Chapter 7

Playing Hard To Get

This story is not mine and I already ask permission to post this! Please see her website @ http://www.wattpad.com/user/IAmTheGoddamnWalrus - author is Janelle or known as IAmTheGoddamnWalrus

-----------------------------------------

Chapter 7

 

~Dara’s POV~

 

I waited by his locker impatiently. I tapped my foot and drummed my fingers against my leg to the same beat. He finally arrived, and smiled at me.

 

"Hey, Dar-"

 

My palm met his cheek before he could finish. I didn't hit him hard, don't worry. Just hard enough to make him realize that he was pissing me off.

 

He rubbed his cheek slowly. A bunch of people had crowded around us.

 

"Thanks, Jiyong," I said sourly. "Thanks you so much."

 

He looked at me funny. "What the hell are you talking about?"

 

I clenched my fists. "You put that picture of me on Oprah and now I'm hated by every girl on the planet!" I shouted. He frowned.

 

"What? Nobody hates you," he insisted. I snorted.

 

"Yeah? Then why was there a piece of paper taped to my front door this morning saying that they were going to kill me because I stole 'their Jiyong'." I said cruelly.

 

He frowned and went to hug me, but I flinched away. His frowned deepened.

 

"Look, I-I didn't mean to make everyone hate you. I-I honestly am truly sorry. I-"

 

He stopped there. He looked like he was going to cry. I immediately felt guilty. I pulled him by the forearm outside to this little garden thing. I locked the door so no one could come in.  I was sure that nobody could hear us.

 

I turned to Jiyong, who had tears seeping out the corner of his eyes.

 

"Jiyong," I said quietly. "I'm so sorry. I didn't mean-"

 

His face went all distorted. He looked all confused, and then his face relaxed.

 

"Sweety, it wasn't you," he said. "No, I would never be mad at you."

 

The way he said sweety to me was like he owned me or something.

 

"Then...?" I asked, totally confused. He wiped the tears from his eyes and sniffled.

 

"My dad... he, uh, came back last night," he stammered. "It wasn't pretty."

 

He took a seat on the concrete bench. I took a seat beside him.

 

"And...?" I asked cautiously.

 

He took a deep breath. "He's in the hospital in critical condition. My mom threw a bowl at him."

 

I looked at him, shocked. In a way I was proud of his mom. I mean, that's what I'd do if my husband left me with three kids and then came back. But then again, I was also worried. What if she'd been taken in for something?

 

"Is she like, going to jail or something?" I asked. A smile played at his lips.

 

"No. She's fine," he responded.

 

We sat in silence again. I suddenly spoke.

 

"How are Daesung and Minzy holding up?" I asked. If I were them, I'd be devastated and would probably jump out a window.

 

"Well, Minzy has locked herself in her room. She says she's surviving on her chocolate stash and three cases of orange juice she brought in there. Don't ask me how she uses the bathroom, cause I don't know," he took a deep breath.

 

"Daesung is just trying to ignore it. He's pretending like it's never happened."

 

I nodded. Those poor kids but that still didn't subside my anger. But I felt guilty for not feeling bad. Urgh, stupid Jiyong ruined everything.

 

 ~Jiyong’s POV~

 

She was really pissed. Like, really pissed.

 

For the rest of the day she wouldn't talk to me. She wouldn't even look at me. I tried sitting with her at lunch, but she never showed. I just walked out and hung in the bathroom. I tried acting all happy, but my dad was on my mind. I couldn't believe he came, though. And he was really upset I dyed my hair. He punched me in the nose. Thankfully, it only started bleeding. My mom got really mad at him.

 

"Why do you even show your face here?" she'd shouted. He glared at her.

 

"I thought you'd like me back," he'd replied coolly. My mom turned bright red.

 

"Why would I want you back? You left me!" she'd shouted.

 

"I thought you loved me!" he'd shouted back. She looked around, and then grabbed the big, blue ceramic bowl on the counter. She flung it at him and it broke across his head. He fell to the ground, his face marred with blood. I'd driven him to the hospital, that lucky bastard.

 

At the end of the day, my mom was pacing back and forth. She looked at me.

 

"Is your father alright?" she asked quickly. I shrugged.

