Chapter 10

Playing Hard To Get

This story is not mine and I already ask permission to post this! Please see her website @ http://www.wattpad.com/user/IAmTheGoddamnWalrus - author is Janelle or known as IAmTheGoddamnWalrus

-----------------------------

Chapter 10

 

 

 ~Dara’s POV~

 

I scurried to drama after the first bell rang. I was late. Even Jiyong didn't wait for me. I would hit him later.

 

I reached the drama room and threw myself through the door. The whole cast looked at me.

 

"You're late," Mrs. Lee warned.

 

"I know," I mumbled. "Sorry."

 

I put my bag down, glaring at Jiyong as I passed him. I got into my place.

 

"Alright," Mr. Kim said. "Let's rehearse the scene where Agatha and Peter are-"

 

"Mr. Kim! I've got a proposition," Chaerin's voice chimed. Mr. Kim sighed.

 

"Yes, Chaerin?"

 

She cleared . "How about, Peter and Agatha are in love, but then Peter falls in love with Lucy, my character, for the most part of the play.”

 

Mr. Kim sighed. "No, Chaerin."

 

She frowned, and glared at me. I smiled at her proudly, and she just pouted.

 

"Alright, so Jiyong lace your arm through Dara"s- Yes like that! Alright, page one scene one!"

 

Mrs. Lee said clapping her hands.

 

I gazed at my script, and then looked at Jiyong.

 

"Isn't the sky just lovely this morning, Peter?" Agatha asked sweetly. Jiyong touched the bottom of my chin and propped it up to face him.

 

"Yes, but not as beautiful as your eyes," he said sweetly. I smiled, not sure if I was being Agatha or myself.

 

"What do you mean?" Agatha asked quietly. I glanced down at my script again, praying there wasn't a kiss coming up.

 

"I mean, your eyes are the most beautiful thing I've ever seen. They put the stars to shame."

 

Peter leaned in to kiss Agatha, and then Chaerin and Sulli as the sisters came in.

 

"Agatha, dear!" Chaerin's voice called. "We have some horrid news!"

 

I let go of Jiyong/Peter and turned to Chaerin and Sulli.

 

"What seems to be the trouble?" Agatha asked.

 

"Our loving parents, they have fallen to the death!" Sulli said, wailing as the sister. As Agatha, I ran with them off stage.

 

"And, SCENE!" Mr. Kim called. We all stopped and looked at him. He clapped his hands.

 

"Bravo! Bravo!" he said. "That was wonderful."

 

"Scene two!" Mrs. Lee called. We got into our positions.

 

I was walking to my spot, when Chaerin stuck her foot out in front of me. I tripped, falling to the stage floor.

 

"Oops," Chaerin snickered. "Sorry."

 

"," Chaerin muttered. Chaerin shot her the finger, and Chaerin rolled up her sleeves. Jiyong stopped it before anything could get out of hand.

 

The rest of drama went on quickly. Jiyong helped my gather my things at the end of it. We walked home quickly and silently.

 

I thought about my mixed feelings for Jiyong. He was nice, but he made me angry easily, too. We got along so well, but there were times where I wanted to strangle him. I sighed.

 

"What's wrong?" he asked.

 

"Nothing."

 

"Tell me."

 

"No."

 

I saw him smile to himself, as he often did. We reached my house. I was walking up my driveway, when Jiyong's arm caught me. He spun me around and gave me a hug. He rested his chin on top of my head.

 

"Jiyong," I muttered. He pulled me closer.

 

"What the hell is wrong with you?" I said, breathless. He let go of me and smiled.

 

"Just wanted to show my love," he said. "Bye."

 

"You're so random," I muttered, walking inside. I heard his booming laugh from the inside of my house.

 

The house smelled like roast beef and I smiled. My dad made the best roast beef ever, a recipe handed down from generations. I hung my bag up and walked into the kitchen. My dad was just putting the food on the table.

 

"Hello, Dara," he said smiling.

 

I smiled back and took my seat next to Taemin. My mom and dad sat down and we said prayer. Then, we dug in.

 

"How was drama?" my mom asked.

 

"Fine," I replied. My mom took a sip of her wine.

 

"I read the story line of that play you're doing," she said. "Peter and Agatha are very attached. They kiss in every scene."

 

I nodded, feeling myself blush.

 

"I didn't really read the script over. I don't know how many times Jiyong and I-"

 

"Jiyong is playing Peter?" my dad chimed in. I nodded. My dad smiled.

