer my question, though.”

“Well, to be honest, I was intimidated when you sat next to me. But it was not because you did something. It’s just…” that you’re the prettiest girl I’ve ever seen? “Your aura. It’s like, cool and… strong. Fierce.”

Minji irked an eyebrow and smirked. “Nice to know. Thank you.”

“And you didn’t answer my question.”

“Oh, about Dani’s song? Sure. Count me in.”

“Nice! And I bet she’ll try to convince Haerin to do the bass line. She’s super invested in that song.”

“Haerin will probably say no at first, but I’m sure Dani will convince her. And Haerin is far, far from being intimidating.”

“True. She’s very cute.”

Minji pouted, her eyebrows drawing together and up at the center. “What about me? Am I not cute? I can be cute too.”

Hanni’s chest did that thingie again. She flared her nostrils and pinched Minji’s cheek. “Not doing that silly face!”

“Then, when am I cute?”

Always. “Never. A-Anyway, wanna head back inside?” Hanni shivered from the wind blowing harder. “It’s getting colder.”

Minji’s arm came around her shoulders as she scooted closer and hugged her from the side, head on her shoulder just like before. “Honestly, no. It’s so nice outside.”

Suddenly, it was warm again.

“And by the way, yes, you are cute,” Hanni said.

---

A/N - OH IT'S STARTINGGGGGGGGGGGGGG I am SO EXCITEDDDDDDDDDD

and yes, that Lily convo is from her iconic live where she tasks about murder and whatnot, I wrote what she LITERALLY said, I just love it so much I couldn't waste the opportunity AHAHAHAHA

more fluff next chapter!!!! but not only................... :)))

Twitter - @itzloonatic
CuriousCat - curiouscat.me/itzloonatic