 

"He was fine when I dropped him off," I said. I took my homework out and started to do it. My mom sat at the kitchen table across from me. I felt her eyes on me and I looked up.

 

"Yes?" I asked impatiently. She opened to speak, but closed it just as quickly. I sighed and started reading from my textbook. I felt somebody tap my arm. I looked up at her expectantly.

 

"How was school?" she asked. From the look in her eyes, I could tell she really didn't care.

 

"Fine," I replied flatly. She nodded.

 

"How was Dara?" she asked again. I shrugged.

 

"Fine, why?" I asked curiously. She shrugged herself.

 

"I was just wondering... are you two being..." She stopped midsentence. I looked at her with raised eyebrows. She sighed again. "Are you two being... safe?"

 

I locked my eyes with her. I could feel my cheeks begin to burn.

 

"Uh, mom. In case you didn't watch my Oprah show. Me. And. Dara. Are. Not. Dating," I mumbled. She nodded, but I could tell she was embarrassed too.

 

"Oh," she mumbled back.

 

We sat in awkward silence. The ticking of the clock was all I could hear. I wanted her to say something off topic, but it stayed silent. Daesung suddenly burst through the front door, followed by Minzy. She looked happier today. Daesung looked happier, too. I wondered what happened at school.

 

"Guess what," Minzy exclaimed. She sat next to me.

 

"Omigosh, what?" I teased. She stuck her tongue out at me playfully.

 

"Well, guess what Taemin did to me today," she said smiling. I smiled too, pretty sure what she was going to say.

 

"He kissed me! Right here!" She pointed to her cheek. I noticed a tiny shiny spot. I began bursting out laughing with joy.

 

"Oh sweety, I don't think you should get into a relationship right now. They just end up breaking your heart," my mother said sympathetically.

 

I made a face at her. Just because her love life was going so horrible didn't mean that poor Minzy couldn't be in a relationship. I put my arm around Minzy’s shoulder. "Well you know what? Congratulations. I'm proud of you," I said happily.

 

I watched a smile crept across her face, and she hugged me.

 

~Dara’s POV~

 

I locked myself in my room for the rest of the week. I didn't get out of bed. When my dad asked me what was wrong, I pretended I was sick.

 

"SAN-DA-RA PARK, you better get out here right now!" he called. His voice was irritated. I didn't blame him. Mom still wasn't back from wherever she went. I was beginning to think she ran off with Jiyong's dad. Then I felt guilty.

 

"I'm sick!" I muttered. I coughed. "See?"

 

I heard him sigh. "Sweetie, at least let me see your face."

 

I considered that. But then I thought he'd send me back to school. I didn't want to go. Some girls had put post-it notes in the girls' bathrooms saying,

 

"Dara must die! She took Jiyong!" I couldn't handle that, I just couldn't.

 

"Are you going to send me to school?" I asked.

 

"Maybe," he responded. That was enough to make me decide.

 

"Then I'm not opening the door!" I pulled the covers over my head. I heard another sigh.

 

"Fine! No school!"

 

I smiled with sinister. I crept out of bed, stumbling as I landed. I unlocked the door and jumped back into bed. My dad walked in and looked around before looking at me. He sighed and sat on the edge of my bed. He rubbed my leg.

 

"What's wrong?" he asked. I narrowed my eyes, not particularly at him.

 

"I don't want to talk about it," I hissed. He nodded.

 

"Alright, alright. I just wanted to see that lovely face of yours," he said kissing me on the forehead. He began to walk out the door, but stopped mid stride. "Oh, by the way. Jiyong called yesterday."

 

He shut the door again and I stared at my wall. Jiyong was alright. Jiyong was safe. Then again, he was the cause of all this. I wasn't going to answer him. My dad and my brother left for work and school, leaving me alone again. I climbed down the steps and opened the freezer. I fished out a tub of cookie dough ice cream and plopped in front of the TV. I watched reruns of Jackass and Viva La Bam. The phone rang, and I reached across the couch to answer it.

 

"Hello?" I said while shoving cookie dough in my mouth.

 

"Dara? Is it you?" a frantic voice responded. I scowled. It was Jiyong. I was not going to respond.

 

"Look, Dara, I know you're mad at me, but please, listen! I'm sorry. I really am," he pleaded. "Please, come back to school! I miss you! I'll undo this whole mess! I promise!"

