Chapter 2 – It’s Starting

PROJECT 9
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chaewon had his hand on the doorknob contemplating whether he should walk in or not. It has been 5 years since he last met all of them. Jungshik watched as the younger man didn’t move at all.

 

“Scared, Chaewon?”

 

He didn’t answer his question, but he knew what had happened. It was still fresh in his mind when the government shut down Project 9 five years ago. He was there when the team were found guilty.

 

 

FLASHBACK

 

Jungshik gritted his teeth when the military attorney, Major Lee Jinhyuk flashed all the evidence right back at him.

 

“With all due respect Commander Jo, they betrayed us. They pulled a stunt ignoring their mission objectives. They put our team in distress. If anyone should be blame, it is their fault.”

 

Lee Jinhyuk passed all the evidence to the court jury. Chaewon watched as the juries gasped and some looked at them in total fear. He frowned. Next to him was Minju and he knew how frustrating this is.

 

“Chaewon, we’re going to jail, right?”

 

“I don’t know. But I do hope not. not after everything we have done.”

 

His tone betrayed him and he for sure knew that Minju heard it. Chaewon glanced towards his right, and he saw s stood in a line next to her waiting for the verdict. They looked as calm as him, but Chaewon knew better; they were so scared or even more than him. One of the martial court generals stood up successfully stopping everyone from talking.

 

“After hearing everything from both parties, we have decided on our verdict for this session.”

 

General Hwang Chiyeol looked at Chaewon and the rest of her members one by one. He felt guilty for doing this, but it was an order coming from the top and he had no power over it. It was silent until he spoke again.

 

“Major Kim Chaewon. It was an honor to have known you and your team members. You have exceeded what a mere soldier can do. You have done more than you should, and this country will forever be grateful for it. But you had disobeyed a direct order and put squadron 99 in danger. That one is what we can never tolerate. You breached our code of honor when you dispatched your team members totally ignoring the consequences of your action. Let this be a reminder for others in the future. Major Kim, you are sentence to a 10-years of prison and dishonorably discharge from duty along with 1st Lieutenant Kim Minju, Lieutenant Kwon Eunbi, Sergeant Major Miyawaki Sakura, Sergeant Jo Yuri, Sergeant Jang Wonyoung, Corporal Lee Chaeyeon, Private Ahn Yujin and Private Choi Yena.”

 

A loud thud came from the wooden hammer that Hwang Chiyeol used was all it took for this verdict to sink in. Jungshik couldn’t believe it. After all they did for the country, this is how they got repaid? He was about to scream when Chaewon yelled his words out.

 

“YOU CAN’T DO THIS!”

 

Chaewon was about to march forward when he got held back by some military officials. It wasn’t just him, but all s were held back against their will.

 

“LET US GO!”

 

“COWARD!”

 

“SILENCE!”

 

Hwang Chiyeol’s voice echoed inside the court room stopping all the nine members from resisting. Hwang Chiyeol sighed.

 

“Treat this as a way to cool down for all of you. Learn something from this and when I see you all again after 10 years, I do hope you change into a better person. All of you will undergo your punishment in different facilities.”

 

END OF FLASHBACK

 

 

“You have no idea, Jungshik.”

 

“I never wanted this to happen, Chaewon. I fought for your freedom, but it was futile.”

 

“Tell that to others.”

 

Chaewon turned the doorknob and walked inside the room leaving Jungshik behind. Yunjin wanted to get in just to make sure, but Jungshik stopped her just in time.

 

“Let them talk it out.”

 

They watched as Chaewon closed the door behind him. Jungshik hope and prayed that she can convinced the others for the sake of the country once again.

 

 

 

 

 

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

 

 

 

 

 

Chaewon got inside and saw the other eight got tied up on a chair with their eyes blindfolded. He had his eyes on each and every one of them with a small smile forming on his face. He missed them. He walked towards a steel table in front of them and placed down the files that Yunjin gave to him. He leaned back on the steel table.

 

“How long has it been, guys?”

 

“Chaewon?”

 

“Oppa?”

 

“Hyung?”

 

Chaewon’s smile grew wider. He missed talking to them. He glanced towards the only mirror and nodded his head hinting to Jungshik and Yunjin behind the mirror to let them go. Yunjin pushed the red button and the chain holding them fell on the ground releasing the others eight. They took off the blindfolds one by one and were greeted by Chaewon stood not too far from them.

 

“Chaewon!”

 

Minju basically jumped at Chaewon almost making the guy out of balance, but he held the girl in his arms.

 

“Hi, Minju.”

 

“I missed you, Chaewon!”

 

“Me too.”

 

Chaewon wrapped his arms around the girl and inhaled her scent. A scent that he held on in her mind each day in the prison. They finally let go of each other and saw Sakura was already inspecting Eunbi’s well-being while Yena, Yujin and Yuri bickering about the bad food in prison. Chaeyeon was teasing Wonyoung nonstop, and it made Wonyoung roll her eyes. He smiled at the sight. Minju finally let go of him when Chaeyeon cleared his throat earning attention from others.

 

“Sorry.”

 

Minju shyly apologized and entangled her arms from Chaewon’s body but still stood near to him. Chaewon gently patted her head.

 

“So, what’s up, Chaewon?”

 

It was Yena who greeted him first.

 

“Don’t you guys miss me too?”

 

He didn’t have to ask to know it. Just by looking at the rest, he can feel the longing they all had for each other. He then glanced at Eunbi who was already sitting down on her chair while holding onto Sakura’s left arm.

 

“Oh, and noona, thanks for punching Jungshik for me.”

 

“I only broke his nose. I should have damaged his face too.”

 

It came out cold and Jungshik can still feel it from outside. The ice-cold soldier. Chaewon couldn’t help but grinned at her response.

 

“Can everyone take a seat? I have a few things that I need to say first.”

 

Everyone complied and sat down in the nearest chair. Chaewon waited until everyone was already sitting including Minju who dragged her chair and sat beside Chaewon. Chaewon took out nine papers and flashed it to them.

 

“In my hand, I have a presidential pardon letter for each and every one of us, courtesy of Jo Jungshik.”

 

Chaewon glanced again at the thick mirror before going back at them. He knew Jungshik was scared but he couldn’t resist telling them where he was.

 

“I also had nine recommendation letters of rank restoration.”

 

Yuri sneered unhappy. Chaewon noticed it.

 

“Yuri?”

 

“Don’t tell me that the ing government who ed us 5 years ago is in need of our help.”

 

“Yes, and that’s why we are gathered here.”

 

Chaewon handed each person a brown file. They all flipped it open and read what was inside.

 

“Kang Changmo. Military expert, drug lord, mob boss and now a weapon dealer. KIA tracked him in Singapore holding a meeting with Malaysian finest weapon inventor, Aaron. KIA intel came out with an information saying that he’s building a weapon. What it was? KIA

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter