How can my day be bad?

Tugging at your Heartstrings

“You’re smiling,” Minji said as Hanni opened the door. Was she? “I guess I’m not annoying you today?”

“I guess you really like my company. But it’s raining today.”

“I do. And I didn’t intend on going for a walk. Just… can I come in?”

“Of course.” Hanni took a step aside, and Minji went ahead. “Did anything happen?”

“Dani’s in my room. With Haerin.”

“Oh.” Hanni closed the door, gulping at the realization of having Minji there.

“Yeah.” Minji took a look around. “What were you doing?”

“Uh. R-Reading.”

Minji irked an eyebrow at her. “Why did that sound suspicious? What exactly were you reading?”

“Kim Minji not having her mind in the gutter challenge - failed.”

“Again? I just asked what you were reading. You assumed I was thinking that.”

Hanni rolled her eyes and sat on her bed, reaching for the abandoned book between her pillows. Minji sat next to her and took it from her hands.

“Jazz?” Minji opened it on a random page, sliding through.

“Yeah, I’ve been studying about it. I like it.”

“Me too.”

Minji kicked her shoes off and scooted back on Hanni’s bed, resting against the bigger pillow with Jerry in her arms.

“I was there, you know?” Hanni shook her head.

“Oops.”

“Unbelievable. You come to my room, you steal my spot, Jerry, and my book. What else?”

Minji shrugged and kept reading the book. Hanni stared at her, blatantly. Her nose was so pretty. And her thick eyebrows, and the way her hair fell and Minji tucked it behind her ear, showing her helix piercings. And was her jawline always that sharp?

“What song is this?” Minji asked, catching her staring.

“Hm?” Hanni snapped out of it, reaching for her phone. She knew what song it was, but she needed something to try and hide her face with. “’Bad’, by Wave to Earth.”

“Never heard of them. I love it.”

“You don’t know them? They’re Korean.”

“Oh. Well, do you know every Australian band and singer?”

Hanni chuckled. “Fair enough. They’re amazing, one of my favorite bands, actually. I love their style. This mix of indie rock and jazz and lo-fi. It’s so… dreamy.”

“Indeed. The lyrics are so nice. I can relate.”

“How so? You’ve been watching Netflix all day long?” Hanni giggled again, quoting a sentence from the lyrics.

“How could my day be bad when I’m with you?”

The laughter died. Hanni swallowed dry and her chest hurt. But she couldn’t look away from Minji’s gaze.

There’s a brown hue in your eyes
How pretty it is
I think I’m in love

Hanni slapped Minji’s leg, sounding the most forced laugh it ever did. “Awn, you’re actually so sweet! When you’re not making fun of me for whatever reason.”

Minji’s smile was still there. Just the corner of her lips. “Is that your guitar?” She pointed at the foot of the bed.

“Hm? Yeah.”

“Play me something.”

In a normal situation, Hanni would whine. But having a chance to leave Minji’s gaze? Her legs almost gave in when she tried to stand up, and her hands trembled as she reached for the case against the corner of the room. Squatting down, she took her time to open it and get her acoustic guitar.

What did Minji mean? What… was that just now? Why would Minji say that? That was clearly a… love song. Did she hear the lyrics right?

Or… she wasn’t flirting, was she?

That was something Danielle would say. Hanni was just surprised because Minji was the one saying it, and she normally didn’t say cheesy things like that.

So why was Hanni’s heart still on such a rampage? Why did that leave her so… nervous? She wouldn’t have had that reaction if it was Danielle saying it.

“You okay?” Minji asked.

“Yeah!” Hanni sat again. “What do you wanna hear?”

“Anything. You know, I don’t know what you actually like to listen to. Aside from classical, and now this cool band. So, surprise me, I guess.”

Surprise her, uh? There was a song Hanni loved to play. A very weirdly specific song, but that somehow always managed to bring her some comfort and peace. So she looked down and let the soothing melody fill in the room.

It wasn’t anything hard, or that properly showcased Hanni’s guitar skills. But a song that she played from her heart instead.

Finishing a couple of minutes later, she faced Minji, to find her chin low.

“I cannot believe you just played that,” Minji said.

Hanni blinked. “You… know this song?”

“I love Daughter.”

“Bro.” Hanni widened her eyes. “But this is from-“

“Before the Storm, I know. I played that game. I love the soundtrack. It’s been a while since I’ve listened to it. Oh, man, now I’m nostalgic as . Thank you, Hanni.”

“Was that ironic?”

“No, not at all! I really wanna listen to everything now.”

“Oh. It’s a good nostalgic, then. I didn’t play the game, but Yunjin did, and she showed me a few songs, then I listened to more of Daughter and I loved it. I know a few more on the guitar.”

“Really?” Minji leaned forward, sitting cross-legged and holding Jerry against her chest. “Can you… play one more?”