 

I knew that was a promise he couldn't keep. Nothing about this mess could be undone. I hung up on him, shoving another spoonful of ice cream in my mouth. Screw his apology. I don't care that I'm being a . Maybe I'm PMSing. I laughed at that.

 

"Now let's talk about Kwon Jiyong's new 'do!" a reporter said. I hadn't noticed Jackass had finished. I frowned. Jiyong's head popped up on the screen from the Oprah thing. I shuddered, and continued to eat my ice cream. I was such a fatty. But it was so good...

 

Another ring came from the phone. I answered, expecting to hear Jiyong.

 

"Dara, you have to listen to me! If you don't get to school in the next half hour, I am coming to your house and kidnapping you!" Jiyong's frantic voice cracked in the receiver.

 

"I don't think kidnapping me would be such a good idea," I hissed. I heard a whoosh, like someone just sighed with relief.

 

"Oh finally! You're talking! Please come to school!" he pleaded. I shook my head, though nobody could see it.

 

"No."

 

"Fine. Then I'm coming to get you!"

 

"Jiyong-"

 

The line went dead. I threw the phone against the couch pillow. Stupid Jiyong. Urgh. I cussed his name as I walked to the garbage can. I plopped the empty ice cream carton in the black bag and slumped back in the couch. I groaned, and tilted my head back. Jiyong was ruining my life, a little bit at a time. First, he stalked me. Then, he somehow made his mom and my mom friends. Next, he makes every girl in the world hate my guts.

 

There was a knock at the door, then keys twisting in the lock. I gripped the edge of the couch, afraid of who might open the door. I was surprised to see my mom standing in the doorway, her hands full of trash. She'd gotten a new dolphin pot, but she had a million other things in the pot and around her arms. I saw one thing that was probably the oddest thing ever-a can opener in the shape of a cat and a dog intertwined. I didn't have time to understand it.

 

"Dara, why on earth are you not at school?" my mother barked. I narrowed my eyes at her.

 

"Where on earth were you?" I shouted back. She narrowed her eyes as well, and I sensed a war coming on.

 

"That's none of your business," she muttered. She placed her knick knacks on the table and made herself a cup of tea. She sipped it formally.

 

"Actually," I said getting up. "I think it is my business. We were worried sick about you!"

 

She shrugged like nothing had happened. Fury washed over me. She didn't even care!

 

"Where. Were. You?" I asked through gritted teeth. She glanced up at me and set her tea down.

 

"I was shopping for my dolphin pot," she said calmly. She went back to her beverage.

 

I stared at her, shocked. She'd spent a week away from home just so she could find her stupid pot?

 

"You're kidding, right?" I asked. "You spend a week away from home to buy your stupid pot?"

 

My mom glared at me, then put her pot on the stove. She turned the stove on and put diced tomatoes in it. She then put a bunch of other stuff, followed by pasta noodles. I stared at her in awe.

 

"And now you're just making pasta?" I asked rudely. She nodded and continued to cook.

 

I growled and went to my room, locking the door again. I crawled into bed and pulled the covers over my head. I had two problems. One, the entire female race hated me. Two, my mom was NUTS. I mean, who goes ape nuts over a pot then leaves for a week to go buy a new one? Like, seriously! I growled again.

 

~Jiyong’s POV~

 

I knocked on her door thirty times and counting. Somebody finally answered it, but I was surprised to see Eun Joo do it.

 

"Oh, hello Jiyong!" she said happily. "Dara's upstairs. Come in. You can get her."

 

She let me in and I headed up the stairs cautiously. I got to her room and turned the knob. It stopped midturn. She locked it. I banged on the door.

 

"Go away!" a muffled shout came from the other end.

 

"Dara, it's me!" I shouted back. Silence from the other side.