 

"Well, Tanya. We better get a wedding dress picked out," he teased. My mom smiled. Taemin snickered, and I went bright red.

 

"Jiyong is a nice boy. Good looking too," my mom pointed out. I slapped my napkin on my plate.

 

"May I please be excused?" I asked quickly. I didn't wait for a response. I took my dishes and rushed into the kitchen. I put the dishes on the counter and took three deep breaths. I made one final breath before heading up to my room.

 

~Jiyong’s POV~

 

I headed to our third drama rehearsal, Dara ranting beside me.

 

"I mean, what have I ever done to Chaerin? Nothing, nothing!" she scoffed.

 

I wasn't paying attention to her words, but every so often I would nod in agreement.

 

"I mean, she's just jealous that I got the lead instead of her, right?"

 

I nodded again, pushing the drama door open. She was still ranting as we walked in.

 

"Hello my stars," Mrs Lee said with a smile. We returned the greeting and walked to the middle of the stage. We began running lines.

 

"How about you practice that kiss," Sulli said, nudging Dara in the ribs. She nudged back hard.

 

I would love to practice the kiss, but Mr Kim and Mrs. Lee interfered.

 

"Nope. We're saving the kissing for the opening production," Mrs. Lee explained. "Making the magic is more real."

 

Dara face palmed beside me and I wrapped my arm should her shoulders, pulling her closer to me. She flicked me and pulled away.

 

We were on a really epic, sentimental part of the scene, when a sandbag dropped not two inches away from Dara.

 

"What the hell?" Dara screamed, stepping back as it fell. We looked up and saw Chaerin scrambling away.

 

"Are you trying to kill me?" Dara shouted when Chaerin was back down from the rafters.

 

"Yes," Chaerin hissed. Dara glared, and I feared she would jump at Chaerin's throat. I held her back.

 

"Let. Me. KILL HER!" she shouted. Mrs. Lee and Mr. Kim ran over, restraining Chaerin.

 

"Girls! Stop this!" Mr. Kim ordered. They calmed down, but still glared at each other. Mrs Lee looked back and forth between them.

 

"Chaerin, you can't be apart of the production anymore. Trying to kill our lead role must be a criminal offense or something," she said.

 

Chaerin looked like she was going to cry, then she slapped Dara across the face. Dara's right cheek turned bright red. Tears formed in her eyes. I pulled her to the side as Chaerin was being escorted out.

 

"You should have let me kill her," Dara hissed. I grabbed her wrists, trying to calm her down. She broke into shocked, hurt sobs. Every time she let a sob escape, the edges of my heart hurt. I pulled her into a hug, and she cried into my shirt.

 

I was surprised at how well she fit into me, like we were made for each other. I her hair gently.

 

"He said, I hate this place I miss your smile, I miss your face. I wrote a song, girl I wrote a song. She said you make me better boy, I just mailed you a letter boy, and oh so you know I'm still in your sweater boy," I sang softly into her hair. She stopped crying, but didn't pull away from me.

 

"I hate you," she whispered. I chuckled.

 

"Fine by me."

 

She finally pulled away and took a deep breath. Mrs. Lee walked over.

 

"We're going to cancel today's rehearsal," she said sweetly. Dara nodded, and walked over to her stuff. I followed her out and we walked home together. I dropped Dara off and walked slowly to my house. I opened the door and put my bag down. My mom was on the couch talking with her new 'friend' Soo-Man. I rolled my eyes as my mom broke out into a laugh and shuffled closer to him on the couch. I plopped my bag down with a loud thump and they shuffled away.

 

"Jiyong, hello!" my mom said quickly. "I was just making dinner."

 

I nodded and plastered a smile on my face. "Good to know."

 

She looked down and cleared awkwardly.

"Well, I guess I'll go check on it," she said. Soo-Man followed her and I retreated to my room.

 

I walked past my computer. I tended not to go on it anymore; the Sohee e-mails were getting to be too much. I headed straight for my bed and flopped on it. I pulled out the book Wuthering Heights and began to read it. I was engrossed in it. I could see the characters in the setting, moving around and interacting....

 

"Jiyong!" my mom's voice called. "Supper!"

 

I closed the book and bounded down the stairs. I walked into the kitchen and saw-surprise, surprise- Soo-Man sitting next to my mother in the place my father used to always sit. I narrowed my eyes.