How could Hanni ever say no to that pout? It was unfair, honestly. But she didn’t protest, because, in fact, she missed playing those songs. So for a few more minutes, Hanni played the guitar, occasionally stealing a glance or two. The golden hour light bled through the window, reflecting on Minji’s face, illuminating it as if she were a statue. A masterpiece sculpted by Aphrodite’s own hands.

“It’s like you’re Max playing the guitar, and I’m Chloe, just enjoying. The whole setting, just…” Minji cleared . “You’re amazing, Hanni. Like I told you. But even more, because I was yet to listen to you playing the guitar for real. I could listen to it for hours.”

Hanni gripped the neck of her guitar. Like Max and Chloe? “I can play more for you. And, you know, this sounds better in an electric guitar. I can… try that next time, instead.”

Minji’s smile should be illegal. “I’ll remember that. But now teach me some more.” She scooted closer, sitting next to her. “Oh, teach me one of the songs! The easiest.”

Without a protest, Hanni showed her first how to do it, going slow and explaining the first few seconds before passing her the guitar. Minji held it, and Hanni helped her place her fingers over the correct strings. And as she did so, she noticed something on Minji’s knuckles. Red and rough.

“What happened?” Hanni took a closer look at the scratches.

“Oh. I got in a fight.”

“You what?!”

“With the boxing bag.”

Minji held her laugh for one, two, not even three seconds. Hanni scoffed, only making her laugh harder and louder. She didn’t remember seeing Minji laughing so hard. The way her eyes turned into crescents, and her freaking gummy smile… her fangs peeked out, and her upper lip did a weird thing where it folded because of how thick it was? Hanni had never seen anything like that.

She truly had never seen someone with such raw beauty.

“W-What the hell, Minji!” Hanni snapped out of her trance and slapped her arm. “For ’s sake, man, you scared me!”

“I am so sorry! But you should have seen your face! So cute, Pham Hanni.” Her laughter died a bit as she pinched Hanni’s cheek. “You’re the only one who makes me laugh like this.”

Was that… another reference to ‘Bad’?

“Wait a second, let me go get the clown makeup.” Hanni rolled her eyes, fighting through the dizziness.

“I can’t help it. You’re fun to tease.”

“Of course.”

“Did I upset you?”

Hanni barely side-eyed her.

“Hanni.” Minji put the guitar away and held her hand. “Sorry, I didn’t mean to.”

She closed her eyes and took in a deeper inhale, or else she would lose it and straight up scream. Minji had to stop. She had to stop being like that, grab her hand, and talk in that deep, low tone.

“I’m not,” Hanni forced herself to mutter.

“You are. I’m sorry, I’ll stop teasing you-“

“Don’t.” Hanni faced her, falling into the trap. “I’m n-not mad, Minji. You can tease me, it’s funny. And it makes you laugh.“

Minji swallowed and nodded. “Okay. But tell me if I happen to say or do something that upsets you, okay? I don’t… wanna hurt you.”

Everything spun around. The sun was setting fast, the room darker than a mere ten minutes ago. Hanni stood up to switch up the light, a poor excuse to leave.

She didn’t know what was happening. And that scared her.

“B-But yeah, I was at the gym and I guess I went a little too hard on the boxing bag.” Minji’s chuckle trembled.

“Do you even know what gloves are?” Hanni sighed, and before returning, she fetched her hand cream from her bag. “And I bet you didn’t even take care of that.”

“I mean, it’s just a scratch or two. It doesn’t even hurt.”

Hanni glared at her, scooping a bit before grabbing her hand and applying it over the bruises in silence. She was too busy trying to control the tremble of her hands.

“But honestly…” Minji spoke. Hanni glanced at her, and she stared at her own hands still in Hanni’s. “I actually almost got in a fight earlier today. I so wanted to punch that motherer.”

“What? Who? W-Why?”

“A guy from our class was messing with Haerin. I went to the toilet before my jam session with her, and when I came back, he was there. I almost lost it when I stepped inside and saw his hand on Haerin’s shoulder. She looked so scared.”

Minji looked away, her jaw clenching and her fingers clasping Hanni’s hand. She let her squeeze as much as she wanted.

“But what did he even want?”

“I told him to back off and he got defensive like, ‘Oh my god I’m not doing anything? I was just trying to talk with Haerin and yadayada.’ Bull. I asked her what happened when he finally left, and he was harassing her, telling her to leave because he and his buddies wanted to practice and all the other rooms were occupied. He’s a motherer who thinks is superior, when in fact he’s not that good of a bassist. Doesn’t even come close to Haerin’s level. I think I would have legit punched his face if Haerin didn’t hold me back.”

A lot of things crossed Hanni’s mind to answer. What a jerk, or he was jealous, or I’m glad you were there.

“You really care for Haerin.”

Then why that was what she ended up saying? And why did it hurt? Why was she already hurting from the answer that hadn’t come yet? Why was that even a worry on that occasion?