 

I tried the knob over and over again. I banged on the door just as many times. I looked at my feet, and then got an idea. There were two bobby pins at my feet. I picked them up and stuck them in lock. I jiggled them around a little. I'd gotten a lock picking book when I was little. It was supposed to be a joke from my mom, but as a kid I took it seriously. I practiced on Minzy's door and diary and stuff. Now I was a pro. The lock finally clicked and I walked inside. Dara's room was nothing like I expected. It was white with black and white stripes, like the Sephora makeup. There were pictures of vampire mouths and voodoo dolls scattered on the walls. The desk was white, too, with a big black leather book on it. I mean the room was so like Dara, but I pictured it to be less... graphic. I looked around and finally saw a lump underneath the covers. I raised an eyebrow playfully. I picked up the corner of the blanket, and then ripped it from her. She looked at me with startled eyes.

 

"Hi," I chuckled. She pulled the covers back over her head.

 

"What are you doing here?" she groaned. I pulled the covers again.

 

"I'm here to kidnap you, remember?" I said. I slung her over my shoulder and walked down the stairs. Eun Joo didn't even think anything of it.

 

"Have her home by six!" she called as I exited the house. I threw my head back in laughter. She pounded her fists against my back, demanding me to put her down. I granted her wish-I put her down in my car. I put her seat belt on for her, and got in my own seat. I started my car and drove down the street. Dara fumbled with her seatbelt. I thought she was going to take it off, so I accelerated. She flew back to the seat from the force. She turned and glared at me.

 

"I hate you," she whispered.

 

"Really?" I asked again. She sighed.

 

"No," she mumbled. I smiled and continued to stare out the dash.

 

We drove in silence. I finally turned into the parking lot with a smile. Dara ducked and looked out the dash to read the sign.

 

"Dancing Dave's beauty parlor?" she read doubtfully.

 

I shook my head. "Not that. That," I pointed her head in the other direction.

 

"Chucky's One Dollar Ice Cream shop?" she asked doubtfully again. I beamed and nodded. She snorted.

 

"Gosh, this place sounds so safe." I made a face. "Of course it's safe! It's the best ice cream in the whole

world! Just wait."

 

 She rolled her eyes and crossed her arms. We walked into the ice cream parlor. I examined Dara. She had grey sweats on, rolled up at the hem to make them shorter. I guessed they were her father's from the way they fit on her. She had a white and green quarter length baseball shirt on. Her hair was up in a messy bun, a few loose strands hanging from her face. She looked really pretty, even though she wasn't all dressed up. She saw me staring and blushed.

 

"So what's good here?" she asked, trying to change the subject. I looked at the flavor board.

 

"Well, I used to always get the chocolate sundae with Sweetish Fish-"

 

"Gross," Dara scoffed under her breath. I ignored her.

 

"But I guess the banana split is good too."

 

She examined the board, and then looked at her stomach. She patted it, and then frowned.

 

"What's wrong?" I asked. She looked at me with a smirk.

 

"I already head ice cream," she explained mischievously. I shrugged with a smile.

 

"Yeah, well then you can get a milk shake."

 

She frowned. "Are you trying to fatten me up?"

 

I laughed and stepped up to the cash. "Yeah, I'll have a Swedish Sundae and one chocolate shake," I told the colorfully dressed cashier. She smiled, and minutes later she came back with our treats.

 

We sat down at a booth. I dug into my ice cream quickly, while Dara pulled her straw in and out of the milk shake. She looked as if she wanted to ask me something, but was scared to.

 

"What do you want to ask me?" I asked inhaling another spoonful of ice cream.

 

She raised an eyebrow. "How did you know I wanted to ask you something?"

 

I shrugged, smiling. "You just look like it."

 

She grimaced, and then exhaled deeply.

 

"Alright," she said. "I've been thinking."

 

"About...?" I said, trying to make her continue. She looked hesitant.

 

"Well, relationships...."

 

I stared at her. Her eyes never met mine. She looked uncomfortable, like she was trying to figure something out herself-something she didn't like.

 

"What about them?" I asked slowly. She met my gaze finally. Her eyes were distant, picturing a couple, any couple. I wondered which one.

 

"Well, when people get married, they're not supposed to share any secrets, right?" she questioned. I nodded.

 

She started again. "And when people are dating, they shouldn't keep secrets either, right?" I nodded again.

 

"What are you getting at?" She shrugged, and ignored my question. "So, when one person in that relationship loves an object, should the other one love it too?"

