Good at pretending

Tugging at your Heartstrings

The door opened behind Hanni.

“Hey, Hanni!” Danielle’s lively voice filled the previous silence in their shared room.

“Hey. How was practice?” Hanni twirled her chair.

Danielle kicked her shoes off and sat on her bed. “Great! I mean, the song I and Lily were trying to come up with sounded like utter trash, but in the end, we managed to at least write some decent lyrics, and Lily did a nice chord progression on the keys. So it was still productive! And we got a good laughing dose.”

Hanni stared at her, chin low. “Wow. I mean… I’m glad you still did something.”

“Yeah. She’s nice to work with as well! She also plays the piano. And did you know she used to have a band in high school? And even performed in several cities! So cool.”

Of course there would be other skilled people there. What did Hanni expect?

“Don’t you miss playing in a big orchestra?” Danielle asked, lying down on her bed.

Hanni scrunched her nose. “No. Absolutely ing not. The culture is really… tough. I got tired of the whole classical thing, and I wanted to try something new and different. That’s why I came here. I was studying about the history of jazz just now before you arrived.”

“Really? That’s so cool! It’s Haerin’s favorite genre! She loves jazz. Do you want to try to do a jazzy song? I’m all for trying new stuff. That’s why today’s song was just garbage, I think I went a little too far on trying out.” Danielle chuckled. “But that’s okay, next time I’ll do something better.”

Once again, Hanni was at a loss for words. Danielle’s approach to music was just… admirable. Hanni was just a tiny bit jealous.

“Yes, I wanna try. But first, we need to finish your song. Minji agreed to help.”

Danielle bolted up on her bed, eyes big. “You asked her?!”

“Yeah, yesterday at the party.” Hanni gulped, memories of the previous night flashing on her mind. Of how she hugged Minji, and held her hand. Her face felt hot all of a sudden. “I mean, outside. We went outside to get some air and I asked her.”

Squealing, Danielle jumped from the bed to hug Hanni. “Thank you! Oh, you’re the best!”

Hanni grinned. “No worries. And let me guess, you asked Haerin to do the bass, didn’t you? I saw you talking yesterday.”

Danielle went rigid as she pulled away. “H-How did you know?”

“Come on, I saw your face the second she said she played the bass.” Hanni wiggled her eyebrows.

Danielle huffed. “You’re so right. It’s like the universe sent what I needed my way! And isn’t she so cute? Haerinie.”

“She is.”

“No, ‘cuz… I know she’s shy, we all can see it. So yesterday when I approached her, I tried to be careful not to be… well, too much of myself.” Danielle dropped to her chair, pulling it closer to Hanni. “And when I tell you she is the cutest girl ever…” she sighed. “Anyway! Poor girl, she went with Minji and ended up sitting alone because that was just too much for her. So we ended up leaving as well. And when we were just the two of us, she actually spoke. Like, a lot! I just had to ask about music and the bass and you could see her beautiful cat eyes sparkling. That’s why I know she loves jazz.”

Hanni used all her might not to chuckle. “That’s cute as hell. So you asked her?”

“I did! She said yes!”

“Really? Minji said she would probably say no at first. It’s nice that she accepted!”

Danielle irked an eyebrow. “It was really easy to ask her. I wasn’t afraid. I guess your pep talk from the other day helped and I was more confident in asking! And I know it’s not like I couldn’t work on the song on my own, but I’m getting attached to this song and I really want it to be good. That’s why I’m asking y’all to help me.”

“Awn, Dani, you’re so cute. And I’m super glad I can help! I’m sure they are as well!”

“I hope so. I hope I’m not just being a nuisance to them and they felt obligated to say yes…”

“What, of course not! Where did you even get that idea? What about the pep talk?”

Danielle shrugged. “You’re right, don’t mind me! Anyway! Sorry I interrupted your studies, please go on. I’ll rest a bit before dinner.”

But not even a minute went by when Danielle spoke again. “Actually, let’s hit the gym.”

Hanni frowned so hard at her it hurt her forehead. “What did you just say?”

“You haven’t been there yet, have you? It’s really nice, and I think I need to release this tension in my muscles. I played a lot of the guitar today, you know.”

Hanni noticed Danielle holding her phone as if texting someone.

“I mean…” Hanni checked the time. “It’s still six. Sure, why not? I’ve been sitting all day, I guess it will do me good too. And you’re right, I haven’t been there yet. It’s been a while since I exercised.”

“See! Okay, cool, let’s go.”

Hanni did her best to contain a giggle all while they prepared to go downstairs, because she was so sure a certain someone would be there.

And Hanni might as well play the lottery, because the first thing she saw as she stepped inside the gym, aside from the countless machines, was Haerin walking on a treadmill.

“Haerinie!” Danielle called, not minding a bit about the other people around.

Hanni giggled, following a few steps behind.

“Oh, hi.” Haerin paused the machine, stepping down. “You came.”

“Of course! Hanni too.”

Haerin smiled and waved at her.

“Hey, Haerin-”

“Hanni Pham?”

The deep voice made Hanni spin on her heels, and if it wasn’t for Minji’s fast reflexes holding on to her arms, she would have fallen flat on her .

“Sorry, didn’t mean to scare you,” Minji said, half worried half laughing.

“N-No, I just tripped.”

Not Minji being the reason and also her savior, what kind of fanfi—

“Hey, Minji!” Danielle chirped. “Hanni told me you said yes to helping me! Thank you so much!”

The buzz was back to Hanni’s ears. And the warmth on the back of her neck. Minji wore a tank top yet again, but a very… baggy one. And shorts. And a high ponytail as well. And the way she smiled as she answered Danielle, her eye smile and the fangs and the sharp jawline, and the single drop of sweat running down her temple-

“Hanni!” Danielle gripped her arm. “Did you hear me?”

“Sorry, what?” Hanni fanned herself with her hand, facing away. Was the AC off at the freaking gym or what?

“Monday after classes! Let’s get together and work on the song!”

“Count me in.”

“Perfect! I am so excited, you guys don’t understand!” Danielle clapped. “And thank you so much for helping me, it means a lot!”

Minji patted Danielle’s shoulder. “No worries, it will be fun for us too.”

“Cool! Okay, I’m gonna warm up on the treadmill.”

Danielle hopped on the one next to Haerin and she went back at it as well, chatting about whatever.

“Well.” Minji rested her hands on her waist. “Wanna keep me company?”

“What were you doing?”

“Arms.”

Hanni gulped. “Sure.”

Minji led the way, Hanni followed. Just like the several pairs of eyes as they crossed the gym to the other side.

“Bro, look somewhere else?” Hanni gritted between her teeth, throwing frowns at the boys.

“Hm?” Minji peeked back. “Who?”

“Everyone? Doesn’t it bother you?”

“They’re looking because you’re pretty.”

“I-“ what?! “T-They’re looking at you!”

Minji stopped near one of the available machines, faced Hanni, and shrugged with a smirk. “It’s definitely because I’m with you. But don’t worry, I won’t let them even get near you.”

Even if Hanni had all the time in the world to think of an answer, she wouldn’t still. Minji was unbelievable.

“Wanna try?” Minji pointed at the machine. “I can help you.”

“I didn’t even warm up. Better… not go right at it.”

“Oh, then warm up first. I’ll do one more set.”

How in the world could Hanni focus on warming up when Minji was in front of her flexing like that? Her eyebrows drew together each time she pulled her arms down, lifting who knew how much weight, making her biceps pop in a way Hanni hadn’t seen before.

And Hanni knew Minji had a protective side, but… where did that come from? The guys were definitely looking at Minji, not at her. And she didn’t like that one bit. It wasn’t as if she didn’t get why they were looking… Hanni herself was looking. But how wasn’t Minji bothered by it? Her focus didn’t waver. Her posture didn’t slack. She didn’t make a sound, her breathing always stable, and no matter how hard she frowned, she didn’t stop until she got all the reps.

Kim Minji was incredible.

She let out a heavy, loud exhale through her nose and lowered her arms, shaking them away.

“You okay?” Hanni approached.

Minji nodded, looking up at her from the bench. Red painted her whole face, more drops of sweat, and yet, she looked gorgeous.

“Your turn.” Minji stood up, reaching for the towel to clean her face. “Want me to lower the weight?”

“Uh, yes, please. I don’t even know how much it was, but I do know I can’t lift that.”

“Twenty five.”

“Twenty-“ Hanni choked on her own. “What?!”

Minji snorted a laugh. “Sit down. Is fifteen okay?”

“No?!”

“Yes, it is. You can do it. Come on, eight reps to start.”

“Are you my personal trainer or what?”

“Do you want me to be?” Minji irked an eyebrow.