 

"I thought this was supposed to be a family dinner," I hissed. "Soo-Man isn't apart of our family."

 

My mother's eyes shot to me. "Jiyong Hart, you will apologize this instant."

 

I ignored her request and sat down next to Minzy. She played with her fork nervously.

 

"I don't want Soo-Man to be here," she whispered in my ear.

 

"Neither do-"

 

"Hey, no secrets," my mom snapped. I scowled and took a bite of my tortellini. My mom frowned at me.

 

"What?" I asked, annoyed.

 

"Let's say grace," my mom said, holding out her hands.

 

I snorted. "Since when do we say grace?"

 

Soo-Man frowned deeply at me. "Saying grace is a good thing, Jiyong. Nothing humorous about it."

 

I shot my eyes at him, and nodded once.

 

"Good to know Sir." said.

 

We said grace, and then began to eat, though I wasn't too hungry. I kept my gaze on my mom and Soo-Man. They talked quietly to themselves, my mom cracking a smile every so often. I knew I should be happy for my mom to be involved in a new relationship, but it bugged me.

 

"So, Soo-Man," I said casually. "How old are you?"

 

He looked at me. "I'm forty-two."

 

I nodded and smiled. "So that means my mom is a cougar."

 

My mom turned bright pink, but Soo-Man chuckled.

 

"Soo-Man, what do you see in my mom?" I asked again. "Is it her looks?"

 

"We're not dating, Jiyong," my mom hissed. I nodded defensively.

 

"Alright, alright. Don't chew on me," I replied.

 

I turned to Soo-Man. "I think it's her time of the month," I whispered. Soo-Man chuckled, and my mom stood up.

 

"Jiyong, get in the kitchen. I would like to speak to you. Now."

 

I stood up and brought my plates to the kitchen. My mom slapped my lightly on the back of the head.

 

"Ow!" I said. "What was that?"

 

"Behave, Jiyong. I don't know where this rebellious side is coming from." She stared at me. "Maybe your father was right. Maybe you shouldn't do any more acting."

 

Her words stung me like a hundred bees. I felt like I'd just been slapped. But the hurt turned to anger.

 

"Then why don't you go find him?" I hissed. I ran out the front door and to my car. I started it. I drove down the dark streets, trying to get anywhere but here.

 

I found myself at a Starbucks. A group of teens were waiting in the cold, all huddled together. I idled in my car. I suddenly gazed out the window and saw Dara. She walked up to the group and they mauled her with a hug. I quickly got out and followed them inside. They ordered their drinks, and then sat at a booth. Dara began talking quickly. I strided over to them.

 

~Dara’s POV~

 

 "Dara," somebody mumbled. I turned saw Jiyong there. I felt my face flare red.

 

"Jiyong-"

 

 "Oh. My. Goodness," Kang Hee said. "It's Kwon Jiyong."

 

Jiyong smiled at them. "You must be the amazing best friends I've heard so much about."

 

Jiyong sat next to me, our shoulders touching. A single butterfly let loose in my stomach. I punched myself. I hated Jiyong for making me fall slightly for him. I was expecting Byul, Bommie and Hyuna to go all obsessed on him, but they sat there and smiled. Jiyong put his arm around me, and their mouths gaped open. I shrugged away awkwardly. He chuckled.

 

"Are you seriously still playing hard to get?" he asked, raising and eyebrow. I bit my lip in frustration.

 

"Yes," I muttered. He chuckled again and smiled.

 

"I'm Jiyong," he said, extending his hand. They all took it, letting go a little too late.

"So you and Dara are friends?" Hyuna asked, gripping onto the table. Jiyong nodded and beamed.

 

"We're best friend," he gushed.

 

The other chuckled, but I buried my face. Lord, let this be over.

 

I heard Jiyong humming his song again. Butterfly Song. I took a peek at the others' reactions. They seemed to be amazed.

 

"You're unbelievable at singing," Bommie said. Jiyong shrugged, his smile never leaving.

 

"I'm recording a duet with Justin Bieber next week," he said. They nodded.

 

"I think you should make another album." Byul gushed. Jiyong's eyes twinkled.

 

"I'll consider that," he said. He scooped me up from my little ball I'd attempted to curl into. He propped me up right and winked at me.

 

"You're stalking me again, aren't you?" I narrowed my eyes. He pretended to be hurt.

 

"Dara, how could you say that? Of course I'm not stalking you!" he protested. I couldn't help but laugh. I heard my friends laugh too.