“I do.” Minji bit her lip. “I’m so glad I showed up in time. I don’t think she would have done anything to defend herself. She was completely paralyzed.”

Hanni gulped. “I’m glad you were there too.”

Minji cared for everyone. She was willing to get in a fight for the people she cared about.

Hanni was not special.

“We couldn’t practice much, she wasn’t in the right mindset. So we left and went back to our room, but soon after Dani showed up. That’s why I left. I guess Haerin wanted to be with her. Just her.”

Was… Minji jealous?

“Dani told me you were here alone and maybe could use some company too. So, here I am.” Minji smiled and met her eyes after what felt like an infinity since the last time. “Sorry, I dumped my problems on you again. But thank you, Hanni. As always, you made me feel better.”

“I-I didn’t even do anything this time.”

“You’re here. And you listened, and you care. So, how can my day be bad?”

Again?!

“You really liked that song.” Hanni forced another chuckle.

“I did. Can you recommend me more of their songs so I can listen to them later?”

“Just listen to their whole discography. It’s not that long, unfortunately. But I will tell you my favs.”

“Good.” Minji grabbed the guitar and placed it on her lap again. “Now, back to the guitar. I really wanna learn that song.”

Yes, that was the best. Focus on something else.

And it worked. Hanni did her best in teaching Minji, and she seemed to be having fun (and didn’t throw a single tantrum!).

(And not to mention how happy she looked when she managed to play another bit or so. Those high-pitched squeaks were the epitome of cuteness.)

The door clicked just when Hanni was helping her with the finger positions again. Both froze and looked ahead, locking eyes with Danielle.

“Oh, hello!” Danielle visibly bit back a much bigger smile. “Am I interrupting something?”

“No.” Hanni retreated, hands clasped on her lap. “Just teaching her a song.”

“Cute!” Danielle dropped her bag and looked back, the door still open. “Come in, don’t just stand there.”

Haerin peeked inside before stepping in and closing the door. “Hi.”

“Haerinie.” Minji smiled. “Feeling better?”

Haerin nodded, standing by the door awkwardly and looking around.

“We’re going downstairs for dinner. Join us?” Danielle asked, putting on a jacket.

“Yes, I’m starving.” Minji gave the guitar back and stood up, arms up in a long stretch.

“You could have said so.” Hanni placed the guitar back. “I have cake in the fridge.”

“Cake?!” Minji widened her eyes at her. “And you didn’t tell me?”

“Like I knew you wanted to eat some cake!”

“You know I love cake!”

“Do I?”

“Oh, come on Hanni, I got you cream bread. And you got me cream bread. Isn’t it obvious?”

Hanni’s cheeks went hot in a second. She felt observed. And she indeed was. Danielle and Haerin watched as if Hanni and Minji were the characters of a comedy.

“Well, just take some with you and eat it tomorrow or something.” Hanni moved to the mini-fridge. “It’s carrot cake.”

“And it’s delicious,” Danielle added.

When Hanni grabbed the box and faced Minji again, she stopped. “What’s with the face?”

“I… don’t like carrot cake.”

The only reason why the next few seconds weren’t a full on silence were Haerin’s muffled giggles.

“I made it, though,” Hanni said.

“You?”

“Yeah. In the baking club.”

“What? Since when are you in the baking club?”

“Last week.”

“Haerin, did you bring the popcorn?” Danielle’s whisper was still perfectly audible.

Minji cleared . “I’ll take it since you made it. Now let’s go for dinner.” And she stormed outside.

Another giggle fit from Haerin.

“You heard her. Cut her a big slice, yes?” Danielle snickered.

Hanni rolled her eyes. She wanted to smack her so bad.

“By the way, you going to the concert tomorrow, right?” Danielle asked.

“Yeah.” Hanni placed a big slice on a smaller box.

“Nice! Can’t wait! Now let’s go before Minji gets even hangrier.”

Hanni had no idea what just happened in the last couple of hours.

Felt like it didn’t happen. Like it was all a product of her very creative imagination. But for now, she would do her best to put all the frustration, feelings, and whatnot aside and enjoy dinner.

Maybe later she would try and write a bit. Maybe she could fuel that into some lyrics.

---

A/N - Oh man THE FLUFF

I LOVE BAD BY WAVE TO EARTH SO MUCH!!! And yeah I'm a huge Life is Strange fan, and I listen to the ost all the time, so I guess I had to include it ahahah, I actually really recomment that album from Daughter, doesn't matter if you even know the game, the songs are....... *chefs kiss*

Fun fact!!! That part, Minji saying she got into a fight and pausing just to say it was with the boxing bag, was a real interaction I had with a friend LMAOOOO 

Hope you enjoyed the chapter!!! Thank you for reading so far ♥

Twitter - @itzloonatic
CuriousCat - curiouscat.me/itzloonatic