“No, thanks.” Hanni flared her nostrils. “That sounds like hell.”

“Wow, being with me is hell?”

“I didn’t say that!” Hanni slapped her bicep. Rock hard. “K-Kim Minji!”

“Nah uh, it’s miss Kim Minji.” Minji patted the top of her head.

“Miss your i-“ she stopped herself, biting her tongue not to finish that sentence.

Minji scoffed. “Wow, were you about to curse at me?”

“N-No?” Hanni’s face burned at that point.

“You totally were!” Minji burst out laughing, holding herself on her knees. “Yah, Hanni Pham, finish that sentence.”

Hanni ignored her and grabbed the handles above her head. With all her might, she pulled them down. Except, she couldn’t. Minji laughed even more, having to sit down.

“Gimme a second while I go put on some clown makeup.” Hanni rolled her eyes.

“Ah, man!” Minji held onto her belly. “I’m so glad you came.”

“Go on, laugh at my expense.”

Minji leaned forward, resting her forearms on Hanni’s lap, and looked up at her with that smile of hers. “I’m sorry. It’s just so much fun to be around you. Thank you for making me laugh like this.”

What… what was that blooming feeling on Hanni’s stomach? Why was her heart beating like crazy when she didn’t work out at all?

Why did Minji have to be so goddamn pretty?

Minji cleared and stood up. “Let me lower the weight.”

Hanni faced down, her hands trembling on her lap.

“Okay, try again. I’m sure now you can.”

Yes. She could now. Those unknown feelings fueled her energy gauge.

Hanni would focus on working out for real. She agreed to go to the gym for that, not to question what the hell was wrong with her every time she locked eyes with Minji.

Hanni stepped inside practice room number 5, as if it was always destined to be available when she needed it. Danielle had a quick meeting with her assignment group, so Hanni had at least an hour to kill.

To study or to work on one of her songs?

Opening the folder on her computer with her infinite amount of WIPs that she would probably never finish anyway, she found those damned lyrics she was trying to finish for the longest time. But instead of going back to them, she opened a new document and typed the first thing that went through her mind.

When I first saw you, I remember
Oh, what a beautiful sight
How to even describe it?
It got me flustered, alright

And when you smile, I feel it
My heart goes crazy, just a little bit

And why did those come so… easily? Was it because that situation had happened recently?

A knock on the door interrupted Hanni’s train of thought.

“Yes?”

The door opened and the second Minji came into sight, Hanni slammed the laptop down.

“Damn.” Minji chuckled, closing the door after her. “What kind of content were you watching that felt so illegal for me to see?”

“I wasn’t watching anything! Jesus, Kim Minji, get your mind out of the gutter.” Her cheeks were already burning, for ’s sake.

“Wow, the fact that you assumed I was talking about that when I wasn’t. Guess you’re the one with your mind in the gutter.” Minji dropped her backpack at the corner.

Hanni glared at her. “ you.”

“Ha! You finally said it!” Minji laughed, walking over and laying a hand on her head, lightly scratching the roots of her hair. “You look like one of those tiny red-eyed rabbits. You know what I’m talking about? They’re so tiny and cute, but then so aggressive.”

“Tiny your !” Hanni punched Minji’s stomach.

Minji wheezed. “Oof, nice punch. If I knew you could throw them, I would have taken you to the punching bags instead. Looks like you have some steam to blow.”

“Now we’re talking. Take me there the next time.”

“Deal. Now, wanna jam?”

“How did you even know I was here?”

“I guess we had the same idea. Came here before our practice to play on our own. Guess we’ll do it together. Or, you can finally teach me the guitar.”

“Haerin didn’t come with you?”

“She went back to the dorm, to take a nap before practice. There’s still an hour left, so. Now, wanna jam or not?”

“To what?”

Minji shrugged, stretching her arms up. “Improv. See if you can keep with my drums.”

Oh, a competition? Now Minji caught her attention.

Hanni moved the synth so she could be in front of Minji and sat, changing the settings for an electric guitar type of sound.

“Whenever you’re ready,” Hanni said, cracking her knuckles.

Without an answer, Minji grabbed the drumsticks and hit them four times before starting her drum show. Just like the first time, Hanni froze. In the short time she had known Minji, she had found her cool in different settings. But none compared to the drummer Minji.

Remembering what she was supposed to do, she focused down and let her fingers do the magic, as if she didn’t control them. Minji looked up from the drums and threw her a smirk, and good god, could she become even more attractive?