 

You could take this question in so many different ways. The object could be anything; kids, cars, jewelry, guitars. Anything. But the first thing that popped into my head was me and dad's relationship. I loved rapping, so did that mean he should too? My mom loved that I was a rapper. But my dad didn't. Did that mean that our relationship was never meant to be? I'm sorry, but this is just how my brain works.

 

I shifted in my seat. "Well, they should, yes," I replied honestly. Sudden anger surged through me, and I tried my best to ignore it.

 

She nodded slowly to herself. Her eyes looked pained.

 

"Why'd you ask?" I wondered. She looked at me, and sighed.

 

"Well, I told you about my mom's pot, right?" I nodded. "Well, I'm afraid my mom is going to leave my family. Because we don't like her pot. And I mean, I knew I shouldn't assume. And I know this is probably so hard for you to hear."

I hadn't realized that there was a shattered glass in my hands. Ice cream and blood pooled the table. I quickly reached for napkins and began to clean the mess.

 

"Oh my gosh, Jiyong! You broke the damn glass!" Dara said as we exited the building.

 

I shrugged, even though my hand hurt like hell. I couldn't believe that I'd broken the glass. This worried me. I was clearly not handling my father's leaving very well.

 

"Let me drive," Dara insisted as we reached my car. She was already in the driver's seat, and my hand was throbbing. I got into the passenger seat. We drove down the road, me gripping my hand. It hadn't stopped bleeding. Soon, I saw the big florescent red 'H' of a hospital. Dara pulled in and paid for parking. She escorted me into the waiting room where two other people sat. We checked in to the receptionist and waited for an available doctor. The music in the background was some sort of Beethoven type song. It made my hand twitch.

 

"Honey, can you please get me a magazine," a woman asked groggily. Her husband-I'm assuming- wandered to the little coffee table full of magazines and picked one up. He handed it to her and she smiled. He smiled back, and from the way they looked at each other was breathtaking. They didn't have to say anything, but you could see in their eyes how much they loved and cared for each other. I stared at Dara, who was busy reading the tiny screen of her cell phone. Someday, we would be looking at each other like that.

 

~Dara’s POV~

 

"Jiyong," a doctor's voice called.  Jiyong jumpped up from the seat and we followed the doctor. We walked into a white room with a green bed. The doctor gazed over Jiyong, and then caught a glimpse of his hand. He nodded slowly.

 

"Alright, Mister Kwon, I can stitch you right up," the doctor said.

 

"Thanks, doc," Jiyong replied, returning the smile.

 

The doctor took out a big roll of something that looked like plastic yarn and a really big needle. My stomach twisted at the sight. The doctor started sewing Jiyong's hand back together, and my stomach turned again. I looked out the window, trying to distract myself. I heard Jiyong chuckle.

 

"What's wrong?" he asked playfully.

 

"I don't like looking at people get sewn back together," I replied, trying to breathe through my mouth.

 

Jiyong chuckled again. We sat in silence. Suddenly, I heard a snip and turned around. Jiyong was all sewn up back together. He hopped off the bed and thanked the doctor. We walked out of the hospital bumping each other's shoulders. It was times like these, when we were having so much fun together, that I wondered if I should just cave into Jiyong's feelings for me. We laughed as we nudged and shoved each other into different objects. We raced to Jiyong's car, me driving, and I won. I beamed at him.

 

"No fair. I'm injured," he complained. I snorted.

 

"Jiyong, you hurt your hand. I don't think that affects your running."

 

His eyes twinkled. "How would you know?"

 

I smiled. "Because I'm just that smart, alright?"

 

We started to drive. Jiyong drummed his fingers against the arm rest.

 

"If you're so smart, then what's my middle name?" he asked suddenly.

 

"What kind of question is that?" I asked stubbornly.

 

"A question. Now answer it," he insisted.

 

I thought for a moment. I listed all the possible names that screamed, "Jiyong".

 

I smiled suddenly.

 

"GD," I said.

 

"What?" he asked really confused. I snorted again.

 

"I think your name is, Jiyong G-Dragon Kwon," I replied. He looked shocked.

 

"How the hell did you know?"

 

I laughed out loud, and almost veered off the road. He grabbed the wheel momentarily. Yes, it was times like these where I questioned my feelings for Jiyong.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

-----------------------------

I know they don’t have middle name. But let’s say they have! LOL