 

After twenty minutes or so, I found myself leaning closer and closer to Jiyong. I quickly pulled myself up and leaned the other way. But, I continued to find myself leaning to Jiyong somehow.

It was time to leave, and we all filed out of the building.

 

"Want a drive home?" Jiyong asked me, helping me put my jacket on.

 

"Sure," I replied with a smile. He excused himself to the bathroom and I turned to my friends. They all smiled at me. "What?" I asked them.

 

"Look like you and Jiyong are pretty tight." Byul elbowed me. I elbowed her back.

 

"We're friends, yeah," I said defensively.

 

"You sure you're just friends?" Hyuna asked. "I mean, I know that he likes you."

 

"Do you like him?" Bommie asked excitedly. I shrugged. They all burst into giggles.

 

Jiyong came back and asked what was up.

 

"Nothing! Bye guys!" I waved and quickly grabbed Jiyong. I walked to his car quickly. I felt him smile.

 

"Next stop," Jiyong said turning the keys in the ignition. "Dara's house."

 

Once we reached my house, we stayed parked in the driveway for a bit. I remember my parents saying that they were going to bring Taemin to a movie, so if I came home and the lights were out they weren't home.

 

I suddenly felt a hand cupping my cheek. I turned and saw Jiyong smiling at me. I felt myself blush under his touch. He chuckled.

 

"Why do you always do that?" he asked. "Why are you always blushing?"

 

I shrugged, and blushed harder. He chuckled again and leaned in closer. There was soon a short distance between our faces.

 

"You don't need to be embarrassed," he whispered. His warm breath smelled like coffee beans and mint. I soon felt his lips press against mine gently. I felt my fingers lace in his and I enjoyed the kiss....

 

I woke up with a start. I looked around my room, gasping. I suddenly sighed with relief. It was real. It was just a dream. A little part of me was disappointed that the kiss hadn't happened. But most of me was glad. I looked at the time. It was four in the morning. I got out of bed and got ready for school. I headed down the stairs and took out a bowl of cereal. I ate it while reading the newspaper.

 

At school, I couldn't bring myself to look at Jiyong. Whenever I did, I would get all giddy. So, I refrained from looking at him.

 

"You ready for rehearsal?" a voice called. I shut my locker, jumping at the sighed of Jiyong leaning against the lockers.

 

"Yeah," I said once I got my breathing back to normal. I slung my bag over my shoulder and we walked to the drama room. I pushed through the big wooden doors to the stage.

 

"Places people! Only two weeks until production! Ah, Dara and Jiyong you're late," Mrs. Lee frowned. We put our bags down quickly and took our positions.

 

"Alright let's rehearse the scene where Peter and Agatha first learn about the sisters," Mr. Kim mused. Jiyong cleared his throat before beginning.

 

"Agatha, we have to run, my love. We must leave before it's too late," Peter's voice was strained.

 

"Peter, I have to make things right. I must stop my sisters before it's too late."

 

Peter stamped his foot in frustration. "Agatha, what if I loose you?"

 

"Cut!" Mrs. Lee called. We looked at her. "Jiyong, take Dara's face in your hands. Yes, like that. Alright, action!"

 

We started again. My heart was racing slightly as my face was cupped in Jiyong's hands. My dream was coming true. My heart accelerated again.

 

"Peter," I said, my voice cracking. "I'll always be with you. Even in death, I will be with you."

 

"Agatha," Peter whispered. "Please, stay with me. Or let me help you defeat your horrid sisters!"

 

I placed my hand on Jiyong's cheek. "I cannot let you do that, Peter dear. For if I do, we will loose each other."

"At least, let me give you one last kiss." Peter whispered. Jiyong leaned in, closer and closer. I braced myself, but Mr. Kim called "Scene!"

 

Jiyong's hands lingered on my face for two extra seconds, then let go. I saw that Mrs. Lee had tears in her eyes. I couldn't wait to see what she'd be like a opening production.

 

Rehearsals soon ended and Jiyong and I walked home. We took turns kicking a

snowball on the dirt road.

 

"Two weeks until opening production," Jiyong said once the snowball had crumbled. I nodded.

 

"Yup," I replied.

 

He grinned, looking at the horizon. "Two weeks until I get to kiss you."

 

I smiled to myself. No, two weeks until I get to kiss you.

 

 

 

 

 

-----------------------

Hello! Performance! FTW!