No. No?

Hanni lost focus. Slowed down, until she gave up, and let Minji shine alone, enjoying the show. A private concert didn’t sound bad at all. But eventually, Minji stopped as well.

“Guess you can’t keep up.” Minji shrugged.

“You’re so annoying. Yeonjun was right.”

“For real now, are you okay? You look… absent.”

Hanni smiled at her, even if half forced. “Guess I really can’t keep up with you.”

Minji squinted her eyes at her. “Did you eat?”

“Lunch, yes.”

Rolling her eyes, Minji reached for her bag, took a cream bread, and threw it. Hanni managed to grab it, frowning, eyeing it and Minji in turns.

“What?” Minji opened her own bread package.

“I love this. I ing love bread. Like, this is one of my favs.”

“Really? Me too. Bread is the best.”

Without adding anything else, because, what else to say when the prettiest girl ever offered you bread?, Hanni devoured hers.

“Since the improv didn’t go so well, teach me the guitar.” Minji brought the stool and sat next to Hanni.

“I didn’t bring mine with me.”

“There’s an electric guitar behind you.”

“Guess it works.”

Hanni put the guitar in her lap and adjusted her posture.

“I can’t learn if the guitar is in your hands. Gimme that.”

Minji stole the guitar from her and held it like she knew exactly what she was doing.

“Fair. Okay, do you know any chords at all?”

“Uh.” Minji eyed the fretboard and placed her fingers on top of three specific strings. “Is this C Major?”

“Yes, it is. You’re not a total beginner, I see?”

“It’s the only one I know.”

“Okay, then, let’s try F Major.”

Hanni reached forward, but hesitated. They literally held hands before, for ’s sake. She grabbed Minji’s left hand and placed each finger over the string and fret it should be for that chord.

For a bit, Hanni taught her a total of four chords, which Minji memorized without a problem.

“Now try to play a bit. Alternate between three of those chords.” Hanni leaned back on her chair.

Minji nodded and tried, starting with the C Major chord, the one she already knew. She strung on the guitar, and Hanni couldn’t help but smile. She looked so cute, all focused and trying to remember where she should put her fingers for the next chord.

“Here.” Hanni reached again, helping her.

Trying again, Minji messed up, pressing on the wrong fret. But quickly she fixed it, without Hanni’s help this time. She kept going, but once again, she mixed up two chords and it sounded all wrong.

“No, for F Major, it’s here and-“

“Let me.” Minji’s voice sounded even deeper than normal, and Hanni could feel how her teeth pressed together.

Hanni stopped, and let her figure it out for herself. But it felt that, as Minji kept trying and failing, she only messed up more and more. Her jaw clenched, and Hanni didn’t like the sight.

“Let me help-“

“I know!” Minji’s voice boomed in the room, making Hanni recoil. “I get it, you know everything! I can do it, just let me ing try it! I know it too!”

The sudden anger in Minji’s voice pierced Hanni like knives. Minji clenched her jaw so hard she could see it in her cheeks.

“What…” Hanni couldn’t even complete a sentence.

Minji huffed and stood up, setting the guitar against the wall. Grabbing her backpack, she aimed for the door and stormed away.

Hanni froze. What… what the hell just happened? What did she do? Was she too pushy? Too annoying? Too… full of herself?

It was just like before. Every ing time. She only wanted to help. She only…

Tears rolled down Hanni’s eyes. Why did that keep happening? It must be true, then.

She was a know-it-all.

The door opened again, and Hanni rushed to wipe her face. Danielle and Haerin stepped inside, all giggly and cheeky.

“Hey, Hanni!” Danielle kissed the top of her head. “Minji’s not here yet?”

“She said she was coming earlier.” Haerin dropped her bass case to the ground.

“Hm, she…” Hanni cleared . “Had to leave. I guess it’s just us.”

Danielle’s face dropped. “Is she okay?”

“Yeah, yeah. Just something came up. She was very sorry, though. And she’ll work extra hard on the next practice. We can work on the bass line today, yes?”

Danielle shared a look with Haerin, and Haerin gave her a smile.

“Let’s go then!” Danielle unpacked her guitar.

At least Hanni was good at pretending.

---

A/N - worry not, this won't last long, fluff is coming back SOON SOON hehe

and I wonder who Hanni was thinking about when she wrote those lyrics ahahaha.................

Twitter - @itzloonatic
CuriousCat - curiouscat.me/itzloonatic