Chapter 6 – Doubt

PROJECT 9
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Sakura was having a hard time breathing. He felt his throat starting to hurt. He stopped walking and sat down under a shady tree. He tried to relax himself, hoping the pain would go away but despite being just 10, he for sure knew he had only one way. He slipped his hand inside his worn-out jacket and pulled out an orange bottle the size of his three fingers together. He took off the cap and fished out a white pill. He was sure that this pill cost a lot, but he needed it for his condition. Despite being homeless and sleeping on the streets, Sakura had volunteers buying him these pills each time he ran out of it. The least they could do to help a street boy like him to survive.

 

“Here goes.”

 

He mentally cheered up himself and gulped down the white pill. If only he had a bottle of water with him, but he hadn’t. Sakura couldn’t swallow it and spat it out.

 

“It’s bitter…”

 

“Here.”

 

Sakura looked up and saw a girl who had the prettiest smile, smiling at him while handing over a bottle of water for him. The girl tried again.

 

“Mommy said that we should always eat that with plain water. So, here. You can have mine.”

 

Sakura was reluctant to accept the girl’s gift but looking at how her eyes looked so hopeful, Sakura hadn’t had the heart to disappoint her. He took it.

 

“T-Thank you.”

 

“You’re welcome.”

 

The girl sat down next to Sakura and watched as Sakura tried to eat that white pill again. This time he had water to help him. Finally, he can feel it traveling down his throat and probably occupying one side of his stomach. He smiled.

 

“I did it!”

 

The other girl was smiling a lot because of Sakura’s wide smile. Sakura drank some more. There were some leftovers, but the nice girl just shook her head.

 

“No, it’s okay. You can finish it. I have mine.”

 

The girl showed Sakura her water bottle and Sakura nodded understand. He finished his bottle and placed it next to him. He saw the girl looking back at him.

 

“I always notice you walking around.”

 

“Y-You did?”

 

“Yes. Where do you live anyway?”

 

Sakura looked down having no comeback for her question. Should he tell this girl? Maybe he should.

 

“I’m homeless. I sleep anywhere I can manage on.”

 

Sakura slowly looked up and saw the girl smiling at him as if the knowledge that he’s a useless person didn’t bother her. He had seen it before how parents scolded their child just for standing near people like him. They said he carries a disease and ate dirty food. He didn’t blame them though. He is dirty and he smells too. Sakura played with the bottle cap in his hands.

 

“Y-You’re not afraid?”

 

“Should I? Daddy said that no matter who we are, we should try and befriends everyone.”

 

“Your dad said that?”

 

“Uh huh. Mommy too. Plus, Mommy said that if we nice to others, people will be nice to us too.”

 

Sakura didn’t know how to react to that. He didn’t have many friends. Well, other than the other homeless kids who still had their parents with them, Sakura lives alone. His parents died when he was 6 years old. the girl nudged Sakura on the shoulder.

 

“Hey, how about we be friends?”

 

“W-We? Are you sure?”

 

“Why not? Now we can play around together.”

 

Friends. Sakura liked it. Finally, he had friends who wanted to be his friends in the first place. The girl held his hands and he felt warm inside. His lips slowly tugged into a wide smile.

 

“Hey! You smile!”

 

Sakura blushed so much.

 

“What’s your name?”

 

“Miyawaki Sakura.”

 

Sakura watched as the girl nodded her head.

 

“Ah, then hi, Sakura. I’m Kwon Eunbi.”

 

In the back of his head, Sakura knew this friendship would last long. Maybe until his last breath.

 

 

 

 

 

 

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chaewon had his eyes closed and his backside leaning on a wall. Minju sat down on a single couch with her eyes on her smartphone. She frowned. But before she could say anything, Chaewon seemed to know that she was frowning despite his eyes being closed.

 

“Is there something wrong, Minju?”

 

Minju stood up and walked towards Chaewon. She let Chaewon see what was on her smartphone’s screen. Chaewon opened his eyes but remained calm.

 

“No one said this journey is going to be easy, Minju.”

 

“Yeah, but I thought both Malaysia and Thai’s government had terrorist in control?”

 

“They did but something can’t be quarantine if their own people secretly joining them. But I wouldn’t say them as terrorists. More like extremists.”

 

“Religion extremists. How easy to kill people just to justify their selfish desire.”

 

Chaewon sighed.

 

“We hide behind religion just way too many times, Minju. There are people out there who willingly sacrifice themselves just to save their families and friends. I wish those extremists realized that.”

 

“Rest in peace world peace.”

 

Chaewon just smiled. He looked at his watch.

 

“They’re late.”

 

Minju shook her head and patted Chaewon’s top head in a playful manner.

 

“Loosen up, Chaewon. They need the rest.”

 

Chaewon pouted. Minju can’t help but fell in a laughing fit. Chaewon can be adorable at times. This was one of those rare moments. She c

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter